Battlefield 3 w/ 360 gamepad problem

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

when using the 360 controller the button promps show kb/m controls instead of the gamepad buttons and also QTE's I have to switch to the kb/m to even work....anybody know of a fix?

C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 C_Rule
Member since 2008 • 9816 Posts
Yes. Buy one of these:  Or use these:
Avatar image for deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd
deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

User Lists: 1

#3 deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd
Member since 2008 • 4403 Posts

Ummm yeah, cause using a gamepad gives you an advantage, didn't you hear?

chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 chikenfriedrice

Yes. Buy one of these:  Or use these:  C_Rule

don't care for smarta$$ replies....I have a 360 and obviously I have a kb/m....I personally like to use a gamepad I do not like gaming with a kb/m

chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 chikenfriedrice

realguitarhero5

it's what I want to use and I can handle my own with a gamepad

Avatar image for deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd
deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#6 deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd
Member since 2008 • 4403 Posts

[QUOTE="realguitarhero5"]

chikenfriedrice

Look, I don't even know if BF3 supports gamepads. Does it?
SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#7 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

[QUOTE="chikenfriedrice"]

realguitarhero5

Look, I don't even know if BF3 supports gamepads. Does it?

Well, would this thread exist otherwise?

I only stick to gamepads when flying for the most part, but even then I've been avoiding them so I can learn to fly without such ease.

sadass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 sadass
Member since 2003 • 270 Posts

Yes. Buy one of these:  Or use these:  C_Rule

Alternatively, use one of these.

http://blog.gimx.fr/

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

chikenfriedrice

Well if it's giving you those issues, then the game pretty clearly doesn't support it. Either use the kb/m, or get the 360 version of the game.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

sadass

I just checked that out, and it appears to be for going the other way. Using the PC (with a kb/m) to control your console. Anyway, there are a bunch of programs out there that can act as a go-between to use gamepads for games that don't support it, but they'll never be able to make your on-screen prompts show xbox buttons, if the game doesn't have that built it. You'd have to use a program to map all your keyboard controls to the gamepad, and then just remember what's what.

I'm kind of surprised BF3 doesn't have that support already. Seems like just about every multiplat game out there these days does. I use a 360 controller when I'm playing Just Cause 2, and Batman AA/AC, and those both show onscreen prompts and qte with the xbox buttons when I'm using it. They even change on the fly. I can be using the gamepad, with xbox buttons for the prompt, then I can just start using the keyboard, and the next time there's a prompt, it shows the keyboard button. And vice-versa.

dramaybaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 dramaybaz
Member since 2005 • 6020 Posts

You realise there is no aim assist, which is normally present in console games to make up for the controller accuracy.

chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 chikenfriedrice

You realise there is no aim assist, which is normally present in console games to make up for the controller accuracy.

dramaybaz

yeah I do realize but as I said before in controls just fine for me I don't need some damn aim assist...problem is the prompts and QTE's

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#13 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

The PC version does not support a 360 controller at all. You can map some buttons because it picks it up as a generic controller, but QTEs are hardcoded for the keyboard.

demi0227_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 demi0227_basic
Member since 2002 • 1940 Posts
Yup...the game has limited support for controllers. In short...you are out of luck for what you want. Sorry man.
trastamad03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 trastamad03
Member since 2006 • 4859 Posts
I'm not being an ass or anything, but if you don't like playing with Mouse and KB and you already own an Xbox360... why didn't you get BF3 on Xbox360 in the first place...?
JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

I'm not being an ass or anything, but if you don't like playing with Mouse and KB and you already own an Xbox360... why didn't you get BF3 on Xbox360 in the first place...?trastamad03

...because the PC version looks better and plays better then the console version?

Whatever happened to PC gamers talking about having freedom of choice on PC? Since when did we have to be restricted to one control option?

trastamad03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 trastamad03
Member since 2006 • 4859 Posts

[QUOTE="trastamad03"]I'm not being an ass or anything, but if you don't like playing with Mouse and KB and you already own an Xbox360... why didn't you get BF3 on Xbox360 in the first place...?JangoWuzHere

...because the PC version looks better and plays better then the console version?

Whatever happened to PC gamers talking about having freedom of choice on PC? Since when did we have to be restricted to one control option?

Nothing happened to PC Gamers talking about that... It's just... There's other types of Gamers that don't give a damn about the system and care for the game's content more.

Yes the PC version of BF3 is better in all aspects, but I doubt BF3 is the first FPS he's played with a gamepad and most FPS on PC will not switch the prompts from kb to Xbox button (they should joystick1 or something like that).

Also, the game isn't fully restricting the control input that you choose to use (gamepads work just fine in MP), just some things are hard-coded (as Wasdie said if you read any other posts in this thread) such as the QTE. Also note that the Single player and Multiplayer were developped by different departements. Not only that, but the SP was pretty much tacked on for the sake of having a SP in the game... hence, they didn't really spend much time on it.

chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 chikenfriedrice

[QUOTE="trastamad03"]I'm not being an ass or anything, but if you don't like playing with Mouse and KB and you already own an Xbox360... why didn't you get BF3 on Xbox360 in the first place...?JangoWuzHere

this

I prefer the PC and I prefer a gamepad....sometimes it doesn't work out for me though like with BF3, ME2 & Witcher 2 but with Metro 2033 which I just bought for 4.99 it works wonderfully

I was just wondering if there was a patch or if that's just the way it is

SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#19 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

Here's my suggestion:

Keep your keyboard plugged in for QTE's, then just switch back to your controller when they finish. Problem solved. I actually do that in quite a few games where I find a controller does a better job in, say, a helicopter flying segment.

GS550L

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 GS550L
Member since 2011 • 923 Posts

Here's my suggestion:

Keep your keyboard plugged in for QTE's, then just switch back to your controller when they finish. Problem solved. I actually do that in quite a few games where I find a controller does a better job in, say, a helicopter flying segment.

SPYDER0416

That's a good idea. The QTE's are pretty simple anyways; they usually consist of stupidly slow button sequences or jamming down a button repeatedly.

You're not the only one who's frustrated at BF3's controller support by the way; I also had a tough time getting my joystick to work properly with it.

chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 chikenfriedrice

[QUOTE="SPYDER0416"]

Here's my suggestion:

GS550L

That's a good idea. The QTE's are pretty simple anyways; they usually consist of stupidly slow button sequences or jamming down a button repeatedly.

You're not the only one who's frustrated at BF3's controller support by the way; I also had a tough time getting my joystick to work properly with it.

I was doing that and it was ok but when I was in the fighter jet it was a problem lol

C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 C_Rule
Member since 2008 • 9816 Posts
I have square wheels on my bicycle, because I believe they are better.
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 chikenfriedrice

I have square wheels on my bicycle, because I believe they are better.C_Rule

hahahahah :? nope

Masenkoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#24 Masenkoe
Member since 2007 • 4897 Posts

Just wondering but how are you not getting completely destroyed in MP?

GS550L

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 GS550L
Member since 2011 • 923 Posts

Masenkoe

From the time that I've spent playing BF3, I've gathered that the game rarely requires twitch aiming and instead is more slow paced and deliberate, with a majority of the combat occurring at longer ranges. Because of this, I can see how someone could be at least competent with a controller as opposed to a KB/M.

I was doing that and it was ok but when I was in the fighter jet it was a problem lol

chikenfriedrice

You might have to rely on the KB/M on the jet sequence, unless one of the fixes mentioned earlier by others works. It's pretty short, if that's any consolation; I remember finishing that part in less than 30 minutes.

-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts

[QUOTE="JangoWuzHere"]

[QUOTE="trastamad03"]I'm not being an ass or anything, but if you don't like playing with Mouse and KB and you already own an Xbox360... why didn't you get BF3 on Xbox360 in the first place...?chikenfriedrice

this

I prefer the PC and I prefer a gamepad....sometimes it doesn't work out for me though like with BF3, ME2 & Witcher 2 but with Metro 2033 which I just bought for 4.99 it works wonderfully

I was just wondering if there was a patch or if that's just the way it is

Witcher 2 works fine with the controller. I noticed one of the button prompts was wrong on the very occasional instance (the back button) but it worked almost perfectly.
dramaybaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 dramaybaz
Member since 2005 • 6020 Posts

[QUOTE="Masenkoe"]

GS550L

From the time that I've spent playing BF3, I've gathered that the game rarely requires twitch aiming and instead is more slow paced and deliberate, with a majority of the combat occurring at longer ranges. Because of this, I can see how someone could be at least competent with a controller as opposed to a KB/M.

But then at longer ranges, isn't it hard to aim due to the controller thumbstick accuracy (dpi if you will).
Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts

[QUOTE="sadass"]

the_bi99man

I just checked that out, and it appears to be for going the other way. Using the PC (with a kb/m) to control your console. Anyway, there are a bunch of programs out there that can act as a go-between to use gamepads for games that don't support it, but they'll never be able to make your on-screen prompts show xbox buttons, if the game doesn't have that built it. You'd have to use a program to map all your keyboard controls to the gamepad, and then just remember what's what.

I'm kind of surprised BF3 doesn't have that support already. Seems like just about every multiplat game out there these days does. I use a 360 controller when I'm playing Just Cause 2, and Batman AA/AC, and those both show onscreen prompts and qte with the xbox buttons when I'm using it. They even change on the fly. I can be using the gamepad, with xbox buttons for the prompt, then I can just start using the keyboard, and the next time there's a prompt, it shows the keyboard button. And vice-versa.

Those games are Games for Windows, which requires solid gamepad support as part of the 'spec' - kind of mindblowing that BF3 completely ditched gamepad support in general for the game, yeah.

The PC version does not support a 360 controller at all. You can map some buttons because it picks it up as a generic controller, but QTEs are hardcoded for the keyboard.

Wasdie
and holy cow that's brutal