Cannot enable progressive scanning on my HDTV (with a PS2)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for FabulousGamer90
FabulousGamer90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 0

#1 FabulousGamer90
Member since 2007 • 245 Posts

Hi peeps. I am having trouble getting my PS2 to output progressive scanning. I have a 1080p Hisense TV, and my PS2 is connected to it via component cables (these, to be precise) obviously picture quality is pretty awful without progressive scanning. But whenever I select it in-game (I have tried it in Shadow of Colossus, Burnout Revenge and Mortal Kombat Armageddon) my screen always goes blue for a few seconds with a message saying "no input detected" or something of the sort... Before going back to normal resolution.

Is it possible my TV simply doesn't support 480p? If so that's pretty stupid. Really hope I can fix this somehow.. Any bright ideas?

Sntg_XL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 Sntg_XL
Member since 2008 • 238 Posts

Do you have the manual for the tv? That should say if it has 480p support.

However, I believe the problem lies with the cables you purchased. I haven't heard of that brand.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

I've never heard of a 1080p TV that didn't support 480p, but consult your manual to be sure.

That particular cable is a combination componet, composite and s-video. At the risk of asking an obvious question, have you made sure you are connected to your TV using the component (Red, Blue, Green) video connection and not the composite (Yellow) or S-Video (Black? Has four pins and one plastic block). If you are connected using S-Video or composite that would explain the behavior you are seeing.

-Byshop

Alter_Echo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Alter_Echo
Member since 2003 • 10724 Posts

A ton of PS2 games do not support progressive scan AT ALL. Several others require holding triangle + X at the system logo screen before it will work regardless of it if has in game options or not.

You can google search for the Wiki list of games that support the various options and what is required to get it working.

List of supported/unsupported games

Linked.

After you enable 480p on any certain game using the triangle + X method you should never have to do it again with any other game requiring such a procedure. On my PS2 nothing would run in Progressive even if it had in game options until i had done this at least once on my system.

TJamesA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 TJamesA
Member since 2007 • 570 Posts

I always thought ps2 games looked best on a 480p Trinitron CRT, the colors were always so much more saturated than using it on my hdtv.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Byshop  Moderator

I always thought ps2 games looked best on a 480p Trinitron CRT, the colors were always so much more saturated than using it on my hdtv.

TJamesA

How is that in any way helpful to the OP?

-Byshop

FabulousGamer90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 FabulousGamer90

Sorry for a very late reply!

Sntg_XL, I actually don't have a manual for my TV anymore. Or at least I don't know where it is! It is the Hisense HSL4229HDIP

Byshop, I am definitely using the composite cables. Though I have tried with the other cables too (I know, stupid idea but I ran out of other things to try) and can't get progressive scan nomatter what I do.

Alter_Echo, thanks for that but I am definitely trying on PS2 games that support it (since I am actually selecting the Progressive Scan option on games that have the option available in the menus...) I have also done the Triangle+X thing (with Burnout Revenge) and I had the same result.

bigM10231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#8 bigM10231
Member since 2008 • 11240 Posts

Sorry for a very late reply!

Sntg_XL, I actually don't have a manual for my TV anymore. Or at least I don't know where it is! It is the Hisense HSL4229HDIP

Byshop, I am definitely using the composite cables. Though I have tried with the other cables too (I know, stupid idea but I ran out of other things to try) and can't get progressive scan nomatter what I do.

Alter_Echo, thanks for that but I am definitely trying on PS2 games that support it (since I am actually selecting the Progressive Scan option on games that have the option available in the menus...) I have also done the Triangle+X thing (with Burnout Revenge) and I had the same result.

FabulousGamer90
components are what you need for progressive scan
FabulousGamer90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 FabulousGamer90

Damn it, sorry, I was tired when I wrote that. I am definitely connected via component cables. I just got confused in that post.

FabulousGamer90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 FabulousGamer90

Bump...

I could really use some more help guys :(

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Byshop  Moderator

Manuals for almost anything can be found online by searching. Here is the manual for your TV:

http://www.hisense.com.au/phpThumb/media/productrange/2/9/117/manual/HSL4229HDIP.PDF

That being said, I looked through it and did not find anything to indicate why your TV might not be working. Both component video inputs support 480p/60hz which is what the ps3 should be outputting component when you turn on progressive scan. Beyond trying both component inputs on your set and trying another set just to test the cables if you have one available I don't have any further suggestions. The likely culprit is the video cable, but it's impossible to say for sure without testing it out on another tv and with another PS2.

-Byshop

FabulousGamer90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 FabulousGamer90

Thanks Byshop, you've been helpful. Seems likely it could be the cable, which is a big shame because the resolution looks like ass without progressive scan. :( At least I can play most of my games on the PCSX2 emulator and have them in a higher resolution that way.