Can a Coaxial Cable Accept/Provide 1080p?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

XENOmorph00010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 0

#1 XENOmorph00010
Member since 2004 • 4354 Posts

I recently bought an HDTV for my apartment bedroom with 1080p resolution, which I was able to achieve as the resolution for the component channel used for my Xbox 360 (connecting all six of the cables).

But I'm wondering if this same resolution can be achieved with a coaxial cable (at least I think that's what I'm using). I've been trying to mess around with the menus of my TV but can't find a way to change the ATV resolution from 480i. Here's a picture of what it looks like, in case I'm mistaken:

The only access for television here is through the same type of cable outputs, so if I'd need a different cable for higher resolution, I'm not sure if are any that would connect to them while providing the increase in quality.

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

I recently bought an HDTV for my apartment bedroom with 1080p resolution, which I was able to achieve as the resolution for the component channel used for my Xbox 360 (connecting all six of the cables).

But I'm wondering if this same resolution can be achieved with a coaxial cable (at least I think that's what I'm using). I've been trying to mess around with the menus of my TV but can't find a way to change the ATV resolution from 480i. Here's a picture of what it looks like, in case I'm mistaken:

The only access for television here is through the same type of cable outputs, so if I'd need a different cable for higher resolution, I'm not sure if are any that would connect to them while providing the increase in quality.

XENOmorph00010

Well, I used one for free over air local channels, and everything was coming in at 720p/1080i just fine.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

Here is how it works.
Coax can easily do 1080i/720p(even 1080p, but nobody broadcasts 1080p), but if you go through a cable box, they don't let you output HD anymore through Coax. This is why if you have a cable ready tv and plug it into the wall with no set top box, you can get HD channels, but only local channels.

The reason for this is because coax is unprotected, HDMI is protected. I wish we could just use coaxial cables, it's so much more convenient, as RG-6 cables are smaller than your typical HDMI cable... but OFC they want to protest their investments.

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

Here is how it works.
Coax can easily do 1080i/720p(even 1080p, but nobody broadcasts 1080p), but if you go through a cable box, they don't let you output HD anymore through Coax. This is why if you have a cable ready tv and plug it into the wall with no set top box, you can get HD channels, but only local channels.

The reason for this is because coax is unprotected, HDMI is protected. I wish we could just use coaxial cables, it's so much more convenient, as RG-6 cables are smaller than your typical HDMI cable... but OFC they want to protest their investments.

JigglyWiggly_

Like that's going to stop anyone with access to google.

JuanGrande386

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 JuanGrande386
Member since 2003 • 1116 Posts

Go to your cable provider and buy a cable box. Plug your coax into it then run either component or hdmi from the box to your hdtv. the hd channels arent gonna be the normal channel number, i still have to explain this to my parents when they say "i thought everything was just hd with the box now". For example Discovery Channel here is channel 33 in SD and 776 in HD.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]

Here is how it works.

topgunmv

Like that's going to stop anyone with access to google.

Huh? What are you going to do? Open up your set top box, jtag property that's not yours and let it output through coaxial? Good luck on that project.

Or hell better yet just unencrypt all the encrypted channels, o wait lol.

X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
Talk about confuzzzling, you're talking RG-6 "Cable" type of coax..........i came in thinking about the Audio "Coaxial" Digital cable, which i hear is actually the same type of cable as your Yellow RCA Composite generic video cable, then i was told they all are basically the same copper cables so when i used a Component to setup an old RCA composite system it still worked! :D