Call of Duty 4 vs Counter Strike which one should i buy

• 100 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

novak243

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 novak243
Member since 2007 • 29 Posts

Tommorow is my birthday and I was wondering if i should get Call of Duty 4 or Counter Strike. Graphics are important to me, but so is price if i get Counter Strike i would lots of money left over. And im mainly going to playing these games online so it doesnt really mean much to me if either has weak single player. If you do recomend counter strike plz tell me which one to get because ive seen source and anthology and i really dont know which one is better. And finally, plz tell me if either has voice chat cause to me that is a giant plus

vash47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 vash47
Member since 2007 • 2171 Posts
I never played Call of Duty 4, just the single player. But I tell you that I really enjoy playing CS, whether it is 1.6 or Source, one of the best MP games. But I guess that COD4 is more friendly to noobs.
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#3 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
Uhhh: Call of Duty 4 definitely. 10 hours for the single player but I have played up to 30 hours for Multiplayer and I don't usually play MP. Just a warning though: it can be pretty competitive and frustrating...
inyourface_12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 inyourface_12
Member since 2006 • 14757 Posts
counter strike source if you want multiplayer that is based on skill
zeppelin_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 zeppelin_64
Member since 2006 • 3924 Posts
Call Of Duty 4 definitely. I could never get into CS.
kingofthewii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 kingofthewii
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

css is the better choice for online its endless fun with all the mods and normal stuff i would buy 6 copys of it before cod4

Avatar image for pcgamer_revival
pcgamer_revival

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 pcgamer_revival
Member since 2008 • 30 Posts
css for the win it is the best multiplayer fps ever way better than the only hype halo 3
Avatar image for mechwarrior_bob
mechwarrior_bob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 mechwarrior_bob
Member since 2006 • 1789 Posts
CS 1.6/CSS
Toriko42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#9 Toriko42
Member since 2006 • 27562 Posts
COD4 is way better but CSS has awesome custom content, depends what you want
stu_godd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 stu_godd
Member since 2006 • 538 Posts
COD4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
nrhk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 nrhk
Member since 2005 • 1038 Posts

Accurcacy is more important in CSS

Awarenes and being able to spot your oppoents in the distance before they spot you in more important in COD4

This is mainly because the guns are much harder to aim in CSS and you die quicker in COD4 (Hardcore Mode)

Avatar image for deactivated-582d495c81bdf
deactivated-582d495c81bdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-582d495c81bdf
Member since 2008 • 751 Posts
Call of Duty 4 all the way.
hoola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 hoola
Member since 2004 • 6422 Posts
CSS. I have been playing it for two years and it is still good and is something new every time i play.
darkgoth678

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 darkgoth678
Member since 2007 • 326 Posts

As a player of both i can give you both perspectives,

When i read your criteria and read "graphics are really important to me" I automatically though of Call of Duty 4 because it is simply the best looking one out there, i am telling you, SICKEST GRAPHICS ON A FPS ON THE MARKET (besides Crysis of course). Now, you have to keep in mind that with great graphics there is a need for a powerfull rig so you might want to make sure your computer can run it. Voice chat in CoD4 isn't that big (at least on the servers i play on) but im sure you can find plenty of vocie servers. I would also like to point out the virtually unlimited amount of unlocables and challenges CoD4 has to offer, even if you get to lv 55 you still have planty of fun chalenges to complete. I agree with the person that stated that it is pretty comptetative and you find yourse;f in lots of clan server but also in every other game, so no getting aound that one.

Now again, you mentioned Graphics so between CS1.6 and CSS, defenatly CSS for running source enigne and its an incredable jump running at HD. CSS's mod community is great as some stated and with the right servers and the right people you are bound to have hours of fun.

Personally I would recommend Call of Duty 4 because of the incredably deep multyplayer options with the ability to customize your weapons hundreds of ways and the incredably well balanced perk system give a little strategy top the FPS genre, this game will keep you thinks even when you're not playing it. Also the overwelming amount of chalenges that are at your disposal to unlock. Graphic dexterity is amazing. I just think CoD4 will keep you in the game a whole lot longer than CSS, and personally, i think its more fun to have other game modes like headquarters and sabotage (also in there is your DM and team DM) rather than just defusing a bomb or rescuing hostages all the time, so what ever mode your into at the time will fit you. And I find that calling an airstrike or a chopper every once in a while also add another depth to the game.

Again, if you're getting CoD4 make sure you can run it, if graphics is a problem and want to upgrade, i found an 8600 GT does the job well.

Hope I helped!

*I did not mean to dis CSS in any way. I love CSS for a long time and will always remember my roots.

SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SKaREO
Member since 2006 • 3161 Posts

Tommorow is my birthday and I was wondering if i should get Call of Duty 4 or Counter Strike. Graphics are important to me, but so is price if i get Counter Strike i would lots of money left over. And im mainly going to playing these games online so it doesnt really mean much to me if either has weak single player. If you do recomend counter strike plz tell me which one to get because ive seen source and anthology and i really dont know which one is better. And finally, plz tell me if either has voice chat cause to me that is a giant plus

novak243

You said graphics are important? Get Crysis. Otherwise, CS:Source.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
You could just buy the Orange Box and get around 35 hours of single player and enough multiplayer to throw a stick at all for a price less than CoD4. And then down the road perhaps you could get CSS and DoDS if you are looking for even more MP.
Keypo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Keypo
Member since 2003 • 180 Posts
I have CSS yet i ordered COD4 yesterday hmmm. Everytime i try CSS i am left wanting more. I have enjoyed COD4 though. I searched for mods but couldnt find any on CSS guess i looked in the wrong places? But when connecting to servers they are modded and download the weird mod stuff.
Ps2stony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#18 Ps2stony
Member since 2006 • 1888 Posts

Yeah, CoD4 or you can't call yourself a PC gamah. Seriously, why the hell would this be a fair fight against CounterSuck: Suckage? At least compare it to CounterStrike: Source.

LOL OMG THAT WAS A FUNNY JOKE EH YEAH I LAUGH HARDER THAN ROSIE DONNEL HAVING TEX MEX ON THE DINING ROOM COUCH!!!!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So yeah get out of here and buy CoD4 and beat the SP if you have some time off the MP(which btw you shouldn't but seriously beat the campaign before you get addicted to the MP.) Seriously.

GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 GodLovesDead
Member since 2007 • 9755 Posts
Counter-Strike Source. I have thousands of hours into the CS series. Call of Duty 4 got maybe 10 from me.
OoSuperMarioO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 OoSuperMarioO
Member since 2005 • 6539 Posts
If your rig can handle Call of Duty 4 then I'll defiantly go for it. Call of Duty 4 is certainly not a fps to be missed. CS is great but I can almost guarantee you your going to be getting rock left to right by experienced/pro players. CS online is already very established by players who has been playing the game for years. Call of Duty 4 is a fun experience and the intensity never ends from start to to finish.
novak243

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 novak243
Member since 2007 • 29 Posts

thx for all the help so far guys i just have 2 more ?s does css have a ranking system and is battlefield 2142 anygood cause they are selling its delux edition for only 20 bucks

Cdscottie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 Cdscottie
Member since 2004 • 1872 Posts

Is anyone else finding PS2Stony's posts getting more annoying everytime?

Anyways, it's all about personal preference. I use to play counter-strike before they went source and I played some of CoD4. For some reason, both games didn't keep me going but if I had to choose it would be Counter-Strike. What sets counter-strike over CoD4, for me at least is the competitive nature. Hop into a clan and start working towards a common goal. Add in the harder gunplay instead of CoD4 "I see you first" tactics and you have a challenging but rewarding game.

Flaming_Spoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Flaming_Spoon
Member since 2008 • 289 Posts
Counter Strike 1.6, don't buy source, its not as good as the original...
yanni1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 yanni1
Member since 2004 • 1067 Posts
how about you get 1.6 & source as there cheap as hell, and cod4
Forerunner-117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Forerunner-117
Member since 2006 • 8800 Posts

Counter Strike 1.6, don't buy source, its not as good as the original... Flaming_Spoon

I must respectufully disagree. I've played both and I can't really see how anyone can recommend CS 1.6 over CS:S. IMO, CS:S is just an improvement in every way (No I'm not a graphics whore lol).

Qf1gh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Qf1gh
Member since 2007 • 54 Posts

CS.

fima1fim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 fima1fim
Member since 2008 • 264 Posts
am..CALL OF DUTY 4 best game i playid i loved it and the multiplayer is awsome you get ranks medals and stuff..but CSS is nice 2 but still call of duty 4 is best choice:!
hongkingkong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 hongkingkong
Member since 2006 • 9368 Posts
COD4. CSS has had its day, and this CoD is the best of the series.
fima1fim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 fima1fim
Member since 2008 • 264 Posts

(SURRY FOR DUBBLE POST!!!!)

Battlefield 2142 is greate i will buy the game agen just to play it i love the game! its greate BUT BATTLEFIELD at your place i was buying the game with no thinking you can join clans and stuff and get new wepons with upgrades to you like get mor graneds more speed and stuff!

BUY BF!!!

EA EA EA IS THE BEST!!!! WOOOOOOO!!!! EA!!!!!!!

p3Xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 p3Xx
Member since 2008 • 59 Posts
What sort of stupid question is that?! I have been playing CS for 5 years at least, i have played COD4 for 1 week, and it kicks CS ass. Buy COD4
Foreward66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Foreward66
Member since 2007 • 144 Posts

if youre a "n00b" then you should get CoD4,

but if u have been playing FPS before then you should get CS the king of online shooters, and u get Day of defeat: source and Half life 2 deathmatch if you buy CS: source

and as mentioned above CoD4 is a n00b game compared to CS and youre not a n00b, are you?

darkSIDEechoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 darkSIDEechoes
Member since 2007 • 3375 Posts
I'm assuming you mean Source. Since you never played it, I suggest getting Source first and THEN CoD4. Both are AWESOME but I recommend source FIRST. Not because it's 'better' or not, but because it's a great buy. AND it's cheap.
The_PC_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 The_PC_Gamer
Member since 2003 • 2910 Posts

counter strike source if you want multiplayer that is based on skillinyourface_12

agreed.

CS is more customizable than COD4, and the online community wont die after a few months.

Darth_Kane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Darth_Kane
Member since 2006 • 2966 Posts
Call of Duty 4 all the way.Foiyo
Ps2stony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Ps2stony
Member since 2006 • 1888 Posts

Cdscottie
Who? I don't know a PS2Stony, sorry. Heh...
ElArab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ElArab
Member since 2007 • 5754 Posts
Now that CoD4 has mod tools to fix all the annoying problems, then grab CoD4, but CS:S is like, 20 bucks, and there's so many awesome mods, if you have steam, you pretty much MUST have CS.
darkSIDEechoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 darkSIDEechoes
Member since 2007 • 3375 Posts
[QUOTE="Cdscottie"]

Ps2stony

WOW. HILARIOUS.

banemind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 banemind
Member since 2007 • 122 Posts

on most games in call of duty 4 i get 5:1 or 4:1 kill/death ratio.

on cs: source i get 1:2 kdr

on cs 1.6 i get 1:2 kdr

so as you can see T_T Cod4 not much of a challenge to experienced players.

banemind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 banemind
Member since 2007 • 122 Posts

on most games in call of duty 4 i get 5:1 or 4:1 kill/death ratio.

on cs: source i get 1:2 kdr

on cs 1.6 i get 1:2 kdr

so as you can see T_T Cod4 not much of a challenge to experienced players.

Avatar image for CubePrime_basic
CubePrime_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 CubePrime_basic
Member since 2003 • 3230 Posts
[QUOTE="Ps2stony"][QUOTE="Cdscottie"]

darkSIDEechoes

WOW. HILARIOUS.

I just wish for his mom to cut the internet so we can be at peace.

MyopicCanadian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#42 MyopicCanadian
Member since 2004 • 8345 Posts
Call of Duty 4 has great single player, but I think the multiplayer is terrible. Very accurate weapons and only taking a couple hits to die = a frustrating experience. If you're planning for pure multiplayer, Counter-Strike Source is the way to go. But CoD 4's SP campaign is fun enough that I would go through it atleast a few times.
Nikalai_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#43 Nikalai_88
Member since 2006 • 1755 Posts

[QUOTE="inyourface_12"]counter strike source if you want multiplayer that is based on skillThe_PC_Gamer

agreed.

CS is more customizable than COD4, and the online community wont die after a few months.

Seconded, if you want an fps based on competitive skill then get CS, if you want a teamwork fps then get a Battlefield game and if you want an fps game based on playing the map then get DoD.

bedram793

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#44 bedram793
Member since 2006 • 1741 Posts
Easily Counter Strike Source. It takes a while to get really good, but it is really fun. Also, there is a lot of skins for the weapons, so if you don't like one weapon by the way it looks you can download a skin you like. Pretty sure there is some for COD4 too, but probably not as much. Also, the community is HUGE.
Artosa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Artosa
Member since 2005 • 5063 Posts
The community may be huge but its full full of 12 year olds, hackers and racists
The_PC_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 The_PC_Gamer
Member since 2003 • 2910 Posts

The community may be huge but its full full of 12 year olds, hackers and racistsArtosa

lmao

thats why you join a team and play on real servers, not pubs. oh and COD4 is no different.

da_newb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 da_newb
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

I'm going to go over what I like about each game briefly.

Call of Duty 4: It has an incredible single player campaign, but due to its heavily scripted nature, you will probably only play thorugh it once. COD4 also has very good multiplayer, the problem is finding good servers. Mostly everything is 32 player hardcore mode (where you die from one bullet, generally). The number of players overwhelms the maps and it is hard to step anywhere without dying instantly. Hardcore works best on small servers, which are in the minority.

I think the game is best run when it is using the regular ruleset because it makes the game much more balanced, and the maps/game modes generally aren't designed for the hardcore gamemode. For example, in team deathmatch you will often have enemies spawn behind you and spray bullets into your whole team, or someone who hides in a building and camps a spawn point.

In summary, COD4 has a great singleplayer and good multiplayer if you can find good servers.

Counter Strike Source: Has no singleplayer, but has a superior multiplayer experience in my opinion. It is easier to find good servers in which people communicate and work together. I think the gameplay is also much more rewarding. It may be harder to become good at, but I find that even though I'm not good at the game, I enjoy it more than me and my teammates getting blown up by a grenade thrown from halfway across the map (I guess I just don't like COD4 hardcore).

thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts
CSS then.
jokengonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 jokengonzo
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

i dont think counter strike matches cod4 for anythin heres why cuz cs is the most unrealistic/realistic game ever made sure the guns act like there supposed to but the enviorments and players lol never do. in a real battle u should be able to do more than just crouch no going prone no meleeing with your weapon hardly any cover no fog of war for being so supposedly accuartly realistic it misses those key points if u wanna be good in counter strike simply be the faster better shooter it is very limted in its startegys just if u can shoot faster u usally win i tried to employ diffrent tactics on cs but they lack the necessary tools to make them work such as going prone bein able to hide battles arent just won by whos fastest which is usally how cs battles r won there won by startegys which cs dont apply that often

Virus214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Virus214
Member since 2007 • 2052 Posts

novak243

COD !!!!!!!!!!!!