DICE: removing BF3 colour grading is too colourful, threatens with perm ban

• 135 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

RyanBurnsRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 RyanBurnsRed
Member since 2012 • 201 Posts

[QUOTE="lordreaven"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"] It makes me feel like I'm in a war, it's a shame it doesn't do the same for you. Your loss I guess. War isn't always about tactical and slow strategy like ArmA, it's at time hectic where you don't know what's happening. FelipeInside
I'm not even talking about game play, for if it were game play RO2, and Planetside 2 (2 different shooters in style AND game play) do a better job game play wise. I am referring to the art. BF3 looks bad due to the saturation and extreme bloom. ARMA 2 is brighter and more colourful. Is that not sad that a Mil sim that focuses more on gameplay to make it a sim also smacks around an arcade shooter with Graphics in mind? To make it worse ARMA 2 is older.

I guess it depends on taste like always. To me BF3 looks better than ArmA2. It does sometimes have too much bloom etc, but I don't let that stop me enjoying the game....which seems to be what other people here do.

Arma 2 doesn't look as undersaturated and blueish gray like BF3.

I don't tihnk BF3 grpahics are bad, I just think they could have been a lot better. The water doesn't look like water and the fires don't look like actual fire.

it looks washed out and bland and I personally hate that. At least what they could do is add a saturation slider like Rockstar does in Red Dead and GTA 4.

mep69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102 mep69
Member since 2008 • 1926 Posts
Some games are just better with more colour. If wow had the same tint and bf3 i don't think many people would play it. Maybe i dont play battlefield 3 that much because the colour is horrible.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts
Some games are just better with more colour. If wow had the same tint and bf3 i don't think many people would play it. Maybe i dont play battlefield 3 that much because the colour is horrible.mep69
do you really judge a game by its colour? Like not play it cause of the COLOUR? Then games like Limbo must suck.cause its in Black and White...
jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 jhonMalcovich
Member since 2010 • 7090 Posts

I prefer this overzealous anti-cheat policy over COD´s cheat as much as you want.

Do you will enjoy this grading mod in multiplayer if some guy starts to shoot you through the walls ?

o0squishy0o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#105 o0squishy0o
Member since 2007 • 2802 Posts
[QUOTE="mep69"]Some games are just better with more colour. If wow had the same tint and bf3 i don't think many people would play it. Maybe i dont play battlefield 3 that much because the colour is horrible.FelipeInside
do you really judge a game by its colour? Like not play it cause of the COLOUR? Then games like Limbo must suck.cause its in Black and White...

Well maybe he preferes asthetics over gameplay, either way I will agree with you on how not playing a game because of its colour is stupid, unless its an extreme case of really horrible colour that makes it unplayable. My point was not saying DICEs team are a bunch of hacks when it comes to art, however in your comparison to WoW we can compare it quite easily. WoW has the far supperior art direction. There is a great video somewhere that shows the difference between asthetics and graphics. The problem with BF3 for alot of people is that it is to desaturated, its quite like the Brown era of the early Gears of War and Killzone. These games were notoriously desaturated in an attempt to give a sense of gritty war like feel. However I think filters such as these, I'll admit I have not played the game, so my opinion is coming from videos and stills is that much like when you apply a filter over something it blends all the colours to that one colour. A great example is to think of looking outside through some clear glass, then look through some tainted colour glass, everything starts to blend in to one colour, thus you lose contrast, you lose certain colours that blend into one colour, and finally you lose colour completely. It doesnt mean everything has to be bright green, blue, red and yellow etc.
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#106 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
Some games are just better with more colour. If wow had the same tint and bf3 i don't think many people would play it. Maybe i dont play battlefield 3 that much because the colour is horrible.mep69
it depends on the art style if you are going for a certain style you go for that, and WoW is colorful BF3's art direction isn't all bout consistency
General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 General_X
Member since 2003 • 9137 Posts

Changing the color grading will make enemy players more visible giving you an advantage. Other injector mods cut down on the sun glare which gives an advantage.

It sucks, and DICE better be listening to people and see the mods people are making to get around their terrible color filters, but it is a large enough advantage to be unfair.

Mods like this could also add in client-side gameplay bonuses.

It's childish to not think it through and just make stupid accusations.

Wasdie
This, color hacks have been used for many many years to give people advantages by making the enemies stand-out vibrantly against the background. Changing colors can give give one player a major advantage over others, even if that wasn't the original intent.
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#108 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

[QUOTE="mitu123"]

[QUOTE="slimjimbadboy"]

I completely agree. The sky and water are the only things that truely look better imo. They went too far when trying to fix everything else. A happy medium would have been much better.

JangoWuzHere

I disagree with both of you, the game looks more like BF2 with color grading and seeing how it's suppose to be the real deal to that game it makes sense, not to mention since when has real life ever had blue and gray shading at all time?

I have no love for Battlefield 2, so I could careless if it looked more it. I think the color grading makes a lot of the effects and environment look really bad. The trees and vegetation all look completely out of place, the maps all look waaaay more brown now, buildings and objects don't blend well together in certain spots, and some lighting looks terrible now because everything is far more bright and colorful.

I don't come into games looking for realistic graphics. I enjoy the tinted coloring on the maps, it gives them a a nice unique look. I think Metro looks simply awful with the color grading. It completely destroys the look of that map.

Having seeing some screens, I now agree with you...

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts
I love how everyone at the beginning was hating on DICE but after seeing screenshots (not just the select few good ones the video shows) everyone can see why the grading is there. It looks better in a lot of areas.
SharkheadHD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 SharkheadHD
Member since 2012 • 227 Posts
Wow, the game really does look nicer with the color grading removed. What a shame. I suppose they had to conform to the blue theme of the game though.
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 mitu123

I love how everyone at the beginning was hating on DICE but after seeing screenshots (not just the select few good ones the video shows) everyone can see why the grading is there. It looks better in a lot of areas.Toxic-Seahorse
DICE could easily make the game look better without that gray and blue fliter, they're just lazy. I hope BF4 doesn't have it or else...

Zubinen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 Zubinen
Member since 2011 • 2555 Posts
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"] I want my games to be fun, immersive. Why buy an expensive gaming machine to turn down graphics.

I played on max settings for SP/COOP but I found I got the best visibility with digital vibrance turned up to 100% in Nvidia control panel with these settings: http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k202/Zubinek/BF3compsettings_zps4e0d2b93.png
timma25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 timma25
Member since 2005 • 1131 Posts

[QUOTE="Bikouchu35"]

Wow EA/Dice can go to hell for this. I won't be spending another penny on their bf games in the future.

cyborg100000

I hear this every few months with every EA game. It's like people have no principles and still go out, buy EA games and a few months down the line threaten to quit for the 1000th dick move by them. See you in BF4.

We have winner, gg thread.

SharkheadHD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 SharkheadHD

[QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"]I love how everyone at the beginning was hating on DICE but after seeing screenshots (not just the select few good ones the video shows) everyone can see why the grading is there. It looks better in a lot of areas.mitu123

DICE could easily make the game look better without that gray and blue fliter, they're just lazy. I hope BF4 doesn't have it or else...

What do you think they could do to make it look better?
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#115 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
I love how everyone at the beginning was hating on DICE but after seeing screenshots (not just the select few good ones the video shows) everyone can see why the grading is there. It looks better in a lot of areas.Toxic-Seahorse
i think that while the grading is bad, it shouldn't be completely removed. the lens filter adds to the mood and blends things together more. some maps have it too strong, some maps have it right (gulf of oman's filter nails the arid atmosphere from a desert, for example). the mod's ability to tweak individual levels should make it easy to get things to look how you want. maybe in the future even put the amount of tint you want.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 BrunoBRS
[QUOTE="mitu123"]

[QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"]I love how everyone at the beginning was hating on DICE but after seeing screenshots (not just the select few good ones the video shows) everyone can see why the grading is there. It looks better in a lot of areas.SharkheadHD

if they worked without the filter from the start, the blending would be better. but instead they relied on the filter to do the blending, and as a result removing it causes those clashing, overcontrasted colors to show up. now that normally wouldn't be a problem, because removing the filter shouldn't be a thing, but the color grading is so strong people are constantly, desperately trying to find new ways to get rid of it.
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 mitu123

[QUOTE="mitu123"]

[QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"]I love how everyone at the beginning was hating on DICE but after seeing screenshots (not just the select few good ones the video shows) everyone can see why the grading is there. It looks better in a lot of areas.SharkheadHD

Have filters that don't rely on a very few colors that doesn't fit for all maps for a start.

SharkheadHD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 SharkheadHD
[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"] if they worked without the filter from the start, the blending would be better. but instead they relied on the filter to do the blending, and as a result removing it causes those clashing, overcontrasted colors to show up. now that normally wouldn't be a problem, because removing the filter shouldn't be a thing, but the color grading is so strong people are constantly, desperately trying to find new ways to get rid of it.

I agree, it would have been nice for there to be multiple modes of color grading. For instance take a look at Payday: The Heist, an FPS centered around pulling off robberies while fending off waves of law enforcement. It has at least six modes of color grading, making the game look fresh even after I play it countless times because all I have to do is switch to another color mode and it does a great job at changing the ambiance of the game. Here's a video demonstrating my example, just click through different parts of it to see the different color gradings http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2MEiTuMdFE
quebec946

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#119 quebec946
Member since 2007 • 1607 Posts

another reason not to play this game anymore.

Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

[QUOTE="mitu123"]

Stop at slide 15?

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="SharkheadHD"][QUOTE="mitu123"] DICE could easily make the game look better without that gray and blue fliter, they're just lazy. I hope BF4 doesn't have it or else...

Baranga

Stop at slide 15?

nah, the tinted bloom adds to it. it's the final grading that can be overkill. as for lens glare, try staring at the sun and tell me what you see. it's actually a valid strategy for a pilot to fly towards the sun to make it harder for his chaser to shoot him, or a recon to put himself directly against the sun, to make him harder to spot.
Zubinen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 Zubinen
Something like this seems more reasonable than removing the filter: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02QRozsJ6Cc&hd=1&t=19s Also the blue seems to be quite upsetting as this video demonstrates: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sK_qxy9ve68&hd=1
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 mitu123

Something like this seems more reasonable than removing the filter: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02QRozsJ6Cc&hd=1&t=19sZubinen
That looks better than FXAA Injector!

Zubinen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 Zubinen

[QUOTE="Zubinen"]Something like this seems more reasonable than removing the filter: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02QRozsJ6Cc&hd=1&t=19smitu123

That looks better than FXAA Injector!

And it maintains the blue skies of the second video :P
Bangerman15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 Bangerman15
Member since 2010 • 1978 Posts
I hate how everything is so dark in the regular game, love it with color
Avatar image for hartsickdiscipl
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#126 hartsickdiscipl
Member since 2003 • 14787 Posts

The game looks so much better with the mod. I think it should be officially adopted.

MyopicCanadian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#127 MyopicCanadian
Member since 2004 • 8345 Posts

My God... I wish I could play BF3 with proper colours like that. I don't mind when developers want to shoot for certain colour gradients to project a certain feel, but it honestly does just bother my eyes because I'm searching between different shades of grey for the enemy. So because of that, I've always wanted a toggle for that stuff. Dirt and Dirt 2's browns and overuse of bloom did the same thing to me, and kind of ruined the game imo.

Avatar image for broken_bass_bin
broken_bass_bin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 broken_bass_bin
Member since 2009 • 7515 Posts

Am I the only one who prefers it with the normal colour grading? The modded scenes look like a cartoon.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#129 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Am I the only one who prefers it with the normal colour grading? The modded scenes look like a cartoon.

broken_bass_bin

Gamers in general love to overreact to things like "brown and bloom" and then go to the opposite end of the spectrum. BF3's default color grading isn't that great. It's way too blue and the colors are too washed out. That said usually these mods go way overboard with the colors and really ruin the saturation. A happy middle ground is needed.

ddlcpc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 ddlcpc
Member since 2007 • 887 Posts

Mojority of the map looked good in colour.....

bonafidetk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 bonafidetk
Member since 2004 • 3911 Posts
Its fairly obvious why this was eventually disallowed. Theres probably no way for DICE / Punkbuster to tell the difference between a harmless colour grading change like this and full out injected colouring cheats like bright pink enemies.
Zubinen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 Zubinen
[QUOTE="Zubinen"]Something like this seems more reasonable than removing the filter: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02QRozsJ6Cc&hd=1&t=19s Also the blue seems to be quite upsetting as this video demonstrates: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sK_qxy9ve68&hd=1&t=2m52s

My God... I wish I could play BF3 with proper colours like that. I don't mind when developers want to shoot for certain colour gradients to project a certain feel, but it honestly does just bother my eyes because I'm searching between different shades of grey for the enemy. So because of that, I've always wanted a toggle for that stuff. Dirt and Dirt 2's browns and overuse of bloom did the same thing to me, and kind of ruined the game imo.

MyopicCanadian
The actual reason for color filters is to hide flaws in textures(which I'm sure will be the case even when we start getting 10k+ textures) and this is the case with pretty much every major 3D game nowadays, Dishonored is much more extreme with its filter so I can only imagine the backlash once people see it without it.
HavocEbonlore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 HavocEbonlore
Member since 2007 • 483 Posts

I was going to reinstall when I saw this amazing mod, but after the ban threat I think I'll stay away. I'm playing the Planetside 2 beta anyway.

yellosnolvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#135 yellosnolvr
Member since 2005 • 19302 Posts
i'll just be the guy to say that removing the filter makes it a little too colorful, but keeping it on makes it unrealistic at points with the excessive amount of blue. i just want it toned down on a few maps, other than that, it's got its unique art direction that i can understand and enjoy.