This topic is locked from further discussion.

cysf661

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 cysf661
Member since 2002 • 6599 Posts

I was thinking of buying dark souls for the pc on steam, but i noticed it saysMicrosoft Xbox 360 Controller for Windows (or equivalent) is strongly recommended. Is it playing it with a keyboard and mouse that bad?

Mazoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 Mazoch
Member since 2004 • 2473 Posts
Yes it is. It's a great game, but the mouse and keybord controls are horrible. Also, if you get the game I'd strongly recommend getting the unofficial mod that allows you to increase the resolution (otherwise it is locked at the same resolution as the console version).
AfroPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 AfroPirate
Member since 2008 • 675 Posts

Yea it's terrible without a controller so it's a must.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

There are some mods that make KB/M controls better but I would highyl recommend using a gamepad

couly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#5 couly
Member since 2004 • 6278 Posts
Don't even attempt to play this without a controller and make sure you install this: http://darksouls.nexusmods.com/mods/19
mep69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mep69
Member since 2008 • 1926 Posts
It's ashame they lazily bought this game out on PC, i really wanted to play it. If i wanted to use a controller (i don't) i'd buy it on a console.
AfroPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 AfroPirate

It's ashame they lazily bought this game out on PC, i really wanted to play it. If i wanted to use a controller (i don't) i'd buy it on a console.mep69

Well I got it for $20 so I'm not mad. Also I don't have to buy a ps3 or xbox to just buy this game.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

It's ashame they lazily bought this game out on PC, i really wanted to play it. If i wanted to use a controller (i don't) i'd buy it on a console.mep69
Whether on PC or console the game is worth it. I've put more hours into this game than any other I can think of in recent years (150 hours easy). The PC port is lazy but it's not worse than the console version overall (online not withstanding).

But yeah, use a 360 controller.

-Byshop

AfroPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 AfroPirate

I can't beat the Taurus Demon :(

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

AfroPirate

right when he comes down, go up the ladder that is to the right when you first walk in. Go up and there kill the 2 archers. He will stand below you and look up. Fall off the edge and attack in mid air to do a plunging attack which will take a lot of his health away. Run towards the opposite end until he starts chasing you. Once he is about half way there, turn around and dodge past him to get back up on the ladder and do the plunging attack again. He should be close to dead and you can just chop away at his feet for the last few hits.

AfroPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 AfroPirate

[QUOTE="AfroPirate"]

BPoole96

right when he comes down, go up the ladder that is to the right when you first walk in. Go up and there kill the 2 archers. He will stand below you and look up. Fall off the edge and attack in mid air to do a plunging attack which will take a lot of his health away. Run towards the opposite end until he starts chasing you. Once he is about half way there, turn around and dodge past him to get back up on the ladder and do the plunging attack again. He should be close to dead and you can just chop away at his feet for the last few hits.

I got that down but I'm just unlucky when it comes to getting around him.

SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#12 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

[QUOTE="AfroPirate"]

AfroPirate

Just grind away at some enemies to get your Endurance or Vitality up, and maybe switch up what tactics you use or what armor/weapon combos you are trying.

nooblet69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#13 nooblet69
Member since 2004 • 5162 Posts

I highly reccomend a xbox 360 controller and adapter for your pc as many games will benefit from them. I'm actually about to buy dark souls myself and can't wait to play :). The adapter and controller for pc probably run about 50 bucks together. I recently got my adapter for 20 dollars and already had an old 360 controller.

JKnaperek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 JKnaperek
Member since 2006 • 2023 Posts
lol such a lame lazy excuse.
Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Byshop  Moderator

AfroPirate

Not luck, just pattern memorization and distancing. Once you become proficient you should be able to beat him without taking a hit. If you need help on specifically how there are tons of videos and tutorials on youtube of people beating every boss.

-Byshop

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#16 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

[QUOTE="mep69"]It's ashame they lazily bought this game out on PC, i really wanted to play it. If i wanted to use a controller (i don't) i'd buy it on a console.JKnaperek

Its a perfectly reasonable excuse, would you have baught it on PS3 if they couldnt be bothred to implement its default control method and instead you had to play it with a racing wheel?

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

Man that is lame. They literally just gave us a console version :P. If I ever get it I will probably just buy it on PS3 :(.

Mazoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Mazoch
Member since 2004 • 2473 Posts

Man that is lame. They literally just gave us a console version :P. If I ever get it I will probably just buy it on PS3 :(.

NaveedLife
It's still a good deal better on the PC. The X360 / PS3 versions have some serious frame rate issues in some regions. Also the resolution mod on the PC makes it look a lot better than the console versions. That said it's a great game on both the PC and the console so you could do much worse than picking it up for your PS3.
Mcspanky37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Mcspanky37
Member since 2010 • 1693 Posts
[QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

Mazoch
It's still a good deal better on the PC. The X360 / PS3 versions have some serious frame rate issues in some regions. Also the resolution mod on the PC makes it look a lot better than the console versions. That said it's a great game on both the PC and the console so you could do much worse than picking it up for your PS3.

It's a good deal worse. There's no surround sound and the online component is borked. I don't even recommend buying the PC version for the real Dark Souls experience. Should have just gotten it on PS3 awhile ago.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd
deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

User Lists: 1

#20 deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd
Member since 2008 • 4403 Posts

Don't let the fact that a gamepad is necessary sway you from buying the game.

Also, get it on consoles if you have one because while the framerates are bad, at least the online system works.

PetJel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21 PetJel
Member since 2009 • 3725 Posts

I have played the game on the PS3 for about 100-150 hours. After playing on the pc I might prefer the keyboard and mouse over the controller.

Opinions differ, I thought it was perfectly playable with kb/mouse. Just set mouse sensitivity to your liking, change keybindings to your liking (use F for lockon for example) and use the performance and graphical mods. Don't let this game pass by just because you don't have a 360 controller.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#22 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

There are mods to make the mouse work better, but it's horrendous. The core of the entire control scheme makes it damn near impossible. The big thing being that the right analog stick is the mouse, and is used to change targets while locked on so, when you're actually playing with the mouse, you're changing targets with every tiny nudge of the mouse, which is going to happen alot, as you need to use the mouse buttons contantly. So yeah, get a 360 controller.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

I have played the game on the PS3 for about 100-150 hours. After playing on the pc I might prefer the keyboard and mouse over the controller.

Opinions differ, I thought it was perfectly playable with kb/mouse. Just set mouse sensitivity to your liking, change keybindings to your liking (use F for lockon for example) and use the performance and graphical mods. Don't let this game pass by just because you don't have a 360 controller.

PetJel

Also this. It's way too good to miss. If you don't have a 360 controller, go ahead and give it a try anyway. If you can't make it work out like that, get a 360 controller, even it's Dark Souls is the only game you ever use it for. Totally worth it.

ForsakenWicked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#24 ForsakenWicked
Member since 2008 • 3745 Posts
I'm thinking about getting this now that its on sale on Steam, however I don't have a controlller. Will need to check the price of xbox controllers before deciding.
MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

[QUOTE="AfroPirate"]

AfroPirate

plunge attack and when in melee combat, get as close to it as possible. Circle strafing/dodging is pretty easy and it telegraphs it's attacks very obviously.

teardropmina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 teardropmina
Member since 2006 • 2806 Posts

for SP core game, k/m (without mouse fix) is perfectly fine, except for one mandatory boss fight (you'd need mouse fix).

as for the game itself, with the help from PC gamer community, it's my second favorite game this year (after X-com).

but both the port job and dev support are barebone. not going to support another soul game, if the exact same thing happens again in the future.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Byshop  Moderator

It's still a good deal better on the PC. The X360 / PS3 versions have some serious frame rate issues in some regions. Also the resolution mod on the PC makes it look a lot better than the console versions. That said it's a great game on both the PC and the console so you could do much worse than picking it up for your PS3.Mcspanky37
It's a good deal worse. There's no surround sound and the online component is borked. I don't even recommend buying the PC version for the real Dark Souls experience. Should have just gotten it on PS3 awhile ago.

How is the online component "borked"? I've put about 160 hours into the PC version of Dark Souls. With the exception of the occasional hacker using a trainer to lock their health I find the online to be great.

-Byshop

kidcool189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 kidcool189
Member since 2008 • 4307 Posts
[QUOTE="Mazoch"][QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

Mcspanky37

It's unbearable going back to the console versions with the horrendous framerate inconsistency under 30, after playing it so long on pc at near constant 60fps.
Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Byshop  Moderator

[QUOTE="kidcool189]It's unbearable going back to the console versions with the horrendous framerate inconsistency under 30, after playing it so long on pc at near constant 60fps.

The framerate of the PC version is actually locked at 30 unless you applied the framerate hack in which case then you are also playing offline.

-Byshop

kidcool189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 kidcool189
Member since 2008 • 4307 Posts

[QUOTE="kidcool189"]It's unbearable going back to the console versions with the horrendous framerate inconsistency under 30, after playing it so long on pc at near constant 60fps.Byshop

The framerate of the PC version is actually locked at 30 unless you applied the framerate hack in which case then you are also playing offline.

-Byshop

Have you not used any of the recent DSfix's? 60fps cap is included in it as one of the options and online plays perfectly fine with it on.

There a couple very minor issues, being that rolling/jump-rolling is ever so slightly shorter(only noticable when you are trying to make a very tight jump, such as reaching Crestfallen Merchant on top of Sen's Fortress) and rare occasions you may go through the floor when sliding down a ladder. Though conveniently in the latest DSfix, he added a hotkey(Backspace) to switch back and forth between 30 and 60 fps cap.

cysf661

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 cysf661
Member since 2002 • 6599 Posts

Is there a way to make the game go fullscreen? its set it on fullscreen but its no covering the whole screen on the monitor.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#32 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
If I liked Dragon Age would i like this?! :(

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd
If I liked Dragon Age would i like this?! :( biggest_loser
It doesn't matter what you liked, if you are a competent gamer and like nice things, you will love Dark Souls.
Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Byshop  Moderator

Have you not used any of the recent DSfix's? 60fps cap is included in it as one of the options and online plays perfectly fine with it on.

There a couple very minor issues, being that rolling/jump-rolling is ever so slightly shorter(only noticable when you are trying to make a very tight jump, such as reaching Crestfallen Merchant on top of Sen's Fortress) and rare occasions you may go through the floor when sliding down a ladder. Though conveniently in the latest DSfix, he added a hotkey(Backspace) to switch back and forth between 30 and 60 fps cap.

kidcool189

I had not. Thanks for the info, I'll check it out.

-Byshop

Mcspanky37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Mcspanky37
Member since 2010 • 1693 Posts
[QUOTE="kidcool189"][QUOTE="Mcspanky37"][QUOTE="Mazoch"] It's still a good deal better on the PC. The X360 / PS3 versions have some serious frame rate issues in some regions. Also the resolution mod on the PC makes it look a lot better than the console versions. That said it's a great game on both the PC and the console so you could do much worse than picking it up for your PS3.

It's unbearable going back to the console versions with the horrendous framerate inconsistency under 30, after playing it so long on pc at near constant 60fps.

There's a couple of framerate drops, nothing too noticeable really. Not compared to an unplayable online component. :P
teardropmina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 teardropmina

If I liked Dragon Age would i like this?! :( biggest_loser

completely different sub-genre; DAO is party-base story driven RPG and Dark Souls is solo Dungeon Crawler (with online co-op and pvp features).

so, since they're so different, there's no way to tell whether you'll like it or not~

teardropmina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 teardropmina

[QUOTE="kidcool189"][QUOTE="Mcspanky37"] It's a good deal worse. There's no surround sound and the online component is borked. I don't even recommend buying the PC version for the real Dark Souls experience. Should have just gotten it on PS3 awhile ago.Mcspanky37

There's a couple of framerate drops, nothing too noticeable really. Not compared to an unplayable online component. :P

I think this set of discussion should go to system wars, would you guys mind?

mep69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 mep69
[QUOTE="JKnaperek"][QUOTE="mep69"]

[QUOTE="JKnaperek"][QUOTE="mep69"]It's ashame they lazily bought this game out on PC, i really wanted to play it. If i wanted to use a controller (i don't) i'd buy it on a console.pelvist

Its a perfectly reasonable excuse, would you have baught it on PS3 if they couldnt be bothred to implement its default control method and instead you had to play it with a racing wheel?

Ye, i don't know how this can be called a lame excuse :/ Your example is most fitting :)
Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts

[QUOTE="JKnaperek"][QUOTE="mep69"]It's ashame they lazily bought this game out on PC, i really wanted to play it. If i wanted to use a controller (i don't) i'd buy it on a console.pelvist

wtf? your example is pretty far off. i think it's alame excuse. i prefer playing multiplats on PC+controller, rather than buying a crappy PS3 or Xbox and then buying the inferior version of the game on either one.

yeah, all PC gamers don't own a console. and even if i would own one, i'd buy the best exclusives ONLY on them, because of the aforementioned reason.

e: this game is NOT DESIGNED to be played with KB+M. why are people whining about it? sure, they could've done better job with making it work on KB+M, but controller would still always work better if it's initially designed for it.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

How is the online component "borked"? I've put about 160 hours into the PC version of Dark Souls. With the exception of the occasional hacker using a trainer to lock their health I find the online to be great.

-Byshop

Byshop

The amount of legitimate invasions and cooperative gameplay concerning the online component is severely limited because players can freely hack and edit their character however they please. Unprotected online component = borked. Simple as that.

If I can get simply edit my character to make him all-powerful and spend my day invading people and ruining their gameplay experience - there's obviously something very wrong with the multiplayer. It might not be a significant issue to some of you, but a vast amount of my enjoyment from the game (and Demons Souls) was derived from the unique multiplayer integration. With no hacker-protection, it might as well not even exist in my opinion.

Riadon2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Riadon2
Member since 2011 • 1598 Posts

[QUOTE="Mazoch"][QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

Mcspanky37

My surround sound works fine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd

[QUOTE="Byshop"]

-Byshop

KHAndAnime

The amount of legitimate invasions and cooperative gameplay concerning the online component is severely limited because players can freely hack and edit their character however they please. Unprotected online component = borked. Simple as that.

If I can get simply edit my character to make him all-powerful and spend my day invading people and ruining their gameplay experience - there's obviously something very wrong with the multiplayer. It might not be a significant issue to some of you, but a vast amount of my enjoyment from the game (and Demons Souls) was derived from the unique multiplayer integration. With no hacker-protection, it might as well not even exist in my opinion.

I have modified gamesaves, I confess. It is actually easier on console. My experience with the online play on PC is that I can't summon people. "Summoning Failed." Every time.
Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Byshop  Moderator

KHAndAnime

Yeah, it sucks but the majority of the matches that I've gotten have not been with hackers. I've logged 160 hours in the PC version with at least 100 matches and I've encountered a hacker maybe 3 times. Granted, maybe it's worse for some others. This problem is not exclusive to the PC version, however. The best we can do is leave a hacker match and report the user. Fortunately for me hacker matches have very much been the minority so the overall online experience has not been ruined.

-Byshop

mep69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 mep69

[QUOTE="pelvist"]

[QUOTE="JKnaperek"] lol such a lame lazy excuse.groowagon

wtf? your example is pretty far off. i think it's alame excuse. i prefer playing multiplats on PC+controller, rather than buying a crappy PS3 or Xbox and then buying the inferior version of the game on either one.

yeah, all PC gamers don't own a console. and even if i would own one, i'd buy the best exclusives ONLY on them, because of the aforementioned reason.

e: this game is NOT DESIGNED to be played with KB+M. why are people whining about it? sure, they could've done better job with making it work on KB+M, but controller would still always work better if it's initially designed for it.

I'm sorry, i just can't see why anybody in their right mind; would want to use a Console controller on a PC. Saying the game is not designed for keyboard and mouse is a lame excuse IMO. A PC gamer should not be forced to use an alternate form or game mechanics just because the game was originally on a console. Either they do their job, or don't do it at all.
synxz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#45 synxz
Member since 2004 • 148 Posts
Ordered a razer onza so I can play this game properly. Yeah the port was badly done, but it lets those without console play it. Some people whines freakin lot. Their loss.
Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Byshop  Moderator

I'm sorry, i just can't see why anybody in their right mind; would want to use a Console controller on a PC. Saying the game is not designed for keyboard and mouse is a lame excuse IMO. A PC gamer should not be forced to use an alternate form or game mechanics just because the game was originally on a console. Either they do their job, or don't do it at all.mep69

What you say makes total sense. After all, everyone knows that KB/Mouse controls are the best controls to use for all genres of games.

Well, except maybe for racing games.

And flight simulators.

And space combat simulators.

And fighting games.

And side scrolling shooters that support analog movement.

And dual joystick arcade games like Smash TV or Virtua On.

In reality, there are many types of games that benefit from having an analog movement control. Dark Souls is a game that's all about finese and technique, and unfortunately it's not possible to support both analog perspective and movement using just a standard KB/mouse. Playing a Capcom fighting game on a KB is just a joke. Besides, not everyone uses their PC the same way you do. I have PCs everywhere. I have a PC running a four monitor computer setup at a desk where I primarily game using a KB/Mouse or flightstick. I also have the same PC hooked up to an 80 projector where I play games using a 360 controller from a rocker chair on the floor in the middle of a huge surround system. I also play PC games on my couch which sits about 8 feet away from a 62" 1080P DLP set. I also have a PC wired inside of an old Gauntlet Legends cabinet that runs arcade games and has a 4 player custom built arcade joystick control board.

Just because playing on a PC using something other than KB/mouse doesn't make sense to you, that doesn't mean that it doesn't make sense.

-Byshop

maxtronz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 maxtronz
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
Yes, a PC game should be made in a way that it can be played good with the mouse and keyboard. But, sometimes the developers don't do a great job :) Or the game is just simply better played with a gamepad. And looks like Dark Souls goes into this category...