Computer repeatedly crashing, could it be something other then the GPU?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

User Lists: 0

#1 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

So I got a refurbished GTX 460 and I'm almost certain the 460 is the culprit to my problems. My computer keeps restarting, the monitor stops displaying things, sometimes it won't even show anything on screen when starting up and it all ties into my card. My PC works fine without a card (though granted I can't play anything using an integrated card), but when I took it to some PC people they said it could be something other then the card.

I know it's not the driver since I used driversweep and have tried various drivers, but could it really be something else in my PC? My old 460 worked great for about a year before I had to get it RMA'd for artifacting and driver display issues that couldn't be fixed, it just would seem weird if it wasn't the card, but they are saying the PSU is a culprit, so is there merit to that? Would replacing my PSU help me out possibly?

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#2 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
It could be, that card is pretty hungry and needs to drink a lot of juice and if the card can't get the juice it requires then it will get dehydrated and not function properly so yes it could well be the PSU not supplying enough power to your system. See if you can get a loan of a PSU from someone, otherwise you might end up replacing the PSU to find it was the card afterall.
horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts
[QUOTE="JohnF111"]It could be, that card is pretty hungry and needs to drink a lot of juice and if the card can't get the juice it requires then it will get dehydrated and not function properly so yes it could well be the PSU not supplying enough power to your system. See if you can get a loan of a PSU from someone, otherwise you might end up replacing the PSU to find it was the card afterall.

His old 460 worked. So I am sure we can assume his PSU is good enough. Unless it is old then it may be singing on the last verse as well. RMA the card again perhaps?
SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SPYDER0416

[QUOTE="JohnF111"]It could be, that card is pretty hungry and needs to drink a lot of juice and if the card can't get the juice it requires then it will get dehydrated and not function properly so yes it could well be the PSU not supplying enough power to your system. See if you can get a loan of a PSU from someone, otherwise you might end up replacing the PSU to find it was the card afterall.horgen123
His old 460 worked. So I am sure we can assume his PSU is good enough. Unless it is old then it may be singing on the last verse as well. RMA the card again perhaps?

Unfortunately I'm overseas until December so getting the replacement was hard enough, and only because I had some visiting family willing to help. My PSU is 650w and it worked fine, my last card crapped out towards the end but with the artifacting and display issues it was definitely the card, at least that time.

Its really random, they tested it out and played some demanding games on my PC for like 15 minutes and nothing happened, but I play Sleeping Dogs for 5 minutes and it crashes. I'll try to test out another card with a similar amount of power behind it, I don't want to replace my already great 650w if it's definitely the card.

CUDGEdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 CUDGEdave
Member since 2010 • 2597 Posts

How are your CPU temps?

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#6 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts

[QUOTE="JohnF111"]It could be, that card is pretty hungry and needs to drink a lot of juice and if the card can't get the juice it requires then it will get dehydrated and not function properly so yes it could well be the PSU not supplying enough power to your system. See if you can get a loan of a PSU from someone, otherwise you might end up replacing the card to find it was the PSU afterall.horgen123

He asked if it was possible that it was the PSU, I answered, also typo'd my post, meant for PSU and card to be the other way around.

SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SPYDER0416

How are your CPU temps?

CUDGEdave

They can get a bit high, its around 37 when idle, and can get up to 80 when intense. I'm getting a fan as well, but since the crashes occur even when temps are low I know only a fan won't fix things, it will help keep my PC running longer though when I do get the problem fixed.

Also a new development, they say my motherboard might also be the culprit. I'm not sure how, but my motherboard did have an issue that needed to be fixed earlier this year and they say it's probably a bit too old and worn out and replacing it might stop the crashing, my dad had a similar problem with his computer and after getting a new motherboard it stopped crashing on him too.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#9 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16539 Posts

nvidia cards have a known hardware reliability issue what with all the baking and gpus catching fire, etc. Im suprised the 460gtx would be crapping out though, I had one for a while and it worked great. I recommend putting the card into a different computer (maybe a friends computer) and if the same issue arises then its likely the video cards at fault.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#10 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

memtest?