Best factions in Empire: Total War?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for TotalWar_Pwnage
TotalWar_Pwnage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 TotalWar_Pwnage
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

What are you guy's favorite factions to play in the GC in Empire in your opinions? I really like Spain and the Ottoman Empire, Spain because it's really easy to take over all of South America, which yield great farms and such, and they are in a great position in the Eastern Hemisphere. The Ottomans I like because, well, i'm a Muslim and plus it's really easy to expand in the beginning. I suck at naval battles but am a beast at land (probably because i've played all of the Total Wars with the exception of Shogun), and you don't get much naval fights for the Ottomans if you pick your enemies wisely.

Please post, even if you've barely played!

Thanks a lot! :D

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#2 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Ive played alot of the factions, my favorites so far are Sweden and Martha! I didnt think martha would be very fun but its crazy fun goign into battles with your gunner son top of elephants and camels! hehe.

Also tried Lithuania, Russia, Austria, Spain and few others.

I HIGHLY reccomend you and others at least give Martha a try ;)

coolmonkeykid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 coolmonkeykid
Member since 2004 • 3276 Posts
Britain because no one ever attacks your home base.
Mr__Peanut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Mr__Peanut
Member since 2008 • 828 Posts

yeah, England. no one attacks their capital and they make money very easily. they also have access to the most units in the game.

Mr__Peanut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Mr__Peanut

it says the Dutch have a strong Navy, but mine always get pummeled by the three major powers in the carribean. >:O

Swiftstrike5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#6 Swiftstrike5
Member since 2005 • 6950 Posts

Russia or Ottomans.

Or the native americans with there insanely overpowered abilities; like being able to walk without being visible. Bows seem to be better than muskets. They have a longer range and will 1hit just like a musket shot (faster reload aswell). I've also seen native americans fire arrows without appearing on the map as well. Rain of white streaks as my cavalry was running to flank so other infantry. Their cavarly is also very good (because they use spears). Their infantry is better in melee. The only real way to beat them is to take on their forces slowly and force them to rout. You also have to make sure that your infantry isn't being pounded by invisible archers. Their armies are also insanely cheap and can produce 'full' armies every couple of turns. I'm glad I at peace with most of the native americans.

Avatar image for Charles_Dickens
Charles_Dickens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Charles_Dickens
Member since 2009 • 1693 Posts
This game was a day one purchase for me, but I've got so many new titles on my shelf that I still haven't managed to open the shrink wrap. I've been reading the message boards over at the official Total War Forums, however, and most people seem to think that Empire is way too easy and have actually debated which faction is the most difficult to play as. So it depends, I suppose, on how you're asking the question. Are you struggling in this game?
Mr__Peanut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Mr__Peanut

Swift is right, the Indians shouldn't be able to go invisible on flat empty terrain. That's the stupidest special ability in the game.

masterpie89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 masterpie89
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

it says the Dutch have a strong Navy, but mine always get pummeled by the three major powers in the carribean. >:O

Mr__Peanut

Not really, they have the best navy. I love playing as the Dutch because of their naval power. You just need to destroy a commercial port in a region (like Dutch Guyana for example) and build a shipyard/drydock etc. You will get a lot of good ships and they will be very powerfull. And in the beginning of the game you have the Fluyt ship. It's expensive, but a lot better than the brigs and sloops. You can defeat the enemy fleets easily.

That's what I like about the Dutch. First get rid of the two pirate islands, and spread you navy in the indies and hold 3-4 trade posts. The pirates won't come after you that fast so if you can capture the pirate islands in the Americas, the trade posts in the Indies are all yours. Its amazing how much money you get from it.

I also suggest to keep fighting in the Americas. A lot of european nations are in the Americas and you need to be faster/stronger then them. If you go for India first you will lose your strong position in the Americas and when one of the european nations declares war on you, you will fighting at 3 fronts at the same time and that sucks.

I'm in 1740 now, still at peace with Spain but I kicked France out of the game. Paris and Strasbourg are mine, Brussel is still owned by Spain. I got both Dutch and French Guyana, got all the small islands (Leeuward, Marinique etc.), and captured Louisiana from the French and captured all Cherokee Territory. There trade route to Amsterdam is over 25,000 now.

I also just started with the Russian Campaign, pretty hard start too. At war with Georgia and Dagestan at the Caucasus, at war with the Ottomans near Moldavia, and war with Sweden near St. Petersburg. Really hard because a lot of towns need developing and I also need to defend myself on 3 fronts at the same time. I managed to request a peace with Sweden, but they broke it one turn later, hehe. I managed to destroy Georgia and Dagestan, and captured a couple of Swedish regions and pushed them back into Finland.

All in all a hard but fun campaign to play too :)

bogaty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10 bogaty
Member since 2003 • 4750 Posts

As they still haven't bothered to patch the risible AI, I'd say no faction is worth playing. There is simply no way to lose this game as long as you do actually send troops to your objectives. The AI will do nothing to stop you other than launch nuisance raids and is completely incapable of launching amphibious assaults, thereby making the taking of N. America and the Indian subcontinent a mere matter of attrition.

IMaBIOHAZARD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 IMaBIOHAZARD
Member since 2008 • 1464 Posts
tie between Austria and Britian. Britian = no one ever attacks your home base, expansion in India is a cakewalk, if you have at least one large army there, and they pretty much spread everywhere except the european mainland. Austria = landlocked, but with a lot of potential powerful allies to trade with, a lot of territories surrounding home base and some better units.
bdever32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 bdever32
Member since 2005 • 757 Posts

As they still haven't bothered to patch the risible AI, I'd say no faction is worth playing. There is simply no way to lose this game as long as you do actually send troops to your objectives. The AI will do nothing to stop you other than launch nuisance raids and is completely incapable of launching amphibious assaults, thereby making the taking of N. America and the Indian subcontinent a mere matter of attrition.

bogaty
Sadly, this is true. The AI is just too dumb to be a challenge. I am the Brits in the GC and had been taking over the Maratha's territories one by one, and their response was to send a single fixed position artillery unit to retake one of their cities. I had a full army in that city. That's how bad the AI is.
sdcow8492

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 sdcow8492
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
I just recently changed the files so I could play as all of the factions and so far, its been a ton of fun. While i do like playing as the large factions, i find it more fun starting out small and really building your own empire. Im looking forward to playing as Portugal because they have land in India and can focus on a strong economy through trade.
pvtdonut54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 pvtdonut54
Member since 2008 • 8554 Posts

I enjoy Poland because all of their starting cities are grouped next to each other

rmfd341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15 rmfd341
Member since 2008 • 3808 Posts
Thx for ressurecting this awesome topic... Maratha rules..They have elephants..
Shadowhawk000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Shadowhawk000
Member since 2007 • 3453 Posts
United Provinces :D As Awesome Trade and Navy
jrabbit99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17 jrabbit99
Member since 2007 • 2836 Posts
England is nice, they never get attacked because their on an island. :)
lefseleif

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 lefseleif
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
Russia or sweden r fun. aaaa but i wanted to play Norway!!!
lucky326

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 lucky326
Member since 2006 • 3799 Posts

The Mighty Swedes are the best imo. A good challange in Europe and when it comes to expansion into America and India.

555SSOO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 137

#20 555SSOO
Member since 2008 • 1873 Posts

The Mighty Swedes are the best imo. A good challange in Europe and when it comes to expansion into America and India.

lucky326

I destroyed them,I played with the Russians.

lucky326

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 lucky326
Member since 2006 • 3799 Posts

[QUOTE="lucky326"]

555SSOO

I destroyed them,I played with the Russians.

Yeah, but the Swedes are more of a challange, anyone can steamroll Europe/India with Russia.

strider_ATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 strider_ATI
Member since 2008 • 735 Posts
Russia and Great Britain.
Avatar image for dan-rofl-copter
dan-rofl-copter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 dan-rofl-copter
Member since 2008 • 2702 Posts

I like Britain and the Maratha Confederacy.

MadCat46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MadCat46
Member since 2004 • 1494 Posts
Personally I'm having a blast with both Venice and the Italian States, start off nice and small but in a decent location with a solid economy. I like building from the bottom up and these two nations are some of the best for that.
historyfan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 historyfan91
Member since 2008 • 39 Posts

my favorites are France and Sweden.

Whenever i want a challenge i play as Prussia on VH/VH.

budster002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 budster002
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

When you declare war on a nation, do they go all out on you, or attack you only in that area?

Please help.

linkthewindow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 linkthewindow
Member since 2005 • 5654 Posts

When you declare war on a nation, do they go all out on you, or attack you only in that area?

Please help.

budster002
Yep, there will be colonial wars if they have colonies. On the topic at hand, my favorite factions are Prussia (since they can dominate Germany,) and Sweden.
harley2463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 harley2463
Member since 2007 • 44 Posts

Well, I Like The Netherlands, Cuz Thats my home country (The reason i bought the game;), w00t)

But, The strongest Faction Imo Is Austria, Great morale, Took over the world with them!:twisted:

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#29 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49568 Posts

Prussia is my favorite.

But I took over the world with the British.

nobby1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 nobby1995
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

PRUSSIA! Their army is just so damn powerful :)

You do start off small, but Austria to the South is an absolute walkover and all the minor nations in act as a barrier to the Powerful nations at the start such as France. In my GC the year is 1777 and I hold almost all of main land Europe, exluding some Russian regions, and a large amount of the Americas aswell :)

Samueladams913

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Samueladams913
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
I relly dont understand how to mod empire total war like ive tried and ended up getting confused and it never working.
kris9031998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#32 kris9031998
Member since 2008 • 7554 Posts
I relly dont understand how to mod empire total war like ive tried and ended up getting confused and it never working.Samueladams913
This is an old thread. Do not reply on old threads. Make your own.
pilatin1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#33 pilatin1
Member since 2006 • 107 Posts
ottomans and dutch :)