Cannot decide between Sins of a Solar Empire and World in Conflict

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DukeofAlba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 DukeofAlba
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
I have decided to buy a new strategy game, but I cannot decide between Sins of a Solar Empire and World in Conflict. I have read the reviews for both and played the demos for both, and they both seem good. Which would you recommend?
Jade_Monkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#2 Jade_Monkey
Member since 2004 • 4830 Posts

I have decided to buy a new strategy game, but I cannot decide between Sins of a Solar Empire and World in Conflict. I have read the reviews for both and played the demos for both, and they both seem good. Which would you recommend?DukeofAlba

I enjoyed World in Conflict more because of the story but either way you will be getting a good game. I would say get World in Conflict if you like offline and Sins if you like Online. WIC has good online but Sins has pretty much non existent offline.

Swiftstrike5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#3 Swiftstrike5
Member since 2005 • 6950 Posts

WiC has an amazing singleplayer and a decent multiplayer. The community is kinda competitive and are usually ****oles to new players.

Sins of a Solar Empire is ok. It's a unique game, but I never played a multiplayer match. I don't really have that kinda time to waste on a game. You also HAVE to resume a saved multiplayer game with the same people... kinda lame. Very good game though. Battles are a lot of fun to watch, but so is calling in a tactical nuke and watching the cities in WiC get blasted away.

thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts

Get both.

Deadly_Fatalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Deadly_Fatalis
Member since 2006 • 1756 Posts
Sins is a very interesting game. Its definitely not a quick, pick up and play type of game. There is quite a lot to learn and then matches can easily take a couple of hours. If your into that thing then I highly recommend sins of a solar empire.
Creative

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 Creative
Member since 2002 • 2522 Posts

As far as I remember Sins has very watered down story, it's more of an old-school sandbox game with some text (to complensate for story). It sure has a lot of things, but no story to keep you interested. Pick the size of galaxy, pick speed, race . . . etc. Play for 5 hours, end up winning, get nothing for it but the satisfaction of gameplay.

WoC is complete opposite, it's very linear story driven RTS with little depth to it. Huge explosions, impressive graphics with limited MP.

BlueBirdTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 BlueBirdTS
Member since 2005 • 6403 Posts

They are two completely different games. WiC is a fast-paced, tactical RTS, while as Sins is a sort of epic-in-scope RTS/4X hybrid (really more of an RTS though). I say get Sins along with the Entrenchment microexpansion, it's a fantastic game if you don't mind the slower pace (and if you do, there are settings you can modify to make the game play out faster).

TA127

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 TA127
Member since 2007 • 774 Posts

I personally hated SoSE and loved WiC.

Avatar image for ColdfireTrilogy
ColdfireTrilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ColdfireTrilogy
Member since 2005 • 4911 Posts
Sins is deep and strategic, if you love micromanaging an entire army in multiple solar systems that game has it beat in RTS glory, and its AWESOME. If you like a more action oriented RTS go with WIC, the online is a blast as well. Just pick depending on your play style.
Crimsader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Crimsader
Member since 2008 • 11672 Posts

Well they both suck, regarding I'm a RTS gamer. I don't want to comercialize other games, so I'd say Sins of a Solar Empire.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts

I prefer WiC simply because I like my RTSs to have great stories. WiC is very much a story driven game, and the multiplayer is quick, dirty, fun, and cool. Its also fairly innovative with no resource collection and whatnot.

Sins is also a great game, but has zero story. Games can also be long, which is good, and there is a huge amount of depth to the gameplay. I havent tried to play it online.

I say WiC, but truthfully you cannot chose wrong

jwsoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 jwsoul
Member since 2005 • 5467 Posts

I did not really enjoy either! DOW had me by the balls and still dose especially DOW2

WIC never could see the appeal a bit overhyped to be honest.

Try SINs its decent and different.

Uncle_Uzi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 Uncle_Uzi
Member since 2007 • 1371 Posts

As far as I remember Sins has very watered down story, it's more of an old-school sandbox game with some text (to complensate for story). It sure has a lot of things, but no story to keep you interested. Pick the size of galaxy, pick speed, race . . . etc. Play for 5 hours, end up winning, get nothing for it but the satisfaction of gameplay.

WoC is complete opposite, it's very linear story driven RTS with little depth to it. Huge explosions, impressive graphics with limited MP.

Creative

WiC has limited MP? Have you ever spent more than 5 minutes with it? I got the game last year and I'm still playing it online on a daily basis. It has excellent balance and fun, varied gameplay depending on the role you choose. It's an extremely unique real-time tactics game that is unlike anything you'll ever play.

DukeofAlba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DukeofAlba
So Sins has no camapign at all right? Does WiC have a skirmish type mode where you can create your battle?
sub-raid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 sub-raid
Member since 2006 • 1613 Posts
neither
Avatar image for deactivated-60678a6f9e4d4
deactivated-60678a6f9e4d4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#16 deactivated-60678a6f9e4d4
Member since 2007 • 10077 Posts

Sins is a hundred times deeper than WiC.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#17 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

I think that Sins will last you a lot longer.

clembo1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 clembo1990
Member since 2005 • 9976 Posts
Sins is better imo.
SamiRDuran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 SamiRDuran
Member since 2005 • 2758 Posts

Sins is a hundred times deeper than WiC.

bangell99

and WIC is hundred times more fun :D I would pick WiC as it has excellent single player and great multiplayer.

Brendissimo35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 1

#20 Brendissimo35
Member since 2005 • 1934 Posts

Sins, without question. It's a deep strategy experience with beautiful visuals and massive battles in space, whereas World in Conflict is a dumbed down "get to the action" game that has only the most basic vestiges of an RTS remaining.

J0PSTER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 J0PSTER
I'd say Wic but I'm really biased. I happen to love it. There is a great, deep story in it which does get quite emotional at times. There's also a very solid and fun mp with clan support and all the like. The developers (Massive entertainment) are great people. They're still bringing more content to players. The next patch is supposed to bring 4 extra maps with it! Now that is awesome! Wic is easy learn but hard to master. You could say that it's a relatively simple game. It's kind of like CS of rts games. Learning how to play is easy and pubbing is all good but when you get into clan games and such it gets really competitive and the amount of skill needed to win increases rapidly. Also now you could get Wic complete edition with like 30 bucks. That's a great deal. The new content of it's mini expansion (or add-in as some call) is no biggie but it does add the Soviet perspective to the story and brings you a higher difficulty setting. So I say Wic and so will you after you watch this video! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmtw7mhbkRQ&
arijit_2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#22 arijit_2404
Member since 2006 • 1558 Posts
I play RTS games but I have never played any Space based game before Sins. Having played both WiC and Sins - I would say if you are looking for deeper strategy then definitely go for Sins. WiC is lame and spoon-feeding strategy game. WiC is fun only if you want a game with ready made resources and you just want to deploy your army and kill enemies.
Seankieran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#23 Seankieran
Member since 2007 • 30 Posts

Get both.

thusaha

I agree as long as you have enough money to buy both.

redbaron3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 redbaron3
Member since 2004 • 984 Posts
Sins lasted me longer... I won a copy of WiC at a lan and sold it soon after, Sins on the other hand i bought day one, and still play it sometimes!
Baselerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#25 Baselerd
Member since 2003 • 5104 Posts

I have both and I would say Sins of a Solar Empire is my choice.

DukeofAlba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 DukeofAlba
Thanks for the information. So what is the replayability of each? How long does the WiC campaign last you?
BlueBirdTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 BlueBirdTS

Thanks for the information. So what is the replayability of each? How long does the WiC campaign last you?DukeofAlba

WiC has a fairly shot campaign, but if you play multiplayer it could last you quite a long time.

Sins on the other hand does not have a campaign, but the AI is fairly good and you could definitely spend a long time with it, especially if you decide to head online. I would base your decision on what kind of gameplay you prefer. I'm pretty sure both games have demos, so download and try them both!

DukeofAlba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 DukeofAlba
Ok, one last question. Is the Entrenchment expansion for Sins worth getting?
BlueBirdTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 BlueBirdTS

Ok, one last question. Is the Entrenchment expansion for Sins worth getting?DukeofAlba

It is in my opinion since, in addition to having starbases (which are awesome), it includes some graphics and AI updates that make the overall game better. I recommend you get Sins first though, and if you like it go ahead and get Entrenchment.