Controller on Left 4 dead help!!!!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MrPuffa777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 MrPuffa777
Member since 2005 • 200 Posts

So i was just messing around with my ps3 controller and trying to get left 4 dead to work.

Basically the problem is i can't get the right joystick to become the aim(bare with me, i was having trouble describing it), while i ccan get the left joystick to become my move and strafe.

I have been messing around with the configurations for i dont know how long now and i just can't get it to work. Any help/insight would be very appreciated.

Riven023

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Riven023
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

unbindall // Prevent mouse/keyboard control when gamepad is in use (to prevent autoaim exploit) joystick 1 joy_advanced "1" // use advanced joystick options (allows for multiple axes) joy_name "L4D Xbox360 Joystick Configuration" joy_advaxisx 3 // x-axis controls GAME_AXIS_SIDE (strafing left and right) joy_advaxisy 1 // y-axis controls GAME_AXIS_FORWARD (move forward and back) joy_advaxisz 4 // z-axis is treated like a button joy_advaxisr 2 // r-axis controls GAME_AXIS_PITCH (look up and down) joy_advaxisu 0 // u-axis controls GAME_AXIS_YAW (look left and right) joy_advaxisv 0 // v-axis is unused joy_forwardsensitivity -1.0 // movement sensitivity joy_sidesensitivity 1.0 joy_forwardthreshold 0.1 // movement dead zone settings joy_sidethreshold 0.1 joy_pitchsensitivity 1.0 // look sensitivity joy_yawsensitivity -1.5 joy_pitchthreshold 0.0 // look dead zone settings joy_yawthreshold 0.0 joy_inverty2 0 joy_variable_frametime 1 joy_autoaimdampenrange 0.85 joy_autoaimdampen 0.5 joy_lowend 0.65 joy_lowmap 0.15 joy_accelscale 3.0 joy_accelmax 4.0 joy_response_move 5 joy_response_look 1 joy_autoaimdampen 0.3 joy_autoaimdampenrange 0.85 joyadvancedupdate // advanced joystick update allows for analog control of move and look // Alternate control 2 cmd2 bind "0" "slot10" cmd2 bind "1" "slot1" cmd2 bind "2" "slot2" cmd2 bind "3" "slot3" cmd2 bind "4" "slot4" cmd2 bind "5" "slot5" cmd2 bind "6" "slot6" cmd2 bind "7" "slot7" cmd2 bind "8" "slot8" cmd2 bind "9" "slot9" cmd2 bind "a" "+moveleft" cmd2 bind "c" "+voicerecord" cmd2 bind "d" "+moveright" cmd2 bind "e" "+use" cmd2 bind "f" "impulse 100" cmd2 bind "h" "motd" cmd2 bind "m" "chooseteam" cmd2 bind "q" "lastinv" cmd2 bind "r" "+reload" cmd2 bind "s" "+back" cmd2 bind "t" "impulse 201" cmd2 bind "u" "messagemode2" cmd2 bind "w" "+forward" cmd2 bind "x" "+mouse_menu QA" cmd2 bind "y" "messagemode" cmd2 bind "z" "+mouse_menu Orders" cmd2 bind "`" "toggleconsole" cmd2 bind "SPACE" "+jump" cmd2 bind "TAB" "+showscores" cmd2 bind "ESCAPE" "cancelselect" cmd2 bind "SHIFT" "+speed" cmd2 bind "CTRL" "+duck" cmd2 bind "F1" "Vote Yes" cmd2 bind "F2" "Vote No" cmd2 bind "F5" "jpeg" cmd2 bind "MOUSE1" "+attack" cmd2 bind "MOUSE2" "+attack2" cmd2 bind "MOUSE3" "+zoom" cmd2 bind "MWHEELUP" "invprev" cmd2 bind "MWHEELDOWN" "invnext" // controller1 bindings +jlook // Enable joystick look bind "JOY1" "+showscores" // (select) - Shows everybody's scores bind "JOY2" "+speed" // (L3) - Walk bind "JOY3" "+zoom" // (R3) - Zoom with scope bind "JOY4" "pause" // (start) - Pause bind "JOY5" "impulse 201" // (DPad Up) - Spray Tag bind "JOY6" "slot5" // (DPad Left) - Pills bind "JOY7" "impulse 100" // (DPad Down) - Toggle flashlight bind "JOY8" "slot4" // (DPad Right) - Health bind "JOY9" "+attack2" // (L2) - Melee bind "JOY10" "+attack" // (R2) - Attack main weapon bind "JOY11" "invprev" // (L1) - Previous in inventory bind "JOY12" "invnext" // (R1) - Next in inventory bind "JOY13" "+use" // (Triangle) - Use bind "JOY14" "toggle_duck" // (O) - Duck bind "JOY15" "+jump;+menuAccept" // (X) button - Jump bind "JOY16" "+reload" // ([]) button - Reload // controller2 bindings cmd2 +jlook // Enable joystick look cmd2 bind "JOY1" "+showscores" // (select) - Shows everybody's scores cmd2 bind "JOY2" "+speed" // (L3) - Walk cmd2 bind "JOY3" "+zoom" // (R3) - Zoom with scope cmd2 bind "JOY4" "pause" // (start) - Pause cmd2 bind "JOY5" "impulse 201" // (DPad Up) - Spray Tag cmd2 bind "JOY6" "slot5" // (DPad Left) - Pills cmd2 bind "JOY7" "impulse 100" // (DPad Down) - Toggle flashlight cmd2 bind "JOY8" "slot4" // (DPad Right) - Health cmd2 bind "JOY9" "+attack2" // (L2) - Melee cmd2 bind "JOY10" "+attack" // (R2) - Attack main weapon cmd2 bind "JOY11" "invprev" // (L1) - Previous in inventory cmd2 bind "JOY12" "invnext" // (R1) - Next in inventory cmd2 bind "JOY13" "+use" // (Triangle) - Use cmd2 bind "JOY14" "toggle_duck" // (O) - Duck cmd2 bind "JOY15" "+jump;+menuAccept" // (X) button - Jump cmd2 bind "JOY16" "+reload" // ([]) button - Reload

ERRR that didnt work very well. That was supposed to be my config file but it didnt come over well. If you search google for Left 4 Dead +Splitscreen +ps3 you will find a guide that will have it formated right. That is the starting point I used.

POJO_MOFO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 POJO_MOFO
Member since 2004 • 5525 Posts
Why in the world would you want to play L4D with the PS3 controller???
Riven023

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Riven023
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
I do because I play split screen with the wife.
weijiesen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 weijiesen
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
ANY controller can be used when playing Left 4 Dead. You do NOT need to go out and buy a 360 controller and download any drivers. Just go to the config folder and open 360controller.cfg with notepad. Now change the values to match your buttons. It may take some trial and error. but not more than 10 minutes I'd say. You don't need to waste money or time getting a 360 controller especially if you have a PS3 controller or Logitech or Microsquash or whatever you like just keep using it. If you want to know how to make both analogs work properly i can help with that. I'm using a PS2 controller to play L4D and it works fine ah oh with the aiming on the controllers you see when you open that 360controller.cfg file did you notice at the top it lists the AXIS? well just Swith the values of the R Axis and the Z axis and everything that follows. understand? if not, send me a message
nbaballa08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 nbaballa08
can you help me on how to configure the controller to play l4d?? i have a logitech controller everything works fine except for looking left and right
Phynx1273

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Phynx1273
[QUOTE="weijiesen"]ANY controller can be used when playing Left 4 Dead. You do NOT need to go out and buy a 360 controller and download any drivers. Just go to the config folder and open 360controller.cfg with notepad. Now change the values to match your buttons. It may take some trial and error. but not more than 10 minutes I'd say. You don't need to waste money or time getting a 360 controller especially if you have a PS3 controller or Logitech or Microsquash or whatever you like just keep using it. If you want to know how to make both analogs work properly i can help with that. I'm using a PS2 controller to play L4D and it works fine ah oh with the aiming on the controllers you see when you open that 360controller.cfg file did you notice at the top it lists the AXIS? well just Swith the values of the R Axis and the Z axis and everything that follows. understand? if not, send me a message

Hello, I am experiencing a problem with my Logitech Dual Action controller, and it's compatibility with Left4Dead Pc game. I am able to configure all actions related to the game except for the (preferably right joystick-aiming). I am quite unclear on what to set the move forward-backwards-strife left-strife right. I always end up with D-Pad being aim, and left joystick movement in all directions. All I am attempting to do is to set left analog stick for movement (forward-back-left-right), and set right analog stick to aim (up-down-left-right) I simply can not get the aim to look left or right. I am interested in learning this '360controller.config' technique, and also wanting to know how you set you buttons in the Left 4 dead Keyboard-Buttons editing menu. My current setting for '360controller.config' is: joy_name "L4D Xbox360 Joystick Configuration" joy_advaxisx 3 // x-axis controls GAME_AXIS_SIDE (strafing left and right) joy_advaxisy 1 // y-axis controls GAME_AXIS_FORWARD (move forward and back) joy_advaxisz 0 // z-axis is treated like a button joy_advaxisr 2 // r-axis controls GAME_AXIS_PITCH (look up and down) joy_advaxisu 4 // u-axis controls GAME_AXIS_YAW (look left and right) joy_advaxisv 0 // v-axis is unused I need to know what values to change. O hear switching advaxisu and advaxisz would do it, but I'm still stuck. Do i edit the config file, and then just run L4D, or is there more to this. Please HELP! Any help would be appreciated.
MyopicCanadian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#8 MyopicCanadian
Member since 2004 • 8345 Posts

If you're having trouble with the controller config, I believe Xpadder works with all sorts of controllers, just gotta find the image for it. And then set up the right analog stick as mouse movement

theebsestaaron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 theebsestaaron
hi man am not to confused when doin the controllers its just when i try to so the look left and right analog i cant do it can you help plz thanks
bigfoot10001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 bigfoot10001
how do u use a joystick with left 4 dead? i have no idea
landopit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 landopit
i got the same problem and i inverted the sticks and it works ok but is inverted and it works but its a **** to manege like that
Hornsqualid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 Hornsqualid
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts
The issue of the right to left turning/aiming on a logitech pad is easy...just edit the config file by replacing the 0 on the z-axis with 4 and then in the same way change the u-axis to 0. I know this is a bit delayed but better late than never
Roberts2365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Roberts2365
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
I am having the same issues with the right analog stick not working for my ps3 controller. I tried changing the values around, but was only able to get it to work looking left and right. I can not get the right stick to look up and down. Here is what I currently have it mapped to. Currently, looking up and down is controlled by tilting the controller up and down. Maybe it is because I am not using the same driver that this config was originally made for. I am using MotionInJoy but the website that I got this off of from googling left 4 dead 2 ps3 split screen did not use this one. unbindall // Prevent mouse/keyboard control when gamepad is in use (to prevent autoaim exploit) joystick 1 joy_advanced "1" // use advanced joystick options (allows for multiple axes) joy_name "L4D Xbox360 Joystick Configuration" joy_advaxisx 3 // x-axis controls GAME_AXIS_SIDE (strafing left and right) joy_advaxisy 1 // y-axis controls GAME_AXIS_FORWARD (move forward and back) joy_advaxisz 0 // z-axis is treated like a button joy_advaxisr 0 // r-axis controls GAME_AXIS_PITCH (look up and down) joy_advaxisu 2 // u-axis controls GAME_AXIS_YAW (look left and right) joy_advaxisv 4 // v-axis is unused joy_forwardsensitivity -1.0 // movement sensitivity joy_sidesensitivity 1.0 joy_forwardthreshold 0.1 // movement dead zone settings joy_sidethreshold 0.1 joy_pitchsensitivity 1.0 // look sensitivity joy_yawsensitivity -1.5 joy_pitchthreshold 0.1 // look dead zone settings joy_yawthreshold 0.0 joy_variable_frametime 1 joy_autoaimdampenrange 0.85 joy_autoaimdampen 0.5 joy_lowend 0.65 joy_lowmap 0.15 joy_accelscale 3.0 joy_accelmax 4.0 joy_response_move 5 joy_response_look 1 joy_autoaimdampen 0.3 joy_autoaimdampenrange 0.85 joyadvancedupdate // advanced joystick update allows for analog control of move and look Any help would be greatly appreciated.
dogfood65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 dogfood65
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
i have gotten my steelseries 3gc joystick to do everthing i need except move left and right..help!!! how do i make this stupid stick do what i want
snover2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#15 snover2009
Member since 2008 • 1730 Posts

Why in the world would you want to play L4D with the PS3 controller???POJO_MOFO

Because some people prefer a gamepad to the mouse/keyboard setup.

GuitarPAaron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16 GuitarPAaron
Member since 2006 • 1368 Posts

How are there like 10 new people in here? lol

noobs everywhere

clue-less

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 clue-less
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
so........ i have just bought a ps3 controller from argos that is supposed to work on PCs so i plugged it in to play left for dead 1 and had exactly the same problems as you guys the I CANT GET THE RIGHT ANALOG STICK TO BE USED AS TO LOOK LEFT OR RIGHT sure it'll look up an down perfectly but to no avail will it look left or right i've changed the buttons on the button layout screen but there are no options to fix the looking left an right bit..... i have read the part on configuring something like joy_blah blah blah joy_something joy_dunno what this is joy_WTF is this and ECT i just dont get it, so please, please can someone explain what i am to do step by step cause i feel like taking my computer and annihilating it or something please someone help me ):( (RAGE)