Crysis and Warhead don't support 1920x1080 resolution?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

funkyzoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 funkyzoom
Member since 2005 • 1534 Posts

Had played Crysis and Warhead long back when I had a regular 4:3 monitor. Now I installed them again, and I'm surprised the game doesn't support 1920x1080 resolution. These games came out in 2007 and 2008, and many games as early as 2005 used to support 1080p. I checked for a solution all over the net, but I only found fixes for Nvidia cards, by using the NVidia contorl panel. I'm using an AMD card, and couldn't find any solution. Could someone please tell me how to run these 2 games in 1920x1080 resolution? Thank you.

V4LENT1NE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 V4LENT1NE
Member since 2006 • 12901 Posts
Are they patched?
C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 C_Rule
Member since 2008 • 9816 Posts
Crysis runs 1080p for me, without having to do anything special. Have you tried updating the games?
funkyzoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 funkyzoom

Are they patched?V4LENT1NE

Yeah they're patched . I dunno what the hell is wrong. Is there any way to force 1080p either through a configuration file or the AMD control panel?

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

My Crysis Maximum Edition supports 1080p just fine. Try setting the maximum resolution supported by the monitor in the video card driver (CCC or Nvidia panel) before installation of any game.

funkyzoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 funkyzoom

My Crysis Maximum Edition supports 1080p just fine. Try setting the maximum resolution supported by the monitor in the video card driver (CCC or Nvidia panel) before installation of any game.

jun_aka_pekto

My monitor is already running at 1080p.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 jun_aka_pekto

[QUOTE="jun_aka_pekto"]

funkyzoom

That's fine. But, if you're using AMD cards, you should still set the maximum resolution (aka native res) in CCC. My Sapphire HD 5770 was notorious for not seeing widescreen resolutions in some games (most notably, Crysis and Warhead) until I set it in CCC. In any case, setting it would eliminate one more possible cause in your case.

funkyzoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 funkyzoom

[QUOTE="funkyzoom"]

[QUOTE="jun_aka_pekto"]

jun_aka_pekto

That's fine. But, if you're using AMD cards, you should still set the maximum resolution (aka native res) in CCC. My Sapphire HD 5770 was notorious for not seeing widescreen resolutions in some games (most notably, Crysis and Warhead) until I set it in CCC. In any case, setting it would eliminate one more possible cause in your case.

I'm unable to find the 'native resolution' setting anywhere. When I click on 'desktop properties' under 'desktop management', there is an option to set 'desktop area', which is already set to 1920x1080. Is this the setting you were referring to?

gamespot4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 gamespot4life
Member since 2007 • 1301 Posts

Had played Crysis and Warhead long back when I had a regular 4:3 monitor. Now I installed them again, and I'm surprised the game doesn't support 1920x1080 resolution. These games came out in 2007 and 2008, and many games as early as 2005 used to support 1080p. I checked for a solution all over the net, but I only found fixes for Nvidia cards, by using the NVidia contorl panel. I'm using an AMD card, and couldn't find any solution. Could someone please tell me how to run these 2 games in 1920x1080 resolution? Thank you.

funkyzoom

that resolution works just fine for me... not sure what you are doing wrong

Avatar image for hartsickdiscipl
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 hartsickdiscipl
Member since 2003 • 14787 Posts

I've never had any issues running Crysis games at 1080p. Make sure that you're scrolling through all of the available resolutions in the menu.

funkyzoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 funkyzoom

I've never had any issues running Crysis games at 1080p. Make sure that you're scrolling through all of the available resolutions in the menu.

hartsickdiscipl

Come on, I'm not that dumb. Check this link. It says Crysis does NOT support 1080p.

Ross_the_Boss6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Ross_the_Boss6
Member since 2009 • 4056 Posts

Are you sure you physically scrolled down to reveal the 1920x1080 option? When you open the resolution options the first time playing the game, it doesn't show up - you have to scroll to it.

I doubt that's your problem...but you never know.

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts
For some reason their 1080p is crap as well, it runs at 24hz for no apparent reason which means it cuts off the edges of the screen for me.
Avatar image for GamingVengeance
GamingVengeance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 GamingVengeance
Member since 2012 • 1874 Posts
They run in 2560x1440 fine for me, nm 1080p
the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

I've never had trouble running either at 1920x1080. It's right there in the list. You might have to actually scroll down to get to it. Also, I can't remember if there's a separate checkbox/menu for choosing your aspect ratio. If there is, you'll have to select 16:9, before those resolution will show up.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#16 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
I run it on my 1200p res. I don't think you scrolled down enough in the resolution menu. It's there.
ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

I actually had trouble with this once. Crysis wasn't displaying any resolutions past 720p or so. Was an issue with DX10 so I just went back to DX9.

IcyToasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 IcyToasters
Member since 2007 • 12476 Posts

Are you sure you physically scrolled down to reveal the 1920x1080 option? When you open the resolution options the first time playing the game, it doesn't show up - you have to scroll to it.

I doubt that's your problem...but you never know.

Ross_the_Boss6

I had that problem with 1680 x 1050 too.
there's a scroll bar on the screen resolution drop-down menue that is hard to see.
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

but this would probably work too if it's being weird and not listing your resolution
(1) Find game.cfg
(probably at :
\Documents and Settings\User\My Documents\My Games\Crysis
and
\Documents and Settings\User\My Documents\My Games\Crysis_WARHEAD)

(2) Open it with Notepad and find r_Height= and r_Width=

(3) Make them r_Height= 1080and r_Width=1980

(4) Save the file

I forced the resolution before I saw that I could scroll down the list of resolutions, but when I did it I think I just did something like adding "+r_Width=1680 +r_Height=1050" to the shortcut -- I'm not sure on that right now though because my shortcuts seem weird to me right now.

tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 tagyhag
Member since 2007 • 15874 Posts
I had that problem too. I made my own resolution (1920x1076) using CCC, and it showed up on both games.
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 jun_aka_pekto

[QUOTE="jun_aka_pekto"]

[QUOTE="funkyzoom"]

funkyzoom

I'm unable to find the 'native resolution' setting anywhere. When I click on 'desktop properties' under 'desktop management', there is an option to set 'desktop area', which is already set to 1920x1080. Is this the setting you were referring to?

Okay. I checked my kid's gaming PC which now has that HD 5770. There seems to have been a slight rearrangement of the menu options. The old CCC (from 2010) used to have THAT plus a setting for the max res.

Anyway, are you using a monitor or an HDTV? Also, what kind of video port (VGA, DVI, HDMI) are you using? From my own experience with the 5770, Crytek games (Crysis, Warhead, and Crysis 2) were finicky with 1080p especially when using HDMI. Using DVI and VGA allowed Crysis to do 1080p. But then, I sometimes get the "washed out" colors with black borders bit. I then had to try Alt-Enter several times until the 1080p resolution looked okay.

The 5770 sometimes struggled with Very High (DX10) in Crysis and Warhead. So, I just added a switch "-dx9" in the shortcut which eliminated all the above problems although the max detail I can get Crysis/Warhead to is High.

Edit:

I did my midlife video card upgrade (to a GTX 560 Ti) back in 2011, alternating between AMD and Nvidia cards. Most issues I had with the above disappeared. It's only the aformentioned Crytek games that gave me those issues though.

Avatar image for deactivated-58b6232955e4a
deactivated-58b6232955e4a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-58b6232955e4a
Member since 2006 • 15594 Posts
Make sure you use the side scroll bar when selecting your resolution.
ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts
Run the game in Windows Vista compatibility mode.
funkyzoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 funkyzoom

Okay. I checked my kid's gaming PC which now has that HD 5770. There seems to have been a slight rearrangement of the menu options. The old CCC (from 2010) used to have THAT plus a setting for the max res.

Anyway, are you using a monitor or an HDTV? Also, what kind of video port (VGA, DVI, HDMI) are you using? From my own experience with the 5770, Crytek games (Crysis, Warhead, and Crysis 2) were finicky with 1080p especially when using HDMI. Using DVI and VGA allowed Crysis to do 1080p. But then, I sometimes get the "washed out" colors with black borders bit. I then had to try Alt-Enter several times until the 1080p resolution looked okay.

The 5770 sometimes struggled with Very High (DX10) in Crysis and Warhead. So, I just added a switch "-dx9" in the shortcut which eliminated all the above problems although the max detail I can get Crysis/Warhead to is High.

Edit:

I did my midlife video card upgrade (to a GTX 560 Ti) back in 2011, alternating between AMD and Nvidia cards. Most issues I had with the above disappeared. It's only the aformentioned Crytek games that gave me those issues though.

jun_aka_pekto

I'm using a regular monitor, not a HDTV. Also I'm using DVI because my monitor supports only VGA and DVI, but not HDMI. I have a HD 6950 2GB, which I guess is not that powerful by today's standards.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 jun_aka_pekto

[QUOTE="jun_aka_pekto"]

Edit:

funkyzoom

I'm using a regular monitor, not a HDTV. Also I'm using DVI because my monitor supports only VGA and DVI, but not HDMI. I have a HD 6950 2GB, which I guess is not that powerful by today's standards.

Join the club. I have a GTX 560 Ti which would be slotted between a 6870 and a 6950. But, Crysis does 1080p on mine. I use a 24" 1080p TV as a monitor. A lot of monitors don't have remotes which I like.

Crysis2012-12-2410-13-34-45_zps9a90bf7e.

not_wanted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 not_wanted
Member since 2008 • 1990 Posts

hartsickdiscipl

This. Just scroll. lol

rogelio22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 rogelio22
Member since 2006 • 2477 Posts

yes i believe i also took me a while to find the scroll down bar for both games! but it is there! also if you are using hdmi you have to either alt-enter out of the game a few times or run in dx9 mode to get above 24hz

funkyzoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 funkyzoom

Thanks for your replies guys! I finally managed to run the game in 1920x1080 resolution. I guess my AMD graphics drivers were corrupted or something. I uninstalled the video drivers, removed every trace of them using driver sweeper, and then reinstalled them. After this, the 1080p resolution is being displayed in the Crysis and Warhead options. I'm able to run the games smoothly on 'enthusiast' setting, but they lag slightly on the 'gamer' setting (or vice versa. I don't remember whether 'enthusiast' or 'gamer' is the higher setting).

not_wanted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 not_wanted
Member since 2008 • 1990 Posts

Thanks for your replies guys! I finally managed to run the game in 1920x1080 resolution. I guess my AMD graphics drivers were corrupted or something. I uninstalled the video drivers, removed every trace of them using driver sweeper, and then reinstalled them. After this, the 1080p resolution is being displayed in the Crysis and Warhead options. I'm able to run the games smoothly on 'enthusiast' setting, but they lag slightly on the 'gamer' setting (or vice versa. I don't remember whether 'enthusiast' or 'gamer' is the higher setting).

funkyzoom

lol lags on gamer but smooth on enthusiast? Enthusiast is the highest setting (like Crysis' very high setting). I wish the games would run like that on my PC. :P

funkyzoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 funkyzoom

[QUOTE="funkyzoom"]

not_wanted

lol lags on gamer but smooth on enthusiast? Enthusiast is the highest setting (like Crysis' very high setting). I wish the games would run like that on my PC. :P

I said " I'm able to run the games smoothly on 'enthusiast' setting, but they lag slightly on the 'gamer' setting (or vice versa. I don't remember whether 'enthusiast' or 'gamer' is the higher setting)". I specifically mentioned that I don't remember which one is the highest setting. By the way, its the first time in my life I'm able to run games at high settings. I can never afford a high end graphics card. Just that I came across an excellent offer for a used graphics card (HD 6950 2GB) on ebay, and lapped it up. I paid only the half the cost of a new card.