AoC: The ultimate PvP mmorpg

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-591d19704318a
deactivated-591d19704318a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-591d19704318a
Member since 2003 • 123 Posts

I'm a bit more than excited about the future release Age of Conan: Hyborian adventures

But for those who experienced games like WoW, Vanguard, EQ and others...  you may not want to cancel our accounts just yet!  AoC is proving to be quite different from your typical MMORPG.  While the game still has features customary to many mmo's (Auction houses, Trades/Crafting, PvP, Mail systems, etc), it will also feature entirely new concepts such as "RealCombat", additionally it also is one of the first games to seperate PvE grind experience from PvP combat experience.

Feel free to discuss any of the various aspects of the game here

Here's a link to an archive of AoC videos-  **highly recommended**

http://forums.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?t=15749

Here's a link to a FAQ archive that can answer most questions regarding "Real combat" and various other subjects

http://community.ageofconan.com/wsp/conan/frontend.cgi?session=qvzkwof3sy7iiy3kjk0sszzxz4o46b&func=publish.show&template=content&func_id=1330&sort=PRIORITY&table=CONTENT

Nepherate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Nepherate
Member since 2003 • 881 Posts
WAR is the ultimate PvP mmorpg.
LiLsLashy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 LiLsLashy
Member since 2006 • 1082 Posts

WAR is the ultimate PvP mmorpg.Nepherate

Yes, but the concept of Warhammer Online isn't very original. AOC is the most unique MMO on the horizon. along with Darkfall. 

niko44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 niko44
Member since 2004 • 2281 Posts
funcom sucks so this game is going to suck.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-591d19704318a

WAR is the ultimate PvP mmorpg.Nepherate

You mean Warhammer: Online?

If so I've got to just disagree.  I was initially excited about that game, and as a former Warhammer player trust me it appealed to me, but after watching the game played nearly everything about it is regurgitated idea's from other mmo's i've played and to be quite honest im just sick of those idea's.  The idea of a skill based combat system is super appealing to me and its gonna seperate the men from the boys...  literally...   its got a mature rating, kek

The_One_White

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 The_One_White
Member since 2006 • 1417 Posts
yup this and WAR both look amazing :)
Nepherate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Nepherate

In fact, Warhammer Online has the original concept. Fantasy dark humor. The fact that it isn't "more original" is because World of Warcraft and the like have already gotten people to think Orcs and Elves as "boring". Well the Orcs and Elves in WAR are quite different from any other fantasy universe.

Seeing as only Alpha gameplay has been released or played, I don't see how anyone could make judgement on it. Skill will be a large part of the game, made by the creators of DAOC, player skill is emphasized over gear.

To me...AoC looks a bit bland. While it does have its interesting features, the gameplay videos haven't really looked too interesting. They remind me of the old "hack and slash" style gameplay found in many dungeon crawlers. The art style doesn't appeal to me very much, and I simply don't find any other points of interest in the game. And the Mature rating will most certainly not stop younglings from buying the game...

While WAR will be rated "T". As Paul Barnett so eloquently noted, T is for Tough. 

LiLsLashy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 LiLsLashy
Member since 2006 • 1082 Posts

In fact, Warhammer Online has the original concept. Fantasy dark humor. The fact that it isn't "more original" is because World of Warcraft and the like have already gotten people to think Orcs and Elves as "boring". Well the Orcs and Elves in WAR are quite different from any other fantasy universe.

Seeing as only Alpha gameplay has been released or played, I don't see how anyone could make judgement on it. Skill will be a large part of the game, made by the creators of DAOC, player skill is emphasized over gear.

To me...AoC looks a bit bland. While it does have its interesting features, the gameplay videos haven't really looked too interesting. They remind me of the old "hack and slash" style gameplay found in many dungeon crawlers. The art style doesn't appeal to me very much, and I simply don't find any other points of interest in the game. And the Mature rating will most certainly not stop younglings from buying the game...

While WAR will be rated "T". As Paul Barnett so eloquently noted, T is for Tough.

Nepherate

Orcs and elves are boring, and this is coming from a hardcore Tolkien fan. This crap has been regurgitated the exact same way for the past thirty years, ever since DnD. WoW beat WAR to the MMO platform, and its a shame that WAR comes off as a copy of WoW when it's really the opposite. Nevetheless, what distinguishes AOC from WAR and all other fantasy MMO's is that it's part of the Sword & Sorcery subgenre as opposed to the Tolkien-esque High Fantasy.

Nepherate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Nepherate

Well like I said, Warhammer races distinguish themselves from other fantasy cliche's by having character.

It is a shame that most people (not anyone here specifically) look at WAR screenshots and immediately call it a WoW knock-off; and, as a WoW knock-off, will be the exact same game. The greater features of the game come from its inner design.

Some people are still fans of Orcs, Elves, and Vampires..including me. I see the Warhammer universe as a mixture of High-Fantasy and Sword-Sorcery.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-591d19704318a

Im not going to go so far as to say "orcs and elves are boring"

Statements like that really depend on the matter of gameplay.  Personally, from a pvp enthusiast standpoint; Warhammer online is gonna blow the doors off of World of Warcraft.  The questing content looks richer, seems to keep players more involved but its impossible to deny the actual combat offers nothing more than that of warcraft.  Its a simple matter of point, click, cast.  The player input/control is no different from the standard mmo, and granted its a tested and approved formula...  as an old skool player, lets just say im a bit burned out

What AoC offers is entirely different...  and while its difficult to argue the "hack-and-slash" comments some people make, players will find the "real combat" system offers them more possibilities for control, affecting the outcome of any given battle.  Im sure they're both gonn be epic games, and I won't argue that one is goin to be "better" than the other.  AoC does however offer me something outside the norm, and that piques my interest

Nepherate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Nepherate
Hopefully they'll both do well so no one is disappointed.
Avatar image for smokeydabear076
smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 smokeydabear076
Member since 2004 • 22109 Posts
This game looks amazing.
MTBare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 MTBare
Member since 2006 • 5176 Posts
I was originally excited for Warhammer as it's being made by DAOC makers and DAOC had great pvp and wasn't lame style like WoW. Then I found out Warhammer was going for that same style, and I become completely uninterested. AoC looks pretty cool though.