Cancelling WoW Account

• 83 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Dagamemonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 0

#1 Dagamemonkey
Member since 2005 • 1480 Posts

When I cancel my WoW subscription will my characters still be there if I ever come back? I've decided this fee is too steep for one game. WoW is awesome, but I don't think it's worth it anymore. Thanks for any input.

Skyfaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Skyfaze
Member since 2007 • 219 Posts
Yeah your characters will still be there, mine were there when I quit and came back.
SgtSilock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 SgtSilock
Member since 2005 • 3167 Posts
You will come crawling back..... trust me. They all come crawling back.
Skyfaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Skyfaze

You will come crawling back..... trust me. They all come crawling back.Phantsy16

Yeah I quit once then came back a couple months later..now I just quit a couple weeks ago..but I'm done with the 15 bucks a month membership so I threw my software out just to stop myself from being tempted. Go figure..I'll probably get bashed for saying that..lol

SoberWarock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 SoberWarock
Member since 2005 • 3086 Posts
Thank god you quite taking that drug.
Acemaster27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Acemaster27
Member since 2004 • 4482 Posts

I quit WoW about 9 months ago and now they sent me BC. Like, blizzard sent it to me, in the mail. It came in a nice slick DVD case that just sits there on my table begging me to install it.

gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

I quit WoW about 9 months ago and now they sent me BC. Like, blizzard sent it to me, in the mail. It came in a nice slick DVD case that just sits there on my table begging me to install it.

Acemaster27

Wow, I didn't know they did that. Did you pre-order it from them and then forget about it?

Back on topic, they keep the characters indefinitely. They do have a clause in the ToS though that says they can delete them whenever they want though, but I've yet to hear of a case where someone quit and came back to find their characters deleted.

Anyway, when I quit I never went back. I sold my account to make sure of that (which, imo, everyone should do. There's no reason you shouldn't get a return on all the time you blew into that game).

Funkyhamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Funkyhamster
Member since 2005 • 17366 Posts
Yes, they do... and they better not delete any; they're rolling in enough dough to pay a few pennies to keep some old characters around; plus, that way they can get the people that quit and have withdrawals, and eventually go back.
natebayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#9 natebayne
Member since 2006 • 428 Posts

[QUOTE="Phantsy16"]You will come crawling back..... trust me. They all come crawling back.Skyfaze

Yeah I quit once then came back a couple months later..now I just quit a couple weeks ago..but I'm done with the 15 bucks a month membership so I threw my software out just to stop myself from being tempted. Go figure..I'll probably get bashed for saying that..lol

Well you see... i did the same thing... but then i was told it could be downloaded.... so what did i do... i downloaded it and resumed... but once again ive quit and i can honestly say.. its over.

Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts

Hope you can quit WoW forever, can you?...... but it seems like there's a voice inside you calling you back. evntually you will go back, but I hope not, not in a full swing anyway.

Skyfaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Skyfaze
Never going back, gave my account to my cousin..I'll let him have fun with his addiction..lol
Xelioth1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Xelioth1
Member since 2006 • 286 Posts
You will come crawling back..... trust me. They all come crawling back.Phantsy16
pah! yeah, right. I quit 8 or so months ago and I've never even considered going back. the game is a waste of time after you hit 60 (well, 70 now). why bother going back?
Wilfred_Owen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#13 Wilfred_Owen
Member since 2005 • 20964 Posts
I believe your account and characters get deleted in 3 months time.
Acemaster27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Acemaster27
Member since 2004 • 4482 Posts
[QUOTE="Acemaster27"]

gameguy6700

Wow, I didn't know they did that. Did you pre-order it from them and then forget about it?

Back on topic, they keep the characters indefinitely. They do have a clause in the ToS though that says they can delete them whenever they want though, but I've yet to hear of a case where someone quit and came back to find their characters deleted.

Anyway, when I quit I never went back. I sold my account to make sure of that (which, imo, everyone should do. There's no reason you shouldn't get a return on all the time you blew into that game).

No, i didn't preorder at all. I just found a copy of BC in my mail. No return address, but i am assuming it is from blizzard. Its not my birthday or anything, and none of my friends would by me the game. Also the game had something inside about how i could get 10 days free if i just reactivated my account.

Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts
[QUOTE="gameguy6700"][QUOTE="Acemaster27"]

Acemaster27

I think you got the 10day free trial disc NOT a full BC - after 10day you will have to buy a full game if you want.....thats what I just downloaded the B Crusade 10day trial from the WoW site.

No, i didn't preorder at all. I just found a copy of BC in my mail. No return address, but i am assuming it is from blizzard. Its not my birthday or anything, and none of my friends would by me the game. Also the game had something inside about how i could get 10 days free if i just reactivated my account.

IiIdimsum7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 IiIdimsum7
Member since 2007 • 97 Posts
WoW is a stupid game
Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Johnny_Rock
Member since 2002 • 40314 Posts

I believe your account and characters get deleted in 3 months time.Wilfred_Owen

That's incorrect. Blizzard keeps your characters on their server for one year.

Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Johnny_Rock
Member since 2002 • 40314 Posts

WoW is a stupid gameIiIdimsum7

Translation... " I'm too poor/cheap to pay the monthly fee."

Kalroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Kalroth
Member since 2007 • 58 Posts

This is why you must be careful when you click that "create character" button. When you do that, you instantly bind your soul to your account and your soul lusts for WoW when you go on a WoW Haitus. Remember people, WoW is BoP, (Bind on Pickup), its soul bound to you and you can't DE your WoW account :D

ERoBB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#20 ERoBB
Member since 2005 • 1104 Posts
I just did the same. Went from EQ2 to WOW, then back to EQ2, then back to WOW. Since quitting, my relationships are better, my boxing career is gaining steam, and I'm almost a valuable member of society again...hehe.
ERoBB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ERoBB
Member since 2005 • 1104 Posts
I just did the same. Went from EQ2 to WOW, then back to EQ2, then back to WOW. Since quitting, my relationships are better, my boxing career is gaining steam, and I'm almost a valuable member of society again...hehe.
VirginFingers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#22 VirginFingers
Member since 2005 • 1247 Posts
It saves ur characters. I have 2 wow accounts active, as well as LOTRO. like $45 a month....
imnotapoof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 imnotapoof
Member since 2006 • 393 Posts
I just did the same. Went from EQ2 to WOW, then back to EQ2, then back to WOW. Since quitting, my relationships are better, my boxing career is gaining steam, and I'm almost a valuable member of society again...hehe.ERoBB
Dont double post
Avatar image for the_ChEeSe_mAn2
the_ChEeSe_mAn2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 the_ChEeSe_mAn2
Member since 2003 • 8463 Posts
I found that giving the game CDs away or just getting rid of them in any way possible is the way to make sure you aren't tempted to go back again.
xcryonicx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 xcryonicx
Member since 2006 • 1294 Posts

gah, am I the only one here who quit WoW with a shrug and a "whatever"? Sure it's a fun game, but I never got emotionally attached to it :P

Actually, upon cancellation I remember seeing that crying little peon .gif that asks if you're sure you want to quit, and I did second guess myself...for a minute :P

Dagamemonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Dagamemonkey
Thanks you for the overwhelming replies. Okay, so now I will discontinue my account with Blizzard for now. Oh yeah, I won't come crawling back. I may come back some day, but for the time being I have better things to do. Like play other games rather than feel guilty for not playing WoW all month to make the fee worthwhile.
crimson_axe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#27 crimson_axe
Member since 2004 • 250 Posts

When I cancel my WoW subscription will my characters still be there if I ever come back? I've decided this fee is too steep for one game. WoW is awesome, but I don't think it's worth it anymore. Thanks for any input.

Dagamemonkey

After about a month, you'll notice how much extra time you have on your hands.

MMO's are pretty okay while you're playing them, but it's not until you take that first week or so of not playing that you realise you really don't need it. That's always been my experience anyways.

Pashok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Pashok
Member since 2002 • 38 Posts
They will be back, although once you quit you should sell your account, i made 1100 from wow only 600 profit though. I dont want to come after i sold it...all wow is just a lot of grinding.
gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

I found that giving the game CDs away or just getting rid of them in any way possible is the way to make sure you aren't tempted to go back again.the_ChEeSe_mAn2

Selling off my account did it for me. I got a good bit of money ($600, sold it close to the release of BC so I was in a hurry to get it off my hands. In hindsight I probably could've gotten $800, which is my only regret about quitting) and have no temptation to go back to the game. There's no way I'm going to level all the way from 1-60 again, much less 1-70, and gear grind to get back to where I was.

I would say that would work for everybody, but when I played I knew quite a few people who quit, sold their accounts, only to come back and level all the way back up to 60 again on a new account. I will say though that removing the character away from you and giving away the game discs is the best bet for permantely quitting (if you think there's a chance you would go back. and even if you don't think there is, you should still sell your account. there's no point not getitng money out of it).

Zaeryn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#30 Zaeryn
Member since 2005 • 9070 Posts
ZOMGCANCELLINGWOW. I would never do that, but it's your choice
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58440 Posts

Yes, characters are indefinately "frozen" in blizzard's databanks.

Sometimes a break from WoW is just what the doctor ordered. A few weeks or a few months, its good to take a break cuz when you come back it is that much fun. Honestly, what game doesnt get boring after a few months?

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#32 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12809 Posts

lol

Dagamemonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Dagamemonkey
I love WoW, don't get me wrong. But I won't come crawling back. I may come back someday after carefully considering if $15 of my money is worth access to a monthly game. In fact I just cancelled my account to WoW. No hard feelings to hardcore WoW fans, because WoW is still and always going to be the ultimate MMORPG available. Au revoir, for now.
Jinroh_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Jinroh_basic
Member since 2002 • 6413 Posts
lol.....no it's not the ulti-whatever. why even bother to apologize? it's your money, your time, your choice. come-crawling back.........lol, ain't that rich?
BLaZe462

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 BLaZe462
Member since 2002 • 1432 Posts

[QUOTE="IiIdimsum7"]WoW is a stupid gameJohnny_Rock

Translation... "I'm a dumb fanboy"

slumet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 slumet
Member since 2004 • 57 Posts

I quit WoW 9 months before TBC because the repition in the game - the GRINDING - was awful.

I came back when they annouced all the changes in TBC thinking, wow, Blizz changed everything I got tired of in the game! So much to do endgame now it wont be boring!

Then I played and got to Kara and heroics. LMAO the game is even MORE of a grind pre-TBC! as in MORE TO GRIND...this game is amazing repetitive and boring.

I will never play WoW again.

LoTRO so far has been such a pleasant change I am loving the game.

MadExponent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 MadExponent
Member since 2003 • 11454 Posts

[QUOTE="IiIdimsum7"]WoW is a stupid gameJohnny_Rock

I'm not too poor or too cheap to pay for WoW. It is actually a bad game. Guild Wars is so much better than WoW it is almost amazing to me that people waste their time on WoW. When I meet people who admit to me they play WoW I have to hold myself back from laughing at them.

K9-KY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#38 K9-KY
Member since 2006 • 30 Posts
I quit EQ2 for WoW then started guild wars, and yea they will still be there.
Dagamemonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Dagamemonkey

WoW is a stupid gameIiIdimsum7

Wait, wait, wait. Though I may be cancelling my account, that doesn't mean I don't like it anymore. WoW is the best MMORPG on the market in the world and despite the fee the game totally rocks. I would recommend the game to anyone.

-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#40 -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts
[QUOTE="Johnny_Rock"]

[QUOTE="IiIdimsum7"]WoW is a stupid gameMadExponent

I'm not too poor or too cheap to pay for WoW. It is actually a bad game. Guild Wars is so much better than WoW it is almost amazing to me that people waste their time on WoW. When I meet people who admit to me they play WoW I have to hold myself back from laughing at them.

You're a hater, what more needs to be said. Look at the rating you gave it. Same with the person that quoted Johnny Rock.

-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 -Unreal-

Acemaster27

*sniff sniff*

AhemBS

-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 -Unreal-

[QUOTE="Phantsy16"]You will come crawling back..... trust me. They all come crawling back.Xelioth1
pah! yeah, right. I quit 8 or so months ago and I've never even considered going back. the game is a waste of time after you hit 60 (well, 70 now). why bother going back?

Getting to 60 means you still got much more gameplay out of the game than you get with most games. What game isn't a waste of time? It's not like there's many games that are actually productive in life.

BLaZe462

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 BLaZe462
most games aren't just about grinding mobs for better loot though
BLaZe462

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 BLaZe462
[QUOTE="MadExponent"][QUOTE="Johnny_Rock"]

[QUOTE="IiIdimsum7"]WoW is a stupid game-Unreal-

You're a hater, what more needs to be said. Look at the rating you gave it. Same with the person that quoted Johnny Rock.

Mindless fanboys ftl

ShotGunBunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 ShotGunBunny
Member since 2004 • 2184 Posts

Seriously, all you WoW addicts: just walk out of the house (hard, I know) and go to the nearest video game store.

Now, buy 3 games, each priced 5$, there's a big chance that any of those games is way better then WoW. Trust me.

dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 dnuggs40
Member since 2003 • 10484 Posts

Wow hater abound in this thread. WoW is a great game, with tons of content and things to do. Even if you only get you character and immediatly quit, you still would have had a blast getting there.

BTW, I haven't played WoW in nearly a year, and never plan to again, but I am not blind. The game is great.

-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 -Unreal-

Seriously, all you WoW addicts: just walk out of the house (hard, I know) and go to the nearest video game store.

Now, buy 3 games, each priced 5$, there's a big chance that any of those games is way better then WoW. Trust me.

ShotGunBunny

If that was the case, WoW subscribers would have steadily declined over the past years, but it's very much the opposite. It's funny when you see people make the impression that people that play the game don't go outside. Some people just don't work, or they are students and have a lot of free time, like me, so I find myself bored a lot, so I play a game that I enjoy.

People like you for some strange reason feel the need to call a good game bad. The only reasons for doing this that I know of are not being able to afford the fees, or being annoyed that the game is more successful than their favourite MMO game. But then you get some that deny both of these and that makes me wonder why oh why they do it. If you don't like the game, you don't play it. I don't like racing games, so I don't play them, but try and find a post in my whole history knocking on any racing game.

dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 dnuggs40
Member since 2003 • 10484 Posts
[QUOTE="ShotGunBunny"]

-Unreal-

If that was the case, WoW subscribers would have steadily declined over the past years, but it's very much the opposite. It's funny when you see people make the impression that people that play the game don't go outside. Some people just don't work, or they are students and have a lot of free time, like me, so I find myself bored a lot, so I play a game that I enjoy.

People like you for some strange reason feel the need to call a good game bad. The only reasons for doing this that I know of are not being able to afford the fees, or being annoyed that the game is more successful than their favourite MMO game. But then you get some that deny both of these and that makes me wonder why oh why they do it. If you don't like the game, you don't play it. I don't like racing games, so I don't play them, but try and find a post in my whole history knocking on any racing game.

It's like anything else in life...people LOVE hating on what popular. The people who don't enjoy the game, feel a need to bash it in order to validate their feelings. You don't see people bashing actually bad game on a consistent basis. they bash popular games becuase it either gives them some satisfaction by annoying it's fans, validating their opinions (if I don't like it, it MUST be bad), or just doing it to appear "cool" or go against the trend.

Either way it's pathetic...

-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 -Unreal-

Wow hater abound in this thread. WoW is a great game, with tons of content and things to do. Even if you only get you character and immediatly quit, you still would have had a blast getting there.

BTW, I haven't played WoW in nearly a year, and never plan to again, but I am not blind. The game is great.

dnuggs40

Yeah. You get games you might not even like, but you know it is a well made game, well designed, well produced, well supported and so on. You know the game does what it is supposed to do for the genre it is in, so you know it is a good game. Someone might not like it because of it's fantasy setting, but they like MMO games, so they can admit to how the game is good, but they might just play EVE for example, because it is more to their taste. Those are true gamers, not ones that are glued to the forums waiting for a WoW thread to pounce on so they can post little misty trolling comments.

I should add that last week I actually said to myself, it's summer, I will play less games, cancel my WoW accounts and enjoy the sun. WoW is just a game, it's like any game, it's just very very expansive and in depth, and it constantly grows. You don't have to keep playing, it's your own choice to go and do those instances for more armor or weapons. Sometimes I get really annoyed with the game, and I recognise it's flaws, especially in PvP, but I know how good the game is and how well made it is.