Core 2 Duo laptop running at 790mhz ??

This topic is locked from further discussion.

adam0926

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 adam0926
Member since 2006 • 5064 Posts

I found an old Dell laptop yesterday that i had a few years ago, it has a 2GHz C2D cpu. I installed Windows 7 on it and was going to give it to my mother as i don't need it. The only problem is after installing Windows 7 and all drivers it seamed abit slow so i put CPU ID on it and the CPU is at 790 mhz, so i changed the power saving setting so the minimum the cpu can go is 100% and still only 790mhz. I put AIDA64 on and it reads the same even when running a stress test.

In the BIOS it says the minimum cpu speed is 1.2GHz so it should even go that low?? what is going on??

Avatar image for -GeordiLaForge-
-GeordiLaForge-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 -GeordiLaForge-
Member since 2006 • 7167 Posts
Hmm, I'm not sure.. Have you tried updating the bios?
adam0926

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 adam0926

I've dated the Bios and that gave me some improvement as it now maxes at 1598mhz but still considerably less than the 2ghz its rated at.

I cant get my head around it I've tried everything i can think of and it just wont run at 2ghz.

-GeordiLaForge-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 -GeordiLaForge-
Have you disabled Intel Speedstep and checked for a CPU multiplier or other bios settings?
ndawgdrake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ndawgdrake
Member since 2009 • 533 Posts
Set the power option to High Performance.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

try running a game or other program and then check what it is. My AMD X6 is OC'd to 4ghz, but when im at the desktop it only runs at 800-1600mhz to save on heat and power

adam0926

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 adam0926

Ive tried all the obvious and to no avail.
I have pinned it down to being the power adapter as it was replaced last year with a cheapo universal one, apparently this can cause performance issues due to lack of power to the CPU, I have ordered a new official Dell one so i will soon find out if that was the cause.

-GeordiLaForge-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 -GeordiLaForge-

I have pinned it down to being the power adapter as it was replaced last year with a cheapo universal one, apparently this can cause performance issues due to lack of power to the CPU, I have ordered a new official Dell one so i will soon find out if that was the cause.

adam0926
Nah, that's definitely not the problem. I hope that Dell didn't actually tell you this. The PSU can't cause your CPU to underclock...
GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

800 MHz should be enough for your mom anyways. My athlon 64 II 240 runs at 800MHz whenever I am just in the desktop. If you are experiencing slowdowns, you probably don't have enough RAM on that machine, I'd upgrade the RAM to the maximum possible (which is probably 2 or 4GB)

adam0926

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 adam0926

[QUOTE="adam0926"]

-GeordiLaForge-

Nah, that's definitely not the problem. I hope that Dell didn't actually tell you this. The PSU can't cause your CPU to underclock...

It deffinatly is the problem, I got a new official Dell 90w adapter today and as soon as it was plugged in the CPU when from 798mhz to 1995mhz.

adam0926

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 adam0926

Oh and the it already has 2GB of RAM anyway and a 8600GT M graphics unit. Its a good lappy now it turns out having a faulty or unofficial Dell adapter can cause loss of performance.
True tho i doubt she would need more than 800mhz but she runs a business in publishing and often has to use psd and indd

-GeordiLaForge-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 -GeordiLaForge-

[QUOTE="-GeordiLaForge-"][QUOTE="adam0926"]

adam0926

It deffinatly is the problem, I got a new official Dell 90w adapter today and as soon as it was plugged in the CPU when from 798mhz to 1995mhz.

I thought that the bios update increased the speed to 1600MHz? Anyway, I've never heard of a bios configured to underclock components when their not getting enough power. I'll have to read up on Dell specific features in bioses...
adam0926

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 adam0926

[QUOTE="adam0926"]

[QUOTE="-GeordiLaForge-"]Nah, that's definitely not the problem. I hope that Dell didn't actually tell you this. The PSU can't cause your CPU to underclock...-GeordiLaForge-

I thought that the bios update increased the speed to 1600MHz? Anyway, I've never heard of a bios configured to underclock components when their not getting enough power. I'll have to read up on Dell specific features in bioses...

Yes a BIOS update temporarily increased the speed from 798mhz to 1598mhz but soon went back to 798mhz with a new adapter the cpu was running at full speed. Its a common fault with Dell I did extensive research on it over the last few days. Lack of power to the cpu means a lower multiplier will be used, it was also a technique used to encourage customers to spend more money by buying direct from Dell rather than getting cheaper universal adapters.

There aren't any settings in Dell bios to change this because Dell ship most their laptops with very limited read only bios's.