[Diablo3] Did Blizzard just steal from me?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for blizzerd-steals
blizzerd-steals

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 blizzerd-steals
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

I [used to] possess a copy of Diablo 3 and I made the terrible transgression of trying to play the games in Europe (I live in America).

Apparently Blizzard thought I was a terrorist or something and locked me out of my account.

I was trying to get myself access again through their online process, and it asks for my email, my first and last name and other stuff, and I hit a road block - it turns out it is impossible for me to re-activate my account .

Well, when I first signed up, I put in a fake name, since hey, I've giving them $60, a valid email address, and a valid game key, so why do they need to know who I am? It turns out if they don't have your real name, they will brick your software, keep your $60 and go happily on their merry way.

I didn't write down the fake name when I registered for battle.net since, oh, EVERY other company in the world allows you access to the services you purchase online if you just have an email, password, and cd key if needed. Not blizzard though, they are fighting the terrorists to WIN!

Since I couldn't enter my name, I couldn't unlock my account by myself so I tried to contact blizzard support to help me. But no, the only way to contact blizzard support is through a functioning battlenet account, and mine wasn't functioning.

I had to create a brand new battle.net acct to contact support, asked them if they would please reactivate my account, and was told no way they would do that. They don't care that I have access to the same valid email I used when registering, they don't care that I have a valid key, they don't care that I have the password I used at signup. No it's the NAME that they have to verify.

Blizzard send me an email (below) chastising me for not giving my real name at registration and they say now I have to take a picture of myself holding my ID and also holding the CD so I can prove who I am. You've just gotta read this email to believe it - here...

This is one of several reasons our Terms of Use for Battle.net require you to store correct information with us, as fake names lead to situations like this that you cannot resolve without our help.

We can help you fix the name on your account, but we will need more information from you. Please complete the Battle.net Account Verification Form:

https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/battle-net-terms-of-use-form

Attach this with a dated copy of your ID and a clear digital picture of your Diablo III CD key, manual and CD together with your ID so we can see you are in possession of it and you are who you are claiming to be.

If I don't think I need to give my name after providing $60, a valid email, and password, then why do they think I'll give them my name, a picture of myself, and my driver's license? Obviously (someone like me) would never do that in a million years. No way, ever..

I can't use the game now - $60 down the drain. I did however email Blizzard and tell them what they could do with their "policy" (below)...

Dear Blizzard,

No thanks, I think Ill just toss my copy of Diablo in the trash,

forget about buying any Blizzard products in the future, post my experience

online as a warning to future victims, and just cut my losses.

Your security measures are far beyond what anyone else uses - no one

I know would think things like that were buried in the terms of service.

Just because you make something a "policy" and add it to your terms

of use doesn't make it right.

Fine, keep my $$ and brick the software just because I won't give you my

personal information.

My personal info is just that... personal. I don't have to give it to you

or anyone else - It belongs to me.

superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts

Just take the picture. It'll only take a couple of minutes...

blizzerd-steals

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 blizzerd-steals

@superclocked: nah, Ill pass

Tokeism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Tokeism
Member since 2006 • 2365 Posts

Your own fault, can't blame blizzard

0alex0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 0alex0
Member since 2003 • 317 Posts

Sounds like next time you might want to think of a fake name you will remember.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

Blizzard stole 2 of their game accounts back from me. They are in my mom's name (because I've had the accounts since a child) and contain just about every Blizzard game. Blizzard won't give me the account unless my mom sends them her birth certificate (which we don't possess on hand). I do consider Blizzard to be thieves. It's funny that I've had both of my Blizz accounts stolen (for no good reason, both were inactive), yet my valuable accounts like my Steam accounts have never been jacked...

Falconoffury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Falconoffury
Member since 2003 • 1722 Posts

It doesn't even make sense that he was banned in the first place. He travels to a different part of the world, and playing the game is a problem. Blizzard doesn't deserve the sales they get on their games.

blizzerd-steals

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 blizzerd-steals

@Falconoffury:

yep, they saw I logged in from a different ip address and canned the account - this'll also happen to you if so do something (totally crazy) like log in from a friends house, starbucks, or through a VPN. Yes Oalexo I will remember fake names in the future, however the is the first time in all my years of gaming I have needed to remember a fake name I created - I don't think I can be faulted for not preparing for some random security measure nobody else uses.

It's obvious why real names are soo important to Blizzard - its for marketing purposes not security. Big databases filled with real names are valuable, and the list can be sold to other companies for $$$. This aint about security

gallienb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 gallienb
Member since 2004 • 196 Posts

Things like this really suck when they happen, but it seems a little silly to put all the blame on a security aspect that is there to help you out. I mean just look at how many WoW accounts that have been hacked and more specifically hacked by people from over seas. I'm sure if your account was actually stolen by some one in Europe and they locked the account you would be singing a little different tune. Sorry to hear that this happened to you though.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

@gallienb said:

Things like this really suck when they happen, but it seems a little silly to put all the blame on a security aspect that is there to help you out. I mean just look at how many WoW accounts that have been hacked and more specifically hacked by people from over seas. I'm sure if your account was actually stolen by some one in Europe and they locked the account you would be singing a little different tune. Sorry to hear that this happened to you though.

My accounts weren't even stolen - I simply lost my password and I can't gain access to them. At least if there were stolen, at least someone would be getting use out of them :P

_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 _SKatEDiRt_
Member since 2007 • 3117 Posts

Good luck with your account. I hate when crap like this happens

Led_poison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Led_poison
Member since 2004 • 10146 Posts

Looks like you forgot your secret question. Had this happen to me, all they did was ask for a secret question and reset the pw. Also if you still have your CD key, it works as well.

I think the problem was that you created another account to claim ownership on the original account. And they need proof that the names on the accounts match. I can see why Blizzard is asking for the ID. When you really just need the secret question and or the CD key to re claim ownership on the original account.

Meteor7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 129

#14 Meteor7
Member since 2005 • 534 Posts

Never had this happen to me

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

Sure is user error in here.

Geminon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Geminon
Member since 2012 • 1177 Posts

@blizzerd-steals said:

I [used to] possess a copy of Diablo 3 and I made the terrible transgression of trying to play the games in Europe (I live in America).

Apparently Blizzard thought I was a terrorist or something and locked me out of my account.

I was trying to get myself access again through their online process, and it asks for my email, my first and last name and other stuff, and I hit a road block - it turns out it is impossible for me to re-activate my account .

Well, when I first signed up, I put in a fake name, since hey, I've giving them $60, a valid email address, and a valid game key, so why do they need to know who I am? It turns out if they don't have your real name, they will brick your software, keep your $60 and go happily on their merry way.

I didn't write down the fake name when I registered for battle.net since, oh, EVERY other company in the world allows you access to the services you purchase online if you just have an email, password, and cd key if needed. Not blizzard though, they are fighting the terrorists to WIN!

Since I couldn't enter my name, I couldn't unlock my account by myself so I tried to contact blizzard support to help me. But no, the only way to contact blizzard support is through a functioning battlenet account, and mine wasn't functioning.

I had to create a brand new battle.net acct to contact support, asked them if they would please reactivate my account, and was told no way they would do that. They don't care that I have access to the same valid email I used when registering, they don't care that I have a valid key, they don't care that I have the password I used at signup. No it's the NAME that they have to verify.

Blizzard send me an email (below) chastising me for not giving my real name at registration and they say now I have to take a picture of myself holding my ID and also holding the CD so I can prove who I am. You've just gotta read this email to believe it - here...

This is one of several reasons our Terms of Use for Battle.net require you to store correct information with us, as fake names lead to situations like this that you cannot resolve without our help.

We can help you fix the name on your account, but we will need more information from you. Please complete the Battle.net Account Verification Form:

https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/battle-net-terms-of-use-form

Attach this with a dated copy of your ID and a clear digital picture of your Diablo III CD key, manual and CD together with your ID so we can see you are in possession of it and you are who you are claiming to be.

If I don't think I need to give my name after providing $60, a valid email, and password, then why do they think I'll give them my name, a picture of myself, and my driver's license? Obviously (someone like me) would never do that in a million years. No way, ever..

I can't use the game now - $60 down the drain. I did however email Blizzard and tell them what they could do with their "policy" (below)...

Dear Blizzard,

No thanks, I think Ill just toss my copy of Diablo in the trash,

forget about buying any Blizzard products in the future, post my experience

online as a warning to future victims, and just cut my losses.

Your security measures are far beyond what anyone else uses - no one

I know would think things like that were buried in the terms of service.

Just because you make something a "policy" and add it to your terms

of use doesn't make it right.

Fine, keep my $$ and brick the software just because I won't give you my

personal information.

My personal info is just that... personal. I don't have to give it to you

or anyone else - It belongs to me.

you are better off.... diablo 3 is fucking horrible.