Blizzard acquires diablo3.com !

This topic is locked from further discussion.

muaka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 muaka
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

Check it out:

www.diablo3.com

Woot!!

Noldorin2646

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Noldorin2646
Member since 2007 • 641 Posts
Let's hope it's out before 2013, but that would be a bit optimistic.
Swiftstrike5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#3 Swiftstrike5
Member since 2005 • 6950 Posts

Let's hope it's out before 2013, but that would be a bit optimistic.Noldorin2646

Seems way too optimisitc. They still have to milk SC2 with expansions and WoW is still racking in the cash. You think they could be working on multiple games with how much they make.

Nes705

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Nes705
Member since 2004 • 222 Posts

woot Diablo 3

Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 Johnny_Rock
Member since 2002 • 40314 Posts

[QUOTE="Noldorin2646"]Let's hope it's out before 2013, but that would be a bit optimistic.Swiftstrike5

Seems way too optimisitc. They still have to milk SC2 with expansions and WoW is still racking in the cash. You think they could be working on multiple games with how much they make.

SC2 doesn't necessarily have the same playerbase that D3 would have. I can see them releasing them within a years time.

fatshodan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 fatshodan
Member since 2008 • 2886 Posts

2012-14 is likely, I'd say.

While I think D3 is definitely coming, Blizzard getting diablo3.com means nothing. They should have never not had the domain to begin with, whether Diablo 3 is coming or not.

thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts
Well, I'm not surprise.
Noldorin2646

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Noldorin2646
Member since 2007 • 641 Posts

2013-15 is more likely, I'd say.

While I think D3 is definitely coming, Blizzard getting diablo3.com means nothing. They should have never not had the domain to begin with, whether Diablo 3 is coming or not.

fatshodan

This is kinda off-topic, but I must say, your sig is the funniest thing I came across today. Thanks.

Avatar image for smokeydabear076
smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 smokeydabear076
Member since 2004 • 22109 Posts

[QUOTE="Noldorin2646"]Let's hope it's out before 2013, but that would be a bit optimistic.Swiftstrike5

Well they were working on Starcraft 2 for 4 years before it was revealed. I wouldn't be surprised if they are working on Diablo 3 right now.
muaka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 muaka

fatshodan

What??

Please read:

http://www.diabloii.net/wiki/Diablo_3

Mark my words: Diablo3 will be announced on June 29.

fatshodan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 fatshodan
[QUOTE="fatshodan"]

muaka

What??

Please read:

http://www.diabloii.net/wiki/Diablo_3

Mark my words: Diablo3 will be announced on July 29.

Announcement != release, and, personally, I'm not sure Blizzard will want to shift attention away from StarCraft 2. I'm not saying they won't announce it soon, but it is rare that companies make multiple big announcements within a short space of time - they like to keep attention focused on a particular product as much as possible, before moving onto the next.

Tuzolord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#12 Tuzolord
Member since 2007 • 1409 Posts
Its most likely that in the case Diablo 3 get announced that they are already working on it for over a year now. Because over a year ago they were already working on a unknown Project (besides SC2).
muaka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 muaka

Fatshodan, when did Blizzard EVER announced a game that wasn'talready in development?

Diablo3.com was a fan site since 2000. It didnt bother blizzard for 8 years. Suddenly (after buying many diablo-related domains) they want Diablo3.com - how can you not see the connection?

Plus, the Blizzard Worldwide Invitational is taking place on the same day that D2 + LOD were released. (June 29)

As for staying focused on one or two products,(WOW expansion + SC2) I think they have more than enough money, and can hire as many people as they want/need.

Besides, have you seen they job listing in the past few years? They ARE working on unannounced games. (AKA "Next Gen MMO" + a console game)

Please read the link I posted before - D3 has already been scraped once and its been in the works again since late 2003/early 2004.

janti_hakouz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 janti_hakouz
Member since 2004 • 3190 Posts

That is the best news I've heard this year!

Thanks!

fatshodan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 fatshodan

Fatshodan, when did Blizzard EVER announced a game that wasn'talready in development?

Diablo3.com was a fan site since 2000. It didnt bother blizzard for 8 years. Suddenly (after buying many diablo-related domains) they want Diablo3.com - how can you not see the connection?

Plus, the Blizzard Worldwide Invitational is taking place on the same day that D2 + LOD were released. (June 29)muaka

Who said anything about it not being in development? - because I sure didn't. I just said that an announcement is not the same as a release. They could announce it today, and may have been working on it for years, but that doesn't mean it won't be out for quite a while.

Maybe my upper end estimate was a little too high, but thinking it's coming next year, or probably even the year after, is wishful thinking. A tentative 2010-11 perhaps, before the numerous delays are taken into consideration. And those numerous delays could be considerble.

I am absolutely positive that Diablo 3 is in development, I just don't see it coming any time soon. Blizzard will want a total hype storm surrounding StarCraft II, and they will want a total hype storm surrounding Diablo 3... it wouldn't be in the best interest of either game for those storms to converge.

Licazinha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 Licazinha
Member since 2005 • 110 Posts
Actually it's rumored they've been working on Diablo III since 2004-5. Before that they'd come as far as writing the game and starting to produce it, but midway they've decided to re write it. It might even be due 2009-10 as far as we know.
Daytona_178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 Daytona_178
Member since 2005 • 14962 Posts
Its a good sign! :D
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts

Plus, the Blizzard Worldwide Invitational is taking place on the same day that D2 + LOD were released. (June 29)

As for staying focused on one or two products,(WOW expansion + SC2) I think they have more than enough money, and can hire as many people as they want/need.

Besides, have you seen they job listing in the past few years? They ARE working on unannounced games. (AKA "Next Gen MMO" + a console game)

Please read the link I posted before - D3 has already been scraped once and its been in the works again since late 2003/early 2004.

muaka

The "Next Gen MMO" has nothing to do with Diablo, there have been leaks of it, but not much is known, only that it is not diablo, it might even be the future expansion for WoW, but no Diablo.

Yeah there is some information of it being in the works since they finished Diablo 2 LOD and they were not satisfied with their final product and started the to remake almost all of it but that only means it will be an even better product :).

SpaceMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SpaceMoose
Member since 2004 • 10789 Posts

Frankly, I was surprised that they didn't have it years ago, along with maybe 4, 5, and 6...

Anyway, I have read some things to the effect that Diablo 3 has already been well under production for some time (and remember, that was the case with Starcraft 2 when they announced it). Supposedly the game (or at least part of it) actually takes place in Heaven, which is sort of being overrun by Hell.

In the meantime, I guess there will be Mythos.

df853

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 df853
Member since 2004 • 1433 Posts
When they announce it, that means it will be out in another 80 years. When they announced Diablo II they waited forever to actually release it. I predict Diablo III will come out in 2063 at which point I will be dead. Hmmmm, I need to find a way to stay alive long enough to buy this game. Anyone have any ideas?
ct1615

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#21 ct1615
Member since 2004 • 733 Posts

fatshodan

agreed, im shocked they did not buy diablothree.com also. It's just a smart business move by them that they should have done already, means nothing about the game but lets hope for the best.

SpaceMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SpaceMoose

When they announce it, that means it will be out in another 80 years. When they announced Diablo II they waited forever to actually release it. I predict Diablo III will come out in 2063 at which point I will be dead. Hmmmm, I need to find a way to stay alive long enough to buy this game. Anyone have any ideas?df853

Blizzard seems to have developed a new policy of not announcing games until they are further along in the development cycle (apparently to avoid exactly that kind of situation), but then again, it remains to be seen when Starcraft 2 will actually be out.

I also think it's rather unlikely they will announce whatever else they are working on until a while after Starcraft 2 comes out.

Rylsadar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Rylsadar
Member since 2007 • 541 Posts

"Blizzard" is just a bunch of bastards...

Who the hell cares about another "Diablo"?!

SpaceMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 SpaceMoose

Rylsadar

A bunch of bastards? What? Did they win too many Game of the Year awards for you or something?

Anyway, a damn lot of people care about another Diablo.

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

Rylsadar

I can't tell if you're being serious or not but...I couldn't care less about Diablo 3. I couldn't stand 1 or 2 so 3 holds no sway over me. I really don't get people's fascination with these games. I found them extremely tedious and boring. Click, click, click, click...Is this supposed to be fun? Blizzard is SO overrated. They recycle the same two games over and over but I guess people eat this stuff up.

SpaceMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SpaceMoose
[QUOTE="Rylsadar"]

-wildflower-

I can't tell if you're being serious or not but...I couldn't care less about Diablo 3. I couldn't stand 1 or 2 so 3 holds no sway over me. I really don't get people's fascination with these games. I found them extremely tedious and boring. Click, click, click, click...Is this supposed to be fun? Blizzard is SO overrated. They recycle the same two games over and over but I guess people eat this stuff up.

Actually, I agree that the first one was kind of boring. The second one took a while to get into, but I wasted many hours on that game. Of course, I'm talking about online play. If you are playing it solo, then you definitely aren't getting the full experience, or even close to it IMO.

KillOBKilled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27 KillOBKilled
Member since 2008 • 231 Posts
[QUOTE="Rylsadar"]

-wildflower-

To further the wound, I've not had, nor have my friends had, a single interaction with Blizzard's customer service department that ended well. I think in the end their success has made them the "bastards" some people think they are today. In addition I really wish, like -wildflower- said they would attempt a few original titles some time soon, but of course they can't jepordize SC2, even though people have been waiting for it for at least 10 years...

I love most of what Blizzard has done, I just had to blow off some steam about what they'be been doing lately:P

Rylsadar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Rylsadar
Member since 2007 • 541 Posts

This is completely outrageous!

-Westwood Studios

-Kalisto Entertainment

-3DO

-Troika Games

-Interplay Entertainment

-Black Isle Studios

-Bethesda Software

-Origin

All these companies mentioned previously are dead,but "Blizzard" is still alive?!

C'mon people what the hell is going on in our platform?!

SpaceMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 SpaceMoose

-Westwood Studios

-Kalisto Entertainment

-3DO

-Troika Games

-Interplay Entertainment

-Black Isle Studios

-Bethesda Software

-Origin

All these companies mentioned previously are dead,but "Blizzard" is still alive?!

Rylsadar

You killed your argument with 3DO. Actually, you tied it up and ripped out its heart to sacrifice to some cruel god of suckiness.

It's rather simple really, you see. Every game Blizzard puts out is critically acclaimed by not just a few sources, but practically every major publication, often winning multiple game of the year awards from different sources, and every game they put out is a best-seller. And of course now one of said games is one with a monthy subscription, so they are practically printing money.

ct1615

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#30 ct1615
Member since 2004 • 733 Posts

-Westwood Studios

-Kalisto Entertainment

-3DO

-Troika Games

-Interplay Entertainment

-Black Isle Studios

-Bethesda Software

-Origin

Rylsadar

wait! you where stating how piracy is not a bad thing and how you refuse to pay for new games when you can pirate them. now you you have the nerve to complain about developers going out of business???

df853

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 df853
Member since 2004 • 1433 Posts
[QUOTE="-wildflower-"][QUOTE="Rylsadar"]

SpaceMoose

Actually, I agree that the first one was kind of boring. The second one took a while to get into, but I wasted many hours on that game. Of course, I'm talking about online play. If you are playing it solo, then you definitely aren't getting the full experience, or even close to it IMO.

Yeah, it did get boring after a while. I only played it so long because I could sell virtual items on ebay for non-virtual money. Then when the market flooded I quit playing.

CrazyFox_444

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 CrazyFox_444
Member since 2005 • 664 Posts

great news

SpaceMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 SpaceMoose

Yeah, it did get boring after a while. I only played it so long because I could sell virtual items on ebay for non-virtual money. Then when the market flooded I quit playing.

df853

Wait, you sold virtual items for the first one on ebay, where all of the data was stored locally? Because that's the one I said was boring. If you did, that is epic :lol:.

KillOBKilled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#34 KillOBKilled
Member since 2008 • 231 Posts

Every game Blizzard puts out is critically acclaimed by not just a few sources, but practically every major publication, often winning multiple game of the year awards from different sources, and every game they put out is a best-seller.

SpaceMoose

I think you hit the nail on the head with why Blizzard is still around. Since they're put out so many successful games, every magazine and writer in the gaming industry is willing to review and pay homage to anything they do just to make themselves look better, rather than the other way around, which is how it's supposed to work!

SpaceMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 SpaceMoose

I think you hit the nail on the head with why Blizzard is still around. Since they're put out so many successful games, every magazine and writer in the gaming industry is willing to review and pay homage to anything they do just to make themselves look better, rather than the other way around, which is how it's supposed to work!

KillOBKilled

Yeah, that's why Blizzard is still around. It's not because every title they have put out since Warcraft 2 is a AAA game, and they refuse to release anything if they feel it won't be. It's not because they design their games for a mass market and not quite such a niche one as the target audience of a game like Fallout. They put Starcraft: Ghost on indefinite hold supposedly because it wasn't living up to their standards. They could have just realeased it and it would have sold tons even if was merely mediocre. They take their good old sweet time releasing games, and it invariably shows in the results. I do hope you're being sarcastic.

Now whether they will maintain their huge quality standards after the ocean of money they are swimming in from World of Warcraft remains to be seen, especially now that a lot of the old Blizzard people are gone, but until they release a game that does not suck away a significant portion of my gaming time after its release, I have to believe they probably will.

Licazinha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#36 Licazinha
Member since 2005 • 110 Posts
[QUOTE="KillOBKilled"]

SpaceMoose

Yeah, that's why Blizzard is still around. It's not because every title they have put out since Warcraft 2 is a AAA game, and they refuse to release anything if they feel it won't be. It's not because they design their games for a mass market and not quite such a niche one as the target audience of a game like Fallout. They put Starcraft: Ghost on indefinite hold supposedly because it wasn't living up to their standards. They could have just realeased it and it would have sold tons even if was merely mediocre. They take their good old sweet time releasing games, and it invariably shows in the results. I do hope you're being sarcastic.

Now whether they will maintain their huge quality standards after the ocean of money they are swimming in from World of Warcraft remains to be seen, especially now that a lot of the old Blizzard people are gone, but until they release a game that does not suck away a significant portion of my gaming time after its release, I have to believe they probably will.

Exactly.