Can i use the xbox controller to play star wars the old republic?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

accesdenied

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 accesdenied
Member since 2008 • 485 Posts

yeah im new to pc games My friend was trying to get me into WoW, but it wasnot for me. Anyways started the star wars rpg but yeah i think im not getting into these games because of the keyboard is just not cutting it. I heard that with windows 7 you can use the xbox controller is that true and can i use it toplay these pc games?

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts
Don't know if true or not, but trust me....you want to use keyboard and mouse. There are just so many buttons to push that a controller would be really difficult. Lots of people new to PC have trouble adapting from a controller, but trust me, just keep practicing and you will get the hang of it.
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts
If your Xbox controller has around 20 total buttons, then yes you can, but no. You won't see a MMO working on a controller and the OS having integrated controller drivers doesn't mean that any game released will be playable on a MS controller.
accesdenied

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 accesdenied
Member since 2008 • 485 Posts

cool thanks.

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

yeah im new to pc games My friend was trying to get me into WoW, but it wasnot for me. Anyways started the star wars rpg but yeah i think im not getting into these games because of the keyboard is just not cutting it. I heard that with windows 7 you can use the xbox controller is that true and can i use it toplay these pc games?

accesdenied

to my knowledge tc the only mmo's that support native use of a controller are:

star trek online (xbox/xbox 360)

champions online (xbox/xbox 360)

final fantasy 11 (ps2/ps3)

final fantasy 14 (ps3)

non-native support for other games. i know for a fact there is 3rd party support for age of conan, WoW, guildwars and Aion via a program called "switchblade". however its not free. you pay monthly for its use.

trust me though, omitting ff11 your better off with the keybaord and mosue most times

Avatar image for deactivated-6243ee9902175
deactivated-6243ee9902175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-6243ee9902175
Member since 2007 • 5847 Posts

I would highly recommend staying away from a controller. MMOs usually have a ridiculous amount of skills by the end game and there is no way to realistically map all of those to a controller without doing something drastic like making the game 'real' turn based instead of the round-based system in real time.

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

I think I have about 30 different abilities keybound per character, plus I have about 10 macros per character.

Do not under any circumstances use a controller for an MMO or an FPS on PC, if you are competing against other players, you will get rocked.

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

I think I have about 30 different abilities keybound per character, plus I have about 10 macros per character.

Do not under any circumstances use a controller for an MMO or an FPS on PC, if you are competing against other players, you will get rocked.

GummiRaccoon

so true. nobody uses the controller support fo Champs or STO due to the fact that its basically pointless for ground combat and air combat would see you loose to everyone and their mother. i think i fought a guy in ship to ship once.. he had a much better ship than me and i dropped him on his face cause he couldnt pilot his way out of a box. unsure if he was using controller though...