Anyone want the return of good, deep, and enthralling Adventure Games

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nerd_rock_riot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 nerd_rock_riot
Member since 2005 • 191 Posts
I grew up on Sierra and Lucas Arts adventure games.... I played Kings Quest, Heroes Quest, Indianna Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Prince of Persia, Daggar of Ammon Ra, Sam and Max Hit the Road, Monkey Island, Myst, and countless other classic games in the industry.... what happened to the quality of production, story, depth, and difficulty that these games pioneered... now most adventure games are doomed to failure...
Captain-Seal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Captain-Seal
Member since 2004 • 505 Posts

These games aren't recent but have you played Kotor 1 and 2?

mismajor99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 mismajor99
Member since 2003 • 5671 Posts
I did too. I love adventure games still to this day. I think nostalgia has a lot to do with it, at least for me. If you haven't checked out "The Longest Journey", I would highly recommend it, and it's sequal "Dreamfall". Also, Syberia 1 and 2 are also very good adventure games. I would also contend that the new Sam & Max series is pretty darn good and they've done a fantastic job reliving those memories. For better coverage of the Adventure Gaming scene, check out : http://www.adventuregamers.com/

They have a great community, and they take the Adventure Genre a lot more serious than other gaming sites we know....cough...cough.
Teuvan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 Teuvan
Member since 2003 • 10151 Posts
Indigo Prophecy was pretty good. I've been getting into Japanese adventure games a lot recently myself. They're a much different style from the oldskool point & click PC adventure games, but they can still fill the void. There are several that have been officially translated, such as Hourglass of Summer and Phantom of Inferno, and some fan-translated games like Tsukihime and Higurashi no Naku Koro ni. Of course, chances are, there are a lot of older obscure adventure games that you haven't played as well. A lot of people seem to overlook The Legend of Kyrandia and the non-text Zork series, both of which are amazing.
BloodMist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 BloodMist
Member since 2002 • 32922 Posts
Oh hell yeah, i was, and still am, a huge fan of adventure games, they along with seminals Wing Commander 3, and Doom, are what got me into PC gaming.There have been a few recently released, like the superb TLJ and Syberia, and the Sam and Max adventures are rather simple but wholly entertaining, so at least thats something.I recently got Zork Grand Inquisitor off of Ebay and enjoyed it's quirky sense of humor and excellent acting.I wish the adventure genre was at it's peak still, but i guess that'll never happen.
Swiftstrike5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#6 Swiftstrike5
Member since 2005 • 6950 Posts
I WANT GAMES WITH CUTSCENES GODDAMMIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mismajor99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mismajor99
I WANT GAMES WITH CUTSCENES GODDAMMIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Swiftstrike5
Dreamfall is your best friend than....
mismajor99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mismajor99
Oh hell yeah, i was, and still am, a huge fan of adventure games, they along with seminals Wing Commander 3, and Doom, are what got me into PC gaming.There have been a few recently released, like the superb TLJ and Syberia, and the Sam and Max adventures are rather simple but wholly entertaining, so at least thats something.I recently got Zork Grand Inquisitor off of Ebay and enjoyed it's quirky sense of humor and excellent acting.I wish the adventure genre was at it's peak still, but i guess that'll never happen.BloodMist
Hell yeah too, Me and my buds would stay up all night and play Doom and Wolfenstein back in the day, there just wasn't anything else like it. They recently repackaged the old sierra classics but didn't include many of them and apparently didn't do it any justice(According to GFW). Also, Wing Commander sealed the deal for me. I actually still play it in dox box on my laptop :) Man, it's still fun to play after all these years. I remember the old Zork Zero days of text adventures, those were the days......I'll did think you could still find Zork GI anywhere, very cool.
tomjacobs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 tomjacobs
Member since 2003 • 462 Posts

Yeah, I know what you mean. If you're looking for a nice, old school adventure game, check out this one : OUT OF ORDER    http://www.the-underdogs.info/game.php?id=4179

It's freeware and only 8 Mb download, but it's not an easy or short game.

Tell me if you liked it.

Cheers,

T. 

geitenvla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#10 geitenvla
Member since 2006 • 960 Posts
I grew up on Sierra and Lucas Arts adventure games.... I played Kings Quest, Heroes Quest, Indianna Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Prince of Persia, Daggar of Ammon Ra, Sam and Max Hit the Road, Monkey Island, Myst, and countless other classic games in the industry.... what happened to the quality of production, story, depth, and difficulty that these games pioneered... now most adventure games are doomed to failure...nerd_rock_riot

Lucasarts old-school adventures rock - enough said.
nerd_rock_riot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11 nerd_rock_riot
Member since 2005 • 191 Posts
Did anyone play Kings Quest or Heroes Quest, cause those games were outrageously hard/fun/beautiful
thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts
The Longest Journey series.
DuaneDog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 DuaneDog
Member since 2006 • 999 Posts

Add to that list The Beast Within and Pandora's Directive.  The Last Express was also not a bad diddy although not quite in the same league.

I agree 100%. It's too bad that the genre struggles a bit. I look back on these games and just can't think of anything that competes. Sure Longest Journey was cool and so was syberia but I miss having some real actors as well. Not that I want EVERY game to be like that but it would be nice if there were adventure games of that quality coming out regularly.

Arch-Villain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Arch-Villain
Member since 2007 • 138 Posts
I grew up on Sierra and Lucas Arts adventure games.... I played Kings Quest, Heroes Quest, Indianna Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Prince of Persia, Daggar of Ammon Ra, Sam and Max Hit the Road, Monkey Island, Myst, and countless other classic games in the industry.... what happened to the quality of production, story, depth, and difficulty that these games pioneered... now most adventure games are doomed to failure...nerd_rock_riot

You know... there are actually some great remakes of the earlier KQ games that are freeware from other fans. Some of them are very impressive, and even have the original voice over actor for King Graham in them. I do miss all of these games, especially the King's Quest series, which I feel reached its high at KQ6, arguably the best PC game ever made.

I feel that the problem here is that most modern adventure games are too concerned with flashy graphics than an engrossing story. It's been years since I got that feeling of true delight and adventure from a game like I did when playing King's Quest VI. Gone are the days of drawing maps and using your wits instead of your reflexes to save you form danger.

Arch-Villain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Arch-Villain
Member since 2007 • 138 Posts

I grew up on Sierra and Lucas Arts adventure games.... nerd_rock_riot

Day of the Tentacle!  That was one crazy, messed up game.  But it sure was fun!
tomjacobs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 tomjacobs

[QUOTE="nerd_rock_riot"]I grew up on Sierra and Lucas Arts adventure games.... Arch-Villain

Day of the Tentacle!  That was one crazy, messed up game.  But it sure was fun!

If you'd like to discover the roots of the tentacle characters, try out Maniac Mansion and Zack Mc Kracken and the Alien Mindbenders. These were originally Commodore 64 adventure games. I think a PC remake exists for Maniac Mansion, for Zack I'm not sure, but you can run it on a C64 emulator no problem (I did it a couple years ago).

It's pure low color, low res adventure awesomeness. :D

Cheers,

T.

gohantech00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 gohantech00
Member since 2005 • 9216 Posts
Yeah, Curse of Monkey Island is one of my favorite games of all time. In fact, the adventure genre has always been my favorite genre of all time. There's this one website, though, which has a lot of great freeware adventure games. It's www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk. Go there if you want to play some good, old fashioned point and click adventure games. I download from there all the time. I'd personally recommend a game called Pleurghburg: Dark Ages, which is my favorite game off of the site.
chocoTHRAX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 chocoTHRAX
Member since 2003 • 36 Posts
I was going to get Dreamfall until I found out it has Starforce on it. :(
mismajor99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mismajor99
I was going to get Dreamfall until I found out it has Starforce on it. :(chocoTHRAX
Download it through Steam and you won't have to worry about it :)
PikaPichu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 PikaPichu
Member since 2003 • 17813 Posts
Someone should bring back Oregon Trail and remake it for today's gaming PCs. That game was the @#$%! back in the elementary school!
tomjacobs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 tomjacobs

[QUOTE="chocoTHRAX"]I was going to get Dreamfall until I found out it has Starforce on it. :(mismajor99

However, if you're actually looking for puzzles in your adventure game, skip Dreamfall as it's merely an interactive story.

Smithgdwg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Smithgdwg
Member since 2003 • 1886 Posts

[QUOTE="mismajor99"][QUOTE="chocoTHRAX"]I was going to get Dreamfall until I found out it has Starforce on it. :(tomjacobs

However, if you're actually looking for puzzles in your adventure game, skip Dreamfall as it's merely an interactive story.

Its a great interactive story, but ya, the puzzles are pretty lite. Except for one, I hate thinking about it. (Those damn music puzzles...)