Buying a new gaming computer screen, looking for advice

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Chel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Edited By Chel

Poll Buying a new gaming computer screen, looking for advice (11 votes)

Dell 27" LED G-Sync S2716DG 0%
Acer 27" Predator LED G-Sync XB271HU 64%
Other options 18%

Question:

Which screen do you think I should buy?

Introduction

I am going to get a gaming screen for my PC that will go well with my graphics card ''ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 8GB ROG STRIX DC3 Gaming''. What I was looking for is not a curved screen, 144Hz rate, at least 60 cm wide, and no more then 800$. I am intending to only us this PC for gaming.

So far the choice has come to stand between one ''Dell 27" LED G-Sync S2716DG'' and one ''Acer 27" Predator LED G-Sync XB271HU''. They pend around the same price range, Dell has a TN screen while Acer is ISP. The specs says Acer has a little larger screen, lower power consumption, and as an ISP screen it doesn’t have same issues as a TN screen with the color contrast looking from an angle. The Dell screen however has a response time four times faster (1ms/4ms).

Comparisson

From what I have heard these response times are nothing I would notice, therefore I would lean towards Acer, which I currently am due from recessions online so I wouldn’t have to go through the hassle a TN screen could bring.

I am still however undecided since I have read that TN screens have been, and still are, the go-to screens for gaming, and that ISP is for people who use computers from other things then gaming, like foto editing. TN screens would then be best sole for gaming (which is what I do), and to prevent input-lag and ghosting TN would be superior. But to reach a perfect picture quality with TN it would require a lot of tweaking with the settings options, and therefor people more used to TN who know what they are doing would get better quality then those who are not used or aware to it, and therefore reviewers could think at first glans ISP would be better and go with that one.

I have however also heard that that ISP has entered the market for real proper gaming screens, and that they are becoming the go-to type of screen for more and more players. Not only do you avoid the issues with angle color contrast, but issues like input-lag and ghosting in modern gaming ISP screens are at a level with TN screens where the difference is in practice irrelevant, or unnoticeable. I should also at that in my preferences minor issues and differences from shifting colors based on me or my screen shifting is something that would bother me more than it would bother most people.

Conclusion

If the difference in image quality the Dell TN has in comparison to the Acer ISP are minimal, and that you couldn’t get a clearly superior picture even if you know how you were supposed to handle the color settings I would prefer the Acer. I am also not a fan of making adjustments, but would rather just start up and go without the need to understand much of software, technology, and optimal settings, and then ISP sounds like it is the type for me, unless the TN screen in a significant way could exceed the ISP’s pictures.

This topic is so that I can get some clarity considering the things I have mentioned and if they are all correct, and perhaps even get some suggestions as to what screen I should pick based on what I have said I am looking for and what my preferences are. If you have any other ideas of screens that could befit you can suggest them to me as well, as long as they meet the criteria.

Links to the screens

Dell:

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-27-gaming-monitor-s2716dg/apd/210-agjr/monitors-monitor-accessories

Acer:

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/GB/content/predator-model/UM.HX1EE.005

My graphics card:

https://www.asus.com/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/ROG-STRIX-GTX1080-A8G-GAMING/specifications/

• 
joseph_mach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 joseph_mach
Member since 2003 • 3898 Posts

Between those two, the Acer hands down imho. It's a great monitor that I own and passed to my son for his computer. It does indeed offer a clear and bright picture straight out of the box. It's a great gaming monitor.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7705 Posts

The Dell screen however has a response time four times faster (1ms/4ms).

Don't read too much in to these, check the reviews as those are just manufacturer specs. And ye I'd recommend the Acer as well

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

Its not ISP, its IPS, get it right.

Diddies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#4 Diddies
Member since 2007 • 2415 Posts

I would recommend the Acer as it has IPS panel.

Avatar image for insane_metalist
insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#5 insane_metalist
Member since 2006 • 7797 Posts

I would also recommend Acer, I've heard tons of good feedback about it.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9399 Posts

I prefer IPS panels, myself. I've never noticed any issues with the response time.

I have the earlier revision of that ACER (XB270HU) and it's fantastic.