Cold hands while gaming?

• 69 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

sasjebus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 sasjebus
Member since 2005 • 171 Posts

Any of you get's ice cold hands while gaming (mostly the fingers)?

I use standard gloves without fingertip but that isn't very comfortable while gaming, are there like special gaming gloves for this cause I don't like the fact that it is affecting my gaming performance

SuperBeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 SuperBeast
Member since 2002 • 13229 Posts
Sounds like something you need to see your doctor about.
JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 JP_Russell
Member since 2005 • 12893 Posts

I use standard gloves without fingertip but that isn't very comfortable while gaming, are there like special gaming gloves for this cause I don't like the fact that it is affecting my gaming performance

sasjebus

What, is it cold where you live right now and you wear gloves to keep your hands warm (and you use fingertip-less gloves since you have to feel the keys)? If so, don't know what to tell you other than turn the heat up. I similarly get cold feet or hands if it's cold whenever my mind is preoccupied with anything and they're not covered up well like the rest of my body (or sometimes even if they're covered even more). It's happened to me when I was in school, my hands would get cold during the winter and it'd be annoying to have to write.

I think it's just a natural action of the body; anytime you perform a task that keeps your mind preoccupied from thinking about your physical state, your body is automatically triggered by a sort of failsafe in the mind to keep your heat centered toward your vital organs and ignores your extremities, since you yourself are in a mental state where you won't as readily try to protect your vitals from too much cold. That's my theory, anyway, based entirely on logic and not a lick of professional knowledge, of course. :P

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 JP_Russell
Dang, see, now you got me thinking too much and my hands are cold. Thanks a lot!
howlrunner13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 howlrunner13
Member since 2005 • 4408 Posts
That happens to me when I game on the PC for a while. I'll find that my fingers are quite icy. It is cold here though and even as I am typing now it feels like the heat is being sucked right out of them.
pwilletts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 pwilletts
Member since 2006 • 881 Posts
My hands get cold if I'm typing a lot or gaming.
JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 JP_Russell

That happens to me when I game on the PC for a while. I'll find that my fingers are quite icy. It is cold here though and even as I am typing now it feels like the heat is being sucked right out of them. howlrunner13

It literally is, actually. Heat is just a form of energy, and conversely cold is a lack of it. Energy has a tendency to fill any space where there is less of it, just like gas, so your body heat has a tendency to wander to the air if it's colder. On the flipside, if the air is hotter, the heat in the air gravitates toward your body to fill your less energized space. Since our hands are farthest from our source of body heat, they get the least constant flow of it and become robbed of what little heat they have more quickly.

ZaMmAeL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ZaMmAeL
Member since 2005 • 102 Posts

Hi there.

I recommend you to see a doctor. I'm studying medicine, and the first thing that came to my mind when I read the topic was "Raynaud's disease". Of course, as I'm just a student (2nd), I relate everything with diseases. I can't really tell, because I don't know anything else about your "cold hands".

Check if your fingers change of color, and analyze when it happens. Does it happen only when you are gaming? perhaps just in winter?

Sorry if I can't help you,due to the fact that I'm not adoctor yet, and, as you might have already realized, english is not my first language.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Circulation issues. Has to do a lot with ambient room temperature. I find it happens a lot when the room around me is a little too cold. It happens a lot more to me now that it is winter too. Nothing to worry about.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b4bf92fc902e
deactivated-5b4bf92fc902e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5b4bf92fc902e
Member since 2006 • 3052 Posts
I don't get cold hands normally but now that its the winter and my mouse is near the window, so my hands get cold easily.
judog1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#11 judog1
Member since 2005 • 24657 Posts

My keboard acutall gets warm when I type on it, lol

Meu2k7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Meu2k7
Member since 2007 • 11809 Posts

Sounds like something you need to see your doctor about. SuperBeast

No, bad circulation in the hands is somewhat a common occurance.

mudflaps2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 mudflaps2001
Member since 2006 • 109 Posts
Even if you had a constant temperature throughout your entire body, your fingers would probably have a higher percentage of heat loss compared to other parts of your body- they have a ton of surface area compared to their volume.
chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts
eat food with Iron in it. It helps increase blood flow. /thread.
raven_squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#15 raven_squad
Member since 2007 • 78438 Posts
Its completely normal. Well, depending on the temp in your house i suppose. My house is usually around 75 degrees or so, and my finger tips get cold while gaming.
lordlors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 lordlors
Member since 2004 • 6128 Posts
My hands and feet get cold when i'm gaming or just using the computer. My hands get sweaty when i'm in an intense part of the game. I live in Philippines where it's always hot even in december.
Hewkii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Hewkii
Member since 2006 • 26339 Posts
my mouse hand gets cold.
RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18 RK-Mara
Member since 2006 • 11489 Posts
I have bad blood circulation. It can be sometimes a problem here in Finland.
BlackAlpha666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 BlackAlpha666
Member since 2005 • 2614 Posts

The hands and feet are one of the biggest body heat wasters. I'm guessing when you are gaming without concentrating much or without having any other intense feelings, your body just cools down more then usual because you aren't really doing anything. And if you are in a cool room you might get cold feet or hands faster.

Turn the heat up in your room and try to keep your whole body warm. Put on a sweater or something and try to keep your feet warm. Then your hands should get warmer after that. Obviously you could try something that directly makes your hands warmer, like gloves... Or this:

http://www.mobilitysite.com/2006/01/do_you_have_cold_hands_while_g.php

crazymonkey092

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 crazymonkey092
Member since 2005 • 974 Posts

My hands get cold when im just sitting at my computer and its cold in the house(in the winter its usually around 68f), but when I start playing i start warming up. I use lower sensitivity so I guess all the moving my mouse keeps me warm.

A tip though to help out is rub your hands and cuff em and blow some hot air on them. Do it as many times as you need until they feel warm. ( I wish after reading that it doesnt sound dirty in some way, but it does, damn dirty mind) =)

lordlors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 lordlors
Member since 2004 • 6128 Posts

The hands and feet are one of the biggest body heat wasters. I'm guessing when you are gaming without concentrating much or without having any other intense feelings, your body just cools down more then usual because you aren't really doing anything. And if you are in a cool room you might get cold feet or hands faster.

Turn the heat up in your room and try to keep your whole body warm. Put on a sweater or something and try to keep your feet warm. Then your hands should get warmer after that. Obviously you could try something that directly makes your hands warmer, like gloves... Or this:

BlackAlpha666

why is it every time i feel intense in playing a game i get cold and sweaty hands and feet?

fatzebra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 fatzebra
Member since 2005 • 1470 Posts
When mastering my debating skills my feet and other hand get cold sometimes. Just thought you all should know.
BlackAlpha666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 BlackAlpha666
Member since 2005 • 2614 Posts
[QUOTE="BlackAlpha666"]

lordlors

why is it every time i feel intense in playing a game i get cold and sweaty hands and feet?

It depends on how long it lasts so I'm guessing because it only lasts for a very short period, it doesn't have much effect on your body heat. But this plays a very small role in keeping you warm so it might not do anything at all.

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 JP_Russell
[QUOTE="lordlors"][QUOTE="BlackAlpha666"]

BlackAlpha666

It depends on how long it lasts so I'm guessing because it only lasts for a very short period, it doesn't have much effect on your body heat. But this plays a very small role in keeping you warm so it might not do anything at all.

I still say the opposite. When you game, your mind can't concentrate on your body nearly as much, so your body doesn't circulate blood as well. For instance, even if I just type here on the forums for many minutes while thinking deeply into what I want to say, my hands and feet get cold with it getting colder at this time of year. Once I stop and just start reading others' posts again, they warm up. The same thing happens when I game, when I would be doing work at school, anything where I was sitting still and working my mind a lot, my hands would get colder, but once I finish, even if I'm still sitting in place, my extremities warm up again.

blackngold29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 blackngold29
Member since 2004 • 14137 Posts
There's a guy I know who has circulation problems so he put a little heater right under his desk where is mouse is. I guess it works. Though you could probably just put a little space heater on your desk, if your desk it big enough.
albertafox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26 albertafox
Member since 2004 • 165 Posts

Inactivity of your core. Games can/will play tricks with your instinct to fight or flight(blood pools into your core leaving your legs and arms, or rush of blood to legs and arms to make you fight stronger), hunger(eating less health foods can cause highs and lows in energy, which keeps you warm).

There can be medical health reasons also.

But I imagine if you do not feel faint, dizzy, sick to the stomach.... then it is

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts
[QUOTE="BlackAlpha666"][QUOTE="lordlors"][QUOTE="BlackAlpha666"]

JP_Russell

I still say the opposite. When you game, your mind can't concentrate on your body nearly as much, so your body doesn't circulate blood as well. For instance, even if I just type here on the forums for many minutes while thinking deeply into what I want to say, my hands and feet get cold with it getting colder at this time of year. Once I stop and just start reading others' posts again, they warm up. The same thing happens when I game, when I would be doing work at school, anything where I was sitting still and working my mind a lot, my hands would get colder, but once I finish, even if I'm still sitting in place, my extremities warm up again.

Circulation is controlled unconsciously by the nervous system. Deep thought cant decrease its capability. The conscious mind is totally separate.Only emotions that may arise from deep thought or some external stimulicould affect breathing patterns, heartbeatand circulation.

Anyways, I think the tc just needs to workout a little. Superset push ups and squats for 1 & 1/2 min once a day. Circulation will improve and you'll feel better too.

rascoqaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 rascoqaz
Member since 2005 • 6606 Posts
Your hands only get cold when gaming? That's kinda weird.
Hitsuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Hitsuke
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

I get the same thing too. What also happens to me when i game, which gets quite annoying, is my neck will tense and I will start to shiver uncontrollably at random intervals. This tends to happen more during the winter, but it still happens during the summer where the temp can reach up to 100 plus degrees. I would really like to know how I can stop this cause it really messes with my gaming, especially FPS gaming, when I get a random shiver tick and miss my target or something.

Frenzyd109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#30 Frenzyd109
Member since 2007 • 2276 Posts

Hi there.

I recommend you to see a doctor. I'm studying medicine, and the first thing that came to my mind when I read the topic was "Raynaud's disease". Of course, as I'm just a student (2nd), I relate everything with diseases. I can't really tell, because I don't know anything else about your "cold hands".

Check if your fingers change of color, and analyze when it happens. Does it happen only when you are gaming? perhaps just in winter?

Sorry if I can't help you,due to the fact that I'm not adoctor yet, and, as you might have already realized, english is not my first language.

ZaMmAeL
I had the same problem as the OP but all the time, and i got it checked out... I have reynauds
pzoranni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 pzoranni
Member since 2009 • 103 Posts

damnit that happened far too often minutes before counterstrike matches.. caused my hands to tremble

Snorbly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Snorbly
Member since 2009 • 29 Posts

Get up from the keyboard and stretch more often.

attirex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 attirex
Member since 2007 • 2465 Posts
When mastering my debating skills my feet and other hand get cold sometimes. Just thought you all should know.fatzebra
So you're a masterdebater? (sorry, couldn't resist)
nooblet69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#34 nooblet69
Member since 2004 • 5162 Posts

Maybe you have to adjust the temperature in your house. My hands are rarely cold and usually I want it colder in my house. Then again I live in south florida where it is warm practically every day :P.

spektor_21000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 spektor_21000
Member since 2005 • 409 Posts

Usually happens only in the winter, cuz my room can get pretty cold but once i turn up the heater it's all good.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#36 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

I dont have that issue, but ive heard that can be circulation issues.

blade55555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#37 blade55555
Member since 2005 • 1116 Posts
My hands are cold until I actually start playing. I hate it :( I have to be playing for 10 minutes or so but my hands seem to always be naturally cold.
prehuang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38 prehuang
Member since 2008 • 160 Posts

sasjebus

I have this kind of problem too...But I don't have a glove...

Dante2710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#39 Dante2710
Member since 2005 • 63164 Posts
Consider yourself lucky, i got very sweaty hands, even if im not doing anything, my hands never stop sweating for some unknown reason.
arto1223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#40 arto1223
Member since 2005 • 4412 Posts

Lol, this does happen to me. It also happens when I'm not gaming, but mostly when I am. I sure it happens more than I notice. But they do get really... really cold.

Avatar image for BloodSeeker1337
BloodSeeker1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 BloodSeeker1337
Member since 2009 • 1278 Posts
Use Silicon Gloves
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#42 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58398 Posts

Sounds like something you need to see your doctor about. SuperBeast

no, its just a sign of less than ideal circulation due to being sedentary.

When you sit down to video games, you dont really do much except flick your wrist and twitch you fingers. As a result, your heart slows down and your fingers get chilly.

Some people have a condition where they have poor circulation; its not a dire condition, but if you have it it means your extremities get colder faster.

Hoon252

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Hoon252
Member since 2005 • 48 Posts

Cold hands = warm heart

Pvt_r3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Pvt_r3d
Member since 2006 • 7901 Posts
It happens to me alot when I'm on my PC. sometimes it gets to the point where my fingers don't want to move and I have to force it down.
jarjar1888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 jarjar1888
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

if you rest your arms on your legs while you're holding your controller it can compress arteries and slow circulation to the hands. also if you're bending your wrist back to hold your mouse or controller this can also compress arteries and slow circulation

rzvadrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 rzvadrian
Member since 2005 • 80 Posts

only the mouse hand...

James00715

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 James00715
Member since 2003 • 2484 Posts

I do get colder hands inside during the winter, but it's only because I keep the heat low to save money. Also one suggestion I have is to make sure your arms are parallel with the ground or slightly downward. If you are reaching upward to type, circulation will be worse. Your hands get less bloodflow which means less heat.

yellosnolvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#48 yellosnolvr
Member since 2005 • 19302 Posts
do pushups or something like that when your game is loading. the increased bloodflow should make your hands a little warmer. also, increased bloodflow = better reactions most of the time
JN_Fenrir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 JN_Fenrir
Member since 2004 • 1551 Posts

Play some good old-fashioned twitch FPSs. You'll be sweating it up in no time. :D

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#50 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
I hate being warm when playing games, i'd prefer cold hands to being even slightly too hot, guess that's why my consoles never break..