kaktus0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By kaktus0
Member since 2015 • 25 Posts

HI. I have MSI GTX 970 with OC in MSI afterburner (no matter what OC, 100mhz or 10mhz on memory and core clock it's the same situation) and it's turning off randomly. No bluescreen or something like that just turns off (critical KerneL-Power 41 when it's happening). Without OC everything is ok. Temperatures are ok (max 68 celcius degrees). I have no idea what is it.

My specs:

I7 2600K OC 4,3 GHZ

GTX 970MSI

CHIEFTEC 650W

GIGABYTE GA-P67A-UD4-B3

KINGSTON 8GB DDR3 1600MHZ

kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 kitty  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 115430 Posts

Never heard of the psu, could be related to that

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#4  Edited By Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts

You might want to just forgo overclocking TBH.

I had a similar issue with the Asus 970 (albeit the entire computer would turn off), but it turned out that the Northbridge voltage (not (CPU-NB) on my motherboard needed a slight bump for stability. Not sure if that would help you.

kaktus0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 kaktus0

Without Overclock on card it's ok so i think PSU is ok and it's something else.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23832 Posts

Double check all power connections and make sure their secure, also It might be the powersupply. but their could be a possibility you got a lemon GTX 970. I would stress the gpu and see if your computer reacts. Run something like Furmark or MSI Kombustor to stress the gpu to the brink to see if its stable.

kaktus0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 kaktus0

I've been testing really hard with Heaven 4.0 for about 3 hours with +150mhz oc on core and +200 memory - NO PROBLEMS. It's really strange, for example in Battlefield 4 it could restart after 1 hour of playing...

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23832 Posts

look at your cpu then, run prime 95 or intel burn test and see if its stable. It also wouldnt hurt to run memtest to rule out the ram.

Old_Gooseberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#9  Edited By Old_Gooseberry
Member since 2002 • 3958 Posts

if you have another pci-e slot, try to put the video card in that to see if same thing happens.

i would turn off all overclocking until you find out whats going on, you are adding extra possible problems leaving the cpu overclocked while trying to determine if the video card is to blame.

if your power supply isnt to blame maybe the power source is, try plugging into another outlet

maybe even try older drivers. All nvidia drivers from 2015 i've used so far have been bugged to shit for me, im using some from december 2014 till they fix them.

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

It's either CPU Temps or the PSU. I just had to send my PSU in for this same problem.

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 Coseniath
Member since 2004 • 3183 Posts

Chieftec has some decent units that they are better than the average PSUs.

Especially the ones that they are created by CWT.

Which model do you have?

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12 Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

After double checking your not having an odd things like your mother board touching the case or cords not fully plugged. Go straight to updating your mother boards bios, along with your drivers. Then windows. Make sure that you don't have more then a single driver present for a single device. Sometimes they don't get replaced with the new one or deleted when an update happens and this can cause odd issues that wouldn't normally happen.

After that start doing a systems stability check, like others have stated. From there you can get a better idea of how your system is doing, and possibly isolate the issue, though to me it sounds your power supply is just not holding up to snuff. Shit happens, and you might have just got bad luck with a unit that's faulty in one way or another.

Hell I got a super nice EVGA power supply that shipped to me not being able to do anything but spin the fans for a second. But yet posted on a multimeter like it ran fine. Sometimes hardware just fails or isn't of the quality it should be If that's the case send it back and demand a better one, or your money back and just get a corsair or EVGA or other brand with a decent warranty for their PSU's, as two years is a little low IMO when the competition offers 8 yrs.

How hots the case get? Where do you keep it\is it well ventilated and clean? I'm just wondering if it's getting enough air to stop it from shutting down lanes due to high temps in order to save itself from burning out and possibly the rest of the system.

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

what model is that chieftec PSU? Chietec has some ok PSU's but it also has alot of s****y ones and from what you described so far all point out your PSU is barely able to handle your system and hence why it stuts gtx 970 when you overclock