bioware finally snaps.. swtor transitioning to F2P*??

• 60 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

well the omens have prooved right again it seems. swtor whas had a rough set of weeks and months and in a bid to attract new users swtor has begun a transition to f2p. now let me make it very clear its not f2p for everyone. instead they are doing what WoW has already done. it is now free to enjoy up to level 15

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/06/04/star-wars-the-old-republic-goes-free.aspx

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#2 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
No MMO should charge extra! Also, how long does it take to level up to 15 and what sort of combat does this game have??
IZoMBiEI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 IZoMBiEI
Member since 2002 • 6477 Posts

the servers are empty, it was only a matter of time.

dav2693

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 dav2693
Member since 2010 • 423 Posts

It was just matter of time muahaha ;)

EDIT:

the servers are empty, it was only a matter of time.

IZoMBiEI

^wtf dude

IZoMBiEI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 IZoMBiEI
Member since 2002 • 6477 Posts
No MMO should charge extra! Also, how long does it take to level up to 15 and what sort of combat does this game have?? biggest_loser
all the combat in the game is against group mobs except for the elites and bosses, so its very AOE focused. its super quick to level to 15, most likely can get it done the first day.
Sentinel112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Sentinel112
Member since 2006 • 571 Posts
Well since it will become free, I can always get a taste of it now. I am never paying money for a mmo.
-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#7 -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts

Good work Blizzard. You're awesome.

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

misleading title is misleading :D

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts
Is this considered F2P or just an extended Trial to level 15 ???
Darocy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Darocy
Member since 2011 • 141 Posts

Does this mean that anyone who plays F2P and wants to switch then they get the game for free?

Which means everyone who started up to this point paid $60 for nothing?

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
.. Thats not F2P thats just a extended trial.. Level 15 basically means you can play the first and like half of the second area.. I honestly think all MMO's should do that..
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 FelipeInside

Does this mean that anyone who plays F2P and wants to switch then they get the game for free?

Which means everyone who started up to this point paid $60 for nothing?

Darocy
It's not F2P it seems....it's just a trial to level 15.
yellosnolvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#13 yellosnolvr
Member since 2005 • 19302 Posts
Is this considered F2P or just an extended Trial to level 15 ???FelipeInside
the latter.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]Is this considered F2P or just an extended Trial to level 15 ???yellosnolvr
the latter.

Thought so. The title is a bit misleading. But I agree with these extended trials. Like another poster said, every MMO should have them.
MLBknights58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 MLBknights58
Member since 2006 • 5016 Posts

I guess this proves the subscription method doesn't work if you're not WoW.

Might go back and check out the game and see what's happenin these days!

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 FelipeInside

I guess this proves the subscription method doesn't work if you're not WoW.

Might go back and check out the game and see what's happenin these days!

MLBknights58
Yes I agree. The subscription method is slowly dying... I don't mind it but it should be cheaper, like $5 x month.
jakes456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 jakes456
Member since 2011 • 1398 Posts

Tortanic!

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 FelipeInside

Tortanic!

jakes456
*sigh* I was waiting for someone to say that...
Avatar image for deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
Member since 2009 • 7779 Posts

I might give it a try then:)

jakes456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 jakes456
Member since 2011 • 1398 Posts

[QUOTE="jakes456"]

Tortanic!

FelipeInside

*sigh* I was waiting for someone to say that...

I was looking for it to quote :P

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o08e_xlXAVc

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts
Is this considered F2P or just an extended Trial to level 15 ???FelipeInside
craploads of MMOs do "free until X level" things, ionus just hates swtor
ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ionusX

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]Is this considered F2P or just an extended Trial to level 15 ???wis3boi

you just be hating the fact that indeed part of it is free now. plenty of mmo's also offer free play up to a given level that is much higher.. should we use a level to define if a game is truly free or not? cmon now.. it very simple. there are games free up to a certain extent, their are free with micro transactions, there is freeware, and finally there is paid subscriptions.

anyone who thinks differently is just playing the ignorance card. i also dont hate any game (that isnt labeled CoD) so i recommend you quit it.

so im not chaning thread title. there is a star next to f2p. clear as day.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="wis3boi"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"]Is this considered F2P or just an extended Trial to level 15 ???ionusX

you just be hating the fact that indeed part of it is free now. plenty of mmo's also offer free play up to a given level that is much higher.. should we use a level to define if a game is truly free or not? cmon now.. it very simple. there are games free up to a certain extent, their are free with micro transactions, there is freeware, and finally there is paid subscriptions.

anyone who thinks differently is just playing the ignorance card. i also dont hate any game (that isnt labeled CoD) so i recommend you quit it.

Ur title is just a bit misleading. U say they are transitioning to F2P, where they are just offering a trial to level 15.
ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ionusX

[QUOTE="ionusX"]

[QUOTE="wis3boi"] craploads of MMOs do "free until X level" things, ionus just hates swtorFelipeInside

Ur title is just a bit misleading. U say they are transitioning to F2P, where they are just offering a trial to level 15.

no its technically free. it may double as a free trial but since you are not limited in anyway by time constraints or days of free play. it is not a trial. it is free.

a trial period is a set time to play a game before you MUST pay or stop playing. this is what makes a trial a trial and not a demo or a free* game (up to a given level). you can continue playing. you just wont progress any further

if anyhting its closer to a demo than a free trial as a demo stops at a given point and wont let you progress any farther and you must then start anew

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="ionusX"] you just be hating the fact that indeed part of it is free now. plenty of mmo's also offer free play up to a given level that is much higher.. should we use a level to define if a game is truly free or not? cmon now.. it very simple. there are games free up to a certain extent, their are free with micro transactions, there is freeware, and finally there is paid subscriptions.

ionusX

no its technically free. it may double as a free trial but since you are not limited in anyway by time constraints or days of free play. it is not a trial. it is free.

a trial period is a set time to play a game before you MUST pay or stop playing. this is what makes a trial a trial and not a demo or a free* game (up to a given level). you can continue playing. you just wont progress any further

if anyhting its closer to a demo than a free trial

Well yes, it IS a demo. A demo up to level 15. They just call it Free Trial in MMOs cause of the subscription thing. You can keep playing but no further quests would be available.
ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ionusX

[QUOTE="ionusX"]

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"] Ur title is just a bit misleading. U say they are transitioning to F2P, where they are just offering a trial to level 15.FelipeInside

Well yes, it IS a demo. A demo up to level 15. They just call it Free Trial in MMOs cause of the subscription thing. You can keep playing but no further quests would be available.

incorrect again.. you are not required to start anew you can continue to play on an existing character and you can continue to do things after you would normally have been stopped by the terms of a demo. its technically free and thats the end of it. it might be similar (in relative explanation) to a demo but it is no demo.

arguement = invalid

they also do not finish your free period on a character with nasty "buy now" adverts like a demo would

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#28 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
No MMO should charge extra! Also, how long does it take to level up to 15 and what sort of combat does this game have?? biggest_loser
Takes a good while to lvl to 15, at least for me it did. I'd say 20hrs? I cannot remember exactly. Clearly, it depends on how you play but that's my rough estimate.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="ionusX"] no its technically free. it may double as a free trial but since you are not limited in anyway by time constraints or days of free play. it is not a trial. it is free.

ionusX

incorrect again.. you are not required to start anew you can continue to play on an existing character and you can continue to do things after you would normally have been stopped by the terms of a demo. its technically free and thats the end of it. it might be similar (in relative explanation) to a demo but it is no demo.

arguement = invalid

they also do not finish your free period on a character with nasty "buy now" adverts like a demo would

Oh sorry. Just because you created this thread and it's your opinion then that's the End of it? Sorry Mr Wikipedia.

It's just a difference in opinion, or more a difference in words.

There are plenty demos that don't say BUY NOW at the end of it, and let you play on.

I consider it a Free Trial cause that is the correct term when referring to MMOs with subscription plans.

Is there news that some things won't be enabled? Like Trade or Messages? Some MMOs do that too.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Elann2008
^^ It's not a demo like most games. Like Felipe, it's a FREE trial. Like when you try out a program/application for a limited number of days, or alloted hours. In this case, up to lvl 15. There's really nothing to argue about. It's not a F2P MMO, even if the BioWare-haters wished it in their grave.
Revixe06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Revixe06
Member since 2008 • 1021 Posts
I've been wanting to play this game. I can't wait to give it a try. :D
ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ionusX

^^ It's not a demo like most games. Like Felipe, it's a FREE trial. Like when you try out a program/application for a limited number of days, or alloted hours. In this case, up to lvl 15. There's really nothing to argue about. It's not a F2P MMO, even if the BioWare-haters wished it in their grave.Elann2008
a free trial would imply that your account in the game would expire after use.. it does not. the keyword here is "trial" a trial tends to end abruptly regardless if you finish or not. such as a time trial or a 10-day product trial.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 wis3boi

my ionus logic, the following games must have "cracked under preassure" too

wowfree.jpg

riftlogolitev04bfinal.jpg

LOTRO-free.jpg

tf2free-500x406.png

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="Elann2008"]^^ It's not a demo like most games. Like Felipe, it's a FREE trial. Like when you try out a program/application for a limited number of days, or alloted hours. In this case, up to lvl 15. There's really nothing to argue about. It's not a F2P MMO, even if the BioWare-haters wished it in their grave.ionusX

a free trial would imply that your account in the game would expire after use.. it does not. the keyword here is "trial" a trial tends to end abruptly regardless if you finish or not. such as a time trial or a 10-day product trial.

Not necessarily. Trial means you can test it for a period of time. Some have time trials, others have day trials, this game has level trials (which basically means that once you get to level 15 you can't advance any further in levels or quests). Trial doesn't mean that ur account expires or gets deleted. Like Elann said, software companies have trials for their software since 20 years ago.... they never delete/expire ur account though.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Elann2008

[QUOTE="Elann2008"]^^ It's not a demo like most games. Like Felipe, it's a FREE trial. Like when you try out a program/application for a limited number of days, or alloted hours. In this case, up to lvl 15. There's really nothing to argue about. It's not a F2P MMO, even if the BioWare-haters wished it in their grave.ionusX

15 levels = time. Hit lvl 15 and it's over. :P

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#36 AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts
Dont know whats the case but i would try SW:TOR the moment goes F2P... Theres no way to pay for it... Its a sad thing though to see 200million game sink in that way. Seems Quality >> Quantity moto is true afterall.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="AzatiS"]Dont know whats the case but i would try SW:TOR the moment goes F2P... Theres no way to pay for it... Its a sad thing though to see 200million game sink in that way. Seems Quality >> Quantity moto is true afterall.

U can try it now....free play till level 15
TerrorRizzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 TerrorRizzing
Member since 2010 • 4232 Posts

its a good way to get people to try the game.

sonofabevo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 sonofabevo
Member since 2011 • 45 Posts

So did I order the retail version for no reason? Maybe I should cancel it.

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ionusX

sonofabevo

not really jsut dont go buying a time card day 1.. maybe day 2-3

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

well the omens have prooved right again it seems. swtor whas had a rough set of weeks and months and in a bid to attract new users swtor has begun a transition to f2p. now let me make it very clear its not f2p for everyone. instead they are doing what WoW has already done. it is now free to enjoy up to level 15

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/06/04/star-wars-the-old-republic-goes-free.aspx

ionusX
.. That is not free to play that is still a trial.. Level 15 pretty much means you can play all of the first area and half of the second area.. Thats nothing, you don't even get your ship and you only get to do one flashpoint group... Thats not f2p, stop acting like it is.. If that is the case.. WoW is F2P too.
flipin_jackass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 flipin_jackass
Member since 2004 • 9772 Posts
Damn, I was hoping.... one day. I like Star Wars... but I love my $75 (+ $15 monthly) more...
k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#44 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

i hate most mmo payment plans...

OOO buy the $60 dollar game then pay us every month to play it. YA not happening.

Make up your mind charge every month or sell the game NOT BOTH.

Don't get me started on expansion packs... OOO we buy the first game then pay fee every month Then still have to buy expansion packs for it

sonofabevo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 sonofabevo
Member since 2011 • 45 Posts

[QUOTE="sonofabevo"]

ionusX

not really jsut dont go buying a time card day 1.. maybe day 2-3

Well, I already have a time card because somebody false advertised the time card as the retail game. Whatever, I've been wanting to try this for a while.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 wis3boi

OOO buy the $60 dollar game then pay us every month to play it. YA not happening.

Don't get me started on expansion packs... OOO we buy the first game then pay fee every month Then still have to buy expansion packs for it

k2theswiss
When you have to run massive buildings of server farms and pay employees to do support, content creation, and admining IN ADDITION to your regular employees who makes other games, it's a fair offer.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="k2theswiss"]

wis3boi
When you have to run massive buildings of server farms and pay employees to do support, content creation, and admining IN ADDITION to your regular employees who makes other games, it's a fair offer.

People have no clue wis, they think the servers are $500 Desktop PCs and that they run themselves...
RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 RyviusARC
Member since 2011 • 5708 Posts
So I guess Diablo is F2P because with a pass you can play until lvl 13 and to the end of the Skeleton King.
Bournesit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Bournesit
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
Mess with the Blizz, you get the horn.
Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11785 Posts

Until they fix the sound in the game that they broke months ago, then I will continue to stay away.

F2P, paid subscribtion, I don't care. They just need to fix the game if they want more players, instead of trying to rely on tactics like this.