Anyone think Call of Duty doesn't get the reconginition it deserves?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for ThePostalWorker
ThePostalWorker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ThePostalWorker
Member since 2006 • 839 Posts
Seriously, the orginal Call of Duty, which was easily the best in both single and multiplayer modes, is so often overshawed by 2, 3 , and 4, espicially by non pc gamers. I talk to alot of 360 gamers in my school, and so many of them say "Oh yea cod4 is great" and i respond "Yes, but i still think the first game was the best." Then, nearly all of them say, "you mean the one for xbox, that one sucked." So many of them credit Finest Hour with being the first CoD, and don't even know that CoD started out as a PC francise. Anyone else think that the orginal is too often forgotton?
mfsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 mfsa
Member since 2007 • 3328 Posts

I think that's probably an issue restricted solely to console gamers, and the unfortunate people who share their company.

I doubt you'll find too many people amongst the PC gaming community who won't recognise Call of Duty for what it is.

Makaveli527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Makaveli527
Member since 2007 • 210 Posts
Call of Duty 1 was my first shooter, most people seem to love the first shooter they ever play. I know I do.
TA127

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 TA127
Member since 2007 • 774 Posts
ahh...let me think...nope
naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 naval
Member since 2003 • 11108 Posts

its funny how many people don't know how great cod 1 sp was. none the other cod's have matched in sp aspect imo.

even more funny is how many people (mostly console gamers) think cod 1 is mostly a mp only game

Avatar image for deactivated-5920bf77daa85
deactivated-5920bf77daa85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

#6 deactivated-5920bf77daa85
Member since 2004 • 3270 Posts

Seriously, the orginal Call of Duty, which was easily the best in both single and multiplayer modes, is so often overshawed by 2, 3 , and 4, espicially by non pc gamers. I talk to alot of 360 gamers in my school, and so many of them say "Oh yea cod4 is great" and i respond "Yes, but i still think the first game was the best." Then, nearly all of them say, "you mean the one for xbox, that one sucked." So many of them credit Finest Hour with being the first CoD, and don't even know that CoD started out as a PC francise. Anyone else think that the orginal is too often forgotton?ThePostalWorker

Well since gaming is growing in popularity, there will always be people who forget the "originals".

Obviously though, console gamers are more likely to "forget" a PC game since they don't play them.

EndersAres

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 EndersAres
Member since 2005 • 5711 Posts
It gets enough. It was my first and last CoD game. I don't really care for the series now. It's just another yearly cash in on something that was originally great but now is going to be long winded series like MoH.
WARxSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 WARxSnake
Member since 2006 • 2154 Posts

I think that's probably an issue restricted solely to console gamers, and the unfortunate people who share their company.

I doubt you'll find too many people amongst the PC gaming community who won't recognise Call of Duty for what it is.

mfsa

amen

FunkWeasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#9 FunkWeasel
Member since 2006 • 2508 Posts
It also annoys me how 360 owners don't know that Half Life 2 is a PC game. Same thing with FEAR. It's so annoying how they think Xbox is the only platform.
TheMotherBrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 TheMotherBrain
Member since 2007 • 284 Posts

It also annoys me how 360 owners don't know that Half Life 2 is a PC game. Same thing with FEAR. It's so annoying how they think Xbox is the only platform.FunkWeasel

I know what you mean.

"Far Cry? On PC? No way man!'

or "Dude, I was playing this sweet game called Morrowind.Too bad you don't have an Xbox."

(on a different topic) "Half-Life 2 totally copied the flood from Halo." uhhh..wtf?

Rotinaj32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Rotinaj32
Member since 2007 • 331 Posts
Actually I only own CoD1 and none of the others. I really enjoyed the SP and MP both, but I never felt compelled to buy CoD2 just because I'm not a huge of WW2. I'll probably pick up CoD4, but not before Witcher, Crysis and UT3.
Ps2stony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#12 Ps2stony
Member since 2006 • 1888 Posts

CoD4 TEH OWNAAAGE.

Hehe, but seriously, I'll enjoy CoD if I enjoyed CoD4 and Medal of Honor Airborne, right??

aznpr1d34eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 aznpr1d34eva
Member since 2006 • 132 Posts
well unlike the MoH series CoD has actually made changes to the game...
Ps2stony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Ps2stony
Member since 2006 • 1888 Posts
well unlike the MoH series CoD has actually made changes to the game...aznpr1d34eva
Thanks, lotsa help telling me what I don't care about.
WARxSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 WARxSnake
Member since 2006 • 2154 Posts

[QUOTE="FunkWeasel"]It also annoys me how 360 owners don't know that Half Life 2 is a PC game. Same thing with FEAR. It's so annoying how they think Xbox is the only platform.TheMotherBrain

I know what you mean.

"Far Cry? On PC? No way man!'

or "Dude, I was playing this sweet game called Morrowind.Too bad you don't have an Xbox."

(on a different topic) "Half-Life 2 totally copied the flood from Halo." uhhh..wtf?

LOL

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 JP_Russell
Member since 2005 • 12893 Posts

Well, of course the console 'tards (as Yahtzee calls them) wouldn't give Call of Duty 1 any recognition, it's as has been explained, they're in their own little world where the only games' existences they know of or care about are those on the consoles.

P.S. - "Console 'tards" doesn't refer to everyone who plays consoles, it refers to a plurality of console players who are more simple-minded and shallow individuals, to be very generous. Similarly, some games on the PC have a plurality of their fans being imbeciles of a related breed, like WoW (again, that's not all players, just a sizeable bunch).

pink_floyd123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18 pink_floyd123
Member since 2006 • 1334 Posts
I'm happy with where it is, it's popular with critics and the dedicated game community. If it was marketed to death like Halo then yeah it would be more popular but I'd rather it stay within it's tight-knit fan base then leak into the (*shiver*) mainstream game community.
alexmatusiak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 alexmatusiak
Member since 2006 • 61 Posts

Didn't COD4 just win Best Shooter and Best Military game at the Spike VGAs? That would be recognition I guess ... and I'm sure it'll win its fair share of awards on Gamespot and IGN soon.

Personally I dislike its multiplayer but it was one of the better FPS SP experiences I've had in a while (although I think I'm one of the few who prefer WW2 and sort of sad when it was announced they were moving away from it).

pcmembers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 pcmembers
Member since 2005 • 23 Posts
I really can't see what's wrong with COD4. It's just perfect.I play variety of games from turn based and RTS to simulations and even arcades. but among all these games I have ever played COD4 is awesome ! at least I can say it as PC gamer!
mac631

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#21 mac631
Member since 2006 • 168 Posts

i planning to get a CoD game, between 1 or 2 (my com old, can't take 4).

mostly i playing it sp, which is better?

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#22 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Anyone who has played the first one understands it is the best. Just ignore the mainstreamers and be happy you experienced one of the finer points in FPS MP history.
A1B2C3CAL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#23 A1B2C3CAL
Member since 2007 • 2332 Posts
Ive been playing CoD Series since the start. I think they get all the recognition they need from sales...just take a look at the server browsers for these games, so many people playing and so many servers running even on the older ones still.
aliblabla2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24 aliblabla2007
Member since 2007 • 16756 Posts

mac631

IDK.... CoD1 is much shorter than CoD2 and has a smaller arsenal. But CoD2 is more repetitive, and it's obviously superior graphics won't count if your PC can't handle CoD4 (Any PC that can play CoD2 on Dx9 smoothly can play CoD4). CoD2 missions tend to have about 2 - 3 paths to accomplish the objective in them, but CoD1 allows you to switch the firing modes on your weapon. I guess it's only a matter of preference though: do you prefer health regen (CoD2) or health packs (CoD1), grenade indicators (CoD2) or none (CoD1). I personally would go for CoD1 for great short SP and CoD2 for good medium length SP, though I personally hope IW will combine the two to make one really good SP game.

mac631

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#25 mac631
Member since 2006 • 168 Posts
[QUOTE="mac631"]

aliblabla2007

IDK.... CoD1 is much shorter than CoD2 and has a smaller arsenal. But CoD2 is more repetitive, and it's obviously superior graphics won't count if your PC can't handle CoD4 (Any PC that can play CoD2 on Dx9 smoothly can play CoD4). CoD2 missions tend to have about 2 - 3 paths to accomplish the objective in them, but CoD1 allows you to switch the firing modes on your weapon. I guess it's only a matter of preference though: do you prefer health regen (CoD2) or health packs (CoD1), grenade indicators (CoD2) or none (CoD1). I personally would go for CoD1 for great short SP and CoD2 for good medium length SP, though I personally hope IW will combine the two to make one really good SP game.

dont think so, i played the cod2 demo smoothly. (with default setting) so it mean my com can play cod4?

well, i think i will go for cod2 cause i really like gerenade.

aliblabla2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26 aliblabla2007
Member since 2007 • 16756 Posts
[QUOTE="aliblabla2007"][QUOTE="mac631"]

mac631

dont think so, i played the cod2 demo smoothly. (with default setting) so it mean my com can play cod4?

well, i think i will go for cod2 cause i really like gerenade.

Were you running the CoD2 demo in Dx9 or Dx7? Oh yeah, I forgot to say CoD2 uses a hotkey that allows you to simply throw grenades without even needing to select, in CoD1 you have to select your grenade and throw it. I still enjoyed CoD1 more though.
SonKev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 SonKev
Member since 2007 • 552 Posts

Well lets see, the last 3 have been ruined, and dont deserver the series name...

COD4 is a noob fest, and requires no skill... just a clicking finger...

No.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26648 Posts

Didn't COD4 just win Best Shooter and Best Military game at the Spike VGAs? That would be recognition I guess ... and I'm sure it'll win its fair share of awards on Gamespot and IGN soon.

Personally I dislike its multiplayer but it was one of the better FPS SP experiences I've had in a while (although I think I'm one of the few who prefer WW2 and sort of sad when it was announced they were moving away from it).

alexmatusiak

Those awards suck.

-FAmas-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#29 -FAmas-
Member since 2003 • 13159 Posts
yeah call of duty 1 and United Offensive were so much fun. Its been nothing but downhill since. I was disappointed in 4, and 2 was fun with its graphics but just didnt live up to the original.
ShotGunBunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ShotGunBunny
Member since 2004 • 2184 Posts
I honestly think the second is still the best.
COD1 and MOH were pretty similair at the time, but 2 managed to break away from the MOH gameplay by making the action a lot more intense, IMO.

I recall having great fun with, in order, MOHAA, COD and then COD2. But when I tried COD1 again, it just bored the life out of me, it was just so slow paced and static.
However, with COD4, I think they've overdone it, I mean, you can never clear out an area, enemies keep spawning, the only thing you can do is advance. But tell me this: Who in their right mind is going to storm into building while it obviously is still riddled with enemies?

I honestly can't recall of COD2 has the respawning enemy thing, AFAIK it didn't. All I know for certain is that I prefer cleaning out buildings before I enter them.

And for some reason, COD2's campaign was pretty diverse and intense. However, I haven't really had a lot of "wow" moments in COD4.......I think I've been playing games for too long. :) Or maybe I should have played COD before Crysis. :P
Overal, I think COD4 is way over the top with everything, but I don't know about the MP because I don't care about it, so I'm just talking about the SP here, with all COD's that is.
KryoGenetics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 KryoGenetics
Member since 2007 • 43 Posts

Great Post!!

CoD 4 is a masterpiece in terms of story and action. The Graphics are brilliant too and not too strenous on the PC. It deseves 9+ in a rating because of the progress they have made since CoD 1.

It deserves to be where Crysis is in the ratings and if you look at the UK game charts Call of Duty 4 is higher then Crysis and deservedly.

-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#32 -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts
Call of Duty 4 has come a long way from the first game? Erm, in graphics yeah, but the gamplay is as if it's lifted straight from 1, 2 and 3. That's why I dislike the series, it gets way too much recognition. First game was a great shooter, but then they just reskinned everything. Yeah the multiplayer is good though, but the single player seems like a reskinning every time.