BioWare hates and censors hom0sexuality, makes an ass of itself (TOR related)

• 94 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

BioWare has banned users of the Knights of the Old Republic forum from discussing the subject of homosexuality.

Some threads had been set up discussing the potential issues around gay relationships within the game. The threads have since been locked, and the words "homosexual", "lesbian" and gay are censored on the forum.

Even discussions of the ban are being locked. At the bottom of the thread "GLBT discrimination in forums?", community manager Sean Dahlberg wrote, "As I have stated before, these are terms that do not exist in Star Wars. Thread closed."

You sure about all this, Sean? Only there was a lesbian character in one of BioWare's very own games, according to GayGamer.net.

Since this news was posted on Eurogamer, they reopened the thread:lol:

Epic fail.

sauce

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#2 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts

One reason I could see closing the threads would be to keep out potential bashing & flaming.

That aside, I do find it a bit odd, considering if you're running a female Commander Shepard in Mass Effect, you could choose a romance with Liara.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
Hurm. not a good way to deal with things...
Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
Well such topics do tend to turn into a flame fest whenever Homosexuality is the topic, I seen countless topics like that in the OT forum. Still you should be able to discuss it but if flaming occurs then locking a topic should be done.
Fandangle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 Fandangle
Member since 2003 • 3433 Posts

Seems a bit heavy handed for Bioware

Born_Lucky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Born_Lucky
Member since 2003 • 1730 Posts
I think you have to take kids into account. Around 90% of the world's parents teach their kids that homosexuality is immoral/unnatural. Not just religious people either - Charles Darwin said that evolution would eventually put an end to homosexuality, since it provides no benefit to the species, and would actually be harmful if it ever grew beyond the 2% rate .
Fandangle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Fandangle
Member since 2003 • 3433 Posts

I think you have to take kids into account. Around 90% of the world's parents teach their kids that homosexuality is immoral/unnatural. Not just religious people either - Charles Darwin said that evolution would eventually put an end to homosexuality, since it provides no benefit to the species, and would actually be harmful if it ever grew beyond the 2% rate . Born_Lucky

And around 90% of all percentages are made up

robin35921

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 robin35921
Member since 2006 • 67 Posts

[QUOTE="Born_Lucky"]I think you have to take kids into account. Around 90% of the world's parents teach their kids that homosexuality is immoral/unnatural. Not just religious people either - Charles Darwin said that evolution would eventually put an end to homosexuality, since it provides no benefit to the species, and would actually be harmful if it ever grew beyond the 2% rate . Fandangle

And around 90% of all percentages are made up

hehehe comment of the day for me +1

rmfd341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9 rmfd341
Member since 2008 • 3808 Posts

One reason I could see closing the threads would be to keep out potential bashing & flaming.

That aside, I do find it a bit odd, considering if you're running a female Commander Shepard in Mass Effect, you could choose a romance with Liara.

topsemag55
Still need to try that out...
mr_mozilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mr_mozilla
Member since 2006 • 2381 Posts
The whole site seems to be down so can't see the thread, but a very weak move, unless there's bashing or racism I see nothing wrong in discussing it especially when their own games have similar themes. Didn't know btw that you can romance Juhani, gotta try that next time I'll play ..with a different skin for her...
dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 dnuggs40
Member since 2003 • 10484 Posts

It's a video game forum, that kind of stuff doesn't need to be discussed there and they obviously don't want it on their site. It's also their forum, and they make up the rules. Nice that they opened it again, but they didn't have to nor do they have to justify closing it down in the first place.

LTZH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#13 LTZH
Member since 2003 • 2704 Posts
Bioware makes their games their way, if they don't want to put homo stuff in there, good. If they don't want people to talk about it in their game's forums, good. If you believe they should change that based on your moral/political views, send them a letter.
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58494 Posts

Hey, its their website.

Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Baranga

It's a video game forum, that kind of stuff doesn't need to be discussed there and they obviously don't want it on their site. It's also their forum, and they make up the rules. Nice that they opened it again, but they didn't have to nor do they have to justify closing it down in the first place.

dnuggs40

Bioware makes their games their way, if they don't want to put homo stuff in there, good. If they don't want people to talk about it in their game's forums, good. If you believe they should change that based on your moral/political views, send them a letter.LTZH

Please explain what's wrong in discussing potential homosexual characters and relations in a story-heavy game.

Instead of saying "well we haven't planned such a character", they:

- ban people discussing this

- ban the words from their forum (they allowed them earlier this day, after the Eurogamer post); why the hell does Gamespot ban them from the thread titles anyway?

- close the threads

- claim that homosexuality doesn't exist in the Star Wars universe, despite the fact that KOTOR featured such a character

I'm not gay but this stuff is 100% stupid.

mirgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mirgamer
Member since 2003 • 2489 Posts
Its pretty obvious that they are trying to discourage/prevent the the whole flamefest thats usually results from such topics and not really related to Biowares stance regarding sexuality. As usual, the PC crowd are over-reacting over nothing.
Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Baranga

You discourage flaming by keeping an eye on the thread and having a mod post something to make everybody know this, not by censoring.

dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 dnuggs40

It's not, it's a video game forum and a large portion of their players are kids. It's their discretion that those types of conversations are inappropriate and against the nature of their forum. If they eventually reconsidered, good on them, but they don't have to.

Its pretty obvious that they are trying to discourage/prevent the the whole flamefest thats usually results from such topics and not really related to Biowares stance regarding sexuality.

As usual, the PC crowd are over-reacting over nothing. mirgamer

This too. The pc gaming community has some of the most over-reactional people on the face of the planet. Everything is stupid, dumb, trash, ect ect ect. All developers are liars and cheats, and are out to steal our money. And they are also out to "censor" us and infringe on our liberties lol.

mirgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mirgamer
Its their forums, their rules. You cant expect everyone to bend their standards around your expectations.
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#20 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58494 Posts

[QUOTE="dnuggs40"]

Baranga

Bioware makes their games their way, if they don't want to put homo stuff in there, good. If they don't want people to talk about it in their game's forums, good. If you believe they should change that based on your moral/political views, send them a letter.LTZH

Please explain what's wrong in discussing potential homosexual characters and relations in a story-heavy game.

- ban the words from their forum (they allowed them earlier this day, after the Eurogamer post); why the hell does Gamespot ban them from the thread titles anyway?

- close the threads

- claim that homosexuality doesn't exist in the Star Wars universe, despite the fact that KOTOR featured such a character

people play games to get away from real life for a few hours, to enter another world.

Most people are heterosexual, and even if they support same-sex rights, they might find all this crap in the news and society a little tiring at times.If their release is video gaming, they dont want to be reminded of it, especially in something epic-yet-light-hearted as Star Wars.

So, while I understand why they want to mod their forums, I find their actions a bit excessive. They should not have banned people, they should have just made the policy.

And no, KOTOR did not have a gay character. Why cant someone love someone of the same sex like a sister or brother? Did that thought ever occur to gaygamer website? No, because they likely grasp for any straw even hinting at the possibility of homosexuality.

I will say this though: does anyone find it ironic that in Mass Effect, as a female character, you could hookup with another "female" character? Yes, I know the Asari are made up of a single sex, but the simple fact is that it looked and was girl-on-girl action.

OoSuperMarioO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 OoSuperMarioO
Member since 2005 • 6539 Posts

[QUOTE="Baranga"]

[QUOTE="dnuggs40"]

[QUOTE="LTZH"]Bioware makes their games their way, if they don't want to put homo stuff in there, good. If they don't want people to talk about it in their game's forums, good. If you believe they should change that based on your moral/political views, send them a letter.mrbojangles25

- close the threads

people play games to get away from real life for a few hours, to enter another world.

Most people are heterosexual, and even if they support same-sex rights, they might find all this crap in the news and society a little tiring at times.If their release is video gaming, they dont want to be reminded of it, especially in something epic-yet-light-hearted as Star Wars.

So, while I understand why they want to mod their forums, I find their actions a bit excessive. They should not have banned people, they should have just made the policy.

And no, KOTOR did not have a gay character. Why cant someone love someone of the same sex like a sister or brother? Did that thought ever occur to gaygamer website? No, because they likely grasp for any straw even hinting at the possibility of homosexuality.

I will say this though: does anyone find it ironic that in Mass Effect, as a female character, you could hookup with another "female" character? Yes, I know the Asari are made up of a single sex, but the simple fact is that it looked and was girl-on-girl action.

Must we really have to bring this up or try to justify immature behavior on a Star Wars section? It was inappropriate for them to discuss such sexuality on their video game forum, granted their audience ranges from young to older people. Uncontrollable immaturity is one of the major reasons I don't visit the GameTrailers forums at all, just complete rubbish. It's like visiting a Pixar forum to see sexuality topics on Toy Story or Nemo, it's simply not needed nor is it positive energy. Eminently admire Bioware's instant intent on such a topic discussion.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#22 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

They are just trying to stop bringing the whole gay arguments into their boards. It can get rather nasty.

ttomm1946

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ttomm1946
Member since 2004 • 1871 Posts

Listen to Bojangles and Dnuggs........It's Biowares forum...their rules....And it's a game forum...Like this is supposed to be...!!:roll:

SerbWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#24 SerbWarrior
Member since 2009 • 459 Posts

This is all bull****,BioWare has always made great games,big deal if they locked a topic about homosexualism,it could be one moderator,not BioWare,in any case,BioWare ROCKS!

GPAddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#25 GPAddict
Member since 2005 • 5964 Posts

People are people
So why should it be
You and I should get along so awfully
People are people
So why should it be

So were different colours
And were different creeds
And different people
Have different needs
Its obvious you hate me
Though Ive done nothing wrong
Ive never even met you
So what could I have done
I cant understand
What makes a man
Hate another man
Help me understand
People are people
So why should it be
People are people
So why should it be
Help me understand
Help me understand

Now youre punching
And youre kicking
And youre shouting at me
And Im relying on your common decency
So far it hasnt surfaced
But Im sure it exists
It just takes a while to travel
From your head to your fist (head to your fists)
I cant understand what makes a man
Hate another man
Help me understand
People are people
So why should it be
People are people
So why should it be

I cant understand
What makes a man
Hate another man
Help me understand
I cant understand
What makes a man
Hate another man
Help me understand
I cant understand
What makes a man
Hate another man
I cant understand (people are people)
What makes a man (why should it be)
Hate another man
Help me understand...

vitriolboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 vitriolboy
Member since 2005 • 4356 Posts

Whether it's one mod or the policy of the forum the whole thing smacks of intolerance and fascism. Reminds me of when Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said gays don't exist in Iran!

Come to the Star Wars Gay Bar

dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 dnuggs40
Oh brother lol.
OoSuperMarioO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 OoSuperMarioO

People are people
So why should it be
People are people
So why should it be

And different people
Have different needs
Its obvious you hate me
Ive never even met you
I cant understand
What makes a man
Hate another man
Help me understand
People are people
So why should it be
People are people
So why should it be
Help me understand
Help me understand

Now youre punching
And youre kicking
And youre shouting at me
So far it hasnt surfaced
But Im sure it exists
Hate another man
Help me understand
People are people
So why should it be
People are people
So why should it be

I cant understand
What makes a man
Hate another man
Help me understand
I cant understand
What makes a man
Hate another man
Help me understand
I cant understand
What makes a man
Hate another man
Hate another man
Help me understand...

GPAddict

Tolerance, depression, apprehensive and many more. Humans are quite unpredictable. To certain perspectives, psychologically life can be very depressing if one doesn't have something to believe in, goals, hobbies ect. However in this case, a topic on sexuality is not needed on a video game forum where the audience varies from kids to adults buds.

LordImperius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 LordImperius
Member since 2007 • 60 Posts

Just because Bioware bans those words or censores that subject does not mean they're homo haters, obviously because of the lesbian scenes in Mass Effect. Mass Effect is rated M for mature, isn't Star Wars rated T for Teen? Homosexuality is not a subject for children to be playing around with in video games...Thats just my opinion and obviously Bioware's as well.

Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Baranga

Yes, but they could have been POLITE. Is this too much to ask for? Why hit'em with the banhammer?

Because teens are not allowed to see homosexuals? What kind of crap is this?

And KOTOR had a gay character, I linked it in the first post.

stike22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 stike22
Member since 2009 • 3401 Posts
again :lol:
wurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#32 wurd
Member since 2003 • 634 Posts

Just because Bioware bans those words or censores that subject does not mean they're homo haters, obviously because of the lesbian scenes in Mass Effect. Mass Effect is rated M for mature, isn't Star Wars rated T for Teen? Homosexuality is not a subject for children to be playing around with in video games...Thats just my opinion and obviously Bioware's as well.

LordImperius
I'm sorry. That's a ridiculous comment and clearly shows your predujices along with most others against homosexuality. Homosexuality is no different than hetrosexuality and if a scene shows a male/female kiss why not a female/female kiss? The only people who find this offensive are the small minded human beings who have no tolerance to anything other than what they've been told to accept by society. Obviously in a childs game you don't want too much sexual content but with games like Fable2 or Sims that is aimed towards the younger market then these days it's unavoidable and personally I salute these games for taking that step. Back to the main issue though I feel this is more to do with flaming on the forum and over zealous forum moderators and not Bioware over-reacting to juvenile comments.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f0340ca5ecca
deactivated-5f0340ca5ecca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#33 deactivated-5f0340ca5ecca
Member since 2005 • 1890 Posts
They perhaps don't want to have to deal with frustrated parents complaining about young teens "experimenting" with the same gender ... By censoring these words etc... the frustrated parents cannot blame Bioware .
pilouuuu2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#34 pilouuuu2004
Member since 2004 • 1075 Posts
It probably not a decision of Bioware, but from those ******* from Lucasarts. Really I can't have anymore Lucasarts these days. They used to be such great developers. Now all they do is crappy Star Wars games. Bioware is cool, they are intelligent, their games are pure quality, have great plots... If it wasn't for Bioware we would never had such a great Star Wars game like KOTOR. Sadly now they took the strange path of making a MMO which is a mistake in my humble opinion. And I think it is the real reason we should we be worried about. I don't care if there are homosexuals or not if the game is crap. Now in case it is any good I don't think they will prevent homo relationship. Heck, even The Sims has homosexuals and it's a Teen rated game! Mass Effect from Bioware had the option for a lesbian relationship. If there's anything wrong in TOR it's a fault of Lucasarts, not Bioware.
BlueBirdTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#35 BlueBirdTS
Member since 2005 • 6403 Posts

I am very liberal when it comes to social issues such as homosexuality and believe that it is primarily caused by biological factors (we're studying this right now in my anatomy class actually), but it's a touchy subject for a lot of people. There are many who still believe that homosexuality is morally "wrong" and a voluntary decision. I don't think Bioware should have censored this discussion since I'm all for freedom of speech, but I understand why they would do so. On internet forums, discussions about homosexuality almost always result in flame wars. Besides, it's their website, they can do as they please with it.

OoSuperMarioO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 OoSuperMarioO

Yes, but they could have been POLITE. Is this too much to ask for? Why hit'em with the banhammer?

Because teens are not allowed to see homosexuals? What kind of crap is this?

And KOTOR had a gay character, I linked it in the first post.

Baranga

Even if it was a topic on traditional sex, those guy would still get ban for discussing something that should not be apparent on a game forum. Numerous guys on this board were ban because of a similar issue about sexual themes evident in their sigs, post ect.

nmaharg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 nmaharg
Member since 2004 • 3285 Posts

Good, their is nothing to like about it.

mirgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 mirgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 100000
Member since 2003 • 549 Posts
It's a video game forum. Gay marriage and other issues related to homosexuality are highly controversial and are topics that should be avoided at all costs if possible. Also it just "happens to be" that on the internet gay is a word that is sometimes in a derogatory way. I really do not want to see LGBT fanatics voicing their opinion when they start seeing gay used in a derogatory form on the website when they just finished lifting the filter on it. It's not discrimination, at all, it is just an attempt at keeping things civil. If you read the thread where they mentioned the lift of the ban, things quickly went downward when the ban was lifted. Once again, I repeat. It's a video game forum. They could ban Jesus from the official KOTOR forums and I wouldn't care less (and yes, I'm a Christian).
adrake4183

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 adrake4183
Member since 2006 • 668 Posts
Clearly Bioware never saw episode 1 and Jar-Jar Binks. If they had they would know the star wars universe can be very very gay :)
schu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 schu
Member since 2003 • 10191 Posts

[QUOTE="GPAddict"]

People are people
So why should it be
People are people
So why should it be

And different people
Have different needs
Its obvious you hate me
Ive never even met you
I cant understand
What makes a man
Hate another man
Help me understand
People are people
So why should it be
People are people
So why should it be
Help me understand
Help me understand

Now youre punching
And youre kicking
And youre shouting at me
So far it hasnt surfaced
But Im sure it exists
Hate another man
Help me understand
People are people
So why should it be
People are people
So why should it be

I cant understand
What makes a man
Hate another man
Help me understand
I cant understand
What makes a man
Hate another man
Help me understand
I cant understand
What makes a man
Hate another man
Hate another man
Help me understand...

OoSuperMarioO

Tolerance, depression, apprehensive and many more. Humans are quite unpredictable. To certain perspectives, psychologically life can be very depressing if one doesn't have something to believe in, goals, hobbies ect. However in this case, a topic on sexuality is not needed on a video game forum where the audience varies from kids to adults buds.

Give me a break. Whats the problem? Only bigots have a problem with homosexuality being discussed. If it bothers you so much to hear that someone likes the same sex, I suggest you get off the internet quick because it ain't going away. I assume you aren't new to the internet.
Bumzur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Bumzur
Member since 2009 • 560 Posts
Bioware can do whatever they want. It's their forums and their developments.
Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Baranga

Bioware can do whatever they want. It's their forums and their developments.Bumzur

Sure, I'll ban all discussions about mudkips and Jews when I'll make my own forum. I mean, nothing's wrong with that, innit?

Anyway, the evil community manager apologised and removed the words from the filter list.

"My intention was not to demean anyone but simply to help promote a community that could discuss topics in a mature fashion," he wrote.

"When I first built the word filter list, I added a variety of terms to the word filter that have been used numerous times in derogatory messaging. There were some words added to the filter that should not have been."

Dahlberg went on to say there was "never any intent to limit discussion", but conceded, "I have overstepped my boundaries in my original statement and I sincerely apologise for doing so."

Fin.

And Penny Arcade made a comic strip about this:lol:

OoSuperMarioO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 OoSuperMarioO

[QUOTE="OoSuperMarioO"]

[QUOTE="GPAddict"]

People are people
So why should it be
People are people
So why should it be

And different people
Have different needs
Its obvious you hate me
Ive never even met you
I cant understand
What makes a man
Hate another man
Help me understand
People are people
So why should it be
People are people
So why should it be
Help me understand
Help me understand

Now youre punching
And youre kicking
And youre shouting at me
So far it hasnt surfaced
But Im sure it exists
Hate another man
Help me understand
People are people
So why should it be
People are people
So why should it be

I cant understand
What makes a man
Hate another man
Help me understand
I cant understand
What makes a man
Hate another man
Help me understand
I cant understand
What makes a man
Hate another man
Hate another man
Help me understand...

schu

Give me a break. Whats the problem? Only bigots have a problem with homosexuality being discussed. If it bothers you so much to hear that someone likes the same sex, I suggest you get off the internet quick because it ain't going away. I assume you aren't new to the internet.

Not once did I mention I despise a certain group. If certain sexuality's is your choice then whatever floats your boat, but the purpose of my replies are specifically about topics such as that are not needed on a video game forum. I stand by what I said, it's like going on a Shrek forum to see topics on sexuality, you have to understand that the audiences varies from adults to kids on those boards.

OoSuperMarioO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 OoSuperMarioO

[QUOTE="Bumzur"]Bioware can do whatever they want. It's their forums and their developments.Baranga

Sure, I'll ban all discussions about mudkips and Jews when I'll make my own forum. I mean, nothing's wrong with that, innit?

Anyway, the evil community manager apologised and removed the words from the filter list.

"My intention was not to demean anyone but simply to help promote a community that could discuss topics in a mature fashion," he wrote.

"When I first built the word filter list, I added a variety of terms to the word filter that have been used numerous times in derogatory messaging. There were some words added to the filter that should not have been."

Dahlberg went on to say there was "never any intent to limit discussion", but conceded, "I have overstepped my boundaries in my original statement and I sincerely apologise for doing so."

Fin.

And Penny Arcade made a comic strip about this:lol:

I find the mannerisms in your post to be really hysterical. It's clear you never heard of Policy Baranga.

Sammojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Sammojo
Member since 2007 • 967 Posts
I can understand them trying to stop this kind of discussion getting out of hand. Homosexuality isn't an easy issue to discuss because some people think it's immoral and other's don't. You can't really argue morals, that's why it ends in mess. How do we know that the user's who got banned didn't do something deserving of a ban?
leeveeu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#47 leeveeu
Member since 2003 • 3405 Posts
It's like saying: "if we don't talk about something it will go away. hush hush" :lol:
mirgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 mirgamer

[QUOTE="Bumzur"]Bioware can do whatever they want. It's their forums and their developments.Baranga

You go to a SW forums to talk about mudkips and Jews? :P

People should learn that internet is really srz biznes.

Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Baranga

[QUOTE="Baranga"]

OoSuperMarioO

I find the mannerisms in your post to be really hysterical. It's clear you never heard of Policy Baranga.

Hey, I've never heard of lesbian or bisexual being used as an insult. So their forum policy is just as wrong as my policy of banning mudkips and jews.

And about "oh it's a video game forum, such discussions don't have their place there", remember that Star Wars is not "just a video game", it's a well established and developed universe with an enormous fan base. Heck, many people say their religion is Jedi! TOR tries to capture this universe as well as it can, and the KOTOR games are part of the official canon. Seeing BioWare's past approach to sexuality in SW, and the fact that they confirmed you can develop romantic relationships with the AI partners, it's only logical that people will talk about such things. Banning them is like banning any discussion about Jews when you talk about WW2 just because it's a controversial subject.

The fact is they banned those terms completely out of context. Banning words that COULD be used in an offensive manner is stupid. Not the words are the problem, it's the people. When people use them in a derogatory fashion, punish them. Gamespot has harsh mods, System Wars is full of stupidity, but people learned their lesson and you don't see such insults, it's pretty much a PG-13 forum. Those guys over at the TOR forums didn't used these words to insult anyone when talking about this and they were banned.

Something I found regarding this little scandal...

Here is a metaphor:

A child has a toy, they enjoy it. A larger child comes and takes it from them, then enjoys beating the smaller child with it. An adult comes along and takes away the toy. Neither child is happy, but the adult gets some peace.

Here the adult seemingly tried to pre-empt the screaming match by just not giving the kids their toys.

Is this wrong? Yes, it's a cop out that does nothing to change or address the situation. The larger kid still likes beating the smaller one. Taking away the small childs favourite toy makes it seem he is being punished and merely forces the larger child to get more creative. (The small child as such starts crying and the large child starts taunting him... this metaphor is becoming more accurate than I had possibly imagined!)

What should the adult do? Seperate the children to punish the larger child, give the smaller child it's toy back, but prevent the small child from taunting the large child with it.

Can bioware do this? No. Videogame creators are not parental substitutes. The two sides of the argument may well be children though.

OoSuperMarioO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 OoSuperMarioO

[QUOTE="OoSuperMarioO"]

[QUOTE="Baranga"]

Baranga

Hey, I've never heard of lesbian or bisexual being used as an insult. So their forum policy is just as wrong as my policy of banning mudkips and jews.

And about "oh it's a video game forum, such discussions don't have their place there", remember that Star Wars is not "just a video game", it's a well established and developed universe with an enormous fan base. Heck, many people say their religion is Jedi! TOR tries to capture this universe as well as it can, and the KOTOR games are part of the official canon. Seeing BioWare's past approach to sexuality in SW, and the fact that they confirmed you can develop romantic relationships with the AI partners, it's only logical that people will talk about such things. Banning them is like banning any discussion about Jews when you talk about WW2 just because it's a controversial subject.

The fact is they banned those terms completely out of context. Banning words that COULD be used in an offensive manner is stupid. Not the words are the problem, it's the people. When people use them in a derogatory fashion, punish them. Gamespot has harsh mods, System Wars is full of stupidity, but people learned their lesson and you don't see such insults, it's pretty much a PG-13 forum. Those guys over at the TOR forums didn't used these words to insult anyone when talking about this and they were banned.

Something I found regarding this little scandal...

Here is a metaphor:

A child has a toy, they enjoy it. A larger child comes and takes it from them, then enjoys beating the smaller child with it. An adult comes along and takes away the toy. Neither child is happy, but the adult gets some peace.

Here the adult seemingly tried to pre-empt the screaming match by just not giving the kids their toys.

Is this wrong? Yes, it's a cop out that does nothing to change or address the situation. The larger kid still likes beating the smaller one. Taking away the small childs favourite toy makes it seem he is being punished and merely forces the larger child to get more creative. (The small child as such starts crying and the large child starts taunting him... this metaphor is becoming more accurate than I had possibly imagined!)

What should the adult do? Seperate the children to punish the larger child, give the smaller child it's toy back, but prevent the small child from taunting the large child with it.

Can bioware do this? No. Videogame creators are not parental substitutes. The two sides of the argument may well be children though.

lol... This is sarcasm?