Any tips or suggestions to learning keyboard and mouse?(mainly keyboard)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

blackgamer1213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 blackgamer1213
Member since 2008 • 413 Posts

Also any alternatives to WASD? How long did it take you guys to get comfortable with kb/m?

magnusm1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 magnusm1
Member since 2009 • 918 Posts

Are you serious? Really?

Delro333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#3 Delro333
Member since 2007 • 594 Posts

I picked it up very quickly, I think you'll get used to it fast. I feel now like i have more control than I do with my controllers on my console games. WASD and the mouse are the best, depending on the game you can use arrow keys, but IMO stick with WASD. Goodluck

malikmmm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 malikmmm
Member since 2003 • 2235 Posts
just relax and play that's the trick.
ShimmerMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#5 ShimmerMan
Member since 2008 • 4634 Posts

I started on just keyboard. This was back in Doom 1/2 days. Then KB/Mouse.. it will take a good few months to get good at.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts

I started on just keyboard. This was back in Doom 1/2 days. Then KB/Mouse.. it will take a good few months to get good at.

ShimmerMan

mee too. it was really weird at first when FPS games started supporting mouse. and hard... but it didn't take long to get used to it.

believe me, WASD is your best friend once you get used to it. Learn with singleplayer games to avoid extreme frustration.

also try inverting your mouse Y-axis from in-game settings to see if it makes a difference to you. i have to play mouse reversed or i can't play...

pcgamer_07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 pcgamer_07
Member since 2007 • 1164 Posts

I don't know how helpful this will be but just imagine the WASD keys in the same layout as the arrow keys with the other keys in close reach of them, it shouldn't take long to get used to it just play around practice and you'll get used to it in no time.

Gamartto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Gamartto
Member since 2003 • 1987 Posts
Play portal. After that play any FPS game you like on easy and gradually increase the difficulty.
Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
Just play... As an alternative to WASD, a lot of people use ESDF but most just stick with the default wasd.
marcogamer07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#10 marcogamer07
Member since 2008 • 1615 Posts

First off, are you right-handed? Or left-handed?

I'm right handed, so I'm gonna tell you the right-handed way, if that makes any sense. lol :P

You have to get used to the WASD keys. Trust me, it makes gaming so much easier. What you wanna do is, you should have your left ring finger positioned on the A key and your index finger on the D key. You use your middle finger to alternate between the W and S keys to move forwards or backwards. You use your left pinky for the left Tab, Shift and Ctrl buttons, and your thumb for the left Alt button as well as the Space bar. Your right hand should be controlling your mouse. Make sure your mouse is not too bulky and is on a good surface to move around with.

Don't use wireless peripherals, like cordless mouses. Your batteries could run out while you're in the middle of a game. It gets quite stressful.

Make sure your mouse sensitivity is set not too low, and not too high. Make it in between. You don't want to have your mouse move so slowly it impairs your reflexes, and you don't want your mouse to slide all over the place/move too fast.

Whenever you can, use then mouse to rotate the camera in a game. Do NOT keyboard turn.

Hope that helps.

Remmib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Remmib
Member since 2010 • 2250 Posts

First off, are you right-handed? Or left-handed?

I'm right handed, so I'm gonna tell you the right-handed way, if that makes any sense. lol :P

You have to get used to the WASD keys. Trust me, it makes gaming so much easier. What you wanna do is, you should have your left ring finger positioned on the A key and your index finger on the D key. You use your middle finger to alternate between the W and S keys to move forwards or backwards. You use your left pinky for the left Tab, Shift and Ctrl buttons, and your thumb for the left Alt button as well as the Space bar. Your right hand should be controlling your mouse. Make sure your mouse is not too bulky and is on a good surface to move around with.

Don't use wireless peripherals, like cordless mouses. Your batteries could run out while you're in the middle of a game. It gets quite stressful.

Make sure your mouse sensitivity is set not too low, and not too high. Make it in between. You don't want to have your mouse move so slowly it impairs your reflexes, and you don't want your mouse to slide all over the place/move too fast.

Whenever you can, use then mouse to rotate the camera in a game. Do NOT keyboard turn.

Hope that helps.

marcogamer07

Agree with most of this, but if your wireless mouse has a battery life indicator then it's fine. Although having batteries die on me was never a big issue with my old wireless mouse as it would warn me before the batteries went completely dead.

If you want the best of the best as far as mice go, definitely pick up the Razer Mamba...keyboards are all the same more or less (just get whatever kind you prefer, for example I freaking hate slim keys, I need a normal keyboard), unless we're talking about mechanical keyboards.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts

marcogamer07

i must add that i've used my wireless KB/M for over a year now (since i bought them. package promised something like 2-3 years...) with the same batteries. wouldn't worry about that too much ;)

carlosjuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 carlosjuero
Member since 2008 • 1254 Posts
Like others have said - learn by doing :) For someone used to a controller I am guessing KB/M could take a little to master, but the fine control once mastered is worth it. I am just the opposite, I can use a KB/M intuitively but completely drop the ball when it comes to a controller - especially in FPS type games. There are alternatives to WASD, but really it is optimal to use those 4 keys as your base - they are positioned such that fingers on the home row don't have to stretch to reach them, and you can maintain good keyboard posture (important to keep your wrists healthy) without effort. Many games allow you to re-map your keys and I have known some folks that find the number pad to be much superior (I find it better for flight sim type games if I don't have a controller plugged in, but stick to WASD for FPS/MMO games). Just keep at it and you will be a "pro" before you know it :)
Threesixtyci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Threesixtyci
Member since 2006 • 4451 Posts

If you become accustom to esdf, instead of wasd, you'll have roughly 8 more keys within easy reach. Not to mention that the keys that the pinky rest on are more uniformed and has a better key pattern off-set.

A mouse with atleast 5 buttons is a must... But the more the better. (the extra mouse buttons are to be used for commands that you'll use during movement commands... things like Sprint, Duck, Prone... maybe, Leaning around corners) I found that it's best to stay away from wireless. Nothing to do with battery life, but purely with precision. Wireless has a tendency to skip around and/or get interference from other sources. But, I imagine, it depends on your location. My location is full of interference, it seems....

Whatever you do, though. Do not become accustom of using the arrow keys or the keypad.... They are just not good configurations due to the amount of surrounding keys. Plus the way the keys are positioned from one another is not good; you're hands will cramp up. Which could eventually mess up your finger joints.

Another option is to buy one of those FPS devices. Not worth the money if you ask me... but my Dad uses one, and can't play with out it, anymore. Personally, though... I don't think it has enough buttons.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#15 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Just takes a little while, sometimes longer for some people.

Just keep playing some games and youll get better.

My cousin just got hsi first computer and he was a bit lost in teh FPS department, but after a week or two he really started to get the hang of thigns and now hes constantly at the top of the score boards when we play TF2 ;)

Learnign anything new sometiems can be tough, if you are use to controllers and then you come to keybaord and mouse sometiems it can take awhile to learn it. Same thing does for the opposite way to though.

Few years without playing on a controller or K/M and then going back to the opposite one can be a little bit of a learnign curve but stick with it and you will be fine (:

The level of control with k+m is amazing once you get use to it.

But then there are a few people who just CANT use a keyboard and mouse no matter how long the try, they just hate it, but I feel like msot the tiem if people give it a fair try they will enjoy it.

Remmib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Remmib

If you become accustom to esdf, instead of wasd, you'll have roughly 8 more keys within easy reach. Not to mention that the keys that the pinky rest on are more uniformed and has a better key pattern off-set.

A mouse with atleast 5 buttons is a must... But the more the better. (the extra mouse buttons are to be used for commands that you'll use during movement commands... things like Sprint, Duck, Prone... maybe, Leaning around corners) I found that it's best to stay away from wireless. Nothing to do with battery life, but purely with precision. Wireless has a tendency to skip around and/or get interference from other sources. But, I imagine, it depends on your location. My location is full of interference, it seems....

Whatever you do, though. Do not become accustom of using the arrow keys or the keypad.... They are just not good configurations due to the amount of surrounding keys. Plus the way the keys are positioned from one another is not good; you're hands will cramp up. Which could eventually mess up your finger joints.

Another option is to buy one of those FPS devices. Not worth the money if you ask me... but my Dad uses one, and can't play with out it, anymore. Personally, though... I don't think it has enough buttons.

Threesixtyci

WASD > ESDF.

Also, putting those movement buttons on the mouse is retarded, that is why you have your pinky for shift for crouch and cntrl for sprint. I can see using prone possibly on the mouse if you have spare buttons, otherwise Q seems to work well.

Also you're talking nonsense about wireless. Unless you're using some really old tech wireless mouse then you will have no problems.

psx_warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 psx_warrior
Member since 2006 • 1757 Posts
I took to using the mouse in game right off the bat. So much easier than the right analog stick, but I still prefer the left analog stick over the wasd buttons because I feel like I can precision move in any direction I please with the left analog stick. I can use the wasd keys to get the job done, but I've thought about trying to use the number key pad to see if it's any easier. Sometimes my fingers forget where "home position" is, and I have to look down and put my fingers back on the wasd keys. Otherwise, keyboard/mouse really is superior to controller purely for the ability to more precisely aim.
Threesixtyci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Threesixtyci
Member since 2006 • 4451 Posts

[QUOTE="Threesixtyci"]

Remmib

WASD > ESDF.

Also, putting those movement buttons on the mouse is retarded, that is why you have your pinky for shift for crouch and cntrl for sprint. I can see using prone possibly on the mouse if you have spare buttons, otherwise Q seems to work well.

Also you're talking nonsense about wireless. Unless you're using some really old tech wireless mouse then you will have no problems.

I don't remember asking for opinions.....
Remmib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Remmib

I don't remember asking for opinions.....Threesixtyci

Then all is well, for I only state the facts. ;)

rolo107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 rolo107
Member since 2007 • 5469 Posts

[QUOTE="Threesixtyci"]I don't remember asking for opinions.....Remmib

Then all is well, for I only state the facts. ;)

Everything you stated was opinion.
NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#21 NeonNinja
Member since 2005 • 17318 Posts

Keyboard is easy. WASD moves you, what more could you want? Space bar is typically jump so you hit that with your thumb. R is reload, which is right above your index finger. C is crouch, right below your index finger.... Shoot, what else you need, man? (I know some games aren't and might have different keys. I don't need anyone to point that out to me.)

jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 jimmyjammer69
Member since 2008 • 12239 Posts
For your mouse hand: If you've got a lot of desk space, you could try turning down sensitivity and turning yourself 45 degrees anti-clockwise (assuming you're right-handed), with the keyboard on your lap. Playing this way frees up your shoulder and elbow, giving you the range and control to make large, fast sweeping movements with your whole arm rather than just your wrist. Turning off in-game mouse acceleration and v-sync might also help a lot.