Baldur's Gate 2. Solo Insane Poverty anyone? :D

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Shimmerweed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#1 Shimmerweed
Member since 2008 • 753 Posts

Best RPG of all time imo. Just wondering if anyone had tried a solo insane poverty challenge and had actually completed it. And if u did, could u guys leave me a tip on how to defeat the last level (Demogorgon) in Watcher's Keep? ;)

Solo - Using only one character instead of six, which in this case, the main character. :)

Insane - Setting the difficulty setting to insane, monsters dealing double damage. :shock:

Poverty - Not equiping any single item, armor, weapons etc, except a quarterstaff for magic golems in Yagashura's Keep. Even cash. Only quest related gold-issues can justify accumulation of gold. Other than that, it must be dropped alongside all equips the moment u got it. :P

Atm, im doing a SIP challenge :D and had managed to reach Spellhold. Lvl 23 Sorceror. Had a break recently due to work. :(

Btw, add me as a friend!! Especially Baldur's Gate's aficionados! :D

Locke562

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Locke562
Member since 2004 • 7673 Posts
Sounds... Insane and something I'd like to try :D
foggy666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 foggy666
Member since 2003 • 1123 Posts
i didnt even know something like that was possible
-Dartagnan-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 -Dartagnan-
Member since 2007 • 104 Posts

I have not tried that, though I have tried (and beaten) it solo insane hardcore

hardcore - play through the entire game without dying once, if you do die, you have to start over.

Shimmerweed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Shimmerweed

i didnt even know something like that was possiblefoggy666

Well. Not all characters can SIP since most characters are too item-dependent to do so. The only viable option imo is the sorceror. :D

I have not tried that, though I have tried (and beaten) it solo insane hardcore

hardcore - play through the entire game without dying once, if you do die, you have to start over.

-Dartagnan-

Omg. U seriously tried that?? Mayb I'l try a SIPH challenge when I'm done with SIP. I bet its gonna be a heck load more difficult. And without any single items too.

Sounds... Insane and something I'd like to try :DLocke562

Yeah.. The ultimate challenge for Baldur's Gate. U definitely have to give it a try someday. :D And if u do succeed. Grats. U are now among the very very few who had braved that challenge alive.. :lol:

teardropmina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 teardropmina
Member since 2006 • 2806 Posts

I know plenty of people tried and completed solo insane, but the "poverty" seems rare if ever tried.

as for the hardcore, there have people tried no reload game (not just you cannot die, you simply do not reload) and made it.

as for your idea, I'd like to know more -- so you have Watcher's Keep, then you actually want to do SoA-ToB. vanilla? or add some mods?

sorcerer is indeed the most powerful single class, but since you have want to go through Watcher's Keep, the no magic area will give you trouble. People who solo with Sorcerer usually have a mod item to do it. If you've gone through the area without any mod item, I'd like to know how you did it.

Kenasi-Thief would also be a good choice to do this crazy thing.

aaronmullan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7 aaronmullan
Member since 2004 • 33425 Posts
Sounds Insane!
Shimmerweed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Shimmerweed

I know plenty of people tried and completed solo insane, but the "poverty" seems rare if ever tried.

as for the hardcore, there have people tried no reload game (not just you cannot die, you simply do not reload) and made it.

as for your idea, I'd like to know more -- so you have Watcher's Keep, then you actually want to do SoA-ToB. vanilla? or add some mods?

sorcerer is indeed the most powerful single class, but since you have want to go through Watcher's Keep, the no magic area will give you trouble. People who solo with Sorcerer usually have a mod item to do it. If you've gone through the area without any mod item, I'd like to know how you did it.

Kenasi-Thief would also be a good choice to do this crazy thing.

teardropmina

Ive tried Watcher's Keep previously with my Sorceror in Solo Insane but not Poverty. Managed to reach Demogorgon but I cant defeat him. He is way to hard. ( Especially with his damnable gaze of insanity or something. )

But that's quite sometime ago. Im currently at Chapter 4. The one where Jon captures u in Spellhold. And the game version Ive been using is the one with the latest patch, ( robe of vecna patch if I'm not mistaken ). Ahh. Yes. Ive decided to beat the game ( including ToB using my SIP sorceror, and my trusty quarterstaff :lol: ), still in progress tho' :D

And yes. The no-magic area is certainly troublesome, very annoying but its do-able. Well. Havent tried that with my SIP sorceror tho'. But with the right equips, its definitely possible to bypass or even overcome the NM area. Hmm. Actually I cant really recall much about Watcher's Keep. I'l keep in mind about that after I reached the last level ( SIP ).

Ahh the kensai thief. Havent tried that build b4. But I once used a swashbuckler ( b4 the patch ) and made quite a decent progress thru WK. ( buggy traps are so much fun ).

And talking about mods. Im downloading something from Gamespot... BG The Darkest Chapter. Supposed to be a mod that includes extra content. Wondering if its gonna work tho. Or its just a dupe. But my official version of the SIP challenge is SoA + ToB. :D

Jinroh_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Jinroh_basic
Member since 2002 • 6413 Posts

playing solo would take about half the fun outta the game and therefore is entirely pointless. i would understand why people would play Ice Wind Dale games solo, but BG2? a mighty waste of a great game.

Shimmerweed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Shimmerweed

playing solo would take about half the fun outta the game and therefore is entirely pointless. i would understand why people would play Ice Wind Dale games solo, but BG2? a mighty waste of a great game.

Jinroh_basic

Agreed. I played the game on a whole party first of course. It adds plenty of depth, tons of party customization options and side quests. U wouldnt think I'l try solo-ing without first completing the story, did u ?? :D

Jinroh_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Jinroh_basic

for sure. :) so what's your team like? in my first playthro i have --

frontline: myself ( a pure fighter ), Mincs, Valygar

support: Anomen, Aerie, Imoen.

overall, not a very good lineup. Aerie was pretty crap, not to mention a constant whiner. i wasn't quite a savy back then, and you can see my team is pretty weak in terms of magic abilities. also, i'm not a fan of multi/dual classing so i've always picked a pure class. but all the same, i had a BLAST. :) right now i'm playing as a monk.....cool class, albeit abit weak in the 1st chapter.

teardropmina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 teardropmina

playing solo would take about half the fun outta the game and therefore is entirely pointless.

Jinroh_basic

many love the game precisely because of group interactopn, but we do have our share of power gamers in BG community. Think about it, those days this was the only game we really played, and most vetrans knew the game inside and outside, digging every single possible party banter in vanilla game....after that, people would try crazy things...solo of course was attractive for power gamers, since the PC is going to take all exp and imagine a sorcerer can cast time-stop midway through the SoA~~

I'm self don't do solo and there are tons of NPC mods out there for me^^"

Aerie was pretty crap, not to mention a constant whiner.Jinroh_basic

Aerie actually is probably the most powerful Bioware NPC, (well, I'm magic love and so biased) starts out a bit weak of course buy that's what a group of six for, getting her out of harm's way and letting her help a bit first and later on she'll be fearsome.

Shimmerweed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Shimmerweed

Hmm. Its been years since my first playthru'. If im not mistaken, my first team was Me ( Ranger ), Jan Jansen ( Whacky old fella :lol: ), Aerie ( Yeah.... kinda weak imo but perhaps ur rite teardropmina since i did not hav the expansion at that time. :shock: ), Anomen, Keldorn and Jaheira. :D

I was a newbie at the time and struggled to even get past the first stage. :lol: I even remembered wasting hours trying to kill Kangaxx the demi-lich. First time thru was very tough and occasionally frustrating. But its the best RPG experience I had in a long time. :D

Anyway. Just finished Spellhold. At the Sahuagin's now. lvl 25 sorc. :D

Jinroh_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Jinroh_basic
just one thing i've never quite figured out tho ( probably becoz i was never a power gamer ) -- do you have to do all of the sidequests ( including the party-member-specific quests, which means you have to recruit every available npc at least once ) to reach the level cap in SoA? i didn't, and my entire party is somewhere between 15 to 18....Valygar was L14 when i fought Irenicus in the last chapter....gosh.....
Jinroh_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Jinroh_basic
about Aerie...i don't know....she performs reasonably well as a priest/mage hybrid, i guess...but she lacks the stats to truly shine in either class..... as a hybrid support, i think Anomen is much more useful -- and his quests are quite dramatic as well.
Shimmerweed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Shimmerweed
Well I think even after doing every single quest in SoA and ToB u wun reach the level cap since ToB has an experience cap of 8million. And thats alot! Virtually unlimited imo for a party of six. But... if u solo... u'l probably reach the max level of around 30+ at SoA's final chapter. :lol: And that is a pain the ***. :D
Shimmerweed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Shimmerweed

about Aerie...i don't know....she performs reasonably well as a priest/mage hybrid, i guess...but she lacks the stats to truly shine in either class..... as a hybrid support, i think Anomen is much more useful -- and his quests are quite dramatic as well. Jinroh_basic

Yeah I prefer Anomen to Aerie as well. But thats just me. Aerie has a rather pleasant disposition tho' lol :D Anyway. If u do solo u'l find SoA exceptionally easy and ToB much much harder than a party of six. Last I played a solo sorc ( with equips ), I defeated Jon Irenicus in jus 1 turn. ( Chain contingency : on sight of enemy : 3x Abi Dalzim's Horrid Wilting + Spell Trigger : 3x Skull Trap ) :D:D:D

Oh !! Monks!! Love em. Tried one b4. Gets really freakingly powerful in SoA but doesnt really shine in ToB due to all those annoying resistance to magical weapons n stuff. And that Balthazar ... was... one... hell.... of...a...monk... If only my monk could be that strong.... :D

Jinroh_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Jinroh_basic

i think you mean the little...suprise that she has in store for you in ToB?

Shimmerweed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Shimmerweed
Ahh.... Sadly. I did not bring her along to ToB since it was my third playthru at that time and my party did not include Aerie so.... :cry: *nudge nudge* surprise?? What happened in ToB? :shock:
Jinroh_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Jinroh_basic
the only thing our maker has will for every couple....i'll leave the details out, wouldn't wanna spoil it fer the rest of the guys :)
teardropmina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 teardropmina

@ Simmerwee,

did you just start play BG2 recently? sorry I have to ask since you don't seem to know much about BG2 mods. There are official Bioware patches you certainly need to have them installed, but there are tons of other things out there made by fans.
there are unofficial patches and fix packs (fix= makes the game more in accord to true D&D rules) and there are mods -- items, new quests, NPC (fans create new joinable NPCs, some even come with sound sets) and improved battles (the most famous being the tactics) and more.
if you've already know all these, I'm sorry, but if not, well, tough battle mods are great for power gamers and veterans, especially improved Bodhi, the SoA finale, and of course the unparrelle ToB Ascension (no PC game, for whatever genre, has such epic battle ever)

as for the no magic area - in one of the WK levels, there are no magic rooms (all magic casting would fail) and wild magic rooms (all magic casting surge-- like wild mage!!). in no magic rooms you fight tough demons.

and I read your SIP again...well, just a staff? that won't do with Kenasi->Thief. But this SIP is too biased to spellcasters and monk.
since it's solo and thus leveling up quite fast, I think multi-****s Fighter-Mage, Cleric -Mage and such would probably be also possible of doing it.

teardropmina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 teardropmina

about Aerie...i don't know....she performs reasonably well as a priest/mage hybrid, i guess...but she lacks the stats to truly shine in either class..... as a hybrid support, i think Anomen is much more useful -- Jinroh_basic

that's fine though, it's different playing style= I'm a magickholic so I prefer Aerie, romance or not. well, she's the rare Bioware NPC that can go one on one with Draconis and finish him off.

Shimmerweed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Shimmerweed

I started a few years back. :) Um . I dun think I'd installed any mods so far tho' I'm downloading BG The Darkest Day atm. That's a mod rite? Anyway, I updated my BG with the v23037 patch from Bioware ( downloaded from gamespot :D ). Ive been looking for some great mods / fixes but I did not install any since Im afraid that its gonna spoil the whole BG experience. Hmm u mentioned something of an improved Bodhi, SoA finale and the ToB Ascension. Are those included in the fan-made mods / fixes ? It certainly sounds intriguing, might check it out later. :D

Oh and the NM area and the wild magic area. Those I recall are excruciatingly annoying since I dun try to kill something I cant kill, I just ran past them. But sometimes I ended up being entangled, incapacitated etc. So its a save/load/luck thing for me that level. :D But its great fun figuring the exit. ( I even drew a map ! :lol: - but some areas overlap and that really made my head spin... )

And yes. With the poverty requirement. Only the sorceror is the viable option since all others are way too item-dependent to live without equips. :D And yeah. Multi-classing characters are really effective in a SI game. Eg Fighter/Mage. Pretty fun too. :lol:

the only thing our maker has will for every couple....i'll leave the details out, wouldn't wanna spoil it fer the rest of the guys :)Jinroh_basic

Ahh.... ooook. I'l try Aerie next round. Interesting.... :lol:

teardropmina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 teardropmina

Last I played a solo sorc ( with equips ), I defeated Jon Irenicus in jus 1 turn. ( Chain contingency : on sight of enemy : 3x Abi Dalzim's Horrid Wilting + Spell Trigger : 3x Skull Trap ) :D:D:D

Shimmerweed

you should really try tactics improved Irenicus. well, the SoA finale is underwhleming to say the least (not so bad compared to Bioware's latest Mass Effect, but still for an epic game like that, the end battle should be much much more).

Shimmerweed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Shimmerweed

Yeah.. I was kinda dissappointed too. But I'd a sense of achievement after defeating him in one single turn. Its so satisfying considering I kinda took half an hour trying tons of different approaches during my first playthru' to defeat him. Ah. U mentioned something of a Tactics Improved Irenicus. Great! I'l try googling. :D thanks!

Oh :cry: too bad my comp cant handle ME's graphical requirements. Getting a decent laptop next year tho'. :D

teardropmina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 teardropmina

I started a few years back. :) Um . I dun think I'd installed any mods so far tho' I'm downloading BG The Darkest Day atm. That's a mod rite? Anyway, I updated my BG with the v23037 patch from Bioware ( downloaded from gamespot :D ). Ive been looking for some great mods / fixes but I did not install any since Im afraid that its gonna spoil the whole BG experience. Hmm u mentioned something of an improved Bodhi, SoA finale and the ToB Ascension. Are those included in the fan-made mods / fixes ? It certainly sounds intriguing, might check it out later. :D

Shimmerweed

Darkest Day is a famous big-scale quest mod. well, SoA-ToB mods are made by true fans, and mostly aim to enhance the BG experience rather than spoil it. and of course I wouldn't recommand any mod to fresh new gamer, since the vanilla game should be played as it is at least once....then, again, and again, and you become too familiar with the game, mods come along.

there are many BG fan sites around the net, and some of BG forums are still active today, not as much traffic as back in the days, but still^^ and you can find most mod info on those sites. and there are tons of mods...pick the ones you like and try them out.

Shimmerweed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Shimmerweed
Can u install multiple mods? Like the Solaufein NPC mod + Tactics + New Items : Cespenar mod + Darkest Day ? :D