Can you justify upgrading your pc anymore?

• 90 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5df236af85f29
deactivated-5df236af85f29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5df236af85f29
Member since 2011 • 481 Posts
Personally i cant.i mean i can pretty much max any console ports i play nowadays.it seems so useless to even bother with upgrading.why would i upgrade if the tech dont push the limit?so,do you guys justify your upgrading?
Masculus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Masculus
Member since 2009 • 2878 Posts

I can't. Will stay with those specs for a long time. As long as the current state of gaming software is of estagnation.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

I can, and I just did. Some games are meant to be played on PCs, shooters, MMORPGs, MMOFPSes, lots and lots of single-player RPGs.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

I can because many of the games in my library and not multiplats, and I need the hardware for other things besides gaming

LUMIN4RY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 LUMIN4RY
Member since 2011 • 416 Posts

Sure, My PC is my baby! I don't just upgrade it for games.

gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts
With 6000x1080 and some of the more demanding games out there, sure, there's always a reason to upgrade.
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
Of course.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-5df236af85f29

I can because many of the games in my library and not multiplats, and I need the hardware for other things besides gaming

wis3boi
nowadays indie games dont push the hardware anymore.
magnax1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 magnax1
Member since 2007 • 4605 Posts

I've always basically used the same computer until it can't play a game I want to play. I just don't care about graphics. I still play my SNES and N64 sometimes...

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#10 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11792 Posts

Just for gamings sake, its getting harder and harder to.

Optimization thrown out he window, hell a lot of games don't even give options to adjust for Graphics anymore!

A lot of people blame the consoles, which isn't the problem. Thats like Blaming the government for all the outsourcing of jobs.. Thats entirely the greed of the corporations fault there! (but, but, there is no incentive to keep them here, well shouldn't the stability of the economy be enough, or would more money for the deepening pockets outweigh the stability of the economy?... SAD)

The problem is a lot of developers simply are extremely lazy when it comes to developing for pc anymore. It isn't consoles that are the problem.. Its that these devs/publishers make more profit off of consoles, and theirfor use that justification for being lazy with the pc versions, or simply porting over from consoles.

Its the Devs that have the perception of: "well, we don't make near as much off the pc version of the game, so why should we put more into it (including optimization) when we can get a much better return on the console versions". Which the problem isn't the consoles themselves, but the View of these devs/publishers which know they get much better return of profit from the consoles. Greed in another words, too bad so many people here, and elsewhere won't let that get through their thick skulls.

So yeah It is getting harder and harder for me to justify upgrading pc parts, strictly for gaming purposes.

That being said, Indie games are starting to flood the market, and not take hardware that doesn't exist yet to play it decently!

Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#11 Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts
For me personally, definitely. I dont upgrade to latest tech since i dont see point in it anymore but there are games that must be enjoyed on good PC. I spend almost two hours yesterday on Heroes of Might and Magic VI demo on full 1920x1080 rez with all settings on max. Absolutely loved it, since i am huge heroes& magic fan. Not to mention more Starcraft II is on the way and Diablo III will be awesome. On the other hand upgrading to latest and fastest video card, processor is not something i am able to afford anymore but i can certainly do smart upgrades that dont break my hard earned money wallet. I had been gaming on PC and Consoles together since early 1990s to this day. :)
magnax1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 magnax1
Member since 2007 • 4605 Posts

Just for gamings sake, its getting harder and harder to.

Optimization thrown out he window, hell a lot of games don't even give options to adjust for Graphics anymore!

A lot of people blame the consoles, which isn't the problem. Thats like Blaming the government for all the outsourcing of jobs.. Thats entirely the greed of the corporations fault there! (but, but, there is no incentive to keep them here, well shouldn't the stability of the economy be enough, or would more money for the deepening pockets outweigh the stability of the economy?... SAD)

The problem is a lot of developers simply are extremely lazy when it comes to developing for pc anymore. It isn't consoles that are the problem.. Its that these devs/publishers make more profit off of consoles, and theirfor use that justification for being lazy with the pc versions, or simply porting over from consoles.

Its the Devs that have the perception of: "well, we don't make near as much off the pc version of the game, so why should we put more into it (including optimization) when we can get a much better return on the console versions". Which the problem isn't the consoles themselves, but the View of these devs/publishers which know they get much better return of profit from the consoles. Greed in another words, too bad so many people here, and elsewhere won't let that get through their thick skulls.

So yeah It is getting harder and harder for me to justify upgrading pc parts, strictly for gaming purposes.

That being said, Indie games are starting to flood the market, and not take hardware that doesn't exist yet to play it decently!

Lach0121

I don't think that's really exactly right. The PS3 gets the same treatment as PCs, as in nobody builds a whole new version for it, they just port it over from 360. That's how it's basically always been though, the PS2 to Xbox/GC were the same way, PS1 to N64 etc. It's not a PC/consoles thing, it's just having one lead development platform (usually the weaker console) to keep costs down thing. The only difference is that good PC exclusives are getting more and more uncommon, and console exclusives like FF7, Metal gear solid, and Halo aren't getting ported to PC as much, or at least that's how I feel.

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
Not right now, but I have a pretty powerful system as it is. Hopefully when the next console generation comes along there will be another significant tech leap. Although, we may all be too broke by then to afford it.
abuabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 abuabed
Member since 2005 • 6606 Posts
Of course I do, you can never have too much power.
NoAssKicker47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#15 NoAssKicker47
Member since 2004 • 2855 Posts

Yeah, but that's because my 8800GT won't really cut it with the newest games at 1080p. I'm thinking about getting a Gigabyte 560Ti OC 1GB and another 2GBs of RAM, but after that I'm doubtful I'll ever upgrade again.

threeplusfour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 threeplusfour
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
I tend to upgrade about once every 18 months and ill drop in the region of 600 on parts then slam it back through the business lol My brother on the other hand will spend about 800 plus a year on getting the latest processor GFX or RAM and then proceed to run everything on max and whine when the game isnt stressing his PC lol I used to do a lot of video editing and uploading to youtube when the Machinima boom first took off but that was done on a dual core 4GB RAM and i was recording MW2 on High with Fraps it seems that a lot of the time its all the gear no idea when people splash out on a PC. For a lot of gamers a 600 pound i5 configured correctly will do 90 percent of what they require and they wouldnt be able to tell the difference unless they are running an FPS monitor. When you weigh up the fact that now a days you can buy a PS3 or xbox with a load of extras for 170 and you know that for the next few years you wont need to upgrade its easy to grab one of them and slap yourself kid in front of it and its easy gaming. You cant do that when it comes to a PC you need to tweak upgrade almost every 12 months to get a resasonable experince But I think most PC gamers just love being able to open the side and drop the new kit in which i think is justification in its self.
KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
Definitely not. Maybe as soon as I see some graphically demanding games coming out, I'll consider it, but at the moment I find no reason to upgrade nor do I see any reason to upgrade within the near future.
ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

I want to upgrade to the next line of Intel CPUs (Ivy Bridge I think,) get 16GB of DDR3 (because **** you that's why :P ) and get another GTX 570.

I'd love to get 2 more of my monitors for Nvidia surround, but it's really hard to find ones like mine is usuable/working condition. And they take up a ton of deskspace. Dunno if I'd want those or a 3D monitor/projector more.

James00715

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 James00715
Member since 2003 • 2484 Posts

Maybe right now you don't need to upgrade to keep up with consoles because they are using 5+ year old technology. However, new consoles are coming. Maybe not for a few more years, but they will eventually be here. PC gamers will need to upgrade for sure by then.

lil_d_mack_314

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 lil_d_mack_314
Member since 2006 • 13969 Posts

I will be upgrading my gpu in the next week or so, other than that I'm glad PC gaming isn't like "OMG I need to upgrade again within a few months of my last upgrade." Because that's how how I thought it was before switching from xbox :P. I do still have bills to pay, so I'm upgrading one piece at a time, not that everything is a must at this point.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-5df236af85f29
since we are talking about upgrades,whats the point of having 12 gb plus ram?games hardly max anymore than 2gb ram.8gb should be sufficient.nope,8gb is overkill too.4gb is sufficient enough for almost any game.bf3 could change that though
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts
since we are talking about upgrades,whats the point of having 12 gb plus ram?games hardly max anymore than 2gb ram.8gb should be sufficient.nope,8gb is overkill too.4gb is sufficient enough for almost any game.bf3 could change that thoughshreshto
some of us do a lot of editing, which eats ram like a fat kid eats cake
lil_d_mack_314

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 lil_d_mack_314
Member since 2006 • 13969 Posts

since we are talking about upgrades,whats the point of having 12 gb plus ram?games hardly max anymore than 2gb ram.8gb should be sufficient.nope,8gb is overkill too.4gb is sufficient enough for almost any game.bf3 could change that thoughshreshto
Yeh I'm upgrading only because of BF3 (gpu 6870 or 6950 and ram 8gb). I can pretty much run any other game on high :)

samuraiguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 samuraiguns
Member since 2005 • 11588 Posts

Yeah, becasue I don't only game on it, Firefox takes up a whole lotta memsz and GPU power (flash video processing)

SerOlmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#25 SerOlmy
Member since 2003 • 2369 Posts
I am in the process of building a new one right now. My PC is a bit over 3 years old and with a dual-core I can't run anything high end that has come out this year. So yeah I can still justify the money. DE3, RAGE, Skyrim, ME3, Crysis 2, and others. I'll be rocking a 2500k SB or 8-core Bulldozer and 570 by the end of the month.
XIntoTheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 XIntoTheBlue
Member since 2009 • 1070 Posts
Last time I bought anything significant as far as upgrading goes was almost three years ago and that was when I put my machine together. Everything else after that has been things like external storage space, heatsinks, and things fairly unrelated to gaming. I had an aged P4 based machine before what I use now which definitely needed upgrading back then. I'll continue going with what I have until there is a game I encounter that really starts to suffer at a decent graphics setting. However, since I am fully employed with no family to bog me down, I'll probably upgrade because I -want- to and not because I have to (and yeah, I know there is no "have tos" with this being a hobby and all).
osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17883 Posts
upgrading is not something i obsess over. to be honest if it didnt break i would probably still be using my old 8800GTX. i only upgrade when i think i need an upgrade. otherwise i just get on with playing games. the hardware is only a means to an end. i always like to see whats happening in the hardware world mind but i dont feel a need to get a new GPU or CPU simply because it exists. when the need does come around....do i think its worth it? oh yes definately. imho the PC is, without exception, the finest gaming machine on the planet.
will952

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 will952
Member since 2008 • 655 Posts

Yes, because my 4850 + Q8200 just won't cut the mustard anymore, not to mention the PC's had networking problems since day one. If it's a choice between spending £500 for a new computer than can't play games, and spending £800 on a beastly gaming pc, I know which is the better choice.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#29 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
I think its very hard to justify several hundred dollars just so you can play some computer games now. Its getting way too technical too.
Avatar image for deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
Member since 2009 • 4928 Posts

I went from a dual core 3.6, 4 gigs ram and a gtx 285 to a quad 4.0, 8 gigs and a gtx580 a few months ago, I didnt really need to upgrade my old rig maxed almost everything, but my new rig just runs everything better. I also wanted a dx 11 card, but I dont see the need to upgrade in the next few years unless we starting more then bad console ports, and I will quit pc gaming if I just have to upgrade because developers dont want to optimize. I wont upgrade for 1 or 2 pc exclusives if I can run everything else just fine.

jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31 jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts

If I had the extra scratch I could definitely justify upgrading my PC again. A better GPU (or another 560 ti) and a better mobo to go for SLI, and maybe double my RAM from 8GB to 16GB. There are a few things I need to future-proof my PC still.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#32 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

Yes, because I'm getting a new PC this week.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

mitu123

Bought an entirely new one for BF3 huh? Don't even deny it. :P

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 mitu123

[QUOTE="mitu123"]

airshocker

Bought an entirely new one for BF3 huh? Don't even deny it. :P

Other games as well.:o

flipin_jackass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 flipin_jackass
Member since 2004 • 9772 Posts

My Radeon 4770 and Phenom II 945 still does the job, but there's definitely room for improvement. I'm not too inclined to spend $250+ on a new GPU. I do have my eye on the Radeon 6950 2GB, which I might get just for the hell of it one of these days, in the near future.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

mitu123

My "upgrade" pretty much turned into an entirely new build I think the only thing I took from my old computer was my video card.

And all pretty much for BF3, SWTOR, a few other titles I'm really looking forward to.

mirgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 mirgamer
Member since 2003 • 2489 Posts
Yes I can. It depends on a case-by-case basis. If you're a mixmaxer and purchased a really high-end PC meant to last longer, then no. If you are the kind that keeps buying all the new tech every few months when they come out, then not really. But if you're like me, who prefer to keep his gaming PC between high end and medium end, then there are always room for upgrades :) I'm still gaming on a 1440x900 res, no dedicated soundcard, 4 GB ram, phenom 965BE and a GTX 260 C216. Its still maxing most of my games at my given resolution after about 3 years. So you see, I've a lot of room to play around with if i so wish it.
topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#38 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts
I have the cash to spare, so I buy a new PC whenever I want to. I don't have a top-of-the-line desktop, but I'm happy with what I have at the moment.
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 mitu123

[QUOTE="mitu123"]

airshocker

My "upgrade" pretty much turned into an entirely new build I think the only thing I took from my old computer was my video card.

And all pretty much for BF3, SWTOR, a few other titles I'm really looking forward to.

Mine is an entire new build besides the cpu which isn't out yet and the 2 GTX 460s I kept. I want to get revenge on Crysis, Metro and GTAIV+expansions in addation to new games.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts
Personally i cant.i mean i can pretty much max any console ports i play nowadays.it seems so useless to even bother with upgrading.why would i upgrade if the tech dont push the limit?so,do you guys justify your upgrading?shreshto
I upgraded when it's NEEDED....not just cause I feel like it or can...
Avatar image for Gamesterpheonix
Gamesterpheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Gamesterpheonix
Member since 2005 • 3676 Posts
I was going to for BF3 and Rage but Im not going to anymore - not getting either game. Apparently I can Deus Ex 3 at good settings with my rig so Ill just sit tight for a while more.
Avatar image for IxX3xil3d0n3XxI
IxX3xil3d0n3XxI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#42 IxX3xil3d0n3XxI
Member since 2006 • 1508 Posts
I just upgraded from a gt 440 to a gt 570. The way I see it is its a hobby.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 FelipeInside
I was going to for BF3 and Rage but Im not going to anymore - not getting either game. Apparently I can Deus Ex 3 at good settings with my rig so Ill just sit tight for a while more. Gamesterpheonix
Why not BF3? I still don't know personally about RAGE. I like the PLOT (see the opening cinematic on gametrailers), but the gameplay looks meh so far to me.
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 mitu123

[QUOTE="Gamesterpheonix"]I was going to for BF3 and Rage but Im not going to anymore - not getting either game. Apparently I can Deus Ex 3 at good settings with my rig so Ill just sit tight for a while more. FelipeInside
Why not BF3?

I'm guessing the beta gave him a horrible taste even though it won't be like that in the final build, in terms of graphics and stability at least.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="Gamesterpheonix"]I was going to for BF3 and Rage but Im not going to anymore - not getting either game. Apparently I can Deus Ex 3 at good settings with my rig so Ill just sit tight for a while more. mitu123

Why not BF3?

I'm guessing the beta gave him a horrible taste even though it won't be like that in the final build, in terms of graphics and stability at least.

I've heard the graphics are great though.... stability of course you can't judge on a beta...
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 mitu123

[QUOTE="mitu123"]

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"] Why not BF3?FelipeInside

I've heard the graphics are great though.... stability of course you can't judge on a beta...

Graphics lack a real ultra setting despite saying it is there in the menu which means the final product is going to look amazing and more demanding, but the good looks great though.

gamer620

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 gamer620
Member since 2004 • 3367 Posts
Personally i cant.i mean i can pretty much max any console ports i play nowadays.it seems so useless to even bother with upgrading.why would i upgrade if the tech dont push the limit?so,do you guys justify your upgrading?shreshto
I am not sure I understand what you are saying... Are you saying you can't justify upgrading your PC anymore because you currently are able to max settings on current PC games? 5 years down the road do you still think you will be maxing these settings?
Former_Slacker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Former_Slacker
Member since 2009 • 2618 Posts

My cpu is getting on in years (q6600) and my motherboard is a bit restrictive. I'm also limited to ddr2. I'm probably going to do the big update to ivy bridge next year while keeping my 6970 although if nothing really demanding is being released and my system doesn't die on me after almost 6 years, then I might wait until haswell.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 FelipeInside

My cpu is getting on in years (q6600) and my motherboard is a bit restrictive. I'm also limited to ddr2. I'm probably going to do the big update to ivy bridge next year while keeping my 6970 although if nothing really demanding is being released and my system doesn't die on me after almost 6 years, then I might wait until haswell.

Former_Slacker
I find it's still pretty powerful. I myself have a Q6600, 8GB DDR2 RAM and a GTX470 and it runs every game on HIGH... I reckon I'll still get 1-2 more years out of it....
hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22416 Posts
I recently upgraded my system, which should last atleast a few years. But I only upgrade if it significantly improves my overall experience playing PC games. Otherwise I don't.