Am I the only one who enjoyed more doom 3 than half life 2?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for quakeknight1991
quakeknight1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 quakeknight1991
Member since 2006 • 1528 Posts

Of course the story and the characters in half life 2 were much better than the ones in doom 3, but i liked a lot more the gameplay of doom 3, I mean the enemies of doom 3 were muuuch cooler than the ones in half life 2. The guns were also cooler in doom 3(Bfg9000>Gravity gun). Also the creepy scenes of doom 3 made it for me much more fun than half life 2. The atmosphere in doom 3 was also better than the atmosphere in half life 2 and the maps were also better in my opinion in doom 3. And also the antagonist in doom 3 was cooler than the one in half life 2 ( Dr.Betruger>Dr.Breen).

But of course thats my opinion and i respect the opinions of other people and i also enjoyed very much half life 2 ( Cant wait for ep2)

Cravenraptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Cravenraptor
Member since 2005 • 66 Posts

I fully agree with you mate. Doom3 offers a lot more tension than HL2 but: I would not say that the DOOM Levels are better designed. Both games have their advantages. Doom has a claustrophobic base on Mars. HL2 has open air areas en masse, like the canals, or the City itself.

Yes Dr. Betruger is much cooler than Dr. Breen. Breen looks to neat for me with his white beard - a litte like Santa Claus :)

Craven

DDX2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 DDX2
Member since 2004 • 6316 Posts
i really liked Doom 3's one man against hell story. i dont know which one to pick, they were both amazing
JN_Fenrir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 JN_Fenrir
Member since 2004 • 1551 Posts

Of course the story and the characters in half life 2 were much better than the ones in doom 3, but i liked a lot more the gameplay of doom 3, I mean the enemies of doom 3 were muuuch cooler than the ones in half life 2. The guns were also cooler in doom 3(Bfg9000>Gravity gun). Also the creepy scenes of doom 3 made it for me much more fun than half life 2. The atmosphere in doom 3 was also better than the atmosphere in half life 2 and the maps were also better in my opinion in doom 3. And also the antagonist in doom 3 was cooler than the one in half life 2 ( Dr.Betruger>Dr.Breen).

But of course thats my opinion and i respect the opinions of other people and i also enjoyed very much half life 2 ( Cant wait for ep2)

quakeknight1991
In my opinion: Story - I have to admit, I really liked Doom 3's premise. It sets the mood to "survive" well enough and does a good job making you feel like survival is hopeless (evoking emotion in a game is no small feat). As far as the overall plot goes, however, I have to give it to Half-Life 2. Sure, it's strongly reminiscent of 1984, but it carries the plot really well and gives your actions substance. Doom 3 was just a "point-A-to-point-B" manhunt. Meh. WINNER: Half-Life 2 Characters - Believe it or not, I'm calling this one a tie. Half-Life 2 had a cast of really interesting and well-written supporting characters (including Alyx Vance, who, let's face it, we all want to shag, lol) as well as one of the most badass video game heroes ever, Gordon Freeman. But everyone else in the game was just a generic "oppressed" NPC. I absolutely loved finding those PDAs scattered about Doom 3's levels, getting to learn a little bit about the people who had lived and worked (and been horrifically slaughtered by the minions of Hell) in the facility. WINNER: Tie Weapons - For the most part, I agree with you. The guns in Doom 3 felt really good, and to be honest, I was never that impressed by the gravity gun either (even the cheap rip-off featured in the Resurrection of Hell expansion for Doom 3). But I also thought the energy weapons in Doom 3 were really cheesy and somewhat useless. And HL2's ant-lion pheropods are definitely FTW. :) WINNER: Doom 3 Environments - I think Doom 3 lost its visual edge after about the first hour or so. Sure, it took you down some creepy paths, and the Hell levels are easily some of the best I have ever seen in any game ever period, but it didn't really draw me in. Half-Life 2's more realistic setting made it feel more like it was really you who was being forced to survive, not some generic space marine. And it was always pitch f***ing black! A little hard to see the environments at all if you ask me. WINNER: Half-Life 2 Overall, I have to give it to Valve. Of course, I love id games, and the entirety of the Doom series, but to be honest, the fact that people are even comparing Doom 3's fairly simple run-and-gun action to Half-Life 2 should be considered a compliment. ;)
FragMonkey09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 FragMonkey09
Member since 2005 • 1543 Posts
I'm not a big fan of closet monsters so I dind't really enjoy doom 3.
NormJ_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 NormJ_85
Member since 2007 • 95 Posts
I definitely enjoyed HL2 more, Doom 3 (except for hell level) felt like the EXACT SAME MAPS OVER AND OVER, all though it was still pretty decent it was just very repetitive.
BounceDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 BounceDK
Member since 2005 • 7388 Posts
Monsters hiding in walls totally ruined Doom3 for me. Who knows how long they've been in there just waiting to jump you....
Nepherate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Nepherate
Member since 2003 • 881 Posts

While HL2 was pretty revolutionary for its game design...I actually enjoyed playing through Doom 3 much more.

This is probably because I'm a Doom fanatic and enjoyed seeing all of my favorite demons reinvented. 

Domingo1093

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Domingo1093
Member since 2005 • 195 Posts

Personnally I prefer HL 2 for the same reasons like everyone else. However, I agree on the fact that Doom 3 has more variety in the weapons. In fact, I believe it is the weakness of HL 2...few weapons...I hope Valve will change that point in episode 2

JN_Fenrir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 JN_Fenrir

This is probably because I'm a Doom fanatic and enjoyed seeing all of my favorite demons reinvented.

Nepherate
I feel ya. That's why I actually even enjoyed the movie (*gasp!*). lol
KingSigy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#11 KingSigy
Member since 2003 • 634 Posts
I'm not sure how you can ay Doom 3 is better. I know everyone has an opinion, but just taking a level breakdown, Half Life 2 has more shooting action then Doom 3. The enemies are also smarter, the levels more realistically designed, the weapons are more original then a standard FPS. Nothing about Doom 3 technically is better then Half Life 2, except maybe the presentation of the story. The story in Doom though is as ancient as games come
Jack_Summersby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Jack_Summersby
Member since 2005 • 1444 Posts

I'm not a big fan of closet monstersFragMonkey09

What about pocket clowns?

AstraNoString

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 AstraNoString
Member since 2003 • 350 Posts
I enjoyed both games a lot.  I would have to say that I enjoyed HL2 more, since I've played through the entire game a few times and I have yet to pick up Doom3 since I originaly finished the game.
JN_Fenrir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 JN_Fenrir

[QUOTE="FragMonkey09"]I'm not a big fan of closet monstersJack_Summersby

What about pocket clowns?

One vote for pocket clowns.
nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#15 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
certainly not the only one but I prefered hl2, I still rate Doom 3 pretty high though.
Jack_Summersby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Jack_Summersby
Member since 2005 • 1444 Posts

I'm not sure how you can ay Doom 3 is better. I know everyone has an opinion, but just taking a level breakdown, Half Life 2 has more shooting action then Doom 3. KingSigy

That's laughable. I spent half of HL:2 driving around in some ghetto a$$ go-kart, and the other half lifting things with a gravity gun. WOW WOW WOO EEE!!!! The novelty wore off quickly, and I just wanted to shoot bad guys again.

The enemies are also smarterKingSigy

I think this one's a tie - both games had abysmal AI.

the levels more realistically designed, the weapons are more original then a standard FPS..KingSigy

Originality != Quality

Doom 3 weapons had a great feel. HL:2 weapons felt like Nerf toys.

Nothing about Doom 3 technically is better then Half Life 2, except maybe the presentation of the story. KingSigy

Doom 3 graphics are far better than HL:2 graphics. HL:2 had more style, but technically, I found Doom 3 more impressive.

The story in Doom though is as ancient as games comeKingSigy

Show me a new story in any form of media. They're all rehashes, but that's not a bad thing. It's possible to re-tell a story in a novel way and make it great. Doom 3 did a pretty good job.

Bottom line: Doom 3 beats HL:2, but neither game is amazing.

Jinded

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Jinded
Member since 2004 • 107 Posts
I liked both games, but Doom 3 looked absolutely stunning on Ultra settings at a high resolution, and complete with surround sound, it was a very atmospheric experience.
Nepherate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Nepherate
Member since 2003 • 881 Posts

I'm not sure how you can ay Doom 3 is better. I know everyone has an opinion, but just taking a level breakdown, Half Life 2 has more shooting action then Doom 3. The enemies are also smarter, the levels more realistically designed, the weapons are more original then a standard FPS. Nothing about Doom 3 technically is better then Half Life 2, except maybe the presentation of the story. The story in Doom though is as ancient as games comeKingSigy

I never said Doom 3 was a better game. HL2, as I said, was much better designed. I just enjoyed playing through Doom 3 more. Its a matter of opinion. I like demons more than headcrabs, lol. 

ArcticSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ArcticSnake
Member since 2003 • 942 Posts

I'm not sure how you can ay Doom 3 is better. I know everyone has an opinion, but just taking a level breakdown, Half Life 2 has more shooting action then Doom 3. The enemies are also smarter, the levels more realistically designed, the weapons are more original then a standard FPS. Nothing about Doom 3 technically is better then Half Life 2, except maybe the presentation of the story. The story in Doom though is as ancient as games comeKingSigy

He never said he thought Doom 3 was BETTER, he said it was more fun.
And I agree with him on it. I think many people are impressed with HL2 and its technical achievements and never really consider other factors (aside from the stort/characters). Yes HL2 is superior, but it was boring in several parts when it tries to show off its technical and story aspects and thats all. I just enjoy knowing that my shotgun shells are aimed at a pinky demon.

Zillaschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Zillaschool
Member since 2004 • 1610 Posts

Of course the story and the characters in half life 2 were much better than the ones in doom 3, but i liked a lot more the gameplay of doom 3, I mean the enemies of doom 3 were muuuch cooler than the ones in half life 2. The guns were also cooler in doom 3(Bfg9000>Gravity gun). Also the creepy scenes of doom 3 made it for me much more fun than half life 2. The atmosphere in doom 3 was also better than the atmosphere in half life 2 and the maps were also better in my opinion in doom 3. And also the antagonist in doom 3 was cooler than the one in half life 2 ( Dr.Betruger>Dr.Breen).

quakeknight1991

Nope you are not along i to like doom 3 better than HL2.

xVx-Moat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 xVx-Moat
Member since 2004 • 113 Posts

I'm gonna give a few points on what I remember from playing the 2 games (Though is has been a while and some points may just be a result of poor memory).

Half life 2

-I liked the graphics on it

-gameplay good

-most the weapons were kinda lame (apart from the gravity gun)

-A.I sucked

-very short

-not as good as HL 1

Doom 3

-nice graphics (shame you cant see em half the time)

-the fighting/shooting is very basic and the AI sucks but its still fun (felt old school to me........though others might think its just bad)

-Liked some of the weapons

- I really liked the use of light (or lack of) in the game and how you could only see in some areas with the flashlight but that would make you vulnerable.

-unfortunately after the first few times, you can pretty much guess where most of the enemies will leap out from

-also very short

Pretty close but I think that overall Doom 3 was a more enjoyable game for me

l-_-l

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 l-_-l
Member since 2003 • 6718 Posts

quakeknight1991
I didn't read your post, but will respond to the threads title Question. I loved Doom 3 alot. I liked the dark setting with the monsters jumping out at you all the time. But Doom 3 aint no Half Life 2. I like HL2 alot more. It mixed it up to much for this to even be a far contest. HL2 wins hands down. In Doom 3, you run around the whole time and thats it. In HL2 you drive a boat, a buggy, to run, you control some bad ass giant insects. Your weapon selection is also alot better in HL2, and the story comparison is a joke. While I understood the story, I love the HL series story.
fireandcloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 fireandcloud
Member since 2005 • 5118 Posts
i enjoy playing texas hold'em online. i think i have the most fun doing that. but i would never say texas hold'em on msn or poker superstars 2 is better than half-life 2. doom 3 may have had that visceral thrill of going around shooting monsters in the dark, so it may be more 'fun', but games are more than just about having fun (though that's a big part of it, and hl2 does deliver in the fun factor as well); it's about the experience. there were just so many memorable moments in hl2 that were almost absent in doom 3; i don't consider crawling around in the dark and being 'scared' from some monster attacking me from behind a memorable experience. that's like watching friday the 13th and saying it's the best horror movie cuz it was so thrilling, waiting for the unexpected to jump out from around the corner, off-screen.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f5404ad8217e
deactivated-5f5404ad8217e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-5f5404ad8217e
Member since 2005 • 1637 Posts
i throughly enjoyed half life 2
Jinroh_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Jinroh_basic
Member since 2002 • 6413 Posts
to the TC....in terms of sp, i actually enjoy Quake 4 the most. :)
Avatar image for quakeknight1991
quakeknight1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 quakeknight1991
Member since 2006 • 1528 Posts

.  Half Life 2 has more shooting action then Doom 3.  KingSigy

Man, there is alot more shooting and visceral action in doom3 cuz in half life 2 there are lots of puzzles and cutscenes, and

in doom 3 there is almost only action

Warpld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#27 Warpld
Member since 2007 • 132 Posts

Both games are technically great for their time but Half-Life 2 is superior, there's no doubt about it. However, that's not what I care about. For me, Doom 3 managed to create a thick atmosphere and the story, though shallow, was told very well through those PDAs. At the same time I never understood why I go through 2/3 of all the places that I passed in Half-Life 2. There was no thought to them. It's just that they were there just because they made them so well, they had to be in the game. Yes, Half-Life 2's level design was better but I felt no connection between the levels while I really knew why I go to the next same narrow place in Doom 3 and the moment when the elevator doors opened for the first time for me on the last teleportation lab level, was a really memorable for me. What's more, I see that there are other people, too, that were annoyed with the driving sequences. They were really stupid. And as a whole, Half-Life 2 was soooooo easy even on hardest setting. I am a CS freak and I just devastated the game on hardest setting having to reload just a few times my first time through it. Not that Doom 3 was challenging, but the scripting posed some interesting situations.

What else? - The enemies in Doom 3 were better in general, though Half-Life 2 had some gems that shine above all in Doom 3 like the striders and the flying ships. As for weapons, I don't agree that Doom 3 weapons were better in general, it's just that there was some real good sense of power to them. I just loved blasting enemies with the shotgun!

Well, as you can see, you are not alone :). I'm just another person that liked Doom 3 far better. Half-Life 2 was a good game, too, though :).

bugtrip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28 bugtrip
Member since 2004 • 1260 Posts
Half life 2 was amazing, and evolved FPS technology - paved the way for more great hits to follow using the source engine. Doom 3 is meh, nice gfx. Fun first time around, like all the other games on the doom 3 engine.
Avitu666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Avitu666
Member since 2005 • 316 Posts

In a way, comparing Half Life 2 to Doom 3 is like comparing apples to oranges.

they're both shooters, but in a radically different style (after all, it was Valve's idea to make the FPS genre evolve, whereas ID software clearly wanted to go old-school).

Then again, Half Life 2 uses the Steam thingie...that's at least one advantage Doom 3 holds over HL 2 :)

Vortec33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Vortec33
Member since 2005 • 685 Posts

I thought Hl2 was wonderful. I also think Doom 3 was one of the most under appreciated games of all time. The first couple hours with my 500 watt subwoffer blasting and the lights off was gaming nirvana.

These are great days...

Erlkoenig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Erlkoenig
Member since 2006 • 715 Posts

I uninstalled Doom 3 the 25th time some monster jumped me from behind. That, to me, is cheap scare device, the game doesn't have to be scary because that trick works 99% of the time.

It's like most of the horror movies nowaday. They all go for these sudden jump-out-of-your-seat scares that are so predictable but guaranteed to get you most of the time because of the 200 decibel sound effects that accompany them.

HL2, on the other hand, has the awesome Ravenholm (sp?) chapter that is better than anything Doom3 has to offer in the first 5-6 hours (I uninstalled it, remember?)

elmoXPXP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 elmoXPXP
Member since 2003 • 1493 Posts

I enjoyed Half Life 1 more than Half Life 2, but I truly hate Doom 3.  The never-ending boring industrial pipes and pistons.  The life-sapping dull voice recordings to get codes again and again for lockers, which is lame and repetitive.  The jumping out of the shadows predictable enemy placement.  The pathetic weaponry.  The tiny annoying flashlight.  The total lack of any sense of fun or humour.  It did not re-capture the spirit of the Doom 1 and 2 imo.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#33 vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts
Doom 3 got way to repetitive for me. Some of the cutscenes early on were amazing and scary as hell, but overall HL2 is just the best game to me.