ATT U-Verse vs Comcast?? (reliable service for gaming) **POLL**

• 53 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 BSC14
Member since 2002 • 4187 Posts

I know this is not really JUST game related but I'm moving and these are the two options I have. I pretty much only game online so I want reliable service.

So opinions please.

Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Inconsistancy
Member since 2004 • 8094 Posts
In my (limited) experience, Comcast has been much more reliable than ATT slow-disconnection-and-constant-packet-loss-verse.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

In my (limited) experience, Comcast has been much more reliable than ATT slow-disconnection-and-constant-packet-loss-verse.Inconsistancy

This. Both aren't known for the best service, but at least comcast gives you the speed you pay for.  Had AT&T for years, was complete ass, not only the cusomer service, but the speed, price, uptime.  Comcast is the lesser of two evils and can be quite good overall as long as you dont need to be in contact with them a lot

Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Cwagmire21
Member since 2007 • 5896 Posts

In my area, (Atlanta, GA), AT&T had a huge outage problem that everyone was without cable, internet, phone, etc. for nearly a full day. I'd never go with AT&T. I actually don't use either. I have Charter. It's okay. Got it mostly because its cheapest.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
Member since 2008 • 17476 Posts

Although they have a bad reputation, comcast treats me very well. I'm not sure if our service is an exception or what the deal is.

I get higher speeds than i pay for; pay for 25Mbps down get 30-40Mbps commonly. They upgraded my service and lowered the bill completely of their own accord; went from $75 to $55 with higher speeds and more channels. They technically have a bandwidth limit it has never been enforced (actually says the limit is suspended on my account). I rarely experience service drops or disconnects.

I have a friend who has ATT and has issues pretty much daily with the service.

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

I have ATT, and while I've never had Comcast as it's not available in my area, I can't see how it could be worse than what I've had to deal with under ATT. I'd go with Comcast. 

psn8214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 psn8214
Member since 2009 • 14930 Posts

Comcast was better than ATT for me. Fios trumps 'em all though. 

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts
I've got Uverse, utter shit, and that's putting it nicely. Constant connection drops, sometimes service slows to a crawl. I'd go with comcast.
Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

I get higher speeds than i pay for; pay for 25Mbps down get 30-40Mbps commonly. They upgraded my service and lowered the bill completely of their own accord; went from $75 to $55 with higher speeds and more channels. They technically have a bandwidth limit it has never been enforced (actually says the limit is suspended on my account). I rarely experience service drops or disconnects.

ferret-gamer

ATT is bad everywhere. Everyone I know including myself had switched, I either convinced my friends or they themselves had for cable. One of them even try upgrading to the best speed and only get ~half of what they are asking which at that point cable is better. @TC if you have fios in the area and can afford it you may want to consider that.

Comcast doesn't sound bad from what you are saying from your experience, is too bad I have shady Charter, you can only dream of them ever doing anything for you. They stop bumping the speeds automatically, you have to change the service yourself, so you may end up paying for slower speeds for the same price. Anything to short change you... sorry had to vent a bit. Still I would never go to ATT ever.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Comcast. Nothing beats Verizon FiOS, though. Best internet I've ever had.

Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Inconsistancy
Member since 2004 • 8094 Posts

Although they have a bad reputation, comcast treats me very well. I'm not sure if our service is an exception or what the deal is.

ferret-gamer
I pay for 25Mbps too, get 57.4 all day.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#12 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

airshocker
This. Verizon is the way to go if they service your area.
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

If it was ATT DSL, not u-verse, then DSL would be better. u-verse runs in interleaved mode and ruins ping times. Normal ATT DSL runs in fastpath, bandwidth is a lot smaller yes, but latency is much lower, better than Comcast and there is nearly no jitter. Use comcast.

Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Cwagmire21

[QUOTE="airshocker"]

Elann2008

Not available in my area. Not sure why. I'm 30 minutes from Atlanta. Definitely a heavily populated area. Dumb. :(

EDIT: Wow so assuming this is sort of up-to-date, looks like I'm screwed...

Link.

Need to talk to the wife about moving out of state. :P

sirk1264

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#15 sirk1264
Member since 2003 • 6242 Posts
I think Comcast is overpriced with their services but their Internet is far better than U-Verse. Never had a problem gaming with Comcast Internet.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Elann2008

[QUOTE="Elann2008"][QUOTE="airshocker"]

Cwagmire21

Not available in my area. Not sure why. I'm 30 minutes from Atlanta. Definitely a heavily populated area. Dumb. :(

EDIT: Wow so assuming this is sort of up-to-date, looks like I'm screwed...

Link.

Need to talk to the wife about moving out of state. :P

"Although Verizon FiOS is consistently expanding to other states, Verizon FiOS may never reach Georgia. However, there are currently many other high speed internet service providers to choose from in Georgia."

Damn.  Could be another 5-10 years until you read of any new updates.  And "it may never."  That sucks.  I guess the demand isn't there yet even though Atlanta is heavily populated with you being only 30 mins away.  But then again, fiber optics is becoming a standard.  Eventually.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#17 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

I was gonna say that it depends on where you live (because it does), but I have little experience with ATT U-verse. It was interesting to see all the h8 threads. I have biz class Comcast, and while I pay out the nose for it, I've had no issues with it in the two houses I've lived in (different cities) since the service started. FIOS would likely be better, but since I have no idea if/when it'll show up in CO I just signed a 3 year contract with Comcast.

I believe my service is supposed to be 34/8 and this is my actual:

Customer service isn't great unless you shell out the bucks for biz class, and even then it's not awesome. The service is pretty solid, though.

-Byshop

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 JigglyWiggly_

I was gonna say that it depends on where you live (because it does), but I have little experience with ATT U-verse. It was interesting to see all the h8 threads. I have biz class Comcast, and while I pay out the nose for it, I've had no issues with it in the two houses I've lived in (different cities) since the service started. FIOS would likely be better, but since I have no idea if/when it'll show up in CO I just signed a 3 year contract with Comcast.

Customer service isn't great unless you shell out the bucks for biz class, and even then it's not awesome. The service is pretty solid, though.

-Byshop

Byshop
cute   Should be 260/55
Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Cwagmire21

[QUOTE="Byshop"]

-Byshop

JigglyWiggly_

cute   Should be 260/55

He has better ping. :P

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 JigglyWiggly_

[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"][QUOTE="Byshop"]

-Byshop

Cwagmire21

cute   Should be 260/55

ofc laggy waggly
Nighteg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#21 Nighteg
Member since 2009 • 334 Posts
I have no idea what these thing are, but i voted for the first cause it sounds like a robot from Star Wars.
slipknot0129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 slipknot0129
Member since 2008 • 5832 Posts

It depends on where you live. Comcast could be super laggy on one street and not the other. FACT.

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

[QUOTE="Byshop"]

-Byshop

JigglyWiggly_

cute   Should be 260/55

You guys are making me cry. 

2746692468.png

Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Cwagmire21

You guys are making me cry. 

2746692468.png

Vari3ty

I've been there before. I feel your pain. :(

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 wis3boi

:P

Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Cwagmire21

I guess I'll join in the fun.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"][QUOTE="Byshop"]

-Byshop

Cwagmire21

cute   Should be 260/55

I win for ping :D

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Byshop  Moderator

My point is that I consistently get that speed without any noticable drops in bandwidth. I use my connection a lot, both for remote work, gaming, ISO image downloads, moving VHDs, etc. The speeds that my provider says I'll get are exactly what I get if not more. This was a concern when I moved into my new house because it's always a crap shoot, but I've lived in two places in Colorado with pretty much exactly the same level of service from Comcast.

-Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

My point is that I consistently get that speed without any noticable drops in bandwidth. I use my connection a lot, both for remote work, gaming, ISO image downloads, moving VHDs, etc. The speeds that my provider says I'll get are exactly what I get if not more. This was a concern when I moved into my new house because it's always a crap shoot, but I've lived in two places in Colorado with pretty much exactly the same level of service from Comcast.

-Byshop

Byshop
Why did you go for business class comcast? It seems like you get pretty similar speeds to me, and looking at pricing, probably pay more than twice as much for it.
Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Byshop  Moderator

Why did you go for business class comcast? It seems like you get pretty similar speeds to me, and looking at pricing, probably pay more than twice as much for it. ferret-gamer

Biz class in various areas varies in terms of what you get for the extra money, but the primary reason I switched is because it takes away my 250GB monthly cap. It also allows me to get statics, which I can't do with consumer Comcast in my area. I dropped cable years ago and instead put that money into better internet. You'll find cheaper options in other parts of the country (I doubt Jiggly is paying as much as I am for his much faster connection), but you do what you can with what's available in your area.

-Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

[QUOTE="ferret-gamer"]Why did you go for business class comcast? It seems like you get pretty similar speeds to me, and looking at pricing, probably pay more than twice as much for it. Byshop

Biz class in various areas varies in terms of what you get for the extra money, but the primary reason I switched is because it takes away my 250GB monthly cap. It also allows me to get statics, which I can't do with consumer Comcast in my area. I dropped cable years ago and instead put that money into better internet. You'll find cheaper options in other parts of the country (I doubt Jiggly is paying as much as I am for his much faster connection), but you do what you can with what's available in your area.

-Byshop

They removed the bandwidth cap on my account as well :P But i guess where you are may have different service in your area and make do with what you can. Comparable speeds to yours from business class would cost around $150 for me, and that just seems way to much, and business class just wouldn't have enough pros to make the extra cost worth it.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Byshop  Moderator

They removed the bandwidth cap on my account as well :P But i guess where you are may have different service in your area and make do with what you can. Comparable speeds to yours from business class would cost around $150 for me, and that just seems way to much, and business class just wouldn't have enough pros to make the extra cost worth it.

ferret-gamer

That's cool that they removed your cap. That's a key element for me. Although I rarely exceed it, I like to know that I don't have to worry about it. The additional IPs are also a big help, because for work I play with a number of services that require their own dedicated external IPs. In my area, biz class also comes with a fatter upstream relative to the residential service. I have a Plex server and I stream to myself via tablet, phone and laptop when I travel. This has replaced me loading up a tablet with 10 hours of video before I fly somewhere, and it's awesome.

Jiggly, how much do you pay and do you have a cap?

-Byshop

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Elann2008

That Comcast is darn good.. Damn Jiggly... which plan you rockin' man? Geez! I'm forced to use U-Verse because of my area. Charter in my city is horrible.. lots of drops, bad pings, and seems to be the case for my cousins who live in Alhambra, CA as well. Verizon is out of my budget for what I need so I went with AT&T U-Verse.

BF3 feels a lot smoother over what I've experienced with Time Warner Cable, but that cost more.  For my needs, U-Verse is okay for now. I haven't experienced any drops, or horrendous pings. I'll definitely make the switch to Verizon if I could free up some more money. Rent is expensive where i live hah.

Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

Geez! I'm forced to use U-Verse because of my area. Charter in my city is horrible.. lots of drops, bad pings, and seems to be the case for my cousins who live in Alhambra, CA as well. Verizon is out of my budget for what I need so I went with AT&T U-Verse.

Elann2008

Almost close enough to be my neighbor o.o scary.

2747227375.png

... Yeah I think the main is there yet the results... charter for you.

Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Cwagmire21

That Comcast is darn good.. Damn Jiggly... which plan you rockin' man? Geez! I'm forced to use U-Verse because of my area. Charter in my city is horrible.. lots of drops, bad pings, and seems to be the case for my cousins who live in Alhambra, CA as well. Verizon is out of my budget for what I need so I went with AT&T U-Verse.

BF3 feels a lot smoother over what I've experienced with Time Warner Cable, but that cost more.  For my needs, U-Verse is okay for now. I haven't experienced any drops, or horrendous pings. I'll definitely make the switch to Verizon if I could free up some more money. Rent is expensive where i live hah.

Elann2008

Yah Charter for my buddy in another town about 2 hours from me drops for him all the time. He hates it. In the nearly 7 months that I've had Charter in my town, I've had no issues.

AT&T came to my house and wanted to charge me double (dedicated line, but slower speed), but I haven't noticed a significant drop in bandwidth to warrant paying $80 per month instead of $40

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 wis3boi

[QUOTE="Elann2008"]

Cwagmire21

Yah Charter for my buddy in another town about 2 hours from me drops for him all the time. He hates it. In the nearly 7 months that I've had Charter in my town, I've had no issues.

AT&T came to my house and wanted to charge me double (dedicated line, but slower speed), but I haven't noticed a significant drop in bandwidth to warrant paying $80 per month instead of $40

last I had AT&T they where charging the house $80 for the 3mbps package, and only giving us 256k.  Call them and what do they say? It's our problem -_-

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Elann2008

[QUOTE="Cwagmire21"]

[QUOTE="Elann2008"]

wis3boi

last I had AT&T they where charging the house $80 for the 3mbps package, and only giving us 256k.  Call them and what do they say? It's our problem -_-

Yeah, AT&T had some horrible DSL packages several years ago. 3mbps package was expensive. I'm using U-Verse for $57, TV (which I don't even watch), Fiber Optic, and home LAN line. I am on the 24mbps plan.
Iantheone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Iantheone
Member since 2007 • 8242 Posts
I get the triple thing from comcast. Pretty damn cheap for what I get. Im pretty happy with the service so far
Avatar image for themagicbum9720
themagicbum9720

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 themagicbum9720
Member since 2007 • 6536 Posts

comcast is better. i have my own wired connection now, used to be on wireless for a few years. picture of my old and new speeds in the spoiler. my parents have fios and my speeds are a lot faster and i think they're paying more than i am.

[spoiler]

2e3aarl.jpg

[/spoiler]

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 JigglyWiggly_

Elann2008

2x105
1x50 megabit
1x25 megabit, but not using this
and a dsl modem for video games, automatically done by firewall rules in pfsense for certain ports

load balanced in pfsense, e5300, 2 gigs of ram, using nanobsd build atm though

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 BSC14
Member since 2002 • 4187 Posts

Well it looks like I'll be going with Comcast.

Woe2spread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Woe2spread
Member since 2009 • 280 Posts
i live in mo and my att uverse is great. no problems what so ever. this is KC area tho. idk. no problems in 5 years eh. not one single bad thing happened. get google when it comes to town tho. 1gb download speed sir lol. who are we kidding with that kinda leeway....:P uverse gives 1.1mb dl lol. what is this lol ? 1984 lol.
ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#44 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts
i live in mo and my att uverse is great. no problems what so ever. this is KC area tho. idk. no problems in 5 years eh. not one single bad thing happened. get google when it comes to town tho. 1gb download speed sir lol. who are we kidding with that kinda leeway....:P uverse gives 1.1mb dl lol. what is this lol ? 1984 lol.Woe2spread
No problems with 1.1mb, that I would consider a problem dude. Anything under 10 mb should be criminal.
Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Byshop  Moderator

2x105
1x50 megabit
and a dsl modem for video games, automatically done by firewall rules in pfsense for certain ports

JigglyWiggly_

Lol, I would love to have an internet connection fast enough that I have to run GigE from my MODEM. :lol:

How much are you paying and do you have a transfer cap? What's teh service plan?

-Byshop

James00715

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 James00715
Member since 2003 • 2484 Posts

U-Verse isn't available where I live. I have a choice of Comcast or CenteryLink. Now, CenturyLink used to be Qwest where I live. Everyone I talked to said they hated it and only used it because they couldn't afford Comcast's exorbitant prices. In my experience Comcast has had pretty good uptime and very little problems. The only bad thing is I seem to be in a high usage neighborhood. I only get about 60% of the advertised speed. Also, pings to most game servers are around 50ms, which may be too high for a serious multiplayer shooter player. The only games I play online regularly are MMOs. The ping seems good enough for that.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 JigglyWiggly_

[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]

2x105
1x50 megabit

Byshop

Lol, I would love to have an internet connection fast enough that I have to run GigE from my MODEM. :lol:

How much are you paying and do you have a transfer cap? What's teh service plan?

-Byshop

somethings are better not known
it's 2x105, that would be two plans
and then a 50 megabit plan

i used to have 4x100 megabits in 2011 

I miss old comcast

Comcast doesn't have caps atm

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Byshop  Moderator

somethings are better not known

it's 2x105, that would be two plans
and then a 50 megabit plan

i used to have 4x100 megabits in 2011 

I miss old comcast

Comcast doesn't have caps atm

JigglyWiggly_

I rescind my previous statement that I'm probably spending more money than you. The plans in your area appear to the comparable to the ones in my area, you just have more of them.

I hope work is covering at least some of that.

-Byshop

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#50 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts
I have Uverse with AT&T and aside from the bandwidth cap, I never have problems. My friend in Chicago has Comcast, and has nothing but trouble with his service. Don't know if that's indicative of the services as a whole.