Are you disappointed about Hellgate:London?

• 71 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Chasgn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#51 Chasgn1
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts
I'm amazed by all this hate for HGL. It's exactly what I expected to be and I'm having a blast with it. My only gripe with it at all so far is the minor bugs that it still has.
igor3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 igor3r
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

[QUOTE="captalchol"]The only people who hyped it were diablo 2 fanboys. .murekkep
Because it comes from diablo2's developers and even themselves say that it will be similiar to diablo.

Exactly!!! And while the hacking and slashing is very similar the story progression is not. Remember the cool tomes you found during the game in Diablo. How every end of an Act came with an awesome cut-scene and how every boss fight made a lot of sense in the whole progression. Not to mension the eery background music....

That's all gone in HGL... the end of an act you just pass through some library or past Templar like castle/throne room have a bit of dialogue and somebody from Monty Python reading from a book..... I only found out I was in ActII when I took a look at the map that came with the game.

Also Diablo had complete voice overs....

panospcm1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 panospcm1
Member since 2005 • 35 Posts

the game is great. Seems a little rushed but once you get past the minor bugs its awesome. I've always wanted an High Tech Sci-FI RPG and this is the best i can get so far. Item customization and randomization like you've never seen before.

This game is all about mindless but addictive fun action. If you like this kind of gameplay then its the best you will get. If you dont, go play Crysis with it awesome graphics @ 10 FPS ^_^and leave this game alone. It deverves much better than a bunch of blizzard fanboys bashing it.

mfsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#54 mfsa
Member since 2007 • 3328 Posts

I'm not disappointed, but there is something about the game that feels lacklustre. I just can't pinpoint exactly what it is. I'm playing the game single player, which I know is exactly what you shouldn't be doing with a game like Hellgate - but I used to play D2 single player, and used to enjoy it.

I think what it is is that i'm playing the game as a Hunter. Hunters are boring. I'm level 10ish and I have skill and ability points from level 6 to spend, the game is so easy and boring right now. I just shoot consantly and back away from anything that comes near me, or circle strafe it.

I think that's the biggest problem with the game. It sucks as a rpg shooter. The combat is boring as hell, and there isn't much of a sense of he RPG-ness when playing it as a run n gun game.

Plus, maybe it's just me, but the character development doesn't seem quite as good (as diablo 2). There aren't as many items dropping, and the upgrades seem superficial. Plus, the skills on the skill tree seem almost unimportant, and I've hardly even given them a cursory glance. In D2 I spent great lengths of time studying the skills, wondering what kind of character I would build. For Hellgate, it doesn't actually seem to matter.

I still think the game is great, though, and I think i'm just experiencing the worst the game has to offer. I'm gonna play a melee class online as soon as my friend gets it, and i'm sure I'll have an opposite experiences. I am a little disappointed to find out that I'm going to have to pay for higher difficulties. If I can only play through hellgate once and that's it, then I will frown in the approximate direction i believe Flagship Studios is situated. One of the best things about D2 was how big the game was, when starting a new adventure, you knew that there were 99 levels and 3 difficulties ahead of you. With HG:L, i'm wondering if i can "finish" the nonsubscriber game in under a week, and then that's it.

Still, I don't regret my purchase, I just think it's going to find itself taking a back seat to games like The Witcher and TF2.

Realmjumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#55 Realmjumper
Member since 2007 • 845 Posts
Well the melee class is fun if you don't like shooting. I like the Guardian class since it has a shield to protect you. Definately try out melee if you're bored of range.
TheCrazed420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 TheCrazed420
Member since 2003 • 7661 Posts
Yeah, Im having a blast playing a Blademaster. Awesome skills with a lot of variety, and your character starts to look really badass once you get up to about lvl 20...
GreyDarienFox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 GreyDarienFox
Member since 2007 • 45 Posts
To me it was the opposite of disapointment. Whatever teh word is. At first, I thougth I won't like the game and that it's nothing special, but when I tried teh demo I liked it. A lot.
can0of0cheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#58 can0of0cheese
Member since 2006 • 233 Posts

I would say it's the noobs that are always complaining, like compare fps graphics to rpg graphics!? That's like complaining about the limited gear in same categories. There are always more noobs complaining than pros, probly cause the noobs dwell in larger numbers. I even saw a threed comparing hellgate to oblivion, and a guy complaining that hellgate felt like diablo2 lol. Just count the stupid complaints and measure them up with the resonable and you will know im right.

kweeky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#59 kweeky
Member since 2003 • 278 Posts
Eh. I've had a blast so far with it. :)
livespawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 livespawn
Member since 2005 • 479 Posts
i enjoy it , but i dont enjoy it crashing every 20 min
-Origin-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#61 -Origin-
Member since 2007 • 1816 Posts

I'm thinking of buying it to play alone, I really enjoyed Diablo II alot ! and I enjoyed getting loot and all that kinda stuff so I'm still thinking about buying it.

doomsoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#62 doomsoth
Member since 2003 • 10094 Posts
I was expecting more out of the people who developed Diablo.
Jack810625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Jack810625
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
Been playing it this week-end. Really like the gameplay, but I live in South Africa. For anyone who does not know that is at the tip of darkest Africa and we are reliant on the worst telecomunications in the world. A standerd ADSL line is 384kb/s and if you got lotsa cash you can get up to 1mb/s(trial 4mb/s). Its expensive and you need even more money to afford a cap bigger than 5gb. So by taking away the LAN option I can't play with my friends. I know they don't want to have fake servers go up, but one of the reasons I got the game was to play with my friends instead of SOLO.
delirin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 delirin
Member since 2003 • 745 Posts

I'm thinking of buying it to play alone, I really enjoyed Diablo II alot ! and I enjoyed getting loot and all that kinda stuff so I'm still thinking about buying it.

-Origin-

If you can you should really consider playing it at a friends house or trying the demo first. It's that bad. Hell, beta accounts are still active and you can try one of mine if you download the client and PM me.

5nake3yes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#65 5nake3yes
Member since 2007 • 30 Posts

I wrote a shortreview shortly after trying the demo for my clan webby.

"I wasn't sure about this one and im still not sure. It feels in terms of play like a dumbed down version of World of Warcraft mixed in with a bit of dungeon siege and the demonic pressence of diablo. Weapons and armour can be modded and upgraded so you can build your perfect spec for how you like to fight which is kind of cool. The fighting if im totally honest got really really boring after a while, all you do is run around in 3rd person and hack things down or shoot them up. Theres nothing particularly difficult in the demo. That brings me to the other complaint, the levels are incredibly linear. Essentially you just run down streets with the odd building to explore in (which all have the same layout), it just seems as though they have cut and pasted all the levels and buildings and just called it somewhere different. Graphics wise the game is very good, stunning effects, stunning visuals. Again though its let down by the fact that virtually nothing is destroyable, you are running around a wasteland of wrecked cars and telephone boxes that cant be dented never mind destroyed. Overall not that impressed."

Suffice to say I cancelled my pre-order.

Avatar image for smokeydabear076
smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 smokeydabear076
Member since 2004 • 22109 Posts
i enjoy it , but i dont enjoy it crashing every 20 minlivespawn
Yeah it is doing that on my best rig. It works fine on my older PCs though. I really have to wonder why it does that.
Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

hmmm. how can I put this, without bieng misunderstood...

I am disappointed yes, but for me it is not about gfx, or game mechanics, for me it is the feel, or flow of the game that bugs me the most... It just seems to lack the "kick in your teeth" that the Diablo games was... something that is hard to point out is just missing.

It is not a bad game, by all account, It simply doessnt appeal to me at all.

(kinda shocked when I realiced this considering I playied Diablo 1+2 for a long long time) My guess is that it is because it is of another generation, it lacks the charm that made the others big.

SentientGames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#68 SentientGames
Member since 2004 • 633 Posts

I like it a lot. As far as graphics, the only things that look subparare the other player models - they look pretty bad. But your character, the NPCs, the environments, and the mosters are look pretty damn good.

I'm not sure how long the limited quests and environments will keep me entertained, but it's a blast when you play with friends. I'm not one for teaming up with complete strangers, so I play with my g/f and my brother. I'm a Guardian, my brother is a Marksman, and my g/f is a summoner. It's great online co-op. Hopefully there will be a reason to subscribe in the next couple of months.

GF_COBRA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 GF_COBRA
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
If i liked dungeon siege would i like this game ?
lycrof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 lycrof
Member since 2005 • 6393 Posts
I am really liking it so far. The start is a little slow, but it gets good when you get to the museum. I am playing a Summoner. The game looks good enough. It runs well on my rig and I only have expierinced one glitch.
omerdv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 omerdv
Member since 2005 • 1071 Posts

Is it really worth trying the full game? is the gameplay still as boring and crappy as the demo?

I really want to like this game, but I can't because of the gameplay, which is is really bad...is there any defferent between the demo's gameplay and the full game's gameplay?