Any confirmations on Windows 8 working well with gaming?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

KGB32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 KGB32
Member since 2007 • 4279 Posts

I'm able to attain Windows 8 for free because me being in the computer science program at my university. So, with basically no risk other than using up my time, is it worth installing 8 in replace of 7? I really enjoy 7, but I've heard that performance wise, 8 is a lot more optimized. However, I have heard that the UAC gets in the way a lot for things like changing file extensions, having programs open by default when you boot up the system, etc. As far as metro goes, I can get used to it, it basically functions the same (i can hit the windows key and start typing and it will search like 7 for an example) as far as I have seen. Anyone care to input something about it that will help me decide? Thanks.

jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts

Yeah, it works fine with 95% of all the games that win7 has no problem with. You will see minor issues occasionally (Ghost Recon Future Soldier with dual monitors for example). 

Be prepared for the new UI and getting used to it, it's a trainwreck at first. I recommend picking up classic shell immediately, I would dread win8 without it.

KGB32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 KGB32
I'm assuming classic shell is some program that makes everything look familiar to 7?
jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts

I'm assuming classic shell is some program that makes everything look familiar to 7?KGB32

Pretty much, it makes the transition to the new UI a lot less annoying and frustrating.

KGB32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 KGB32
Sweet, good to know, thanks!
moorken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 moorken
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
gaming works excelent on windows 8, theres not so much difference with 7, the differences are less then the ones between vista and windows 7, however, i still find the metro interface sucks, i just cant get used to it....
CPX7700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 CPX7700
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
It works fantastic, same as Windows 7. There is only one game I that will not run on Windows 8, an online MMO third person shooter called GunZ: The Duel, but most typical games will run perfectly.
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
yes it works with everything 7 works with
Squeets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Squeets
Member since 2006 • 8185 Posts

[QUOTE="KGB32"]I'm assuming classic shell is some program that makes everything look familiar to 7?jer_1

Pretty much, it makes the transition to the new UI a lot less annoying and frustrating.

I honestly don't understand the QQ relating to the UI... You can set the start menu to list and it is literally exactly the same as every other start menu in Windows history only full screen.

And outside of the start menu I literally have never utilized anything different.  99.8% of my time in Windows 8 is spent with the same old dekstop, same old quicklaunch bar, and same old folders.

I mean... If the start menu is honestly annoying and frustrating for you, seek help.

sleepingzzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10 sleepingzzz
Member since 2006 • 2263 Posts

I hate the interface. Some may like it but, most don't. It's a bad design and the only way for me to use it is to change the UI. With that said it runs better than Windows 7. It takes up less RAM and resources which helps people who have old machines or low end specs. If you got it for free go ahead and install it. See if you like the interface. If you're like most people it would probably be the first thing you change.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
I have no specific examples but I see still people complaining about compatibility problems here and there. I'm sure you'll be fine most of the time.
Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#12 Miroku32
Member since 2006 • 8666 Posts
So far so good, no problems at all.
Avatar image for GeneralMufinMan
GeneralMufinMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 GeneralMufinMan
Member since 2013 • 387 Posts

I've only had trouble with two game myself, and one of them had problems with windows vista & 7 too, The Movies and Fallout 3, I assume New Vegas will have troubles as well, but I haven't tested it yet. If you do go with windows 8, I highly recommend you get Start8 from StarDock or something similiar, without that Start-button/menu my productivity plummets.

LordShockTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 LordShockTitan
Member since 2013 • 218 Posts
Works fine with the games I play. Only really upgraded because of security reasons. Other than that, staying with 7, or going with 8, you should be okay.
Empirefrtw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Empirefrtw
Member since 2006 • 1324 Posts
It was fine except I couldn't get the original borderlands working on it not sure why but I went back to windows 7 will wait until service pack 1 and go back and hope for the best.
PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts
What benefits are there to upgrading to Win8? Does it handle SSDs better? Do games run better...?
Avatar image for GeneralMufinMan
GeneralMufinMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 GeneralMufinMan
Member since 2013 • 387 Posts

What benefits are there to upgrading to Win8? Does it handle SSDs better? Do games run better...?PernicioEnigma

Its faster in general, I wouldn't say games play any better then on 7, but maybe once developers start making them for it from the ground up. Some of the tools are improved (like task manager) and some people like the new metro interface, but I think the majority of us still just use desktop. Thats about it.

TheHighWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 TheHighWind
Member since 2003 • 5724 Posts

I could barely get Drakensang to run in a window on windows 8.

That's the only problem I've seen so far.

I play older games and I hope that they all can run on windows 8.

Rockman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Rockman999
Member since 2005 • 7507 Posts

I'm on my second month using it and I haven't had any issues.

[QUOTE="jer_1"]

[QUOTE="KGB32"]I'm assuming classic shell is some program that makes everything look familiar to 7?Squeets

I honestly don't understand the QQ relating to the UI... You can set the start menu to list and it is literally exactly the same as every other start menu in Windows history only full screen.

And outside of the start menu I literally have never utilized anything different.  99.8% of my time in Windows 8 is spent with the same old dekstop, same old quicklaunch bar, and same old folders.

I mean... If the start menu is honestly annoying and frustrating for you, seek help.

This.

I mostly stick to using the desktop and only use metro when I want to access files I didn't make a shortcut for on the desktop. 

Realmjumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20 Realmjumper
Member since 2007 • 840 Posts
I wouldn't upgrade, 7 is great. If it ain't broke don't fix it!
donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#21 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts
I can get Windows 8 for $10 thanks to the educational discount, but I'm never going to because Windows 7 is great for PC gaming. The only device I would use 8 on would be the Surface Pro.