Beat you to it: Gabe discusses HL3...yay?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

attirex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 attirex
Member since 2007 • 2453 Posts

http://www.gamespot.com/news/half-life-3-wait-explained-6372687

Brean24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Brean24
Member since 2007 • 1659 Posts
I stopped caring about Half Life 3 a long time ago, I mean they havent released Episode 3 yet. What could have possibly gone so wrong up in Valve that after 5 years, we havent seen even a screenshot of Episode 3?
jhalter1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 jhalter1
Member since 2011 • 302 Posts

So basically, we know it's codename and that's it.

Awesome.

Avatar image for Human-after-all
Human-after-all

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Human-after-all
Member since 2009 • 2972 Posts
I stopped caring about Half Life 3 a long time ago, I mean they havent released Episode 3 yet. What could have possibly gone so wrong up in Valve that after 5 years, we havent seen even a screenshot of Episode 3?Brean24
Stopped caring about HL3? Good thing your opinion is garbage.
Travis_Odell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Travis_Odell
Member since 2008 • 1775 Posts
It's going to happen next gen. Valve wants to knock the bottom out of physics and graphics next gen and i think it's for the best, that we all wait.
Brean24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Brean24
Member since 2007 • 1659 Posts
[QUOTE="Brean24"]I stopped caring about Half Life 3 a long time ago, I mean they havent released Episode 3 yet. What could have possibly gone so wrong up in Valve that after 5 years, we havent seen even a screenshot of Episode 3?Human-after-all

??? Really? Whats with the hostility? Because I stopped caring about a game that has been in apparant development for over half a decade with not even a formal annoucement, my opinion is garbage?
slvrraven9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 slvrraven9
Member since 2004 • 9278 Posts
[QUOTE="Brean24"]I stopped caring about Half Life 3 a long time ago, I mean they havent released Episode 3 yet. What could have possibly gone so wrong up in Valve that after 5 years, we havent seen even a screenshot of Episode 3?Human-after-all

woah there dude. mabey you should calm the roid rage before you post on here. i dont even see anything in his post to refer to as an opinion about anything. he just said that he stopped caring. when did that become a bad thing around here???
kris9031998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 kris9031998
Member since 2008 • 7554 Posts
I don't think 5 years is THAT bad, honestly.
PcGamingRig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 PcGamingRig
Member since 2009 • 7386 Posts

I stopped caring about Half Life 3 a long time ago, I mean they havent released Episode 3 yet. What could have possibly gone so wrong up in Valve that after 5 years, we havent seen even a screenshot of Episode 3?Brean24
it will probably just be half life 3 now, might not be an E3.

SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 SKaREO
Member since 2006 • 3161 Posts
I was hoping Valve would show us their take on the MMO genre with a Half-Life + Second Life sort of game.
QQabitmoar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 QQabitmoar
Member since 2011 • 1892 Posts

Obligatory

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=632kyLysP6c

Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Phoenix534
Member since 2008 • 17774 Posts

At this point I'd rather have a Ricochet 2 than another Half-Life

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts

I don't think 5 years is THAT bad, honestly. kris9031998
Not that bad, but I can see how fans would be annoyed, Gabe hints at HL 3 every chance he gets.

rhazzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 rhazzy
Member since 2009 • 1516 Posts

And yours is not garbage because of....???

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46299 Posts

Nay, what does the story not being complete have to do with not releasing a single screenshot or confirming that it is indeed HL3 they are working on and not Episode 3?

Obligatory

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=632kyLysP6c

QQabitmoar

Lol, that's what I was thinking.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts
How long did people wait for DIABLO 3 again? And look at the amount of pre-orders....
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#17 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
He's absolutely right. 2011 sparked a lot of hatred and controversy over many games and that trend has continued. Best to keep silent.
RobertBowen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#18 RobertBowen
Member since 2003 • 4094 Posts

I don't mind how long they take developing the game, as long as it's good.

We'd soon moan if they released it early, unfinished and unpolished.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46299 Posts

He's absolutely right. 2011 sparked a lot of hatred and controversy over many games and that trend has continued. Best to keep silent. Elann2008

It also sparked a lot of praise for a lot of games. It depends how you view things I guess.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Elann2008

[QUOTE="Elann2008"]He's absolutely right. 2011 sparked a lot of hatred and controversy over many games and that trend has continued. Best to keep silent. R4gn4r0k

It also sparked a lot of praise for a lot of games. It depends how you view things I guess.

Yup. But never in my gaming life have I seen so mamu nasty group of people spawn from the depths of hell. :P

Travis_Odell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Travis_Odell
We will see part 3 of everything, LFD3,Counterstrike3,Team fortress 3 lol this will be fantastic on a new engine.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Elann2008
We will see part 3 of everything, LFD3,Counterstrike3,Team fortress 3 lol this will be fantastic on a new engine.Travis_Odell
I want L4D3 so bad...
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#23 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
The funny thing is if they spent only two years to make it people would complain about it being rushed. The main HL games are massive games in scope. Its going to take time. I'd rather wait and be blown away (yet again) than have something that wasn't bad but didn't really live up to the legacy. This could be the last one! :(
xXDrPainXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 xXDrPainXx
Member since 2008 • 4001 Posts
People seem to forget between the first Half-Life and the 2nd Half-Life it was 6 years so 5 years now on Half-Life 3 seems to be okay with me. I'm at foaming at the mouth at Half-Life 3? Nope but I would like to play it when/if it comes out.
gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts
It's going to happen next gen. Valve wants to knock the bottom out of physics and graphics next gen and i think it's for the best, that we all wait.Travis_Odell
Next gen started 5 years ago with Crysis. It's unlikely that Valve will wait for the new consoles considering all of their games are PC-focused, especially Half-Life. That said, it may very well turn out that HL3 doesn't get released until the new consoles due simply to Valve time.
Travis_Odell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Travis_Odell
[QUOTE="gameguy6700"][QUOTE="Travis_Odell"] Next gen started 5 years ago with Crysis. It's unlikely that Valve will wait for the new consoles considering all of their games are PC-focused, especially Half-Life. That said, it may very well turn out that HL3 doesn't get released until the new consoles due simply to Valve time.

[QUOTE="Travis_Odell"]It's going to happen next gen. Valve wants to knock the bottom out of physics and graphics next gen and i think it's for the best, that we all wait.gameguy6700
Next gen started 5 years ago with Crysis. It's unlikely that Valve will wait for the new consoles considering all of their games are PC-focused, especially Half-Life. That said, it may very well turn out that HL3 doesn't get released until the new consoles due simply to Valve time.

No, there will be a new engine, them boys know what there doing and it will blow our minds.
Travis_Odell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Travis_Odell

How in the hell did the quote get ****** It says i said what you said lol, gamespot is killing me.

SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 SKaREO
Member since 2006 • 3161 Posts
moar ragdoll!
Qixote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29 Qixote
Member since 2002 • 10843 Posts

Even though I am excited for it, I still feel like we have been cheated out of getting episode 3 already. We should have already had it. With the money and time we invested with HL2 and eps 1 and 2, the way Valve just came to a screeching halt with it for 5 years is not right.

Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Cwagmire21
Member since 2007 • 5896 Posts

How long did people wait for DIABLO 3 again? And look at the amount of pre-orders....FelipeInside

Very true, but most of that was because the original D3 was scrapped due to "issues with quality standards."

While 11 years between sequels is extreme (Blizzard), I prefer many years between sequels rather than annual sequels of the same game.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#31 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts

Even though I am excited for it, I still feel like we have been cheated out of getting episode 3 already. We should have already had it. With the money and time we invested with HL2 and eps 1 and 2, the way Valve just came to a screeching halt with it for 5 years is not right.

Qixote

That doesn't even make sense. You invested in HL2 and the episodes yes, and you got precisely what you paid for. Valve doesn't OWE you anything else from there.

Zubinen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Zubinen
Member since 2011 • 2555 Posts
Well we know what Gabe Newell is focused on: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YR0WN55p_zI 7000 calorie cookies :lol:
Travis_Odell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Travis_Odell
[QUOTE="Zubinen"]Well we know what Gabe Newell is focused on: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YR0WN55p_zI 7000 calorie cookies :lol:

Like i said before he would not be the man he is today is he was a skinny bean pole, let the man eat. As long as we get the best games he could eat a cow for all i care.
Zubinen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Zubinen
[QUOTE="Travis_Odell"][QUOTE="Zubinen"]Well we know what Gabe Newell is focused on: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YR0WN55p_zI 7000 calorie cookies :lol:

Like i said before he would not be the man he is today is he was a skinny bean pole, let the man eat. As long as we get the best games he could eat a cow for all i care.

The cookies take 1 week to eat... And there are lots of them... Don't expect HL3 anytime soon :lol:
mhofever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#35 mhofever
Member since 2008 • 3960 Posts

The longer the wait, the better actually. It means they're developing the game carefully and not rushing it out like most games you get nowdays with ridiculous sequels every year.

Zubinen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Zubinen

The longer the wait, the better actually. It means they're developing the game carefully and not rushing it out like most games you get nowdays with ridiculous sequels every year.

mhofever
It depends on what stage they're at, prolonged crunch time for a game as we saw with DNF is certainly not something you'd want, if it's at the pre production or post production stage then it's fine for things to go slow.
Travis_Odell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Travis_Odell

[QUOTE="Travis_Odell"][QUOTE="Zubinen"]Well we know what Gabe Newell is focused on: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YR0WN55p_zI 7000 calorie cookies :lol:Zubinen
No just no gamespot!

Good that just proves my point, Gabe can eat his cookies puke and repeat if necessary, as long as this new engine is developed. There working on a new engine i guarantee you that.

supras989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 supras989
Member since 2006 • 1558 Posts

If anybody hasn't seen this yethttp://www.valvetime.net/threads/gabe-newell-we-are-not-announcing-anything-at-e3.189989/although some people are calling fake, but still something to keep an eye on.

Zubinen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Zubinen

[QUOTE="Zubinen"][QUOTE="Travis_Odell"][QUOTE="Zubinen"]Well we know what Gabe Newell is focused on: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YR0WN55p_zI 7000 calorie cookies :lol:Travis_Odell

No just no gamespot!

Good that just proves my point, Gabe can eat his cookies puke and repeat if necessary, as long as this new engine is developed. There working on a new engine i guarantee you that.

I'd imagine it would just be some iteration of the Source engine as making a new engine would defeat the purpose of the Source engine being highly modular and maintaining support for all Source games, so for example if we get a DX11 update, one could expect to see that applied to even the earliest Source games.
Mcspanky37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Mcspanky37
Member since 2010 • 1693 Posts

Valve is just waiting for the Tech to advance

Qixote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#42 Qixote
Member since 2002 • 10843 Posts

[QUOTE="Qixote"]

biggest_loser

That doesn't even make sense. You invested in HL2 and the episodes yes, and you got precisely what you paid for. Valve doesn't OWE you anything else from there.

When Valve promised years ago that HL2 will have regular, episodic content, I think most of us were led to believe there would be more than two. And when Ep2 ended in such a cliffhanger that strongly suggested Ep3 would follow, it is not a stretch to feel cheated when that has not been delivered 5 years later.

And using all caps on certain words does not enhance your point; it just makes you sound like a drama queen.

Rickylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Rickylee
Member since 2002 • 1342 Posts

HL3 can take as long as needs be for all I care. Seems at least Valve doen't have to bend to the likes of EA and rush out unfinished games. It's the whole concept of episodic gaming that fired me up at the onset. I hated the idea of only getting a partial game and wondering if the rest will ever be released. Remember Sin? I waited for the Orange Box to get the episodes I have, at least they came out together. And see, now we ask, "where is episode 3?" Nuff said.

Evz0rz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Evz0rz
Member since 2006 • 4624 Posts
[QUOTE="Human-after-all"][QUOTE="Brean24"]I stopped caring about Half Life 3 a long time ago, I mean they havent released Episode 3 yet. What could have possibly gone so wrong up in Valve that after 5 years, we havent seen even a screenshot of Episode 3?Brean24

??? Really? Whats with the hostility? Because I stopped caring about a game that has been in apparant development for over half a decade with not even a formal annoucement, my opinion is garbage?

To counter that, you know what the last game Valve developed that had a five year gap with no information at all? Half-Life 2. I expect the announcement of this to be just as big