• 53 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gamerwiz09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 gamerwiz09
Member since 2006 • 820 Posts

OK, so my gaming computer is gettin messed up, and I might be without an internet connection for a little while, and well, I'm just too damn bored without being able to play my games on line. I'm wondering if you guys can tell me what PC games have the best singleplayer options. Ya know-Good story, long campain, good AI, etc. Also, If you can keep the suggestions under a MATURE rating (It SUCKS being 13 with strict parents).

THANKS!

dbowman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 dbowman
Member since 2005 • 6836 Posts
Get Half Life 2 if you don't already own it.
gothzane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 gothzane
Member since 2003 • 102 Posts
http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=25470801
gamerwiz09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 gamerwiz09
Ya Know, I would but its rated MATURE. Damn ESRB.
pwilletts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 pwilletts
Member since 2006 • 881 Posts
The Call of Duty series has pretty good multiplayer.
nebulaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 nebulaz
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
Even with the M rating, most big name retailers like Wal-Mart and Circuit City will still sell it to a minor who is not in the accompaniment of an adult or guardian.  Just ask the parentals for some dough, and trek on over and buy HL-2.  This way you can download the Golden Eye mod and enjoy the past wonders from the N-64.
Wee87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Wee87
Member since 2005 • 3567 Posts

Picked up Sid Meier#s Pirates! over Christmas for a bargain but only got round to playing over the last week, but couldn't recommend it enough. Excellent gameplay, lengthy campaign and fits your age restrictions.

Plus, it's dirt cheap.  :)

the_sandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 the_sandwich
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
I hear Civ IV is awesome
gamerwiz09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 gamerwiz09
Ok...PLEASE READ THE TOPIC before you post. I'm not looking for best multi player, and I cant download any mods, because I DON'T HAVE AN INTERNET CONNECTION. Also Its harder then you think for me to get an M rated game. 1. I cant get to a store unless a I get a ride from somewhere, Im only 13. 2. They MIGHT not sell it to me. 3. I think they'd notice from the big M on the box, and the fact that I'm shootin ppl apart, complete with blood and guts, That its rated MATURE.
pwilletts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 pwilletts
Member since 2006 • 881 Posts
Damn how could I forget, pick up any of the Total War series, you'll love it.
gamerwiz09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 gamerwiz09
Thanks for the suggestions, but I have a couple of the games you guys suggested, but I've gotten bored of them...Thats what multiplayer is for, adds more replay value. but what I'm saying is I need a really good singleplayer experience. COD2 gets old after you defeat the Germans 5 times. Damn, why'd they have to make Oblivion M...shoulda grabbed it while i could.
Decado_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Decado_basic
Member since 2002 • 4030 Posts

You're in some trouble if you can't download mods...since that means you probably can't download patches, too.  A great single player game that is stable out of the box, isn't "M" rated and appeals to your taste?

What about sports games?  If you like TBS or RTS games there are a lot to choose from (though not being able to dl patches will suck).

Avatar image for deactivated-6489064584842
deactivated-6489064584842

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-6489064584842
Member since 2007 • 102 Posts

Far Cry

Doom 3

Quake 4

HL2

F.E.A.R

Company of Heroes

Sport games

Rise Of Nations : Rise of Legends 

The_Frizz_Nizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 The_Frizz_Nizz
Member since 2006 • 29 Posts

Star Wars, Knights of the Old Republic.  Get it.  Over 100 hours of Star Wars RPG awesomeness from Bioware.  Amazing Story.  Oh, and its dirt cheap!!!  Get it.  If you want a shooter, there's not much out there for you unless you want a shorter game like freedom fighters or something like that.  Or Age of Empires 2, Civ4, or Roller Coaster Tycoon, the original.  It is such an amazing game.  I love it!!!

f617682657

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 f617682657
Member since 2005 • 360 Posts

Far Cry

Doom 3

Quake 4

HL2

F.E.A.R

Company of Heroes

Sport games

Phob0s

There are some ignorant fools on these forums....DOUBLY ignorant considering it's been said twice.

Allan225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Allan225
Member since 2007 • 308 Posts

Supreme Commander, Black and White 2, Black and White, Armed Assault,

Man glad I don't have that problem.

Allan225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Allan225
Member since 2007 • 308 Posts

Supreme Commander, Black and White 2, Black and White, Armed Assault,

Man glad I don't have that problem.

Allan225

Also foregot Medieval 2 Total War good game(:

Avatar image for Doom_HellKnight
Doom_HellKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18 Doom_HellKnight
Member since 2005 • 12217 Posts
Single Player doesn't get much better than Half-Life or Call of Duty (FPS) or Company of Heroes (RTS).
Shermit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Shermit
Member since 2007 • 74 Posts

Ya Know, I would but its rated MATURE. Damn ESRB.gamerwiz09

Just tell your parents its an Orwellian Scince fiction story where you play a physicist.

doomsdaydave11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#20 doomsdaydave11
Member since 2006 • 1159 Posts

Far Cry

Doom 3

Quake 4

HL2

F.E.A.R

Company of Heroes

Sport games

Phob0s

almost all of those are rated M.:o

I'm 13 too and I don't have an internet connection on my gaming computer, so I feel you pain.

I worked so hard for my compy and there's no internet, bummer.

Call of Duty 1-2 are good

Starcraft is awesome

Warcraft III, Red Alert 2, C&C Generals, etc.

Try some SimCities, if you like those type of games.

Avatar image for explicthangnail
explicthangnail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 explicthangnail
Member since 2007 • 757 Posts
How could you be typing on here without an internet connection? :lol:
doomsdaydave11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#22 doomsdaydave11
Member since 2006 • 1159 Posts

How could you be typing on here without an internet connection? :lol:explicthangnail

I'm typing on my dad's comp;)

and my parent's won't let my have dial up on mine. I'm fine with it though, I have plenty of games that I've collected over the years:

Red Alert 2: Yuri's Revenge, Tiberian Sun: Firestorm, Starcraft: Brood War, WarCraft III: The Frozen Throne,

C&C Generals: Zero Hour, Caesar III, Rise of Nations: Thrones and Patriots, Halo, Call of Duty 2

Myth: The Fallen Lords, Company of Heroes, Diablo II: Lord of Destruction, Age of Empires II: The Conquerers, Age of Empires III

Battlefield 1942: The Road to Rome, Renegade, etc. 

:D

Avatar image for barney_calhoun_
barney_calhoun_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 barney_calhoun_
Member since 2006 • 3887 Posts
take out your parents, then contract someone to replace them, then go and buy any game from this topic
seanroxors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 seanroxors
Member since 2003 • 1178 Posts
You gotta get COmpany of heroes!
Avatar image for deactivated-5c20477a5e387
deactivated-5c20477a5e387

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-5c20477a5e387
Member since 2003 • 4291 Posts
Chronicles of Riddick offers one of the best FPS single player experience. But the game does have a lot of bad language so I'm not sure if your parents would approve.
krazyorange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#26 krazyorange
Member since 2005 • 2669 Posts

I've been buying M-rated games since I was 12. Just don't go to walmart or target - when they scan an M-rated game something automatically pops up on their screens and they will notice/card you - go to a used store and tell your parents or whoever takes you that you want to try being older and buy something without your parents hovering - approach this in a mature way and as a suggestion or in the middle of another conversation and they should understand. last, walk into the store and act confident - dont wear a pokemon tshirt or 8-inch white socks and skater shoes - pick up the game without looking at the back, walk up and hand it to the guy and ignore him as he looks at you - pull out your money and act like you're paying for it regardless of your appearance. also, don't have a yellow and red velcro wallet. and hide the game in an intelligent spot in your house - not in cliched spots like under your pillow and if your parents find it say some kid at school lent it to you and sound positive about why it's rated M - "some language," "the main character smokes cigarettes."

If you can't pull this off with that much information, you are clearly lacking in the intelligence department.

Corrupt_Tiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Corrupt_Tiki
Member since 2007 • 73 Posts
Haha, phobos those are all like M and R rated games, but im not too sure of any good non M rated games, as ive been buying plenty of games without parents around or being 15 or 18 for ages and all i do is go into a small store preferably and just have a look around and pick up your game and buy it, just make sure your not wearing a DBZ tshirt or something insanely stupid, but its a shame coz all good games are at least M rated, the only two games ive been asked for ID was for C&C generals like WTF, and GTA ViceCity and GTA3 Double pack, but i got a Maori Dude to buy em for me, and i got GTA SA no problems hahaha, Try the Older C&C games, Sport Games maybe, but youll be laughing once you get a couple of older mates or turn 15.
sturryz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 sturryz
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
CodeRed is a free series with a very decent singleplayer experince
thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts
WarCraft III, Call of Duty, NOLF 2 and Darwinia
teardropmina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 teardropmina
Member since 2006 • 2806 Posts

I second Knights of Old republic and No One lives forever games. You can also try Prince of Persia: Two Thrones, Star Wars: Empire at War, Spellforce 1&2, Neverwinter nights2, and Dragonshard.

but, to me personally, in singlelayer compagin, nothing can touch Baldur's Gate 2 + Throne of Bhaal expension (really, really long and huge in scale if you explore every possibilities), followed by Planescape: Torment (shorter, smaller in scale). but, these two might be too ancient for you; especially without internet connection, you'll have tough time to get proper patches for BG2.    

gamerwiz09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 gamerwiz09

Hey, I'm Back...this thing is turning into an "How to get around your parents and buy an M-Rated game," topic. You guys make it sound so easy, but unless I some how happen to be at a friends or something, and they want to stop by best buy, its kinda hard for me to get to a store, get in without my mom/dad coming in with me, buy the game, and go home without them finding out what I got. And like I said before, even If I did manage to get a hold of an M-rated game, my parents would probably see it-they usually stop in the room every now and then just to see what I'm doin.

Thanks for all the suggestions though...I'm not big into RTS campaigns and stories, thats why having an internet connection sucks so much...playing a EAW or BFMEII, or C&C3 campaign just gets to boring...I need to play how I want, against real ppl and with real ppl, which to me is what makes it so much fun. Of course, the exception is with FPS...cause they got plenty of action, and decent storylines, with tough AI. But multiplayer is still the best part of any game...probly why I love the Battlefield games so much.

Anyway, I've been talking to my parents recently, about getting an M-rated game. Both of them don't like the idea. Anyone else find this odd? I mean, most of my friends either 1.) Have parents that don't care what games they play. or 2.) Have at least a DAD that doesn't care, because they like the idea of virtually yet realisticly blowing ppl up just as much as a 14 yr old. And if they go to a store with the mom, she'll say no. But if they go with the dad, he'll say yes.

The good thing is, later today, I'm having a GeekSquad guy come by and take a look at the setup, and see if he can fix anything. I didn't explain my problem completely, but I have some free time so WTH. My computer, use to work...it gets the internet wirelessly from my moms comp, which is the family computer. this was like 2 months ago. then see decided she wanted to get a new one (It was a pretty crappy computer). And it was right around the time vista came out. So she got a brand new comp with vista...its a dell, so is mine, and I set it up. I'm pretty sure I hooked everything up right, but ever since she got that new computer, I haven't been able to get my computer on the internet. It sucks, it really does.

But any way, Thanks ya'll...keep posting if ya got any more suggestions, or if you have any ways to convince my parents...even if I get my comp back online, I'd still like to be able to play some M-rated games.

mazare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#33 mazare
Member since 2005 • 687 Posts
Mediaval 2 total war and rome total war are both cool. ANd you should try Penumbra, its good story free game, but you will have to download it first.
ADG_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#34 ADG_
Member since 2003 • 1654 Posts
I hear Civ IV is awesomethe_sandwich
It is, one of the greatest games ever... best strategy game Get it with the Warlords expansion pack, as it makes the AI better (and adds more to the game)
DieselCat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 DieselCat18
Member since 2002 • 3006 Posts

FarCry !

opps ! ....sorry, didn't see your disclaimer about 'M' Rated games.

If your into RTS games try Command & Conquer : Tiberium Wars (rated  T )

gamerwiz09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 gamerwiz09

Hey Everbody!!! I'm back!!!

Guess what? My internets back on! That visit from GeekSquad was worth ever one of my mom's pennies!

Thanks though for all of your suggestions!

Disco_Joe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Disco_Joe
Member since 2004 • 110 Posts

[QUOTE="the_sandwich"]I hear Civ IV is awesomeADG_
It is, one of the greatest games ever... best strategy game Get it with the Warlords expansion pack, as it makes the AI better (and adds more to the game)

Civ IV is a matter of taste, imo. A lot of people, including me, find it bloated and unintuitive, while some simply love it.

Staryoshi87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#38 Staryoshi87
Member since 2003 • 12760 Posts
Civilization 4 is the tops.
Staryoshi87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#39 Staryoshi87
Member since 2003 • 12760 Posts

Hey Everbody!!! I'm back!!!

Guess what? My internets back on! That visit from GeekSquad was worth ever one of my mom's pennies!

Thanks though for all of your suggestions!

gamerwiz09

I would have come over and fixed it for half the price ;)

llakallaka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 llakallaka
Member since 2006 • 1230 Posts
 HALF LIFE SAGA
Ice_Hawk_13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Ice_Hawk_13
Member since 2006 • 133 Posts
I am going to recommend TES3 Morrowind.  It has a long game, is fun, and now that you have internet, you can get some of the thousands of mods that have been made.  Get the GOTY edition for around 15 or 20 USD anywhere, comes with game, 2 expansions, and a mod construction toolset.
brodelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 brodelin
Member since 2005 • 583 Posts
If you like RPG then get Baldurs Gate 2 +Throne of Baal expansion. It's the single best single-player game I have ever played. It has a very deep story, a good 80 hours or so of playtime, very nice fantasy setting, good combat and yeah the list goes on. But on the other hand since you're only 12 you might not like this game that much since it contains a lot of reading and the combat system can be quite to hard to understand if you are unfamiliar to Advanced Dungeons and Dragons rules.
Avatar image for barney_calhoun_
barney_calhoun_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 barney_calhoun_
Member since 2006 • 3887 Posts

you sure have strict parents, i have been playing gta 3 since im 10-11

KorJax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 KorJax
Member since 2004 • 2564 Posts
Elder Scrolls III:  Morrowind is rated teen, and IMO its much better than Oblivion (although I really needs mods to get the most out of it).  Oblivion did several things better than Morrowind, but Morrowind overall was a MUCH better game IMO than Oblivion, simply because it had more depth, diversity, and personality.
stealthrodent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#45 stealthrodent
Member since 2003 • 1508 Posts
Download STEAM, its free and safe, then from there u can buy Half Life2. It's a great game. Then download Garry's Mod and you'll be entertained for hours
Dracunos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Dracunos
Member since 2004 • 1154 Posts

Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind is rated teen, and IMO its much better than Oblivion (although I really needs mods to get the most out of it). Oblivion did several things better than Morrowind, but Morrowind overall was a MUCH better game IMO than Oblivion, simply because it had more depth, diversity, and personality.KorJax

I prefer Oblivion, but I must admit that somehow, some way, Morrowind has this amazing and weird 'sense' and 'feeling' and 'emotion' in it when you play. It feels like you have so much freedom, and it's made well, and it's just enjoyable to play in such an unexplicable way. 

KorJax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 KorJax

Thats the personality and depth I was referring to :P

Sure, Oblivion's combat is more refined, and alot more features/graphics are alittle more polished than what they were in morrowind, but Morrowind simply had more personality and there was just more to do with more options.

Dracunos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Dracunos

Thats the personality and depth I was referring to :P

Sure, Oblivion's combat is more refined, and alot more features/graphics are alittle more polished than what they were in morrowind, but Morrowind simply had more personality and there was just more to do with more options.

KorJax

There was definitely more to do, more types of weapons, more of a lot of things, and it was extremely customizable and such, but Oblivion was much more complex in terms of dialogue options, NPC/PC interaction in general was waaaay way better, I guess that's why I appreciate it more. Plus great graphics just looks cool :p 

KorJax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 KorJax

Diolouge Options?  Yeah right, thats one of Oblivion's downfalls compaired to Morrowind.  In morrowind, each NPC in the game had 12+ or so topics you could get information about (and we are talking plenty of info here, like full paragraph, if not more, of information reguarding a back-story, the lore, or a quest).  Oblivion only has 2-4 topics per NPC,  and most of them dont really give you much info or backstory on anything.  Much less is given to you also per topic, like usually a topic will only last 1-2 sentances long with the NPC's in Oblivion, partyly because of the horrid compass system that walks you through every quest in the game instead of you actually having to follow directions given by an NPC in Morrowind.

Now, Oblivion DOES have better NPC AI than morrowind, which had no AI sceuduals at all for thier NPC's.  Although to compensaite for this you could download the Atmospheric Sound Effects mod and the Living Cities of Vvardenfel mod for Morrowind, which simulated NPC's appearing in shops and taverns and such. 

Dracunos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Dracunos

The dialogue in Morrowind just gave me a sense of it was.. written in a game, really..

In Oblivion it really felt like I was talking to people with personalities. Morrowind gave me this lonely feel, whether I was in the city talking to people or not. I love the open-ness of it in general, but in Oblivion I loved the way I could fight in a dungeon, and feel the intensity if it was a tougher battle, and feel like something might creep behind you, or sneak up on you, and then you can head to the city and feel relief from it, like you're in a safe little town full of people. Morrowind always felt like I was the only real person. Maybe it's not the dialogue options, but the way the dialogue is represented or something

It's the difference of playing an amazingly deep, open, brilliant 'game', or playing a decent game with a brilliant sense of immersion for a game. Not really like 'being into' the story like most immersive games, but Oblivion's immersion is unique, and deep in the simpler things, like just walking around and talking about nothing with NPCs that don't feel as much like NPCs. It could just be from the graphics and sound quality that affects you subconsciously that gives you a different feel. That's why, as much as I personally don't care that much for graphics, at least to the point that you can easily find the best games of all time with horrible graphics, but good graphics is definitely worth more to me than just 'looks'. It definitely gives a better sense of being there.