Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi X-RAM needed?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

leedale30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 leedale30
Member since 2003 • 160 Posts

Does this really make games faster? I only know of BF2 that uses it.

What version of the X-Fi would you all suggest getting? I have a pro audio card for pro audio (pro tools rig etc) but I want a new EAX card for my gameing.

Cheers

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts

i'ld look towords the gamer fatal1ty for gaming but if you want to use your PC to record from other devices get the Xtreme music as that's compatible with the drive bay add on.

As for games that support X-Fi there's a list on the creative site that's quite long.

codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#3 codezer0
Member since 2004 • 15898 Posts

If you want to use the front-panel audio ports on your case, unfortunately the only real choices are the XtremeAudio and XtremeGamer half-height cards. :( I'd wish Creative would make one that had that front-panel support and X-RAM available.

There is a model that they sell called the Fatal1ty Pro if you don't need the X-Fi drive and its I/O stuff, and still has the X-RAM stuff.

The good thing is the card has hardware support for OpenAL, and every version of EAX that Creative has released. The bad news is that the list of games that even can support the X-RAM added RAM is currently very small. Which is a shame, since the principle behind it is sound and really could make a difference if a game could be coded to at least be aware of that functionality, if not totally take advantage of it.

leedale30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 leedale30
Member since 2003 • 160 Posts

Sorry I meant that I already have a PRO card for music I just want one for gaming.

Baselerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#5 Baselerd
Member since 2003 • 5104 Posts
The x-ram is not needed in any way possible. I run bf2 on the highest audio settings with an x-fi platinum, and that doesnt have x-ram. I read somewhere that you needed x-ram to use the highest settings, but 2142 and bf2 both allow me the highest (bf2 used to not to though, a few patches back.) However, the Fatal1ty x-fi card is an excellent card, especially with the platinum removed it's the only x-fi card that fits in the $150ish price range.