Are SSDs are going to get price drop any time soon?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12809 Posts

I'm thinking on getting 840 EVO 120Gb SSD, problem it's really expensive (well 120$ where I live at least)

Also unsure if to use it for installed games or OS included? boot time doesn't bother me and I don't use heavy softwares

gunmaster55555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 gunmaster55555
Member since 2009 • 712 Posts

I would use it for OS. You can buy a 120gig kingston on amazon for 70$ right now.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#4 vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts

I personally don't think an SSD just for your OS is worth the money or hassle. Once the 700GB+ ones go down to an acceptable price I will jump on this bandwagon, until then I am not buying the hype.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127516 Posts

@vfibsux said:

I personally don't think an SSD just for your OS is worth the money or hassle. Once the 700GB+ ones go down to an acceptable price I will jump on this bandwagon, until then I am not buying the hype.

Got one 120GB one for OS and everything that starts when I boot up. I don't regret getting one.

Avatar image for deactivated-579f651eab962
deactivated-579f651eab962

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By deactivated-579f651eab962
Member since 2003 • 5404 Posts

@PredatorRules said:

I'm thinking on getting 840 EVO 120Gb SSD, problem it's really expensive (well 120$ where I live at least)

Also unsure if to use it for installed games or OS included? boot time doesn't bother me and I don't use heavy softwares

Just bought that exact one for my little brother. Only £64, it's a bargain. The SSD prices are quite good now and getting better all the time.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@vfibsux said:

What hype?

SSDs are much faster than a normal HDD, that's a fact, not hype lol.

I agree the bigger sizes are just too expensive right now, but a 256GB is fine to buy and will let you install the OS and a few game on there.

I have a SanDisk 256GB and a 1TB HDD. I install "heavy" games on the SSD for full performance, and lighter games and data on the HDD.

I'll tell you one thing. Once you experience the speed of an SSD, you wonder how you ever waited for a HDD to catch up...

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

I love my 120GB 840 EVO, I'm planning on buying one for my laptop soon to replace the DVD drive and run dual disks.

cyloninside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By cyloninside
Member since 2014 • 815 Posts

@vfibsux said:

yeah... cause 5 second boot times are totally not worth having at all. i mean... who the **** wants to be into their computer that fast anyhow? especially not for 70 dollars or less..... call me when they are 5 dollars amiright? its alllllll hype.....

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

They already have, the Cruxial mx100 is less than 50 cents per gigabyte.

cyloninside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 cyloninside

on a more serious note... i wouldnt get anything less than a 256gb SSD.... believe it or not, that 256gigs fills up REALLY fast. i cant imagine what trying to operate with a 120gb would be like.

any game that i play more than once a week gets put on my SSD... the rest go on my 3tb HDD. it works pretty well, and honestly... who can complain about fully booting in to windows 8.1 in about 5-8 seconds?

naz99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By naz99
Member since 2002 • 2941 Posts

The prices have been dropping for years without stopping a few years ago a 60gb SSD would have cost you a few hundred dollars

And Hype? Lol no

why not try using one before you start telling us that are using an SSD whether it is worth it or not

My boot times used to be about 5 mins with all the stuff I had to load in on startup.it is now less than 30 seconds,I also could not get into a game of Battlefield 4 before all the points had been captured now I'm one of the first ones in the game.

Oh and Watchdogs thanks to the SSD I can now drive over 20 mph without it turning into a stutter fest as the old hard drive failed to load everything in quick enough.

Worth every penny.

TDuiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 TDuiker
Member since 2004 • 11689 Posts

I will be getting a 500GB evo at least, in the near future. i have to take care of some more important things first.

The evo ssd's are the first that i find agreeable in price/performance.

Avatar image for PfizersaurusRex
PfizersaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By PfizersaurusRex
Member since 2012 • 1503 Posts

I'm eyeing the 250GB Evo, they say it's a good buy ATM, faster than 120GB, and because it has TLC, and not MLC memory like the Pro series, it's still relatively cheap. I can get it for €140/$190. With games already reaching 50GB in size I think it's worth it.

bluesunmerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By bluesunmerc
Member since 2014 • 281 Posts

Are long load times associated with hard for the most part?

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12809 Posts

@PfizersaurusRex said:

I'm eyeing the 250GB Evo, they say it's a good buy ATM, faster than 120GB, and because it has TLC, and not MLC memory like the Pro series, it's still relatively cheap. I can get it for €140/$190. With games already reaching 50GB in size I think it's worth it.

It is faster than the 120Gb, also 1Tb is the fastest one.

@bluesunmerc yes, because lower read times blocks or should I already bottleneck the loading times.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 vfibsux

@cyloninside said:

@vfibsux said:

yeah... cause 5 second boot times are totally not worth having at all. i mean... who the **** wants to be into their computer that fast anyhow? especially not for 70 dollars or less..... call me when they are 5 dollars amiright? its alllllll hype.....

Hey troll, no one cares.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 vfibsux

@FelipeInside said:

@vfibsux said:

What hype?

I agree the bigger sizes are just too expensive right now, but a 256GB is fine to buy and will let you install the OS and a few game on there.

I have a SanDisk 256GB and a 1TB HDD. I install "heavy" games on the SSD for full performance, and lighter games and data on the HDD.

I'll tell you one thing. Once you experience the speed of an SSD, you wonder how you ever waited for a HDD to catch up...

I see it as hype, my opinion Felipe and you are just going to have to get over that. I installed one in my wife's pc when I upgraded it....not impressed. So what it boots up quick, I really don't care. I push my power button in the morning and go get coffee, by the time I come back it is fully up and operational.....please tell me why I care that yours started faster than mine?

256GB is a bullshit hard drive, I'm not buying it dude. The only way I would buy that shit is if it were so cheap it made sense to buy two or three....I am not running a pc with a 256GB SSD so I cannot even enjoy the fast loading times with all my stuff because I still need a HDD, not happening. I can afford to buy a freaking TB SSD today if I wanted one, I just don't see the value. I am not saying it is not a great piece of hardware, just saying for me the bang for the buck is not worth it, period. Why people think this is some crazy logic is baffling to me. There are some bad ass $1000 video cards out there too, why aren't you buying them? They work great right? Are they not worth it to you?

bluesunmerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 bluesunmerc

@PredatorRules: Well since I recently got a better paying job will probably look into to buying a new hard drive or ssd after my other upgrades are done.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 FelipeInside

@vfibsux said:

@FelipeInside said:

@vfibsux said:

What hype?

I see it as hype, my opinion Felipe and you are just going to have to get over that. I installed one in my wife's pc when I upgraded it....not impressed. So what it boots up quick, I really don't care. I push my power button in the morning and go get coffee, by the time I come back it is fully up and operational.....please tell me why I care that yours started faster than mine?

256GB is a bullshit hard drive, I'm not buying it dude. The only way I would buy that shit is if it were so cheap it made sense to buy two or three....I am not running a pc with a 256GB SSD so I cannot even enjoy the fast loading times with all my stuff because I still need a HDD, not happening. I can afford to buy a freaking TB SSD today if I wanted one, I just don't see the value. I am not saying it is not a great piece of hardware, just saying for me the bang for the buck is not worth it, period. Why people think this is some crazy logic is baffling to me. There are some bad ass $1000 video cards out there too, why aren't you buying them? They work great right? Are they not worth it to you?

That's fair enough. I personally don't see the SSD as fast boot time. I too used to turn on my PC and then went to make a coffee so it would be ready when I got back. The speed improvement for me comes when I load things like Photoshop and also heavy games (like MMOs), both load in seconds against what used to be minutes.

As for the video card analogy, like I said, it depends on price and needs. I buy what I need for my needs. I would never buy a $1000 video card if a $500 one does what I want.... like I would never buy (today) a 1TB SSD when a 256GB SSD does what I want.

Avatar image for gogoplexiorayo2
Gogoplexiorayo2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#23 Gogoplexiorayo2
Member since 2013 • 189 Posts

i own the 1 tb ssd evo. I dont have a harddrive. I remember loading a F.E.A.R level in 1 second! i love my ssd!

bluesunmerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 bluesunmerc

Oh since we are on the subject of ssds. I remember reading somewhere that ssds were not good if you were adding and deleting data. Best example if you were modding skyrim adding a deleting mods. I heard that the memory chips(or what ever they are called) will go bad when doing this. I heard if your going to be doing this its best to have a hdd.

cyloninside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By cyloninside

@Chatch09 said:

@cyloninside: @vfibsux:

Whats up with all the hate? You have 100% control over what YOU purchase. TC simply asked if the prices were dropping soon, which they are. I'm going with SSDs because I do want a really speedy system, thats just me. There is no "hype." These do work as advertised. Its also for more than just OS boot times. If you've ever used advanced (3D) CAD programs like Autodesk Inventor or SolidWorks then you know how annoyingly long it takes for those programs to boot up and to load large files. For gaming, I really like the fact that I will be able to go from my PC being off to shooting at people in BF4 in a just under 2 minutes: source

Your claims of "hype" is just you trolling. Period.

you clearly didnt get the sarcasm in my post.... and it was directed at vfib... not the TC

cyloninside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 cyloninside

@vfibsux said:

@cyloninside said:

@vfibsux said:

Hey troll, no one cares.

hey negative one.... be less negative about everything.

Blutfahne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Blutfahne
Member since 2014 • 276 Posts

Welcome to the fractional reserve banking system where inflation never allows for price drops.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

My PC takes about 1 minute to boot up to windows start with everything loaded, how much of an improvement should I expect from an SSD.

I'm still unsure about getting one, first of all because I'd have to re install windows, and wipe my current hard drive so its not my primary hard drive.

Also the smaller sizes, in normal SATA you can get a couple TB cheapish, so is it worth getting on for my operating system alone?

MK-Professor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By MK-Professor
Member since 2009 • 4214 Posts

There is always the option to go SRT. This will cach you regular used data from your HDD to a small SSD 32GB (or biger if you want), so your HDD will perform very close to SSD speed in the most used applications/data. (Also you donot need to reinstall Windows or anything).

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2593&page=5

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 thehig1

@Chatch09: my other hard drive would still have windows on though I wouldn't want that.

So I'd still re format it.

Also wow would it really half my load time, I'm more tempted now.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 thehig1

@Chatch09: holy cow .

I'm torn between holding off getting an r9 to get an ssd now

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#35 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11785 Posts

@FelipeInside said:

like I would never buy (today) a 1TB SSD when a 256GB SSD does what I want.

Hey there Felipe!

Been a while, figured I would say hi.

I actually will be getting a 1TB SSD for my next build, looking at a Corsair 1TB 550m SSD for the current price of $499. But I plan on getting it on sale during Black Friday.

The rig will be about 40/60 for use between serious games, and serious music production. If it was just for games, I wouldn't worry with the 1TB SSD, however for music that is a different ball game. I can already see the performance limitations of my HDD for that. Once I get a lot of wav files in a project (song) the HDD has to read all of them simultaneously, and the more that I have in a song the more strain the HDD gets. Not to mention that at the same time I will be recording and writing to the HDD which further puts more strain, and leaves more room for errors.

I also need the rig to be extremely quiet. Which throwing in a HDD would kind of negate that a bit. Also 8 gigs of RAM would be plenty for gaming, but I will be going with atleast 12 - 16 for the music. (samplers/romplers can start to really eat into RAM)

I will have at least 1 1TB external HDD for backups of my music projects. Which I already have a 1TB Transcend HDD for that.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 FelipeInside

@Lach0121 said:

@FelipeInside said:

like I would never buy (today) a 1TB SSD when a 256GB SSD does what I want.

Hey there Felipe!

Been a while, figured I would say hi.

I actually will be getting a 1TB SSD for my next build, looking at a Corsair 1TB 550m SSD for the current price of $499. But I plan on getting it on sale during Black Friday.

The rig will be about 40/60 for use between serious games, and serious music production. If it was just for games, I wouldn't worry with the 1TB SSD, however for music that is a different ball game. I can already see the performance limitations of my HDD for that. Once I get a lot of wav files in a project (song) the HDD has to read all of them simultaneously, and the more that I have in a song the more strain the HDD gets. Not to mention that at the same time I will be recording and writing to the HDD which further puts more strain, and leaves more room for errors.

I also need the rig to be extremely quiet. Which throwing in a HDD would kind of negate that a bit. Also 8 gigs of RAM would be plenty for gaming, but I will be going with atleast 12 - 16 for the music. (samplers/romplers can start to really eat into RAM)

I will have at least 1 1TB external HDD for backups of my music projects. Which I already have a 1TB Transcend HDD for that.

Hey matey, where have you been?

Yeah, for high end sound editing SSDs are obviously faster, but remember that you will be constantly writing to it so it will probably not last as long as a normal HDD. Wouldn't you be better going for a Western Digital Velociraptor in your case?

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#37  Edited By Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11785 Posts

Just been busy working on my stuff.

I don't leave my computer on much If I am not using it, nor do I watch stream many things on it. Just gaming, and music to minimize the SSD usage.

But most of those 10,000RPM drives are noisy, which would be an issue. I don't expect the SSD to last me forever, I expect to get about 2-4 years out of it, and that is why I will have at least one HDD (external) of all my major files. (which is also why I intend to catch it on a nice sale)

Qixote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#38  Edited By Qixote
Member since 2002 • 10843 Posts

SSDs are always going down in price. And while there is no guarantee a SSD will last forever (seriously, who expects that?), they certainly will last longer than an HDD. It won't be long now were it is most common for new builds to not have any internal HDD.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16563 Posts

umm SSDs are pretty cheap now compared to 2 years back. Now you can find decent SSDs at prices under $0.50/gb. A 256gb SSD is more than you'll ever need for windows and your productivity software. Everything else can be stored on the regular HDDs :D