Burnout1106 Presents - StarForce: The Computer Killing Machine

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Gretzky1106

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 Gretzky1106
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

I don't buy StarForce Games, and it's a shame that publishers like Codemasters and Midway Games still use it and all of the Trackmania games (unless you get them on Valve's Steam, in which turn won't have StarForce).

Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Johnny_Rock
Member since 2002 • 40314 Posts
I have never had a problem with Starforce or any Starforce protected games.
RyanWare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 RyanWare
Member since 2002 • 12113 Posts

I have never had a problem with Starforce or any Starforce protected games.Johnny_Rock

Me neither.

whgresiak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#4 whgresiak
Member since 2005 • 1889 Posts
I have heard horror stories of how it's totally F#$%ed up peoples drives, but as I usually don't buy games retail... usually I use Direct2Drive or Steam I don't have to deal with CD/DVDs at all most of the time, and when I do buy them retail, I make sure they don't have Starforce... just in case.
mclazyj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 83

#5 mclazyj
Member since 2003 • 4391 Posts
My last recollection with Starforce was that no major publisher was using it anymore. They had all switched to SecurROM or some other protection scheme.
GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12805 Posts
StarForce protection - the one that was hacked in UT2004?
bogaty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7 bogaty
Member since 2003 • 4750 Posts
Never had any problems with any Starforce games. I own 12. On the other hand, I have a lot of problems with SecuROM and had to get special .exes from the company before I could get FEAR or Civ IV to run. Really annoying as I'd have to pester them every time a new patch came out. Copy protection is a waste of time.
Gretzky1106

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Gretzky1106
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

Never had any problems with any Starforce games. I own 12. On the other hand, I have a lot of problems with SecuROM and had to get special .exes from the company before I could get FEAR or Civ IV to run. Really annoying as I'd have to pester them every time a new pt. Copy protection is a waste of time.bogaty

Civ IV has SafeDisc, not SecuROM.:!

Codemasters used to use SecuROM, but switched to StarForce because it couldn't be cracked easily.:twisted:

Atari has almost always used SecuROM ever since Infogrames turned into Atari. On the other hand, Atari used Tages in some games.:)

So wanna sue Codemasters and ask them to switch to Tages?:P

Microsoft has their own copy protection, SmartE.

Anthony9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9 Anthony9000
Member since 2006 • 2173 Posts

i had to install a patch that took away starforce on one of my games, ppl that haven't had probs probly will soon cause at first my game (restaurant empire), worked very well wit no problems until i uninstalled it a year later.

a year after that i felt like playing it again so i installed it again, but when it did the starforce check thing, it said my disk wasn't in it and i was very pissed off cause it was.

after 2-3 hours of searching, i finally found out that a patch for the game would fix it so i got it and the game was fine again. i'm NEVER gonna get a starforce game again cause it could've wrecked my comp instead

WARxSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#10 WARxSnake
Member since 2006 • 2154 Posts

the only reason someone should really be hating starforce for is if he pirates games.

Installign daemontools is more of a risk than installing Starforce since daemontools comes with SPTD, a copy protection bypasser that may hinder your ability to burn DVDs/CDs, the only solution would be to reinstall os, or to try to uninstall the obscure app.

and many more people use daemon tools, im sure. not saying its a bad program i use it all the time for virtual drives, but you are basically almost at a same risk for running DT.

Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts
I don't have any starforce games but I don't want to risk it
onemic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 onemic
Member since 2003 • 5616 Posts

the only reason someone should really be hating starforce for is if he pirates games.

Installign daemontools is more of a risk than installing Starforce since daemontools comes with SPTD, a copy protection bypasser that may hinder your ability to burn DVDs/CDs, the only solution would be to reinstall os, or to try to uninstall the obscure app.

and many more people use daemon tools, im sure. not saying its a bad program i use it all the time for virtual drives, but you are basically almost at a same risk for running DT.

WARxSnake

That argument really makes no sense as starforce can be and is cracked just as easily and as fast as other copy protection programs.

WARxSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 WARxSnake
[QUOTE="WARxSnake"]

onemic

That argument really makes no sense as starforce can be and is cracked just as easily and as fast as other copy protection programs.

before you tell people what im saying makes no sense, go look into what had to be done to games like Chaos Theory just so that it would run without a disk. i beleive gamers had to wait half a year for someone to succesfully crack chaos theory

And no its not 'easily' cracked. Starforce and Securom protections are at this time basically being battled by ONE guy in china that works along with the people at Daemon tools, and he is the person responsible for YASU, yet another securom utility, and everytime a game comes out right after his 'new version' of yasu, the game protection always counters his updates. so no, by no means is it easy. Only recently has starforce been fully broken by daemontools latest release where the update was meant to counter starforce running with DiRT. So for the longest time of service, starforce was and technically still is one of the harder protections to crack. Just look at all the starforce killer apps that tried and failed to crack starforce.

onemic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 onemic
[QUOTE="onemic"][QUOTE="WARxSnake"]

WARxSnake

before you tell people what im saying makes no sense, go look into what had to be done to games like Chaos Theory just so that it would run without a disk. i beleive gamers had to wait half a year for someone to succesfully crack chaos theory

And no its not 'easily' cracked. Starforce and Securom protections are at this time basically being battled by ONE guy in china that works along with the people at Daemon tools, and he is the person responsible for YASU, yet another securom utility, and everytime a game comes out right after his 'new version' of yasu, the game protection always counters his updates. so no, by no means is it easy. Only recently has starforce been fully broken by daemontools latest release where the update was meant to counter starforce running with DiRT. So for the longest time of service, starforce was and technically still is one of the harder protections to crack. Just look at all the starforce killer apps that tried and failed to crack starforce.

Considering that you think that the people working behind daemon tools crack copy protected games I don't think you know anything about how quickly games are cracked. No matter what copy protection software a game uses it is almost always cracked within the first few days of said games release. I don't know where you got that info about chaos theory taking 6 months, but I can assure you that the information is pretty much false.

WARxSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 WARxSnake
[QUOTE="WARxSnake"][QUOTE="onemic"][QUOTE="WARxSnake"]

onemic

Considering that you think that the people working behind daemon tools crack copy protected games I don't think you know anything about how quickly games are cracked. No matter what copy protection software a game uses it is almost always cracked within the first few days of said games release. I don't know where you got that info about chaos theory taking 6 months, but I can assure you that the information is pretty much false.

1. i never said Daemon Tools cracks games, dont put words in my mouth, instead go check out their forums where the YASU creator is an active moderator answering questions about games not working under his program. Do that.

Anyway you win, you're a better game-pirate than me, you copy-paste cracks faster than me, you're leet. bye

WARxSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 WARxSnake
2. and yes chaos theory's starforce took at least that amount of time to get fully bypassed, during that time the only bypass people could do was to physically disconnect their ATAPI drives while runnign daemontools and naming the virtual drive letter that of the disconnected drive. There were additional steps to this but that is the jist of it and basically no one felt like doing it so it took a while till the game got bypassed fully.
onemic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 onemic

2. and yes chaos theory's starforce took at least that amount of time to get fully bypassed, during that time the only bypass people could do was to physically disconnect their ATAPI drives while runnign daemontools and naming the virtual drive letter that of the disconnected drive. There were additional steps to this but that is the jist of it and basically no one felt like doing it so it took a while till the game got bypassed fully.WARxSnake

The fact is that its copy protection was still bypassed, which is really the only thing that matters.

And who are you to call me a pirate? Because I've actually been able refute some of the things you have said? Please.

BTW....

"And no its not 'easily' cracked. Starforce and Securom protections are at this time basically being battled by ONE guy in china that works along with the people at Daemon tools"

This is exactly what you said. I never put words in your mouth.

brood_aliance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#18 brood_aliance
Member since 2004 • 1005 Posts

Stupid how some publishers still choose StarForce, even though almost ALL games in the world have been cracked.

Screw you pirates! You make the paying customers suffer!

WARxSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 WARxSnake

[QUOTE="WARxSnake"]2. and yes chaos theory's starforce took at least that amount of time to get fully bypassed, during that time the only bypass people could do was to physically disconnect their ATAPI drives while runnign daemontools and naming the virtual drive letter that of the disconnected drive. There were additional steps to this but that is the jist of it and basically no one felt like doing it so it took a while till the game got bypassed fully.onemic

The fact is that its copy protection was still bypassed, which is really the only thing that matters.

And who are you to call me a pirate? Because I've actually been able refute some of the things you have said? Please.

BTW....

"And no its not 'easily' cracked. Starforce and Securom protections are at this time basically being battled by ONE guy in china that works along with the people at Daemon tools"

yes he is in their forums and is actual staff.daemon tools however does not crack games, they make the whole thing easier by emulation disk drives. you claimed i said daemon tools cracks games. very different. shows you know what im talking about.

"The fact is that its copy protection was still bypassed, which is really the only thing that matters."

yes i thought that part was obvious, my argument was the fact that it took a while and it was hard to do so. You're changing the subject of the argument?

...And who are you to call me a pirate? Because I've actually been able refute some of the things you have said? Please...

Refute? right, all ive given you is true information you can easily verify by searching, all you've done is say "no." thats awesome refutedeness. im done here.

onemic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 onemic
[QUOTE="onemic"]

[QUOTE="WARxSnake"]2. and yes chaos theory's starforce took at least that amount of time to get fully bypassed, during that time the only bypass people could do was to physically disconnect their ATAPI drives while runnign daemontools and naming the virtual drive letter that of the disconnected drive. There were additional steps to this but that is the jist of it and basically no one felt like doing it so it took a while till the game got bypassed fully.WARxSnake

BTW....

yes he is their forums and is staff.daemon tools however does not crack games, they make the whole thing easier. you claimed i said daemon tools cracks games. decide.

"The fact is that its copy protection was still bypassed, which is really the only thing that matters."

yes i thought that part was obvious, my argument was the fact that it took a while and it was hard to do so. You're chaning the subject of the argument?

...And who are you to call me a pirate? Because I've actually been able refute some of the things you have said? Please...

Refute? right, all ive given you is true information you can easily verify by searching, all you've done is say "no." thats awesome refutedeness. im done here.

Did you not just say that it took half a year to completely crack the game but before then people had already bypassed the copy protection? I never changed the subject, bypassing starforce was the whole reason I ever quoted you in the first place.

And yes I have refuted your point of starforce games generally taking a long time to get through. Yes, a dedicated crack may have taken a bit longer, most likely because cracking teams weren't that interested in cracking chaos theory, but they got bypassed, just like any other crack within an extremely short time within the games release. Since this was pretty much the main point that I wanted to refute and I have done it, I think I am done here.

WARxSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 WARxSnake
[QUOTE="WARxSnake"][QUOTE="onemic"]

[QUOTE="WARxSnake"]2. and yes chaos theory's starforce took at least that amount of time to get fully bypassed, during that time the only bypass people could do was to physically disconnect their ATAPI drives while runnign daemontools and naming the virtual drive letter that of the disconnected drive. There were additional steps to this but that is the jist of it and basically no one felt like doing it so it took a while till the game got bypassed fully.onemic

BTW....

yes he is their forums and is staff.daemon tools however does not crack games, they make the whole thing easier. you claimed i said daemon tools cracks games. decide.

yes i thought that part was obvious, my argument was the fact that it took a while and it was hard to do so. You're chaning the subject of the argument?

Did you not just say that it took half a year to completely crack the game but before then people had already bypassed the copy protection? I never changed the subject, bypassing starforce was the whole reason I ever quoted you in the first place.

And yes I have refuted your point of starforce games generally taking a long time to get through. Yes, a dedicated crack may have taken a bit longer, most likely because cracking teams weren't that interested in cracking chaos theory, but they got bypassed, just like any other crack within an extremely short time within the games release. Since this was pretty much the main point that I wanted to refute and I have done it, I think I am done here.

no i doubt you are done here because you will keep wanting to get the last word even though you talk in general and have no backing on your facts

how is physically disconnecting your optical drive a crack? doesnt that take the whole purpose of a crack a little too far??? You dont want to have the disk in the drive, but i imagine you would want to keep your drive connected! This step was always considered a workaround for a while and not a true solution to bypassing starforce. (and chaos theory is not the only game in question here, it was just an example).

Thus bypassing starforce with software updates rather than drive disconnections is considered the first true crack for the game.

My ultimate point was that Starforce was a b*tch to bypass , and this overly retarded conversation proves that in some way.