DICE: No mods for Battlefield 4

• 97 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 0

#1 Miroku32
Member since 2006 • 8666 Posts

Excerpt of the article:

DICE general manager Karl-Magnus Troedsson confirmed to PC Gamer at E3 that Battlefield 4 will not support mods. Troedsson caveated that user-generated content is something that DICE finds very interesting, and that its something the studio has been talking about at a high level.

PCG: Is there any chance of Battlefield 4 being moddable?

Karl-Magnus Troedsson, DICE GM: We get that question a lot. I always answer the same thing, and then the community calls me bad names. We get the feedback, we understand it. We also would like to see more player-created content, but we would never do something like this if we feel we couldnt do this 100 percent. That means we need to have the right tools available, we need to have the right security around this regarding what parts of the engine we let loose, so to say. So for BF4 we dont have any planned mod support, I have to be blunt about saying that. We dont.

Full Article

Personally, my stance on this is of complete indifference.

yellosnolvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#2 yellosnolvr
Member since 2005 • 19302 Posts
ffs
alan_carter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 alan_carter
Member since 2009 • 1404 Posts

Battlefield 4=Battlefield 3=No mods.

SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

That sucks. I get that it's tough to do that with a new engine and it takes time, but even basic modding or a map editor would be fine for me.

BF is the sort of game that almost needs a map editor for people to come along and make amazingly fun maps to play in.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

I wish the CS games didn't allow user created content.

olol surfing, gungame, garbage maps, etc.

way2funny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#6 way2funny
Member since 2003 • 4570 Posts

That sucks. I get that it's tough to do that with a new engine and it takes time, but even basic modding or a map editor would be fine for me.

BF is the sort of game that almost needs a map editor for people to come along and make amazingly fun maps to play in.

SPYDER0416

Its really not that tough. The thing is if they allow mods, then they wont be able to sell their crappy DLC.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts
People really need to start realizing that the new names for MODS is called INDIE now.
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#8 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Oh well, we have ARMA3 and Rising Storm for mods :cool:

mep69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 mep69
Member since 2008 • 1926 Posts

Excerpt of the article:

DICE general manager Karl-Magnus Troedsson confirmed to PC Gamer at E3 that Battlefield 4 will not support mods. Troedsson caveated that user-generated content is something that DICE finds very interesting, and that its something the studio has been talking about at a high level.

PCG: Is there any chance of Battlefield 4 being moddable?

Karl-Magnus Troedsson, DICE GM: We get that question a lot. I always answer the same thing, and then the community calls me bad names. We get the feedback, we understand it. We also would like to see more player-created content, but we would never do something like this if we feel we could Make Lots of Cash. That means we need to have Low Sales, we need to have the right security around this regarding what parts of the engine we let loose, so to say. So for BF4 we dont have any planned mod support, I have to be blunt about saying that. We dont.

Full Article

Personally, my stance on this is of complete indifference.

Miroku32

Fixed

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#10 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Does this suprise anybody? DICE is pretty content not putting out mod tools for their engine. It would be nice but I'm not going to make them the enemy for the decision.

Bethesda sells plenty of DLC along side their PC version of their games despite the mods and so do other games. So that's probably not the main reason.

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts

[QUOTE="SPYDER0416"]

way2funny

Its really not that tough. The thing is if they allow mods, then they wont be able to sell their crappy DLC.

Well no, there really is an issue with licensing. 

Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Miroku32

kozzy1234

Im still waiting the DayZ standalone :evil:

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 kozzy1234

[QUOTE="way2funny"]

[QUOTE="SPYDER0416"]

Jebus213

Well no, there really is an issue with licensing. 

Nice sig my man:lol:

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Wasdie  Moderator

[QUOTE="SPYDER0416"]

way2funny

Other devs sell their DLC fine along side of mods. The PC community represents like 1/3rd of all sales so adding mod tools wouldn't drop their DLC sales by much if at all. Clearly there are other reasons it's just much easier to point a finger and make them the enemy. 

Licensing is always a difficult thing. Games like Rising Storm and ArmA 3 get the advantages of engines built for modding. They use a very low amount of licensed tech OR have worked out deals with their licenses (Unreal 3 Engine is built for free development). The Frostbite Engine wasn't built like that. It was built to have pretty much the best stuff it can and that meant more restrictive licenses. 

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 kozzy1234

[QUOTE="kozzy1234"]

Miroku32

Can't wait to continue my medic work in the standalone :cool:

HyperWarlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 HyperWarlock
Member since 2011 • 3295 Posts

[QUOTE="way2funny"]

[QUOTE="SPYDER0416"]

Wasdie

Other devs sell their DLC fine along side of mods. The PC community represents like 1/3rd of all sales so adding mod tools wouldn't drop their DLC sales by much if at all. Clearly there are other reasons it's just much easier to point a finger and make them the enemy. 

Licensing is always a difficult thing. Games like Rising Storm and ArmA 3 get the advantages of engines built for modding. They use a very low amount of licensed tech OR have worked out deals with their licenses (Unreal 3 Engine is built for free development). The Frostbite Engine wasn't built like that. It was built to have pretty much the best stuff it can and that meant more restrictive licenses. 

We represent nowhere close to 1/3rd. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#17 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

[QUOTE="kozzy1234"]

Miroku32

Don't remind me.. :(
SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

[QUOTE="way2funny"]

HyperWarlock

I think you're proving his point if you're saying we represent less than 1/3 of BF sales.

I mean, along with the mentioned restrictions that come with trying to make modding possible on Frostbite, for less than 1/3 of potential consumers is it really worth it?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

eh, not that big a deal. BF4 still looks pretty great

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Wasdie  Moderator

[QUOTE="HyperWarlock"]

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

SPYDER0416

I think you're proving his point if you're saying we represent less than 1/3 of BF sales.

I mean, along with the mentioned restrictions that come with trying to make modding possible on Frostbite, for less than 1/3 of potential consumers is it really worth it?

Exactly this. Too much work for too little of an audience. 

pawq4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 pawq4
Member since 2013 • 448 Posts

Who would've thunk it?

I mean really, who didn't see this coming?

CoolSkAGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 CoolSkAGuy
Member since 2006 • 9665 Posts
BF hasn't been BF since BF2 so whateves.
nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#23 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
mod tools would be huge but I never expected support for it. DICE are already adding a bunch of community requested features into BF4 like spector, commander, larger squads, c4 recon, more customisation, massive destruction by players etc.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

Don't really care, the way BF is built now, it doesnt need mods and making them fit into it would be a nightmare

The_Capitalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 The_Capitalist
Member since 2004 • 10838 Posts

Meh, don't have enough time for mods anyway. I really don't mind. 

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
I hope infantry engineers/demolition becomes viable again. One of the things I loved doing in Bad Company 2 was taking down helicopters and destroying tanks. It was my favorite class in BC2. In BF3, the engineer felt so gimped that I didn't even bother with it. Too many players cried about the Stinger, which is only viable if you team up with another engineer player.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

I hope infantry engineers/demolition becomes viable again. One of the things I loved doing in Bad Company 2 was taking down helicopters and destroying tanks. It was my favorite class in BC2. In BF3, the engineer felt so gimped that I didn't even bother with it. Too many players cried about the Stinger, which is only viable if you team up with another engineer player.Elann2008

I love engie in BF3, it was like the best of assault combined with AT

NamelessPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 NamelessPlayer
Member since 2004 • 7729 Posts
The series hasn't had mods on PC since Bad Company 2. Or LAN support, for that matter...you can kiss multiplayer goodbye if EA pulls the plug on all those servers one day. At least if the BF1942/BF:V/BF2 master servers go down, you can still use a tunneling service to get around that. Then again, the high points of the franchise were BF1942 and BF2 anyway, and both of those have plenty of mods to choose from. Might as well keep playing the good games in the series...
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

If there was user generated content they couldn't charge for DLC, as said above.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts
I dont care anymore, they are good games regardless.
Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Miroku32

If there was user generated content they couldn't charge for DLC, as said above.

kraken2109
Bethesda has charged for Fallout 3, New Vegas and Skyrim DLC and those games have a lot of mods.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Wasdie  Moderator

kraken2109

Yeah I'm sure they would be so concerned about a small decrease in their DLC sales from 1/4th of their community.

It could be that they don't want to spend the time or the money to support mods for that same 1/4th slice of their community. Or does that make too much sense? 

Travis_Odell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Travis_Odell
Member since 2008 • 1775 Posts
They should at least release mod tools for BFBC2 that would bring some new life into my favorite bf game. But i don't really care, ea is selfish nickle and dime pos that just happen to make the best fps that everyone loves so i guess they get a pass.
R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46556 Posts

Does this suprise anybody? DICE is pretty content not putting out mod tools for their engine. It would be nice but I'm not going to make them the enemy for the decision.

Bethesda sells plenty of DLC along side their PC version of their games despite the mods and so do other games. So that's probably not the main reason.

Wasdie

It's a shame though. Battlefield 1942 had so many awesome mods. I'm sure they had an impact on the creation of Battlefront and definitely had an impact on Battlefield 2.

bonafidetk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 bonafidetk
Member since 2004 • 3911 Posts
its not really to do with not selling DLC imo. Not releasing mod tools is to intentionally kill the longevity of the game. A lot of people would not buy a new iteration of the franchise if there was amazing user made content for the current release.
Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

BF3 didn't have mods. Why would BF4 be any different?

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Not releasing mod tools is probably more of a way to prevent hacking.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

[QUOTE="kraken2109"]

Wasdie

Yeah I'm sure they would be so concerned about a small decrease in their DLC sales from 1/4th of their community.

It could be that they don't want to spend the time or the money to support mods for that same 1/4th slice of their community. Or does that make too much sense? 

Look at Skyrim
Travis_Odell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Travis_Odell
I honestly think that if BF4 had mod support it would out sell Cod Ghost at least on pc.
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

I honestly think that if BF4 had mod support it would out sell Cod Ghost at least on pc.Travis_Odell

the people that buy CoD don;t care about mod support

robokill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 robokill
Member since 2007 • 1392 Posts
why are people getting their panties in a bunch not being able to mod an online shooter that's on dedicated servers?
Travis_Odell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Travis_Odell
why are people getting their panties in a bunch not being able to mod an online shooter that's on dedicated servers?robokill
Because this is a forum, and we can discuss what ever we want good or bad fake or true. If you don't like it don't take the time to respond were not all zombies like you.
nunovlopes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 nunovlopes
Member since 2009 • 2638 Posts

[QUOTE="SPYDER0416"]

way2funny

What crappy DLC is that? BF3 map packs were all awesome.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#44 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

[QUOTE="SPYDER0416"]

way2funny

Exactly this. All the talk about how difficult it would be to make modding possible, or the security needed, etc. is all bullshit. They want to sell a bazillion DLC packs, and PC gamers won't buy them if they have mountains of (probably) better content, for free. Simple as that.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Wasdie  Moderator

[QUOTE="way2funny"]

[QUOTE="SPYDER0416"]

the_bi99man

Exactly this. All the talk about how difficult it would be to make modding possible, or the security needed, etc. is all bullshit. They want to sell a bazillion DLC packs, and PC gamers won't buy them if they have mountains of (probably) better content, for free. Simple as that.

Again. You're saying they are worried about a small decrease in total DLC sales (look at Bethesda, they sell to their PC community just fine despite the mods) instead of them not wanting to renegotiate licensing fees that could cost millions (not an exaggeration) so they can spend other hundreds of thousands of dollars developing and documenting mod tools for the smallest community of Battlefield fans all while their work would not see any real net gain in profit. What, you think mod tools don't cost hundreds of thousands to develop and millions more to to maintain and support? You think people are willing to work for free?

It makes absolutly no sense. I guess it's just easier to make them the enemy becuase basic logic is too difficult.

The PC community makes up less than 1/4th of total Battlefield sales today. Why should they spend millions to develop tools that will see them very little gain for such a small community? Their DLC will still be sold to the other 3/4ths so the amount they would lose out on would be tiny. Other games, like Skyrim, prove that depsite mods people are willing to purchase DLC. So at the most we're looking at a a tiny percent of DLC sales dropping due to mod support that could cost them litterally millions for minimal gain. The only real gain would be that you guys can now bitch at modders for not putting out content for you to play for free instead of bitching at DICE for not putting out the tools in the first place.

I've seen it happen before.

way2funny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 way2funny

[QUOTE="way2funny"]

[QUOTE="SPYDER0416"]

nunovlopes

Sure they were awesome, but they were nickle and diming everything they released. Someone could have easily made a mod that mimics new maps that wouldnt have to be paid for, Someone could also make a mod just enabling all the guns you couldnt use or haven't unlocked yet.

The difference with Bethesda games is they are RPGs. The DLC/expansions they release are content-story based. Its a lot harder to replicate bethesda's DLC which is why bethesda can still sell DLC for their RPGs and a whole lot easier to just make a mod that allows people to use any gun even if they didnt unlock it.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Wasdie  Moderator

[QUOTE="nunovlopes"]

[QUOTE="way2funny"]

way2funny

Sure they were awesome, but they were nickle and diming everything they released. Someone could have easily made a mod that mimics new maps that wouldnt have to be paid for, Someone could also make a mod just enabling all the guns you couldnt use or haven't unlocked yet.

The difference with Bethesda games is they are RPGs. The DLC/expansions they release are content-story based. Its a lot harder to replicate bethesda's DLC which is why bethesda can still sell DLC for their RPGs and a whole lot easier to just make a mod that allows people to use any gun even if they didnt unlock it.

That's a shitty difference. Just saying. You're desperately trying to justify the fact you want free content at the expense of the developer. Who are you to say what is easier or more difficult? 

They weren't nickle and diminig anybody. They were well worth their value. Four new maps, new weapons, new vehicles, and usually a new game mode was well worth its $15 value. You've probably never developed a multiplayer level from scatch (not using some level editor and pre-fabricated obects and textures like in the Unreal 3 Engine, CryEngine 2-3, or Source engine) or have ever spent time coding your own game mode for a video game. But yeah, it's all really easy when you look at the surface and write it all down in a post on the internet. 

You'll probably come back saying how easy it is for some modder to do it but I can only see very rare cases where mod teams can produce that level of quality and NO cases where they can produce that level of quality 4 times over a year.

Simpley put, people don't like to work for free. You want them to work for free.

way2funny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 way2funny

[QUOTE="way2funny"]

[QUOTE="nunovlopes"]

Wasdie

That's a shitty difference. Just saying.

You're desperatly trying to justify the fact you want free content at th expense of the developer.

No, I'm just saying thats why they dont release mod tools for battlefield anymore, and why bethesda can release mod tools and DLC. I don't care for battlefield. And just as a reminder some great things came out of the old battlefield mods (Desert Combat is a popular example) and they were still able to sell expansion packs for it (DLC). But the way DLC has become, basically microtransactions, allowing mods would be contradictory.

Bethesda also releases their games on multiple platforms but still gives mod tools out. Thats something to consider.

way2funny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 way2funny

[QUOTE="way2funny"]

[QUOTE="nunovlopes"]

Wasdie

That's a shitty difference. Just saying. You're desperately trying to justify the fact you want free content at the expense of the developer. Who are you to say what is easier or more difficult? 

They weren't nickle and diminig anybody. They were well worth their value. Four new maps, new weapons, new vehicles, and usually a new game mode was well worth its $15 value. You've probably never developed a multiplayer level from scatch (not using some level editor and pre-fabricated obects and textures like in the Unreal 3 Engine, CryEngine 2-3, or Source engine) or have ever spent time coding your own game mode for a video game. But yeah, it's all really easy when you look at the surface and write it all down in a post on the internet. 

You'll probably come back saying how easy it is for some modder to do it but I can only see very rare cases where mod teams can produce that level of quality and NO cases where they can produce that level of quality 4 times over a year.

Simpley put, people don't like to work for free. You want them to work for free.

Where did I say that? If they believe their content is worth it, they shouldn't be threatened by modders. Its obvious they are, because giving away the mod tools isn't much extra work. And I can say this because I'm in the software industry and have worked on giving out mod tools myself.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Wasdie  Moderator

No, I'm just saying thats why they dont release mod tools for battlefield anymore, and why bethesda can release mod tools and DLC. I don't care for battlefield. And just as a reminder some great things came out of the old battlefield mods (Desert Combat is a popular example) and they were still able to sell expansion packs for it (DLC). But the way DLC has become, basically microtransactions, allowing mods would be contradictory.

Bethesda also releases their games on multiple platforms but still gives mod tools out. Thats something to consider.

way2funny

They don't release Battlefield mod tools anymore becuase they are working with an engine that they utilized a lot of licensed tech which always adds to the complexity of modding tools on the business end. Why should they bother spending time and money developing mod tools from scratch for such a small amount of their total commuinty today? Remember, BF1942 and BF2 were built from tech used in the Quake engine. It was a lot more simple back then than it is today.

Bethesda is still using the engine they built for Morrowind all of those years ago. They've worked the licenseing for the few licensed software components of their engine and have built their game for modding for the past decade. It's just not the same.

By the way. DICE is no stranger to DLC. In fact they were one of the first companies to utilize cheap DLC with 2 map packs for BF2.Â