Blizzard Forums Will Soon Display Your Real Name

• 52 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

StopThePresses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 StopThePresses
Member since 2010 • 2767 Posts

http://kotaku.com/5580585/blizzard-forums-will-soon-display-your-real-name

What do you think about this? I understand why they are doing it, but I still don't like it. Mostly, I don't like the idea of people being able to keep tabs on my online habits by doing a search of my real name. Not that I plan on using the forums much, but I guess I'll be registering Starcraft II under a pseudonym.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts

I don't really care, doesn't bother me, I for one consider that being on the internet = lack of privacy. Having at least a few hundred posts on GS will make your name go up on google as the first link and after that it links pretty much every website/forum that you have an account on or people that just have the same user name. Keeping the internet to browsing, e-mail and specific websites retains your privacy, more or less, but actively participating on forums, using popular websites, playing popular games, there's no privacy there.

Empirefrtw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Empirefrtw
Member since 2006 • 1324 Posts

Yeah the whole reason we have avatars is because we don't want people to know the real person and now blizzard is forcing it out there.

StopThePresses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 StopThePresses

I don't really care, doesn't bother me, I for one consider that being on the internet = lack of privacy. Having at least a few hundred posts on GS will make your name go up on google as the first link and after that it links pretty much every website/forum that you have an account on or people that just have the same user name.

DanielDust

Well, for one thing, I don't use the same user name on every site. (That is part of the reason, actually.) For another, obviously my real name is not my user handle. I'm not going to have some potential employer do a search for "StopThePresses" and not hire me on the basis of something I said somewhere in casual conversation that they didn't like or something like that. I think one would have to be breaking some laws in order to tie my account to my real identity.

designer-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 designer-
Member since 2010 • 1328 Posts
I think its a great idea. If properly enforced it could stop/ decrease the amount of nonsense people sprout. How many trolls would there honestly be if they had to use their real names?
Esoteric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Esoteric
Member since 2003 • 720 Posts

Um, can't you just input a fake name initially? That's what I always do...

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

I don't really care, doesn't bother me, I for one consider that being on the internet = lack of privacy. Having at least a few hundred posts on GS will make your name go up on google as the first link and after that it links pretty much every website/forum that you have an account on or people that just have the same user name. Keeping the internet to browsing, e-mail and specific websites retains your privacy, more or less, but actively participating on forums, using popular websites, playing popular games, there's no privacy there.

DanielDust
Why not? Do you put your real name on your profile? Do you tell everyone your screen name? There's plenty of privacy.
StopThePresses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 StopThePresses

Um, can't you just input a fake name initially? That's what I always do...

Esoteric
I know one thing you don't always do: read beyond the subject line.
gamer620

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 gamer620
Member since 2004 • 3367 Posts

Yeah the whole reason we have avatars is because we don't want people to know the real person and now blizzard is forcing it out there.

Empirefrtw
What are you hiding behind an avatar that your name will give away? do you only play the opposite sex in games like wow? Is your name not zergish enough?
Prexxus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Prexxus
Member since 2003 • 1443 Posts

Your name has to match your credit card doesn't it? I think thats gonna force people to not use fake names.

StopThePresses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 StopThePresses

Your name has to match your credit card doesn't it? I think thats gonna force people to not use fake names.

Prexxus
Do you actually think that they are going to require all Starcraft II players to have a credit card? That wouldn't be very good business sense.
OoSuperMarioO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 OoSuperMarioO
Member since 2005 • 6539 Posts

Displaying your real name should be a choice not a prerequisite. I'm not understanding the current Blizzard thinking, honestly, you guys literally just gave open public tickets for stalkers. Who thought this was a good idea at Blizzard?

Empirefrtw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Empirefrtw
Member since 2006 • 1324 Posts

No but I am playing in a game that simulates another world and *insert my name here* doesn't exist in that world and I don't know anyone on the forums well enough to give them my real name in fact only two people that I have ever met online have I given them my real name.

xWoW_Rougex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 xWoW_Rougex
Member since 2009 • 2793 Posts

I have been permanently banned TWICE on the same account on their forums anyway so HAH!

TentacleMayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 TentacleMayor
Member since 2008 • 1469 Posts

It's total BS and I sure as hell won't be posting on the forums like that. Maybe it's their way of reducing the amount of traffic they get on the forums and the amount of moderators they need. Whatever the case, there's no need to encourage this encroachment of privacy. You might say, 'it's just for the forums and you don't have to post', well who the hell knows where they'll do it next. It would be better to post the player's account name instead, to limit the amount of alt trolls.

Crimsader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Crimsader
Member since 2008 • 11672 Posts

I have been permanently banned TWICE on the same account on their forums anyway so HAH!

xWoW_Rougex
There is no such thing as permanent ban on the Internet. On-topic - great, another way to troll them.
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DanielDust
This thing will destroy some gamers :P kids that have parents managing their account.....what is this Terrance? where did you learn to to speak like that? grounded mister, no more WoW this month. :D @KHAA: Well imo the account that you'd use in games, forums, websites, assuming they aren't all unique (I personally can't imagine this, I probably am registered on more than 70 websites, forums, half of which I regularly visit, and I know I wouldn't bother making an unique id for all of them mostly because I wouldn't remember them all, I have around 5 or 6 at most) is way more personal and unique, I don't know what your name is but I doubt there aren't at least a few other people named the same, hundreds, thousands maybe more, same with my name, but the name you invent on forums, etc if they aren't made after games or different real tangible objects, then you're probably one of the few with that name if not the only one. But anyway, that's me, I don't mind people knowing my real name more than people on multiple websites knowing my user name, it's all the same for me, I even use part of it now Daniel :P.
Kh1ndjal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Kh1ndjal
Member since 2003 • 2788 Posts
i don't know what blizzard is trying to do with this tbh. i think if this goes through then only the most fanatic of blizzard fans will be posting on the official forums.
Prexxus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Prexxus
Member since 2003 • 1443 Posts

i don't know what blizzard is trying to do with this tbh. i think if this goes through then only the most fanatic of blizzard fans will be posting on the official forums.Kh1ndjal

Thats exactly what they want.

xWoW_Rougex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 xWoW_Rougex
Member since 2009 • 2793 Posts

[QUOTE="xWoW_Rougex"]

Crimsader

There is no such thing as permanent ban on the Internet. On-topic - great, another way to troll them.

Your forum account is bound to your account so it's not something you can "by pass".

frnk55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 frnk55
Member since 2010 • 260 Posts

LOL, I think this is great! Now some of the immature kids won't be posting.

KalDurenik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 KalDurenik
Member since 2004 • 3736 Posts

While i dont care that much about it...

I still do see more problems then good things with it.

Good:

*Less trolling O.o

Bad:

*Name harass / Female's geting stalked O.o

*Alot less posts on their forum (i guess this is the goal)

*Easier to get hacked / People to change your password.(all you have to do is "know account name... and name / last name" and you can even call and ask them to change password for you... Unless ofc they change it with this.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 DanielDust
One small problem, a hacker can't do anything without an e-mail address, and if an user isn't stupid he can't possibly share that with anyone.
Animatronic64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Animatronic64
Member since 2010 • 3971 Posts

Well, Blizzard already lost me when they said we have to register with Battle.net to play Starcraft II and Diablo III. I don't pirate their games, and I don't play them online, why do I have to register an account and have to have an Internet connection in order to play the single player portion of the game? Screw Blizzard, I'm done with their trash, this is the final nail in the coffin.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 DanielDust

Well, Blizzard already lost me when they said we have to register with Battle.net to play Starcraft II and Diablo III. I don't pirate their games, and I don't play them online, why do I have to register an account and have to have an Internet connection in order to play the single player portion of the game? Screw Blizzard, I'm done with their trash, this is the final nail in the coffin.

Animatronic64
As "Blizzard" said before, you don't...you can play the sp without an internet connection, but you need to connect to battle.net at least once, when you first install the game.
Animatronic64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Animatronic64
Member since 2010 • 3971 Posts
[QUOTE="Animatronic64"]

DanielDust
As "Blizzard" said before, you don't...you can play the sp without an internet connection, but you need to connect to battle.net at least once, when you first install the game.

And I don't want to do that.
The_Capitalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#28 The_Capitalist
Member since 2004 • 10838 Posts

Real name? You can use a fake/misspelled name to sign up for a credit card or bank account if you want. This isn't going to deter anyone.

You can even go to court and change your legal name for $40.

Avatar image for Gamesterpheonix
Gamesterpheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Gamesterpheonix
Member since 2005 • 3676 Posts
Im completely on the fence with this. I like how it could stop the douche bags that are usually on forums from being bad cuz they're anonymous but I also dont know how safe it is. I may just avoid the forums. It would be fine if I didnt have a facebook or couldnt be googled but I can be googled now. lol. And I dont need people looking me up for bad reasons.
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#30 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts
...and what about avatars? We have to use our ID pictures? :lol: Anyway this is insane and disrespectfull to someones privacy. I will not participate.
Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
"I am Grognak The Destroyer of Worlds!" "Uh.. no, you're Jason Gregson" =P
N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

I don't understand what's the fuss about this. It doesn't bother me at all. I usually give out my name to my friends because I constantly change it where I can.

OoSuperMarioO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 OoSuperMarioO
Member since 2005 • 6539 Posts

I don't understand what's the fuss about this. It doesn't bother me at all. I usually give out my name to my friends because I constantly change it where I can.

N30F3N1X

If trolling was the real problem(certainly in the case of WoW) Blizzard could of implemented ways for people to view the "troll" additional characters/ main account profile to put them at a risk, which will contribute to minimize the issue without putting the entire playerbase at a security risk. Trial accounts could of also been limited to specific utilization of the technical forum until the account is tied to a cd key for full forum access.

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 N30F3N1X

[QUOTE="N30F3N1X"]

OoSuperMarioO

If trolling was the real problem(certainly in the case of WoW) Blizzard could of implemented ways for people to view the "troll" additional characters/ main account profile to put them at a risk, which will contribute to minimize the issue without putting the entire playerbase at a security risk. Trial accounts could of also been limited to specific utilization of the technical forum until the account is tied to a cd key for full forum access.

That's already in place.

Squelching a character on the forums already hides all of the accounts' posts.

And trial accounts can't access the forums.

k0r3aN_pR1d3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#35 k0r3aN_pR1d3
Member since 2005 • 2148 Posts
What's sadder is that some men are uncontrollable when they see a female. They must not have mom's in their lives or something.
Avatar image for smokeydabear076
smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 smokeydabear076
Member since 2004 • 22109 Posts

This is stupid, sure you can use a fake name, but it should be a choice regardless.

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

This may be the worst idea ever. Seriously, what are they thinking? I guess they're assuming that Generation Facebook, who already post every intimate and inanely mundane detail about their lives on the interwebz, won't much care that their privacy is being infringed.

Who needs Big Brother when the kids are giving it away for free?

Avatar image for deactivated-5fae21e61a964
deactivated-5fae21e61a964

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-5fae21e61a964
Member since 2005 • 765 Posts

They might as well include birth dates too and deny any accusations of handing out social security numbers.

Seriously, though, this ruins anonymity -- even if it is a dead concept nowadays with the software available to users.

Solar-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Solar-X
Member since 2010 • 510 Posts

I think Blizzard are losing the plot. You can't force people to show private details of themselves on a forum. You might as well not have forums at all.

I was on PSN earlier on today, and some guy was talking crap down his mic.. What should Sony do, force players to have their address show in their profile if they use a mic.

Blizzard are idiots.

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 N30F3N1X

I see a Steam deja vu.

I guess we can just wait and see.

StopThePresses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 StopThePresses

I see a Steam deja vu.

N30F3N1X

I didn't even know Steam ever did that. Not being a fan of first person shooters, I haven't been using it as long as a lot of people.

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 N30F3N1X

[QUOTE="N30F3N1X"]

I see a Steam deja vu.

StopThePresses

I didn't even know Steam ever did that. Not being a fan of first person shooters, I haven't been using it as long as a lot of people.

By "Steam deja vu" I mean all the hate that Steam got in the beginning, and all the love that it's receiving now.

People whining about the removal of a layer of anonimity are people who are scared of responsability. Which I usually call kids.

Responsability will force people to play properly as mature as they can, not as trolls who go afk while playing with others without saying anything, trashtalk and harass others, or in general stir some commotion just for fun.

Worrying about personal information leaks is a remote fantasy that people uses to bash Blizzard with no consistency whatsoever. And it shows.

Avatar image for smokeydabear076
smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 smokeydabear076
Member since 2004 • 22109 Posts

[QUOTE="StopThePresses"]

[QUOTE="N30F3N1X"]

I see a Steam deja vu.

N30F3N1X

By "Steam deja vu" I mean all the hate that Steam got in the beginning, and all the love that it's receiving now.

People whining about the removal of a layer of anonimity are people who are scared of responsability. Which I usually call kids.

Responsability will force people to play properly as mature as they can, not as trolls who go afk while playing with others without saying anything, trashtalk and harass others, or in general stir some commotion just for fun.

Worrying about personal information leaks is a remote fantasy that people uses to bash Blizzard with no consistency whatsoever. And it shows.

I don't see this stopping "kids" from making fake names and doing the same old stuff. What good does knowing people's real name do anyway? "Oh that's the guy who said something mean... well now that we know his real name he'll have to take responsibility for his actions! Somehow...:lol: "

StopThePresses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 StopThePresses

[QUOTE="StopThePresses"]

[QUOTE="N30F3N1X"]

I see a Steam deja vu.

N30F3N1X

People go AFK while playing...in the forums? Because as far as I know this is for the forums, not the game itself.

People have been fired from jobs over things they have said online. In fact, it just happened with that guy who made that video mocking iPhone buyers.

Plenty of people have been stalked over the internet. Hell, I know people that have been stalked over the internet, and we're talking about a game that is obviously going to have a lot of minors playing as well. The simple solution is for Blizzard to only allow people with a game to create a forum account (which I thought they already did), and then just ban a CD key from the forums if someone gets out of hand. I don't understand why this is necessary at all. Maybe they just want most people to either register with fake names and / or to not bother with their forums at all, because that seems like that is what the inevitable result is going to be.

Oh, and, supposing we really were talking about the game itself, let's not forget about crazies like this.

KalDurenik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 KalDurenik

Like i said before. I dont care there are probably 1000+ people on the internet that i have given out my name to. But oh well. On another note. If you play on the NA servers then you cant change name (not sure how it is in EU) without sending in legal documents that you have changed your name to that. In other words you cant change your name :P

StopThePresses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 StopThePresses

Like i said before. I dont care there are probably 1000+ people on the internet that i have given out my name to. But oh well. On another note. If you play on the NA servers then you cant change name (not sure how it is in EU) without sending in legal documents that you have changed your name to that. In other words you cant change your name :P

KalDurenik

...which is why people will put in a fake one in the first place. I guess they're banking on the fact that a lot of people won't know about it until they've already registered.

I think everyone should just register as "John Smith." That would be pretty funny. What are they going to do, ask everyone to submit identification to prove they are really a John Smith? :lol:

(By the way, what's your name? :P )

KalDurenik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 KalDurenik

Honestly i dont care. I feel sorry for girls or people with not so unique names.

But after looking at their forum and in US there is a 860 something pages big topic about this. Im going to be shocked if blizzard decide to keep it around.

However: I knew it would endup with dumb and stupid things when Activison is pulling the strings.

BLaZe462

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 BLaZe462
Member since 2002 • 1432 Posts

doesn't bother me either

Avatar image for charmingcharlie
charmingcharlie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 charmingcharlie
Member since 2006 • 1244 Posts

It looks like Activision and Blizzard have a very big dose of egg on their faces over this real id rubbish. A community mod the other day posted his real name in a forum post to demonstrate how people's fears are totally unfounded (anyone see where this is going ?) Needless to say within 20 minutes they knew more about the community mod than he knew about himself. By the end of the day people knew his address, phone number, age, preferences, the name of his wife, the name of the guy they were renting a room too and they even knew the school his kids went too along with photos of his house thanks to google map view.

As you can imagine this scared the hell out of Blizzard and they have now dumped the real id name :-

http://www.incgamers.com/News/23914/blizzard-buckles-on-real-id

All I can think to say is Blizzard must be full of plonkers for even thinking the real id thing was a good idea in the first place.