Dead Space PC mouse/keyboard configuration revealed

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ted_Bundy000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Ted_Bundy000
Member since 2008 • 347 Posts

For anyone that was wondering the keyboard configuration for the PC version of Dead Space, here they are: (of course you can change them, but this is the default config).

Forward/backward - W/S

Strafe left/right - A/D

Run - Shift (hold)

Aim mode - Right mouse button (hold)

Toggle Aim - CAPS Lock

Fire - Right mouse button + Left mouse button

Secondary fire - Right mouse button + SPACEBAR, or right mouse button + middle mouse button

Reload primary/secondary weapon - R/right mouse button + R

Melee weapon swing - Left mouse button

Melee curbstomp - SPACEBAR

Kinesis Module - Right mouse button + F, then left mouse button to propel object away

Stasis Module - Right mouse button + C

Health Pack - Q

Activate - E

Jump (in zero-G only) - Right mouse + CTRL

Map - M

Deck Nav - B or left CTRL

Rig inventory - TAB/1

Pause menu - ESC

Missions - J

Log database - L

Cancel (logs/menus) - F/TAB

nevereathim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 nevereathim
Member since 2006 • 2161 Posts
I'm just wonderng, why is this important? It's definately nice to know, but 99% of games on PC have similar controls...it would only be logical for EA to follow those similar controls
Ted_Bundy000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Ted_Bundy000
Member since 2008 • 347 Posts

I'm just wonderng, why is this important? It's definately nice to know, but 99% of games on PC have similar controls...it would only be logical for EA to follow those similar controlsnevereathim

Then I guess it isn't important to you. I know for a fact some people were worried about how the mouse/keyboard would work for the game. So, I decided to post the controls. No harm done by it. I was just lookin after the people the wanted to know what they were. Sorry if you thought it wasnt important...

Mediocre_man90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Mediocre_man90
Member since 2006 • 968 Posts
wait, so you can't shoot without aiming? that seems a bit odd.
JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 JP_Russell
Member since 2005 • 12893 Posts

You don't have to use "key/mouse button A + key/mouse button B" for those functions, do you? I'm not talking about whether or not you can change it, I mean is it not optional to have to press two keys at the same time for primary and alternate fire, for instance, or can you change those to use just one key each? So, say I wanted to change reloading to mouse 4, melee to a key on the keyboard, primary fire to just left-click, and secondary fire to right-click. Could I do that?

EDIT - Oh, I see how it works. I guess not. Gosh, that's an awfully convoluted control scheme. That on top of floaty mouselook. Bah.

s_emi_xxxxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 s_emi_xxxxx
Member since 2005 • 1058 Posts

[QUOTE="nevereathim"]I'm just wonderng, why is this important? It's definately nice to know, but 99% of games on PC have similar controls...it would only be logical for EA to follow those similar controlsTed_Bundy000

Then I guess it isn't important to you. I know for a fact some people were worried about how the mouse/keyboard would work for the game. So, I decided to post the controls. No harm done by it. I was just lookin after the people the wanted to know what they were. Sorry if you thought it wasnt important...

yea, thanks for this info. i was almost worried as the game seems to have the same resident evil 4 formula but in this you can atleast move while shooting.thank god EA has got the brains to support mouse/kb for PC version. doesn't seem like a weak port at all.:D

nevereathim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 nevereathim
Member since 2006 • 2161 Posts
I wans't trying trying to be offensive by the way, if I came out like that. Anyways I thought that it'd feel like a console game no matter what, it's not like they're not gonna use the same controls gears of war used.
tanerb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 tanerb
Member since 2003 • 1300 Posts

OP, you are missing the whole point. If you read the reviews for the game it says the mouse control is extremely slow and floating. this is what we wanted to learn? Is using the mouse disturbing? Is it difficult to aim and shoot accurately. This is what we wanted to learn

XRED_0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 XRED_0
Member since 2008 • 775 Posts
I just started playing it, and its not really that bad at all. I read reviews that the controls for the PC were gonna suck, but I like 'em.
YintenD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 YintenD
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
To pretty much get rid of the laggy mouse, disable V-sync. Its worked for just about everybody. Only prob is that you might get some screen tearing during areas with strobe lights ect. If this is the case (and if you use a Nvidia card) and if you can deal with just a itty bitty bit of mouse lag, you can force V-sync on in your Nvidia console settings for dead space and make sure its off in the game settings.
tanerb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 tanerb

Hereanother review from Whatif gaming. Sorry EA, you dropped the ball on this one.

The controls are 2nd to the worst controls we've seen ever since Path of Neo came to the PC platforms. The smoothness compared to consoles is just not there, and from what we can tell it doesn't seem like a patch can fix most of the issues. Inventory stack access becomes frustrating when fighting with monsters and aiming for on-the-fly changes. The controls just aren't smooth. When contacting EA Redwood Shores regarding these issues:

Dead Space for PC is an equivalent experience to that on consoles. The controls are different and customizable, but we feel it's in the best ability for the players to match what the console experience is like.

It's ironic that it needs to be argued that it matches the console experience from the controls in EA's eyes. The fact isn't a matter of customization as much as it's just not feasible to do most of the mapped controls on the keyboard and still maintain a fluid transition between interface and gameplay. If you have a console, go with the console version of Dead Space. The PC one is just not the same thing. If you're tight on $20 extra for the console version, rent it and then settle for the PC one after. It's such a shame

Nitrous2O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Nitrous2O
Member since 2004 • 1813 Posts

Thanks for the time and effort OP, much appreciated.

However, like some other people, it's not the configuration I was concerned with but rather the lag given to kb+m controls. Even if it is intentional, or something I could become accustomed to, just yuck. Yuck. Double yuck!!! :P

Although, while it's not a preference, I could get by using a gamepad if necessary.

EndersAres

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 EndersAres
Member since 2005 • 5711 Posts
Played it for the first three chapters with the keyboard controls and got very annoyed on how terrible they are. I switched over to a controler and it all disappeared.
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
After playing the game at a friends house on his pc (connected to a 46 inch hdtv lcd), the controls were fine.. They are similar to Resident Evil 4 in respects.. And I don't understand how people are having trouble with the controls.. They are simplistic and easy to use, and the only real struggling I had was the full FIVE minutes of the first part of the game to get the hang of it.. I honestly think people who are complaining must have been expecting something like a first person shooter then what Dead Space is.
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

Thanks for the time and effort OP, much appreciated.

However, like some other people, it's not the configuration I was concerned with but rather the lag given to kb+m controls. Even if it is intentional, or something I could become accustomed to, just yuck. Yuck. Double yuck!!! :P

Although, while it's not a preference, I could get by using a gamepad if necessary.

Nitrous2O

The only noticable mouse lag of any kind was in the actual menu screen, in game I didn't notice any at all.

Also the graphics are breath taking.. They are definitely one of the best I have seen in a long time.

tanerb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 tanerb

this one is from bit-tech.net :

Dead Space isn't an easy game to like and a lot of that is down to one very simple thing; the controls. The root of those control problems? Three words: it's a port.

That Dead Space was designed as a console game is pretty obvious and is evidenced by everything from the over the shoulder camera angle right through to the absence of a quicksave button. Take heart though; it isn't all bad.

The controls however are a totally different matter; they are just plain awful. They are sticky, unresponsive and stiff - all of which would be leading in to a very crude joke about necrophilia if we weren't such serious journalists. ****

Admittedly, the problem isn't as massive as it could be and once you get to grips with the stiffness of the mouse then you won't have problems with lopping off limbs with your lasers and lumps of lead - but it'll always be third nature rather than first or second. The problem isn't only with the aiming either, it's with the navigation too as turning and strafing isn't as smooth as you might expect it to be. It's clear the game would just play smoother and easier if it was being handled with a gamepad and not a mouse.

In the moment-to-moment gameplay, it isn't a huge problem. It's still easily possible to shoot off legs, arms and heads and it's just as easy to stomp those skulls and pistol-whip those alien beasties in the elbows until the rotten limbs litter the floor. When you get into some of the nitty-gritty though; the puzzles and areas, then it starts to become more of an issue.

Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts
It's pretty bad how many reviewers completely missed that the lagginess was entirely due to Vsync, especially given how many games have had laggy mouselook due to vsync in the last year or two. At the same time, it's even worse that EA's people contactedt didn't know that, for the people that tried asking them. That 'this is how it's meant to be' answer is just incredibly bad.
-Master_St3ve-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 -Master_St3ve-
Member since 2007 • 1421 Posts
I'll just use my PS2 controler to play this game then. Unless I buy it for the 360.
Nitrous2O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Nitrous2O
Member since 2004 • 1813 Posts

It's pretty bad how many reviewers completely missed that the lagginess was entirely due to Vsync, especially given how many games have had laggy mouselook due to vsync in the last year or two. At the same time, it's even worse that EA's people contactedt didn't know that, for the people that tried asking them. That 'this is how it's meant to be' answer is just incredibly bad.Makari

Interesting, I certainly didn't know about the vsync relationship. Although I don't remember encountering any noticeable gameplay mouse lag before to the point of having a reason to investigate either, and most certainly not to the degree that was seemingly described in some reviews for Dead Space.

At any rate, it's good to hear this bad boy might be nicely-playable with keyboard and mouse after all!

Herrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Herrick
Member since 2004 • 4549 Posts
Hey Ted, how is the game so far? Is it a quality port? I know it's not really supposed to be a port but a lot of the PC versions of these multiplatform releases end up feeling like ports.
kaiisgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 kaiisgod
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
thank you ted I haven't played the game for months and I had forgotten the keys!!
Xeuton_Mojukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#22 Xeuton_Mojukai
Member since 2006 • 89 Posts

I can't afford a 360 controller for my PC (I had to custom-build it using bought-direct parts, but then again, I now have a $500 monster rig).

However, the KB+M controls on Dead Space, for me, are excellent.

I also recognize why the mouse sensitivity, at maximum, seems so sluggish. I'll explain:

1) the devs of this game want you to feel claustrophobic, and totally immersed in being the character. They did something I hope to see in the future from all game devs: they made the gameplay fit into the atmosphere they wanted to create, which was a combination of tensity, dread, disgust, and vulnerability. You're not used to the subtle differences in the controls, but you can still do it. For some reason, those extra brain cells that are required to do the same things in other games make this one much more terrifying. You can't turn around quickly because it makes you feel too much like you're pushing a button to move, rather than being the character, and moving with the character. It's similar to jazz musicians who intentionally falter at moments of emotional stress or intensity during jams. It adds an extra twist to really draw you into the heart and soul. That's reason one.

2) In purely gameplay-based terms, the mouse is only slow when you're aiming. They don't want you to aim all the time. They want you to put down the gun, look around, run, then be able to start shooting again once you're ready to line up a shot. You're not a soldier, nor a S.P.E.I.A.L.I.S.T. in some random elite organization of training-ness. You're an engineer, and a rather whipped one at that. This isn't a twitch shooter. This is a shudder shooter. The difference has now been made, and may it continue to develop into separate genres of shooter.

3) They're probably expecting the average gamer to have one of those super-expensive 1-zillion DPI 1337 Mice of over-the-top-ness if they intend to play Dead Space like a twitcher. I think they're right to believe that.

Anyway, just my opinion.

jedinat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 jedinat
Member since 2003 • 3560 Posts

[QUOTE="Makari"]It's pretty bad how many reviewers completely missed that the lagginess was entirely due to Vsync, especially given how many games have had laggy mouselook due to vsync in the last year or two. At the same time, it's even worse that EA's people contactedt didn't know that, for the people that tried asking them. That 'this is how it's meant to be' answer is just incredibly bad.Nitrous2O

Interesting, I certainly didn't know about the vsync relationship. Although I don't remember encountering any noticeable gameplay mouse lag before to the point of having a reason to investigate either, and most certainly not to the degree that was seemingly described in some reviews for Dead Space.

At any rate, it's good to hear this bad boy might be nicely-playable with keyboard and mouse after all!

Resurrected thread.... but anyways, if you force VSync (and enable Triple Buffering) through a third-party app like ATI Tray Tools, the mouse doesn't lag anymore AND you have no screen tearing.
denter21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24 denter21
Member since 2003 • 1283 Posts
Do whatever you need to do to make this game feel comfortable for you. PLAY THIS GAME :D If you have a mouse with multiple sensitivity settings, set one a bit higher than usual and try switching to that in game. Also keep in mind that your camera will move slower while your character is moving and aiming.. a good trick to rapidly change where you're aiming is to stop, rotate the camera roughly to where you want to aim (even if its behind you) and press RMB to aim, he'll spin and aim there quickly and then you can adjust and fire away.
GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts
im currently playing the game and its super cool.but one W T F thing is that i cant change e WASD into the arrows
jedinat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 jedinat
Member since 2003 • 3560 Posts
im currently playing the game and its super cool.but one W T F thing is that i cant change e WASD into the arrowsGazaAli
I think arrow keys went out of style around 1995 when games began to let you do crazy things like look UP and look DOWN.
GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts
lol so am i the only one still use arrows? i got used to them back in the days and i just can't give up on them.but i have to say WASD is not bad as i thought
Artero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Artero
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

I can't afford a 360 controller for my PC (I had to custom-build it using bought-direct parts, but then again, I now have a $500 monster rig).

However, the KB+M controls on Dead Space, for me, are excellent.

I also recognize why the mouse sensitivity, at maximum, seems so sluggish. I'll explain:

1) the devs of this game want you to feel claustrophobic, and totally immersed in being the character. They did something I hope to see in the future from all game devs: they made the gameplay fit into the atmosphere they wanted to create, which was a combination of tensity, dread, disgust, and vulnerability. You're not used to the subtle differences in the controls, but you can still do it. For some reason, those extra brain cells that are required to do the same things in other games make this one much more terrifying. You can't turn around quickly because it makes you feel too much like you're pushing a button to move, rather than being the character, and moving with the character. It's similar to jazz musicians who intentionally falter at moments of emotional stress or intensity during jams. It adds an extra twist to really draw you into the heart and soul. That's reason one.

2) In purely gameplay-based terms, the mouse is only slow when you're aiming. They don't want you to aim all the time. They want you to put down the gun, look around, run, then be able to start shooting again once you're ready to line up a shot. You're not a soldier, nor a S.P.E.I.A.L.I.S.T. in some random elite organization of training-ness. You're an engineer, and a rather whipped one at that. This isn't a twitch shooter. This is a shudder shooter. The difference has now been made, and may it continue to develop into separate genres of shooter.

3) They're probably expecting the average gamer to have one of those super-expensive 1-zillion DPI 1337 Mice of over-the-top-ness if they intend to play Dead Space like a twitcher. I think they're right to believe that.

Anyway, just my opinion.

Xeuton_Mojukai

Gordon Freeman is a scientist, yet he shoots just as fast as I can aim.. which seems logical in a game.

Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#29 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts
I'm just wonderng, why is this important? It's definately nice to know, but 99% of games on PC have similar controls...it would only be logical for EA to follow those similar controlsnevereathim
Dead Space's controls would be in that 1% then because it's not like most pc games. i just looked in the key config menu like i do at the beginning of any game i get.