AMD 6900XT vs Nvidia RTX 3090 @ $999 vs $1500 MSRP! The real question is, can AMD compete in the high-end GPU?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56107 Posts

Surprising no one hasn't made a similar thread but anyways. You gotta give AMD credit for finally competing the higher-end PC market, the 6900XT looks compelling to say the least, but I still wager PC gamers will favor Nvidia due to 6000 series doesn't have DLSS support & ray-tracing either. Anyhow, what does the PC Enthusiast thinks about this? Either way, this is great that Nvidia is getting good competition from AMD, they need it too and who knows, maybe Nvidia will work on 3090Ti...which is rumor but we shall wait and see how this all turns out.

(Though I never pay over a grand for a GPU and decided to go with 3070 when the hype dies down)

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17808 Posts

Great that they are getting their shit together. However, 6900XT is still not worth it over the 6800XT. Such a small performance boost for $350 more. Also, no ray tracing benchmarks shown and no answer to DLSS yet. We also need to see third party benchmarks on a wide variety of games to see the true potential of these GPUs. 3090 also has 24GB VRAM and Tensor cores which makes it better for professional workloads.

6800 seems like a bit of a tough sell at $80 more than 3070. It has twice the VRAM but at that point, you might as well go for the 6800XT ($70 more) and you will get more performance to go with that 16GB which makes it more viable for 4K. They should have just made it an 8GB card and priced it cheaper than the 3070 to make it more attractive.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

@BassMan: 3090 isn't worth it over 3080 either when looking at it from a price point.

How come FH4 prefers AMD so much?

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By BassMan

@horgen said:

@BassMan: 3090 isn't worth it over 3080 either when looking at it from a price point.

How come FH4 prefers AMD so much?

They are both bad value for gamers and not worth it. However, 3090 is not targeting just gamers. It is basically the Titan class card and geared towards prosumers who will be using it for professional use. For that, it is a good card as Quadro cards are usually very expensive. Basically, 3080 and 6800XT are the cards to buy if you are going 4K. If you want to save some money and are sticking with 1440p, then the 3070 is also a great card. 6800 doesn't really have a place as it has all this extra VRAM that drives up the price, but doesn't have the performance to go with it. So, you are better off spending a little bit more and getting the 6800XT.

3080 is good if you want 4K, ray tracing, and DLSS.

6800XT is good if you want 4K and are worried about VRAM. It is also a little bit cheaper than 3080. However, RT performance will be worse and no DLSS.

3070 is good if you are sticking to 1440p and want to save some money.

Certain games are better optimized for Nvidia and others for AMD. I wouldn't worry about it at all with FH4 as I can run it at 4K/120fps with the 3080.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator

What BassMan said is true regarding 3070, I only game in 1440p as it's my personal resolution, so the 3070 will be my choice later on. That said, I'm personally staying with Nvidia because of broadcast, HDMI 2.0 support in the future, and RTX Voice but I'm really glad to see competitive high-end cards out of AMD again, it's about time Nvidia getting competition cause they need a wake-up call.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11796 Posts

@davillain-: Hot damn, I was expecting AMD to compete with the RTX 3070 at best but them being able to go toe to toe with the RTX 3090 is surprising. I'm glad AMD is getting it together in the GPU department. If this went on for another generation Nvidia likely would have started slacking off like Intel did and the GPU market would have stagnated for a while like what happened with CPUs. I'm still going Nvidia because AMD doesn't have an answer to DLSS and DLSS support is growing pretty fast. Nearly every game on PC that supports ray tracing also supports DLSS and DLSS is a must have for games that use ray tracing. DLSS makes 4k@90-120fps on high end games an actual possibility.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 horgen  Moderator

@BassMan: One is bad, the other is horrible. The price variation within a card now is extreme. It's as much as a lower end gaming gpu here.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BassMan

@horgen said:

@BassMan: One is bad, the other is horrible. The price variation within a card now is extreme. It's as much as a lower end gaming gpu here.

It is ridiculous for sure. 3080 and 6800XT are reasonably priced though. No point of even looking at 6900XT or 3090 unless you have money to burn. They don't offer much more performance for gamers. So, they are mostly irrelevant.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 horgen  Moderator

@BassMan said:
@horgen said:

It is ridiculous for sure. 3080 and 6800XT are reasonably priced though. No point of even looking at 6900XT or 3090 unless you have money to burn. They don't offer much more performance for gamers. So, they are mostly irrelevant.

Price, not adjusted for inflation, for the 3080 is practically doubled compared to 680 which was the first top card I got. Power draw is up 50% as well. Price has gone up.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BassMan

@horgen said:
@BassMan said:
@horgen said:

Price, not adjusted for inflation, for the 3080 is practically doubled compared to 680 which was the first top card I got. Power draw is up 50% as well. Price has gone up.

Of course it has. These cards are getting more complex with additional Tensor Cores, RT cores, and overall larger die size. 3080 is over twice the die size of the 680. These things are not cheap to produce and they are spending a lot more on R&D. Then there is inflation like you said. GTX 680 was $499 and RTX 3080 is $699. So, overall the price is not that bad.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 horgen  Moderator

@BassMan said:
@horgen said:
@BassMan said:
@horgen said:

Of course it has. These cards are getting more complex with additional Tensor Cores, RT cores, and overall larger die size. 3080 is over twice the die size of the 680. These things are not cheap to produce and they are spending a lot more on R&D. Then there is inflation like you said. GTX 680 was $499 and RTX 3080 is $699. So, overall the price is not that bad.

Comparative prices here are 4999 vs 8000, but good luck finding a 3080 below 9000.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fd4737f5f083
deactivated-5fd4737f5f083

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5fd4737f5f083
Member since 2018 • 937 Posts

Eventhough I have a 3080, imo the 6800XT is the #1 card to have this generation judging by current information available. The majority of games won't utilise RT yet and it seems the amd performs better without it and at a lower price.

Been a long time coming but I reckon amd will gain massively on nvidia oevr the next couple of years.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17817 Posts

Great to see.we have seen what happens with some proper competition in the CPU space and hopefully this is the start of a similar period in the GPU space. who knows: intel may also surprise (but its not looking good at the moment.). RDNA was a sign that AMD were definitely focusing on the right areas and RDNA 2 is another major improvement.

Hopefully AMD doesn't have a repeat of the driver issues with the 5700 series at launch also. i suspect there will be some teething problems as there has been with the RTX 3000 series but hopefully those are resolved quickly. The hardware looks good.

the 6800XT is looking very tempting for me. im leaning more towards it instead of the 3080 as its more suitable for my use case. i wont be getting a new GPU till next year though (holding out for the 6800XT nitro+).

the 6800 needs to drop in price a bit. if they could get it to price parity with the 3070 then it could be a very nice seller for them. i think 80 quid more than a 3070 is going to be painful for it.

Avatar image for deactivated-631373f44e9fd
deactivated-631373f44e9fd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-631373f44e9fd
Member since 2004 • 549 Posts

one thing to note on their "benchmarks"

its running oc'd "rage mode" and using AMDs proprietary "SAM" which only works if you have a 5000 series ryzen cpu & x570 chipset.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

The price is tempting BUT having Nvidia's DLSS almost doubling the fps make it a must have technology in every game compared to Ray Tracing which is a neat feature.

I'd go with Nvidia if I've got the money for it it's well worth it.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DaVillain  Moderator

@gerygo said:

The price is tempting BUT having Nvidia's DLSS almost doubling the fps make it a must have technology in every game compared to Ray Tracing which is a neat feature.

I'd go with Nvidia if I've got the money for it it's well worth it.

Pretty much this to be honest. I love using Ray-tracing whenever a game supports it and I'll be upgrading to 3070 either this month or somewhere in January 2021.

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 AlexKidd5000
Member since 2005 • 3103 Posts

What I find amazing, is that AMD can compete with the RTX 30 with half the number of cores.

mobius_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 mobius_basic
Member since 2002 • 708 Posts

I for one am so glad that AMD has struck gold with these new cards at the listed price point if what they are saying is true. FINALLY some competition in the GPU market again...it's been a spell. I am also wanting to see the 3rd party benchmarks....so will hold my enthusiasm. I'm a 3090 owner and I want this. I hope AMD kicks NVidias butt with their new cards. Tired of Nvidia controlling the market like they do. But yes in the same breath I am guilty of purchasing their over priced high end cards.....looks over at my 3090. Don't get me started on the 10900K I purchased to go along with it. Here's looking at you Ryzen :).

We all know that they are not meant to be $ per performance cards over their siblings. Returns on performance is very limited. History shows us they rarely are. Though I am very happy with the recent purchases I have made (due to lack of competition) I am so glad that AMD is bringing the heat and gives me, the consumer another choice to look at. It's been a long time coming from this guys Athlon 64/9700 Pro days. Your move Nvidia and Intel.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts
Loading Video...

Turns out AMD lied about stock and lied about MSRP... Even worse than Nvidia, as you can get Asus TUF for $720-740.

AMD after Market cards are selling for $750-800 USD!

• Lied about stock
  • Lied about 4K rasterization performance vs 3080
  • lied about MSRP
  • lied about 250w TDP as cards are hitting 300w and aftermarket cards 350w
  • Bad Ray Tracing performance vs 3080

So... How much you want to bet a 6900XT at $1000 at 250w will happen?... I think they will have EXTREMELY limited stock for AMD 6900XT cards at MSRP and the only cards you will be able to buy is aftermarket cards that will be 350w and $1200-1300.

This launch is a fail, and due to all the hype its even worse than Nvidia in my opinion especially when you count ray tracing.

Give me a TUF 3080 over these POS any day.

$800!... f*** me.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator

@Grey_Eyed_Elf: At this point, the RTX 3070 is just a much better value for what you are paying for. Even an RTX 3080 for that matter.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 horgen  Moderator

@Grey_Eyed_Elf: If this launch is anything to go by, one should order as fast as possible to get a cheap price.

@davillain- said:

@Grey_Eyed_Elf: At this point, the RTX 3070 is just a much better value for what you are paying for. Even an RTX 3080 for that matter.

XX80 series have never been good value compared to XX70 when it comes to nVidia.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Grey_Eyed_Elf

@horgen: @davillain-:

Well price to performance has always favoured the mid tier GPU's.

I personally want a 100% locked into getting a RTX 3080 TUF.

AMD shat the bed with this launch, at least with Nvidia when you could buy a GPU it was at MSRP like and AIB's like the TUF only $50 more than MSRP but AMD reference sold out instantly and now all you are left with is cards that cost the same or more than 3080's so the price to performance of RX 6800XT is just bad full stop now.

There is no such thing as a bad card just a bad price!... And unless AMD pushes reference cards and or lower's the price they sell there chips to AIB's the RDNA2 lineup is pure fail.

$800?... Jesus that is $50-100 for a GPU that performs worse at ray tracing and 4K and has no DLSS.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 horgen  Moderator

@Grey_Eyed_Elf: How many cards did nvidia have that had MSRP price? Here it was like 2 or 3, both which had their price increased within minutes of sales opening.

Still I managed to order one on launch day which saved me money compared to ordering it now.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Grey_Eyed_Elf

@horgen said:

@Grey_Eyed_Elf: How many cards did nvidia have that had MSRP price? Here it was like 2 or 3, both which had their price increased within minutes of sales opening.

Still I managed to order one on launch day which saved me money compared to ordering it now.

MSRP is what the manufacturers is recommending you sell it. You are confusing MSRP with what a retailer does with high demand and low stock with increasing prices.

AMD's entire selling point was $650 GPU that is $50 cheaper and a little faster than a $700 3080.

The problem is MSRP of AIB cards... The cheapest is $750 which is $100 over reference!... vs Asus TUF 3080 at $730 which is $30 over reference.

AMD clearly lied about the costs of the GPU's, they are clearly selling the chips to AIBs with little margin for profit its why they have drastically different prices in MSRP vs Reference.

Nvidia has AIB cards at $700 to $780 with only the Ultra end cards being over $800.

SO even when prices stabilise from more stock AMD's cards will still be more expensive because its not the retailers pricing it its the AIB partners who have those MSRPs up.

Price to performance 6800XT loses to a RTX 3080 due to this, making it just a bad BAD sell when it already loses in RT performance drastically.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 horgen  Moderator

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:
@horgen said:

MSRP is what the manufacturers is recommending you sell it. You are confusing MSRP with what a retailer does with high demand and low stock with increasing prices.

AMD's entire selling point was $650 GPU that is $50 cheaper and a little faster than a $700 3080.

The problem is MSRP of AIB cards... The cheapest is $750 which is $100 over reference!... vs Asus TUF 3080 at $730 which is $30 over reference.

AMD clearly lied about the costs of the GPU's, they are clearly selling the chips to AIBs with little margin for profit its why they have drastically different prices in MSRP vs Reference.

Nvidia has AIB cards at $700 to $780 with only the Ultra end cards being over $800.

SO even when prices stabilise from more stock AMD's cards will still be more expensive because its not the retailers pricing it its the AIB partners who have those MSRPs up.

Price to performance 6800XT loses to a RTX 3080 due to this, making it just a bad BAD sell when it already loses in RT performance drastically.

You guys are lucky the nvidia cards are so close to MSRP. MSRP for nvidia here was roughly 800$. TUF was originally at 900$, but apparently it was supposed to be 800$ to begin with so the price was lowered before release. Now the AIB cards are 900-1150$.

Since I got the RTX 3080 I haven't followed the price for the RT 6800XT so much. It does seem like the price there is roughly the same 970-1100$ except for the one with AIO cooling that goes for 1200$.

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 AlexKidd5000

FINALLY was able to buy a Radeon 6000 card, albeit at an outrageous price, but I finally have one!

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 BassMan

@AlexKidd5000 said:

FINALLY was able to buy a Radeon 6000 card, albeit at an outrageous price, but I finally have one!

Which one did you end up getting?

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#28 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

Thanks for supporting the gross prices, Nvidia and AMD will be proud. You guys are the problem.

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 AlexKidd5000

@BassMan said:
@AlexKidd5000 said:

The Powercolor Red Devil 6900 XT. Saw it, it was the only one there, and so bought it.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 BassMan

@AlexKidd5000 said:
@BassMan said:
@AlexKidd5000 said:

The Powercolor Red Devil 6900 XT. Saw it, it was the only one there, and so bought it.

That thing is beastly. Congrats.

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 AlexKidd5000

@BassMan said:
@AlexKidd5000 said:
@BassMan said:
@AlexKidd5000 said:

That thing is beastly. Congrats.

Yes it is, thanks.

neatfeatguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#32  Edited By neatfeatguy
Member since 2005 • 4400 Posts

I've had a couple of opportunities to get a new GPU from my local Micro Center over the past few weeks....but the hiked up prices at the retailer just disgust me.

The few RTX 3070 that were available had nearly a 50% price hike and the RX 6080 cards were no longer around $600-650 range, they were over a grand ($1030). Cards that originally released for around $500 (RTX 3070) and $600 (RX 6800) are now grossly overpriced.

But, even with the horrific new pricing at the retailer, these cards were selling for about $200 cheaper than scalper prices. These cards didn't last long. They sold fast the very next morning, within the first 20 minutes of the store opening. You needed to be in line at least 60 minutes early for a chance at picking one up, but you won't catch me dropping that kind of cash on a GPU.

I was psyched when these new GPUs launched and the performance they offered at the price point. Finally, something worthwhile in the $500-600 range that I was comfortable in buying......that sure was short lived. I'm patiently waiting to find a GPU that gives at least twice the performance of my 980Ti and cost is in that $600 or less range. The RTX 3070 and RX 6800 were those cards. I guess I keep waiting now.