Crysis: Don't you just hate the ice levels?

• 92 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#51 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts
Just for the record, i AGREE with you guys that crysis is nowhere near as good as it is known to be. It has a perfect engine that runs amazing. That i can agree with. There are some stuff to try that you cant do in other fps and thats great too. But in the end the game is over shadowed by lack of many things, mainly that it failed to live up to its true potential. Gunplay is meh, ai is full of bugs. Dont tell me you never noticed them doing stupid things or behave weird. Also the levels are nowhere near as good as far cry, the weapons are meh and in the end there are so many more things that you could possibly do with the game....but just when you thought they gonna take it to the next level, they decided to turn it into a linear shooter and kill robotic aliens that came out of the matrix movies. Oh well, i like linear blockbuster epic moments. But in the end it just feels dissapointing in comparison with what promised. I wont rant about it, i just hope crysis 2 will improve.
Avatar image for tequilasunriser
tequilasunriser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 tequilasunriser
Member since 2004 • 6379 Posts

[QUOTE="tequilasunriser"][QUOTE="BluRayHiDef"]

Wow. This was very well written. You did a good job of conveying your point.

BluRayHiDef

It was beyond me how this game got a 9.5 out of 10 rating. Then it all became clear after Jeff 'Gamespot' Gertsmann got fired from Gamespot for giving Kane and Lynch: Dead Men a mediocre review. The reviewers are pressured by publishers to rate games favorably. When they don't respond to the pressure and review a game they way they see fit they face the scrutiny of their parent company Cnet. Cnet could give a crap about the sincerity and accuracy of Gamespot's reviews, they just care about the dollars being tossed into their pockets. Poor practice for a company involved in journalism. In the Aftermath Gamespot lost some of it's best staff who quit after Gertsmann was fired. I'm sure Ocampo probably rated the game darn near perfect to save his job. EA was probably forking wads of cash down Cnet's throat.

Well, I admire how good you are at using certain facts and analogies to convey your point. However, I don't necessarily agree with your point. I don't know if what you've said here is true, but whether GameSpot's review of Crysis was insincere or not, it's still a very good game. Perhaps a review score slightly less than 9.5 would have been more appropriate, but that doesn't seem to far off from what it deserves (8.5 or 9.0). My dislike of the ice levels doesn't reflect my overall opinion of the game. Though I hate that particular aspect of Crysis, I think that its a very fun game, overall. I think Crytek did a very good job of using the nano suit to give the player the choice of playing the game stealthily or openly. Not to mention that the game's visuals are absolutely stunning. So, in my opinion, though the story wasn't very good, I think the graphics and gameplay make up for it.

I agree with you about the Nano suit and visuals. Those were awesome features that the suit had and the game didn't have you utilize all of them but a few times. I mostly played through the game with armour and cloak. It would have been cool if there were situations that really required you to use speed and strength, other than the couple jumps here and there. The suit features seemed more of a novelty than a necessity. There could have been some potentially cool situations that required the other, less used features like running across a rope bridge as it's collapsing with speed, or tossing boulders down hills to crush enemies. It's that lack of variety that makes this game stand out as less than memorable. In the end what this game will be known for in the future is its cutting edge graphics, not the actual gameplay.
Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#53 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11790 Posts

Crysis and Crysis wars, will be some games I pick up after my upgrade to the HD6 series, I have held off long playing thru those games, just so I could do it the way it was meant to be done, high frame-rate, while having high-max settings.. Im sort of excited, plus I can pick up the Crysis games for cheap now!

Ondoval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#54 Ondoval
Member since 2005 • 3103 Posts

When you get out from Core to Frozen Paradise is maybe the more breathtaking moment of the game. The shaders used to represent the blizzard, snow and frost are still unmatched. I loved those levels. This was in my 8800 GT, almost three years ago:

This wasn't even very high, and was fantastic. Currently I have a GTX 275 and a 5870, and of course is even better, but my point is that even in a modest GT 8800 looked phenomenal. Warhead is a bit different, I think that the shaders were worse but the particle effects better.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#55 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I don't think the aliens were too bad in either game. I did like how the small aliens didn't explode in the original game:

Mograine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 Mograine
Member since 2006 • 3666 Posts

I loved the ice levels graphically. I hated the aliens tho. Pesky annoying craplings that kill you in one hit in melee.

Same goes for Core, the zero-G level. The squishy unarmored aliens were too agile, but the environment is still the best ever designed and put in use in a FPS imo.

mkaliaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 mkaliaz
Member since 2004 • 1979 Posts

[QUOTE="the_mitch28"]

Basically you're playing a really fun game and then aliens come and ruin it.

Installing

Like Far Cry (except with monsters.)

Both of these examples are so true. The original half life did it as well with the aliens (or at least with the alien world). Why do game devs always do this?

mo0ksi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#58 mo0ksi
Member since 2007 • 12337 Posts
I thought they were good fun in Warhead. The original game, not so much.
Empirefrtw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Empirefrtw
Member since 2006 • 1324 Posts

Because in half-life the main point was also to face the alien threat not the military (which the only reason they came was because of the aliens).

Darksonic666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#60 Darksonic666
Member since 2009 • 3482 Posts

I only didnt like the level because of those darn aliens.

edinsftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 edinsftw
Member since 2009 • 4243 Posts

I thought all the settings were great, better than many other games and almost every console game.

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 BluRayHiDef
Member since 2009 • 10839 Posts

I thought all the settings were great, better than many other games and almost every console game.

edinsftw

Hey, I notice that you have two 5870s. How well does your rig run Crysis? Do you think you could run the Crysis Benchmark Tool and post your results? Run it at 1920x1080 with 2xAA.

C_Glass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 C_Glass
Member since 2010 • 259 Posts

Fighting the Aliens is such a bore but graphically speaking those levels are pretty amazing. Whenever I replay Crysis I always stop at the ice levels...fighting those aliens just turns the game into a generic FPS, I would always end up missing the feeling that you were a predator and utlizing the environment to knock baddies, jumping on rooftops to make your escape, etc. I mean pushing a barrel into a bunch of baddies in strength mode never gets old...that sorta goes away with those dumb aliens. Boring!

Lance2500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Lance2500
Member since 2009 • 680 Posts

I thought they were good fun in Warhead. The original game, not so much.mo0ksi

Took the words right out of my mouth.

edinsftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 edinsftw
Member since 2009 • 4243 Posts

[QUOTE="edinsftw"]

BluRayHiDef

Hey, I notice that you have two 5870s. How well does your rig run Crysis? Do you think you could run the Crysis Benchmark Tool and post your results? Run it at 1920x1080 with 2xAA.

mmm too much work...but those are the settings i normally play at...unless i use eyefinity, but it gets around 50 -55 fps, lowest was like 30 that i ever saw.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
[QUOTE="Empirefrtw"]

In warhead I didn't like the chase hover thing but besides that the ice levels where my favorite in crysis.

shakmaster13
I agree.

I second this. Stupid Hovercraft.
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 jun_aka_pekto

Fighting the Aliens is such a bore but graphically speaking those levels are pretty amazing. Whenever I replay Crysis I always stop at the ice levels...fighting those aliens just turns the game into a generic FPS, I would always end up missing the feeling that you were a predator and utlizing the environment to knock baddies, jumping on rooftops to make your escape, etc. I mean pushing a barrel into a bunch of baddies in strength mode never gets old...that sorta goes away with those dumb aliens. Boring!

C_Glass

If you're always stopping at the ice levels, you're missing a bunch then. I personally loved the fight inside the aircraft carrier on the first game plus the last third of the game in Warhead from the tunnel through the airfield.

I thought the aircraft carrier in Crysis had some graphical perks of its own and the KPA was out in force after the ice levels of Warhead.

I also enjoyed fighting the KPA nanosuits in the ice levels of Warhead.

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#68 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts
[QUOTE="shakmaster13"][QUOTE="Empirefrtw"]

In warhead I didn't like the chase hover thing but besides that the ice levels where my favorite in crysis.

Elann2008
I agree.

Well.... why the hell it didnt have a machinegun and they didnt put enemies? I mean seriously, so you just drive the hovercraft around when they could have add a machinegun to the vehicle and get more gameplay out of it.
Avatar image for deactivated-5ee322a396e26
deactivated-5ee322a396e26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 deactivated-5ee322a396e26
Member since 2005 • 2510 Posts

i liked the snow levels and they looked pretty impressive to me with all the ice and wind blowing snow around, a decent change from all the green and brown.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 jun_aka_pekto

[QUOTE="Elann2008"][QUOTE="shakmaster13"] I agree.dakan45

Well.... why the hell it didnt have a machinegun and they didnt put enemies? I mean seriously, so you just drive the hovercraft around when they could have add a machinegun to the vehicle and get more gameplay out of it.

There were enemies in the form of the flying aliens. The hovercraft was pretty shot up by the time I reached the first building complex. That's why I ditched it in favor of a gatling gun armored car.

If you decided to steal the hovercraft right off the bat, you'd have to deal with the 4 KPA nanosuits as well.

Add: I imagine you could hoof it on foot. But considering the weak armament at that point, you'd probably be overmatched against 3 or 4 flying aliens.

In any case, the time it took to travel from the sub to the first building complex (where the KPA armored cars are) lasted about a minute, maybe less assuming you didn't make any wrong turns.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 jun_aka_pekto

Anyway, you can toy with some of the aliens just like the KPA.... With the exception of those in Core, I find the aliens easier to deal with than the KPA.

Adaamos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#72 Adaamos
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
I did enjoy the Greenery levels more than the ice levels. Purely because my out of date graphics card found it very difficult to render the snow and keep my game running smoothly... Graphics card update is iminent i believe!
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 jun_aka_pekto

I did enjoy the Greenery levels more than the ice levels. Purely because my out of date graphics card found it very difficult to render the snow and keep my game running smoothly... Graphics card update is iminent i believe!Adaamos

Beats me why the snow murders the frame rates. It's not every snowflake is being rendered or anything. Maybe it's the volumetric effects; the animated sky (the clouds swirling around the alien mountain) in Warhead. Even at 1280x768, I had to turn off AA in several spots to keep the frame rates in the 30's and 40's.

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 BluRayHiDef

[QUOTE="Adaamos"]I did enjoy the Greenery levels more than the ice levels. Purely because my out of date graphics card found it very difficult to render the snow and keep my game running smoothly... Graphics card update is iminent i believe!jun_aka_pekto

Beats me why the snow murders the frame rates. It's not every snowflake is being rendered or anything. Maybe it's the volumetric effects; the animated sky (the clouds swirling around the alien mountain) in Warhead. Even at 1280x768, I had to turn off AA in several spots to keep the frame rates in the 30's and 40's.

I find this to be surprising. Wouldn't it be more difficult to render all of the vegetation than it would be to render snow and ice?

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

[QUOTE="dakan45"][QUOTE="Elann2008"] I second this. Stupid Hovercraft.jun_aka_pekto

There were enemies in the form of the flying aliens. The hovercraft was pretty shot up by the time I reached the first building complex. That's why I ditched it in favor of a gatling gun armored car.

If you decided to steal the hovercraft right off the bat, you'd have to deal with the 4 KPA nanosuits as well.

Add: I imagine you could hoof it on foot. But considering the weak armament at that point, you'd probably be overmatched against 3 or 4 flying aliens.

In any case, the time it took to travel from the sub to the first building complex (where the KPA armored cars are) lasted about a minute, maybe less assuming you didn't make any wrong turns.

Dont you just love how you could approach each level in a variety of ways? To me, Crysis isn't all about graphics but the sub-freedom you have. Sometimes, I would just boot up Crysis to mess around and throw enemy soldiers into the air. :P
BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 BluRayHiDef

[QUOTE="jun_aka_pekto"]

[QUOTE="dakan45"] Well.... why the hell it didnt have a machinegun and they didnt put enemies? I mean seriously, so you just drive the hovercraft around when they could have add a machinegun to the vehicle and get more gameplay out of it.Elann2008

Dont you just love how you could approach each level in a variety of ways? To me, Crysis isn't all about graphics but the sub-freedom you have. Sometimes, I would just boot up Crysis to mess around and throw enemy soldiers into the air. :P

I've never tried throwing them in the air, before. I always throw them forward. I'm going to have to try this out.

kuasha786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#77 kuasha786
Member since 2004 • 302 Posts

the_mitch28
Agreed.
Swiftstrike5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Swiftstrike5
Member since 2005 • 6950 Posts

the_mitch28
Mystic-G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Mystic-G
Member since 2006 • 6462 Posts

lol, the ice picture looked like something from Killzone 3.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 jun_aka_pekto

[QUOTE="jun_aka_pekto"]

[QUOTE="Adaamos"]I did enjoy the Greenery levels more than the ice levels. Purely because my out of date graphics card found it very difficult to render the snow and keep my game running smoothly... Graphics card update is iminent i believe!BluRayHiDef

I find this to be surprising. Wouldn't it be more difficult to render all of the vegetation than it would be to render snow and ice?

That's what I thought too. Looking back in the direction of the alien mountain with the swirling clouds seems to bring the frame rates down while looking away seems to bring the frame rates back up with either 4xAA or 2xAA. With AA off, the frame rates are fine enough either way.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 jun_aka_pekto

lol, the ice picture looked like something from Killzone 3.

Mystic-G

Well, there's only so many different ways to model snow and ice. Plus, a simple adjustment of settings can remove a lot of the blur in the distance. I do like the ice which I never really noticed until I decided to do some mopping up of enemies in those levels.

Ondoval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 Ondoval
Member since 2005 • 3103 Posts

jun_aka_pekto

Can be done at foot, I did it in 2 of my 3 runs across Warhead.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 jun_aka_pekto

[QUOTE="jun_aka_pekto"]

Ondoval

Can be done at foot, I did it in 2 of my 3 runs across Warhead.

I'll try it when I get the urge to play it again.

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#84 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts
The ice levels was when the game got actually fun for me. So no, I like them.
DigitalExile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 DigitalExile
Member since 2008 • 16046 Posts

I would have prefered if, when leaving the slien spaceship, that there was far more jungle-ice areas. Having a complete transformation seemed well, almost out of place. It there'd been more transition or something it probably would have been better. I liked the zero-g environment of the spaceship. Gameplay was fun and it looked pretty, but the ice was just bland and repetitive.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#86 vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts

the_mitch28
Yep, 10.0 until the aliens show up, then it becomes a normal cliche shooter. Fighting humans gave you a super hero feeling when you learned to use the suit efficiently, the aliens took that away.
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 jun_aka_pekto

[QUOTE="the_mitch28"]

vfibsux

Yep, 10.0 until the aliens show up, then it becomes a normal cliche shooter. Fighting humans gave you a super hero feeling when you learned to use the suit efficiently, the aliens took that away.

The aliens still lose sight of the character when it cloaks. The flying aliens still shoot at the last spot where Nomad or Psycho was last seen. I can still punch the small aliens like Popeye using Strength Mode. I can still grab their scruffy necks just like the KPA. The flying aliens can be dealt with similarly to dealing with the KPA choppers. The only thing the aliens have over the KPA is speed and agility. Good aim and using the correct weapons bring them down quite easily.

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 BluRayHiDef

[QUOTE="vfibsux"][QUOTE="the_mitch28"]

jun_aka_pekto

The aliens still lose sight of the character when it cloaks. The flying aliens still shoot at the last spot where Nomad or Psycho was last seen. I can still punch the small aliens like Popeye using Strength Mode. I can still grab their scruffy necks just like the KPA. The flying aliens can be dealt with similarly to dealing with the KPA choppers. The only thing the aliens have over the KPA is speed and agility. Good aim and using the correct weapons bring them down quite easily.

Yea, but they're not as funny as the KPA soldiers. Take him out! Got em! He's Cloaked! Enemy! They sound so funny at times. It's also fun to grab them by their necks and toss them around like rag dolls. It's not as fun with the aliens.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 jun_aka_pekto

[QUOTE="jun_aka_pekto"]

[QUOTE="vfibsux"] Yep, 10.0 until the aliens show up, then it becomes a normal cliche shooter. Fighting humans gave you a super hero feeling when you learned to use the suit efficiently, the aliens took that away.BluRayHiDef

Yea, but they're not as funny as the KPA soldiers. Take him out! Got em! He's Cloaked! Enemy! They sound so funny at times. It's also fun to grab them by their necks and toss them around like rag dolls. It's not as fun with the aliens.

You're not playing on Delta? I'm very very very disappointed, young man. :lol: j/k

Anyway, I like the aliens self-destruct while grabbed. Just make sure your nanosuit is charged or else your character dies with them. Plus, I personally find the KPA more convincing in their native tongue.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#90 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

I actually liked the Ice levels alot. Sure not as good as the lush island in earlyier parts, but still a nice change up imo.

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 BluRayHiDef

[QUOTE="BluRayHiDef"]

Yea, but they're not as funny as the KPA soldiers. Take him out! Got em! He's Cloaked! Enemy! They sound so funny at times. It's also fun to grab them by their necks and toss them around like rag dolls. It's not as fun with the aliens.jun_aka_pekto

You're not playing on Delta? I'm very very very disappointed, young man. :lol: j/k

Anyway, I like the aliens self-destruct while grabbed. Just make sure your nanosuit is charged or else your character dies with them. Plus, I personally find the KPA more convincing in their native tongue.

1. I didn't get the joke. :( What did you mean by asking me whether I'm playing on Delta?
  2. I can change the language the KPA troops speak in? How?
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 jun_aka_pekto

[QUOTE="jun_aka_pekto"]

[QUOTE="BluRayHiDef"]

Yea, but they're not as funny as the KPA soldiers. Take him out! Got em! He's Cloaked! Enemy! They sound so funny at times. It's also fun to grab them by their necks and toss them around like rag dolls. It's not as fun with the aliens.BluRayHiDef

1. I didn't get the joke. :( What did you mean by asking me whether I'm playing on Delta?
  2. I can change the language the KPA troops speak in? How?

Delta is the hardest difficulty setting when you start a new game. The KPA speaks mostly Korean. I say mostly because you might hear an occasional "American Dog!". Otherwise all KPA dialogue are in Korean which is much more convincing to me. The KPA speaks English mainly in the lower difficulty levels.

As for the AI difficulty level, they seem to be a joke with anything less than Delta.