Best Sandbox / Freeroam Game

• 79 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

riztwist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 riztwist
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
Which one the best sandbox game ? maybe you know other sandbox game except from rockstar games. but i know, most of people like rockstar games. but if you have any opinion / game, please tell me.
K4ss3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#2 K4ss3r
Member since 2004 • 8697 Posts
Just Cause 2 takes the sandbox pretty far. It's definitely an outstanding game to play around in, and mods add to the fun of things.
guildclaws

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 guildclaws
Member since 2009 • 7921 Posts

Just Cause 2 and Prototype

Avatar image for broken_bass_bin
broken_bass_bin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 broken_bass_bin
Member since 2009 • 7515 Posts

Just Cause 2 is a good one.

Farkeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Farkeman
Member since 2009 • 1199 Posts
Minecraft or Just cause 2
deltaop007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6 deltaop007
Member since 2010 • 34 Posts
how come forgot GTA guys?...the best free-roam game in ages... :) for me it ll be none other than the fantastic GTA IV and GTA SA....
deltaop007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deltaop007
Just Cause 2 aint that bad too... Far Cry 2 has also got a large African play area composed of beautiful savannas and dusty roads...
Crimsader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Crimsader
Member since 2008 • 11672 Posts
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas Just Cause 2
Farkeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Farkeman
[QUOTE="deltaop007"]how come forgot GTA guys?...the best free-roam game in ages... :) for me it ll be none other than the fantastic GTA IV and GTA SA....

gta 4 has like 0 free roam , its way to crowded buggy , clunky to be enjoyable , tbh theres nothing rly to do without the main mission :(
face_ripper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 face_ripper
Member since 2010 • 968 Posts

Just Cause 2 and Prototype

guildclaws
Yeh they're both great sandbox games, i'd also recommend Assassin's Creed 2
Avatar image for tequilasunriser
tequilasunriser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 tequilasunriser
Member since 2004 • 6379 Posts

Garry's Mod

Minecraft

NeilCardiff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13 NeilCardiff
Member since 2008 • 834 Posts

[QUOTE="deltaop007"]how come forgot GTA guys?...the best free-roam game in ages... :) for me it ll be none other than the fantastic GTA IV and GTA SA....Farkeman
gta 4 has like 0 free roam , its way to crowded buggy , clunky to be enjoyable , tbh theres nothing rly to do without the main mission :(

Rubbish.

Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts
[QUOTE="Farkeman"][QUOTE="deltaop007"]how come forgot GTA guys?...the best free-roam game in ages... :) for me it ll be none other than the fantastic GTA IV and GTA SA....

erm... what? you're nuts.
deltaop007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deltaop007
yea i think he is :P i bet he hasnt played GTA IV yet :D
telep_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 telep_man
Member since 2010 • 203 Posts
Howcome nobody mentiones Fallout 3? It's the best game I've played in years. It has so many side missions you have to play it at least twice if you want to see them all. But the best thing about it is the unique style and the atmosphere (athmosphere?). I can't really explain it, you have to see it for yourself.
deltaop007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deltaop007
Howcome nobody mentiones Fallout 3? It's the best game I've played in years. It has so many side missions you have to play it at least twice if you want to see them all. But the best thing about it is the unique style and the atmosphere (athmosphere?). I can't really explain it, you have to see it for yourself.telep_man
you got the 'atmosphere' spot on...and yes Fallout 3 is a gr8 game as well...quite correctly it has got a 100% replay value...you have to play it twice to take all the stuff in ;)
tequilasunriser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 tequilasunriser
Howcome nobody mentiones Fallout 3? It's the best game I've played in years. It has so many side missions you have to play it at least twice if you want to see them all. But the best thing about it is the unique style and the atmosphere (athmosphere?). I can't really explain it, you have to see it for yourself.telep_man
Better yet. STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl.
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts
I enjoy Red Faction: Guerrilla a lot followed closely by GTA SA.
RaIn285

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 RaIn285
Member since 2010 • 3010 Posts

Probably GTASA or maybe Garrys mod if you can count that as free roam ;)

Nino_ze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 Nino_ze
Member since 2008 • 368 Posts
Far Cry, GTA Vice City, San Andreas, Far Cry 2, haven't played nut people say that Just Cause is pretty cool
with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#22 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

To me a sandbox game is a game that takes place in a large open environment that allows you to play around and have fun outside of missions.

My favorite would probably be Red Faction: Guerrilla because it really embraces the concept; its a ton of fun to just run around and destroy things.

Just Cause 2 and Saints Row 2 are honorable mentions.

Farkeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Farkeman
stalker , sandbox ? lol
tequilasunriser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 tequilasunriser

To me a sandbox game is a game that takes place in a large open environment that allows you to play around and have fun outside of missions.

My favorite would probably be Red Faction: Guerrilla because it really embraces the concept; its a ton of fun to just run around and destroy things.

with_teeth26

That would be considered free roam. The OP asked for sandbox.
stalker , sandbox ? lolFarkeman
Ya know, I first posted actual sandbox games (Garry's mod and Minecraft), but as fate would have it with typical GS users, people confuse sandbox with free roam and started rattling off games that were anything but sandbox. I figured if Fallout 3 got a mention it was only fair to mention STALKER, which, in my opinion, is the better of the two.

Avatar image for deactivated-5920bf77daa85
deactivated-5920bf77daa85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

#25 deactivated-5920bf77daa85
Member since 2004 • 3270 Posts

Depends on your preferences for setting and gameplay.

Guild Wars, WoW, Oblivion, Test Drive: Unlimited, Simcity, The Sims, the X Series, and Freelancer are all fun games :)

rmfd341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 rmfd341
Member since 2008 • 3808 Posts
Saints Row 2.
Kendog87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Kendog87
Member since 2010 • 1111 Posts

Garrys mod

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#28 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts
From what i played latelly in this order: Mafia 2 saboteur saints row 2 red faction guirella.
kdawg88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 kdawg88
Member since 2009 • 2923 Posts

Garry's Mod

Minecraft

tequilasunriser
^^^^^^^^^^^ This
with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#30 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

That would be considered free roam. The OP asked for sandbox. Ya know, I first posted actual sandbox games (Garry's mod and Minecraft), but as fate would have it with typical GS users, people confuse sandbox with free roam and started rattling off games that were anything but sandbox. I figured if Fallout 3 got a mention it was only fair to mention STALKER, which, in my opinion, is the better of the two.

tequilasunriser

There is a ton of overlap between free roam and sandbox games. I was a bit vague in my definition, but by "play around and have fun" i meant actually do things that are somewhat productive, not like in GTA IV where you just run around and shoot people (which gets old after 10 minutes), but actually interact with things in the environment outside of missions that point have a purpose (destroying buildings to obtain salvage and lower government control in Red Faction; destroying buildings/causing chaos to unlock mission in Just Cause 2).

there are more linear games like Crysis that are also considered sandbox games, but they aren't as effective as Just Cause 2 or Red Faction at delivering pure sandbox gameplay.

Free-roam simply implies that you can roam around the environment outside of missions but doesn't imply interactivity (like with Mafia 2). It is highly possible and fairly common for games to be both free-roam and sandbox.

and BTW i agree, Stalker kicks Fallout 3's ass.

Daytona_178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31 Daytona_178
Member since 2005 • 14962 Posts

Grand theft auto 4

jettpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#32 jettpack
Member since 2009 • 3192 Posts

stalker, and fallout 3

jettpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 jettpack
Member since 2009 • 3192 Posts

also minecraft

Zlark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Zlark
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
For me it's gotta be Just Cause 2. Using the grappling hook and the parachute to perform varieties of stunts is so much fun.
Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
Best sandbox would be Minecraft. Best freeroam would be Just Cause 2.
Avatar image for deactivated-5efbb83eee5ef
deactivated-5efbb83eee5ef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 63

#36 deactivated-5efbb83eee5ef
Member since 2004 • 273 Posts

The Saboteur has some fine moments...

GameFan1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 GameFan1983
Member since 2004 • 2189 Posts

1. RDR easily without competition

2. GTAIV

3. Red Faction

4. Just Cause 2

JonSnow777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 JonSnow777
Member since 2009 • 787 Posts

[QUOTE="with_teeth26"]

tequilasunriser

That would be considered free roam. The OP asked for sandbox.
stalker , sandbox ? lolFarkeman
Ya know, I first posted actual sandbox games (Garry's mod and Minecraft), but as fate would have it with typical GS users, people confuse sandbox with free roam and started rattling off games that were anything but sandbox. I figured if Fallout 3 got a mention it was only fair to mention STALKER, which, in my opinion, is the better of the two.

Oh, quite agreed old chap. Heaven knows the "typical GS user" is an uneducated barbarian. I swear, they'll let in anybody these days. Hmmm, yes quite. Ah, be a dear and hold on a moment, would you? Charles! Oh, Charles! Run along and fetch me my shawl. Yes, the white fur. And be quick about it this time? I swear, it's so hard to find good help these days, what with all these GS users running amuck. Now, where were we?

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#39 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts
Stalker is a cheap limitation in comparison with real sandbox games. It has never the map size and freeplay capabilities of other sandbox games neither the quality of the singleplayer campaign of linear games.
luke_717

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 luke_717
Member since 2006 • 126 Posts

Morrowind;

Gothic.

davi21a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 davi21a
Member since 2010 • 559 Posts

Just Cause 2 takes the sandbox pretty far. It's definitely an outstanding game to play around in, and mods add to the fun of things.K4ss3r

Damn... Jessica looks hot in that sig...

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#42 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58375 Posts

JUst Cause 2 is nothing short of amazing, fun, beautiful, and fun, fun fun

tibLeX123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 tibLeX123
Member since 2006 • 76 Posts

The Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowmind, it pisses all over Oblivion and all the other games mentioned here in replay value, mods, content, you name it... if only it had advanced AI.

NeilCardiff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#44 NeilCardiff
Member since 2008 • 834 Posts

The Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowmind, it pisses all over Oblivion and all the other games mentioned here in replay value, mods, content, you name it... if only it had advanced AI.

tibLeX123

Warning, fanboy alert.

WildBilliam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 WildBilliam
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
I'm a sucker for post apocalyptic free roam, so when I saw the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. vs. Fallout debate, I had to have my say. In terms of sheer fun and imagination, Fallout 3 and New Vegas allow you to tinker and control the world in a way that Stalker tries to 'simulate'. Let me explain the context in which I use simulate. It pretends to have a free roam environment, but the radioactive zones on either side of you literally make a beeline to each objective, giving the whole game a ridiculously streamlined approach. Besides, who didn't get bored after the fifth gunfight, or the stupidly simple fetch quests, or with the drawn out dialogue that usually consisted of 'Go here, kill this, talk to this guy.'? Now for Fallout, which in my opinion uses actual innovation, and not just slick game mechanics and environmental eye candy, while the characters are just as boring and mechanical (come on, Bethesda, three games that use the same engine?), the way the world reacts to your actions is compelling and addictive. *FALLOUT SPOILER* I couldn't stop smiling as I blew Megaten off the face of the Earth while the diabolical Mister Tenpenny smiled at the radioactive sunset. That's visual poetry, folks. Stalker, as I said before, is a cheap imitation of free roam gameplay. I wish there was something else I could say about Stalker's depth, but beyond using radioactive stones to enhance certain abilities, and the level of realism in the weight system, the game is a one-trick pony. If you want to truly get lost in a world that took more than a few guns and some cardboard Russians to build, play Fallout 3 or better yet, New Vegas. Stalker is the action-lover's post-apocalypse, while the story depth is nothing short of idiotic. Fallout is a little slower, but you've got more freedom and the range of missions and quest endings are nothing short of breathtaking. For a longer and more interesting journey and a stellar ending, go with Fallout 3 and New Vegas. For cheap thrills and random death by intense radiation (most unrealistic gameplay element ever created), play the mediocre Stalker. Oh, and be warned. Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl is unrelentingly hard.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
There are absolutely tons. From Morrowind to Operation Flashpoint, Dwarf Fortress to Sim City, Red Faction Guerilla to Mercenaries, Minecraft to Mount & Blade, all the way to the monolithic EVE Online. I like all of the above - especially the ones where your impact on the game world and interaction with it is genuinely meaningful, then a nice elaborate mission hub.
Avatar image for Doom_HellKnight
Doom_HellKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Doom_HellKnight
Member since 2005 • 12217 Posts
Red Faction: Guerrilla and Just Cause 2.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts

Stalker, as I said before, is a cheap imitation of free roam gameplay.WildBilliam
Honestly it's anything but.

STALKER genuinely simulates its game world, animals migrate, factions fight, STALKERs die and stay dead; your impact on the game world isn't entirely superficial, and it fits with how cut-throat the survival theme of the exclusion zone is in this adaptation of Roadside Picnic's fiction. The problem in SoC was the integration of meaningful open world exploration into the games progression structure and player impact into the game world; mods sought to fix that greatly and CoP expanded greatly on integrating it into the actual level architecture and progression structure.

On that note I found it far more engrossing than Fallout 3's game world - which really felt like an elaborate set and amazingly detailed quest hub to explore between quests - it was far too noticeable how the random encounter system worked; its restrictive central plot didn't help at all either. That being said Fallout NV was an improvement, alas neither never felt nearly as alive as the Zone to me in STALKER CoP.

Also STALKERs story depth is actually fantastic it's damn good; a lot of that is due to richness of Roadside Picnic and (the film) Stalker's themes. Problem is it is woefully told, text boxes and bookend cut scenes aren't great, however the games world building is absolutely outstanding. I can't say the same about FO3, it's central plot was an absolute abomination - almost everything about it, and NV while being fantastic in its own right had one of the worst introductions to grace any RPG alas, even compared to STALKERs own - that being said the way the plot unfolds is excellent, a real throwback to older RPG sensibilities - massive kudos to Obsidian imho.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#49 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Gothic3, GTA:SA, Morrowind and Just Cause2

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#50 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

[QUOTE="tibLeX123"]

NeilCardiff

Warning, fanboy alert.

Its his personal opinion.. why bring up the word fanboy?
I liked Morrowind and Daggerfall alot more then Oblivion, that does not make me a fanboy.

Does Enjoying Fallout1/2 and New Vegas more then Fallout3 make me a fanboy? Come on now.

The dudes opinion is that Morrowind is much better then Oblivion, I gotta agree with him on that one, but I relize all others dont.