Any good cataloguing software for PC...?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

AtariKidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1 AtariKidX
Member since 2010 • 7156 Posts

i have many movies,T.V programs,music and many other files on my 2TB HDD and i'm looking for a good software that can scan my hard drive files and create a index with all the files the HDD have.Do you know any....??

soolkiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 soolkiki
Member since 2008 • 1783 Posts

Your brain.

Jk, I have no idea.

I'll leave now because I'm not contributing anything.

AtariKidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 AtariKidX
Anyone.....??
JimmyJumpy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#4 JimmyJumpy
Member since 2008 • 2554 Posts

i have many movies,T.V programs,music and many other files on my 2TB HDD and i'm looking for a good software that can scan my hard drive files and create a index with all the files the HDD have.Do you know any....??

AtariKidX

For music files, there's OrangeCD.  Not free but a mighty interesting program which has a lot of possibilities.

Slightly less impressive but easy to use is Uberview.  has only one version ever released, but it works like a charm.  Also connects with WinAmp when you have that player installed.

For free to use movie organizers, have a look roundabout here...

AtariKidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 AtariKidX

[QUOTE="AtariKidX"]

JimmyJumpy

For music files, there's OrangeCD.  Not free but a mighty interesting program which has a lot of possibilities.

Slightly less impressive but easy to use is Uberview.  has only one version ever released, but it works like a charm.  Also connects with WinAmp when you have that player installed.

I just want the actual file names from the HDD as a text file like a list. I don't care if the result is a Word .doc file or Excel .xls file, I just want my file names as text. I don't want to open any of the files, only save the names in a document. Any suggestions?
JimmyJumpy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#6 JimmyJumpy
Member since 2008 • 2554 Posts

[QUOTE="JimmyJumpy"]

[QUOTE="AtariKidX"]

AtariKidX

I just want the actual file names from the HDD as a text file like a list. I don't care if the result is a Word .doc file or Excel .xls file, I just want my file names as text. I don't want to open any of the files, only save the names in a document. Any suggestions?

Nope.

For a simple rendition of music files in text or html I used to use a small app from a guy called Andreas Andersson, called Andersson's Audiolist.  But his page has vanished and the Audiolist only recognized mp3 files.

Personally, I've got over 15,000 singles, maxis and full CDs and around 300 BR movies on my PC and I've got full notepad and Word lists of the lot, but I've made them manually and keep 'em up-to-date by simply adding a title everytime I add a file...

For Windows XP there used to be something called 'File List' to make text files from what's on a HDD but I've never used that.

I'm sure there must be apps out there which can make a text file of what's on a hard drive, but maybe you could ask Google...

*EDIT*

Here's a step-by-step explanation on how to make a list of all files on a hard drive using the command prompt.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

uh, i don't know any good solution except this

if you install cygwin you can use linux commands

ls -LR | grep .mp4 >> filename.txt

then swap .mp4 with .mp3 and so on, .m4v it will append to filename.txt instead of overwriting it

it will list all the files to filename.txt in your current dir

that will only list the file names, not their location

you'll have to use find for that

find . -name \*.mp3 >> saved.txt

EDIT: the above post shows a guide for windows cmd line natively, just use that.