can you play arma 2 with a 360 controller?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for _SOULtoSQUEEZE_
_SOULtoSQUEEZE_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 _SOULtoSQUEEZE_
Member since 2007 • 1495 Posts

*topic*

ive always been a console gamer and all the computer games i play i use my 360 controller, and i wanted to try this game out. how is the game anyways, good?thanks

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

Won't work.

Im sure you could map some of thwe keys to your controller but it still woulden't be enough.

This game uses almost every key on your keyboard.

FlyingArmbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 FlyingArmbar
Member since 2009 • 1545 Posts

I'm interested in the game as well. From what I can tell, it's probably the most realistic shooter that has ever been released. The levels are absolutely massive, realistic bullet trajectories, tons of different weapons, helo's, jets, tanks, APC's, even bikes.

If you want a realistic shooter with huuuge environments, you'll probably enjoy it.

Of course I haven't played it, so don't base your decision on this. This is just my impression of the game so far.

Someone else might want to touch on this, but I suspect that you wouldn't have near enough buttons on a 360 controller to play the game.

Not sure why you would want too though. Mouse/KB is so much better imo. Too each his own I suppose.

_SOULtoSQUEEZE_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 _SOULtoSQUEEZE_

dang, alright well thanks for the responses. i still might give it a go with the mouse/keyboard setup.

c_doody_1999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#6 c_doody_1999
Member since 2005 • 533 Posts

Just so you know arm a isnt a game that your likely to want to pick up if your just short of somthing to do till modern warfare 2 comes out.

its meant to be a tatical war simulation, their are far too many controlls to be mapped to a 360 controller properly. their is a demo you should defo invest time in before you shell out 25 quid on this, cos if you want to play this type of game with a pad im not sure it's what you think it is.

you might end up board/dissapointed/25 quid lighter. cos its all about the planning and patient advance, not action and set pieces

Chris_Hun7er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Chris_Hun7er
Member since 2008 • 1803 Posts

By the by, ArmA 2 isn't your normal FPS. If you run-and-gun, you WILL get raped in the butthole. Sorry, if you already know that. More on topic, I think I met someone on ArmA 2 who said he was playing with an XBOX 360 controller, but I'm not sure.

Erik729

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Erik729
Member since 2006 • 1474 Posts

*topic*

ive always been a console gamer and all the computer games i play i use my 360 controller, and i wanted to try this game out. how is the game anyways, good?thanks

_SOULtoSQUEEZE_

Maybe if you taped three 360 controllers together...

PTMags

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 PTMags
Member since 2006 • 783 Posts

*topic*

_SOULtoSQUEEZE_

I understand that you're a console gamer, but why oh why would you EVER choose a hand held controller over a keyboard and mouse for a first person shooter? That's like having to walk with crutches all your life and finally getting surgery to be able to walk on your own but saying "nah I prefer crutches because it's what i'm used to".

blues35301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 blues35301
Member since 2008 • 2680 Posts

[QUOTE="_SOULtoSQUEEZE_"]

*topic*

PTMags

I understand that you're a console gamer, but why oh why would you EVER choose a hand held controller over a keyboard and mouse for a first person shooter? That's like having to walk with crutches all your life and finally getting surgery to be able to walk on your own but saying "nah I prefer crutches because it's what i'm used to".

So true. Good analogy. TC pick up a slower paced fps game and get used to that kb/m. It is the best thing to control any shooter with. It is my deciding factor on getting multiplat shooters for pc. The better graphics dont hurt either haha
Dark_prince123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 Dark_prince123
Member since 2008 • 1149 Posts
You can use Xpadder but I think Mouse + Keyboard are best controllers for FPS
Murd3r3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Murd3r3r
Member since 2007 • 43 Posts

apart from controls , is this game really realistic and by that , is this " REALISTIC " thing means so hard or not ?

is there any review of this game ? I didn't see any in this site ... thanx

EndersAres

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 EndersAres
Member since 2005 • 5711 Posts

Yes you can. The game has built in 360 support as the game is going to console one of these days. Just go to controls and find the controller tab. Make sure your 360 controller is enabled and click on the 360 configuration and enable it and it will let you play with a pre-made 360 set. You can modify these to your likings if you don't dig the controls.

Krayzie_3334

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Krayzie_3334
Member since 2006 • 1303 Posts

ArmA II fully Supports the 360Controller (and many others), But honestly why? not only its it not accurate enough, but you Lose about half of the functions in the game so you'll end up having to play with a keyboard next to you...

I have ArmA II and I use a 360 Controller and yes ArmA already has support for it in-game but I only use it for Aircraft's, Only! because I no longer have a joystick nor plan to get one any time soon.:P

-

So, to answer you TC "can you play arma 2 with a 360 controller?" Yes, yes you can. It works great with Aircraft's, but if you use it for Infantry you will only be gimping yourself Highly in the process.

_SOULtoSQUEEZE_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 _SOULtoSQUEEZE_
[QUOTE="Erik729"]

*topic*

Maybe if you taped three 360 controllers together...

hahahaha
_SOULtoSQUEEZE_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 _SOULtoSQUEEZE_
[QUOTE="PTMags"]

*topic*

i know that the keyboard/moust setup is way more precise but considering ive never played an fps with a keyboard and mouse before, i'd still be better with a controller. i'd have to have a little practice with the keyboard/mouse setup before i was even a little decent. so i pretty much couldnt walk at all without my crutches lol.
RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19 RK-Mara
Member since 2006 • 11489 Posts
If you are used to playing console shooters, be ready for a completely different kind of shooter. It won't be what you are used to.
_SOULtoSQUEEZE_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 _SOULtoSQUEEZE_
Um..How do you need practice with a keyboard and mouse.. its like saying its hard to use a Ak a Child could use it and they often do...Shadowhawk000
yeah i can use a keyboard and mouse just fine, but im not used to moving around using w a s d to move around in fps. dont be a smarta*s
Savalric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Savalric
Member since 2013 • 33 Posts
Take it from me, I've played with both. I definitely prefer an xbox controller over a keyboard and mouse when playing FPS/RPG or anything where you control a person directly. The only reason I use my keyboard/mouse is for Total War: Shogun 2. Otherwise, I plug in a controller. To be honest, I find it incredibly difficult to compare it the two as the controller as so many wonderful qualities over the kb/m and vice versa. The main bonus is the number of keys, but it's not anywhere near as intuitive as a controller (unless you've spent your whole life playing it, then I retract my statement.) The controller just feels better, plus, I tend to play most games on my TV and sitting on my couch/bed. Tbh, that factor alone is the reason why I will always choose the controller just because it's like holding your own pen*s vs holding someone else's: it's extremely uncomfortable and awkward (in more ways than one).
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

that would probably be the worst idea ever. 

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Take it from me, I've played with both. I definitely prefer an xbox controller over a keyboard and mouse when playing FPS/RPG or anything where you control a person directly. The only reason I use my keyboard/mouse is for Total War: Shogun 2. Otherwise, I plug in a controller. To be honest, I find it incredibly difficult to compare it the two as the controller as so many wonderful qualities over the kb/m and vice versa. The main bonus is the number of keys, but it's not anywhere near as intuitive as a controller (unless you've spent your whole life playing it, then I retract my statement.) The controller just feels better, plus, I tend to play most games on my TV and sitting on my couch/bed. Tbh, that factor alone is the reason why I will always choose the controller just because it's like holding your own pen*s vs holding someone else's: it's extremely uncomfortable and awkward (in more ways than one).Savalric

multiplayer FPS on PC with a controller will not work out well

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#26 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Yes you can, but it's going to be very clumsy. You'll have to remap all of the controls yourself and still use a keyboard or a mouse for input. 

You're really better off just using a keyboard/mouse for the entire game.

kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27 kitty  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 115429 Posts
who bumped this 4 year old topic? :P
Savalric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Savalric
Member since 2013 • 33 Posts
Me, lol, didn't notice the dates when I did it.
the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#29 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

who bumped this 4 year old topic? :P2ndWonder

The level 3 troll with 11 posts, who's trying to tell people that a controller is factually better for everything but strategy games. Obviously.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11797 Posts

You could but no way you'd be able to use all the controls

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#31 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

Yes you can, but in order to perform simple actions like change rate of fire or change FLIR mode you would need more buttons. Thankfully though the game has very extensive control customisation options which once you have run out of buttons to bind, it will allow you to bind a combination of buttons such as Dpad Up + X + Right Trigger + A so you can still reload without having to go through all that effort of pressing R on your keyboard.

Avatar image for The_Gaming_Baby
The_Gaming_Baby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 117

User Lists: 52

#32 The_Gaming_Baby
Member since 2010 • 6425 Posts

I highly doubt so. The game uses so many keys on the keyboard

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

Dat necro

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#34 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts

*topic*

_SOULtoSQUEEZE_
Yes, the controller is supported natively, and I tried it, but as I recall you will have to also use a keyboard to do the more complex squad stuff. I could be wrong... but you can definately do shooty shoot with the Xbox controller.