Completely lost on PC gaming and I need some help.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ruemaster534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ruemaster534
Member since 2009 • 44 Posts

This is my current PC Specs right here.

Computer: Gateway FX6800-01e

Processor: Core i7, Intel i7-920/ 2.66 GHz

Quad Core

RAM: 3 GB

Graphic Card: ATI Radeon HD 4850

Windows Vista 64Bit

I hope this is good enough for the PC Specs. I'm trying to get into more PC gaming but I'm lost on certain things, such as ButtletStorm that requires ATI Radeon ATI 4870, and mines is 4850. Does the 70 and 50 have that much of a difference. I now the first digit is how new the model is and the second is how good the quality is, but what about the third and forth digit? The game have some freezes during cutscenes. Sonic Generations also skips which causes game glitches.

And also, what else should I improve on this PC? I just need some advice and tips to help gain some knowledge on computer gaming and should I go towards Nvidia instead of ATI?

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

This is my current PC Specs right here.

Computer: Gateway FX6800-01e

Processor: Core i7, Intel i7-920/ 2.66 GHz

Quad Core

RAM: 3 GB

Graphic Card: ATI Radeon HD 4850

Windows Vista 64Bit

I hope this is good enough for the PC Specs. I'm trying to get into more PC gaming but I'm lost on certain things, such as ButtletStorm that requires ATI Radeon ATI 4870, and mines is 4850. Does the 70 and 50 have that much of a difference. I now the first digit is how new the model is and the second is how good the quality is, but what about the third and forth digit? The game have some freezes during cutscenes. Sonic Generations also skips which causes game glitches.

And also, what else should I improve on this PC? I just need some advice and tips to help gain some knowledge on computer gaming and should I go towards Nvidia instead of ATI?

ruemaster534
You should upgrade your ram, 4 gb will work a lot better for you. You can upgrade your videocard, allthough the 4850 isn't all that bad, there isn't much difference between the 4870 and 4850 by the way This is a list of all the gpu's out there (well at least the most common ones). The list goes from best to worst. And the nvidia cards and ati cards are compared to each other at the same time.  Choosing nvidia and ati , there are the following differences, nvidia supports physx and some games use them , allthough not much (about 3 percent of all games) and games do look better because of it. amd/ati doesn't have physx but it's cheaper, so you get more gpu power for the same price, If you use two cards in crossfire (it's called sli for nvida) then you have better performance than with nvidia cards. Amd cards also use less power and are running cooler. I have an amd card. As for your pc, i would make sure turbo boost is enabled on your processor, and i would upgrade the ram to at least 4 gb. I would upgrade your videocard to a hd 6870 or the gtx 560 (not the gtx 560ti, that's a different card) (depends on your budget) but those card are the best bang for the buck. You need a 550 W power supply
ruemaster534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ruemaster534

Great answer and very informative! Thank you very much, does RAM factor into the smovement in games?

jdt532

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 jdt532
Member since 2003 • 4236 Posts

Wow that's the exact same PC I have. I added an extra 8GB of RAM for a total of 11GB I also have a new 1TB HDD now cause the original 750GB Seagate HDD failed and I'm using Windows 7 now. Now the original GPU is failing so I'll be buying a new GPU soon, I'm thinking about getting the ATI Radeon HD 6850.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

You could get another 4850 for cheap on ebay if you want to save dosh, your pc is aite btw.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ATI-Radeon-HD-4850-512MB-PCIe-Dual-DVI-Video-Card-w-TV-Out-OEM-NEW-/190614878991?pt=PCC_Video_TV_Cards&hash=item2c61883b0f#ht_800wt_1396

50$? I'd get one if I were you.

jtcraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 jtcraft
Member since 2005 • 2770 Posts

Great answer and very informative! Thank you very much, does RAM factor into the smovement in games?

ruemaster534
Not having enough RAM will hinder performance. But having a lot of RAM won't increase performance either. 4GB is pretty much the standard amount for a gaming PC. More people are picking up 8GB because RAM is fairly cheap (or at least it was the last time I checked) but it won't increase performance in most cases. If you upgrade your RAM you will want DDR3 and because the Core i7 920 supports triple channel I would recommend getting a 6GB DDR3 kit (it will have three 2GB sticks of RAM).
metacritical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 metacritical
Member since 2008 • 2537 Posts
exactly the older i7s are triple channel, so ignore the get 4GB,8GB etc recommendations; you'll need a tri-channel kit.
commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 commander

ruemaster534
you're welcome, ram doesn't improve your games or it is in the case you use higher speed ram (the difference is not that big), since you have an older i7, i suggest you use standard ddr3 ram @ 1333 mhz As for the amount of ram, if you have too much it won't improve nothing but if you haven't got enough ram your games will use your harddisk for the amount of ram you lack to run the application/game. This result's in slow load times, stuttering, 3gb in your case is just enough , that means if you're plaing games and have some applications running in the background you could run out of ram and have severe slowdowns, that's why i recommend at least 4gb You probably have triple channel ram, so look at your motherboard and look how many ram slots are in there. If it's triple channel you would have three groups of ram slots. Then get a triple channel kit like 3x 2 gb= 6gb . If you just add another stick then it won't run in triple channel and this is slower (so not recommended) If your ram now is 3x 1gb, so three 1gb sticks you just have to add another three sticks of 1gb. If your ram isn't spreaded over all the slots , buy a complete new kit and sell your old ram. If your ram is double channel you will have two groups of ram slots, then buy a dual channel kit like 2x2gb and sell your old ram. If it's a 3gb stick in one slot you can always buy another 3gb stick but it's always better to buy kits. So as you can see , your computer will work best if your ram is spreaded out equally over the channel. So for example in dual channel 2x 3gb sticks or in triple channel 3 x 2 gb sticks. You can see how much ram you're using by pressing ctr alt del while gaming and then choosing task manager. Go to the performance tab and you will see how much ram you're using.
dovberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#9 dovberg
Member since 2009 • 3348 Posts

I think the main thing there is just the GPU is just barely under what some games are asking for so I'd say wait for the 7xxx series amd cards are out at least because the games you mentioned I run flawlessly with a significantly weaker cpu and gpu that is of the current gen (Nvidia GTX 550 ti) but is of a lower than the 6850. So really even if you got something on the low scal of things you would have a nice upgrade.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

if your 3GB is a 2GB and a 1GB keep the 2GB and buy 2 more 2GB sticks for 6GB.

You'd also do well witha new graphics card.

ruemaster534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ruemaster534

Thank You everyone! I read through all of your suggestions and messing around with this computer might be a little costy. My other computer which is faster I use also, but I thought it was pretty slow because all of my current games run slow on it, but looking at it's specs, the only downfall was the GPU. This other one is pretty good.

The Specs are:

Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.2 GHz

RAM: 13 GB

Windows 7

GPU: ATI Radeon 3000 Grpahics

kaitanuvax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 kaitanuvax
Member since 2007 • 3814 Posts

Core i7 is better than Phenom II X4.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 commander

Thank You everyone! I read through all of your suggestions and messing around with this computer might be a little costy. My other computer which is faster I use also, but I thought it was pretty slow because all of my current games run slow on it, but looking at it's specs, the only downfall was the GPU. This other one is pretty good.

The Specs are:

Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.2 GHz

RAM: 13 GB

Windows 7

GPU: ATI Radeon 3000 Grpahics

ruemaster534
13 gb ram, is it ddr3 ram, maybe you switch some into your other pc Besides that i7-920 is miles ahead of that x4 955 (allthough it's not a bad cpu at all)
gamerns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 gamerns
Member since 2011 • 374 Posts

i7-920 has a tripple channel memory controler, so 3x2GB is ideal for it. For Phenoms it's 2x2 or 2x4 or 4x4GB. I really don't know how you ended up with 13 LOL. Anyway if I were you I would pair up that 4850 with whatever CPU that I can overclock more, I mean Phenom II x4 @ 4GHz has to be better than i7-920 @ 2.66.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 commander

i7-920 has a tripple channel memory controler, so 3x2GB is ideal for it. For Phenoms it's 2x2 or 2x4 or 4x4GB. I really don't know how you ended up with 13 LOL. Anyway if I were you I would pair up that 4850 with whatever CPU that I can overclock more, I mean Phenom II x4 @ 4GHz has to be better than i7-920 @ 2.66.

gamerns
You can overclock that i7-920 too you know