Am i going to get my a** kicked on PC haha?

arcadia07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 arcadia07
Member since 2018 • 14 Posts

Hi, so I've predominately been a console gamer my whole life (a very good one if i dont say so myself), i'm at the point where i'm close to buying an extreme gaming unit, i9 CPU, RTX 2080i 64GB RAM etc... it'll hook up to a 65 inch 4K QLED TV. Thinking about the different options i have and I've come down to 2 different ones:

1. Use 4K TV when gaming but use a controller

2. Use 4K TV when gaming but somehow use a mouse and keyboard while sitting infront of the TV

I just cant see how i'd use the mouse and keyboard on a TV that size whereas with the controller you can sit and move wherever you want etc... if i end up using the controller then what are the chances of me getting my ass kicked? Yes i'm aware the mouse and keyboard for shooters etc... will be the better choice but can't see any workarounds at the moment.

Any advice?

bigfootpart2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 bigfootpart2
Member since 2013 • 1131 Posts

You will get slaughtered, especially in FPS. I wouldn't even try using a controller in something like CSGO. You will be so bad you will get laughed out of the match or even kicked. KB + M is MASSIVELY superior to controller in nearly all 3D games.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

Certain games work better with K&M, certain games work better with controller.

I usually just go for whatever feels better to me. I wont even consider playing a FPS with a controller.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

Yes you will, I have played PUBG on my 4K QLED with a XB1 controller... It did not end well for me and nor did it ever feel like I had total control of my movement in terms of precision.

For non competitive games your all good but for FPS games get your self a high frequency display and a good mouse and your all good.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts

Controllers work better than most people will admit with many PC games. You'll likely be using Steam to get many of your games as well, and they incorporate Big Picture mode and Steam Controller into the titles they can, as does the community.

You will get absolutely owned in multiplayer games, however. Especially shooters.

With that said, try to find a way to use a mouse and keyboard :D There are a lot of ways around it. For example:

1. Sit on the ground and use a coffee table as your "desk". It's what I do sometimes.

2. Find a "laptop" control unit or whatever. Corsair sells a wireless keyboard-and-mouse combo that sits on your lap and has a mousepad built into it. You could also just build one yourself with, idunno, a piece of plywood lol. Then just rest your normal wireless/wired mouse and keyboard on it.

lucidique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 150

#7  Edited By lucidique
Member since 2003 • 791 Posts
@pyro1245 said:

Certain games work better with K&M, certain games work better with controller.

This is the best answer.

Have you been using a computer to browse the web with a mouse and keyboard in the past?

Realistically, you should be able to adapt relatively quickly.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

I don't see what the problem is here...

1. Get a long HDMI cable to hook up to the TV and put the computer close by, use a wired kb/mouse and put the kb on your lap and the mouse next to you. You can also use a PS4/XB1 controller if you want for single-player games.

2. Get a wireless kb/mouse. There's also wireless adapters for controllers.

I use option 2, and don't have any drawbacks.

arcadia07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 arcadia07

@mrbojangles25:Thanks, that makes the most sense to me, i couldn't picture how it would work sitting on a bed or couch with a keyboard on your lap and a most to the side, didn’t seem practical at all. With a monitor on a desk then yeah i could've just put the mouse and keyboard on the same table and used it like that but with a 65 inch 4K TV that isn’t going to happen haha.

Mind if i ask a potential silly question to? One of the games i plan on playing again is Battlefront 2, take a scenario for example flying an X-Wing using the controller always seemed great to me and made the most sense because you could fly in all directions and angles. Could you explain how that would be possible with a KB + mouse? What I’m getting at it is, up, down, right and left seem to be the only options on a keyboard whereas on a controller you get all angles. How would this work?

Thanks

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts

@arcadia07: You control the direction of the x-wing with the mouse, so you still get all directions. Speed and braking is done with the keyboard.

It's really not that different from a controller when you think about it. You can configure it how you like, as well; inverted or not, sensitivity, rebinding keys.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@bigfootpart2: FPS, yeah, almost all 3d game lol no.

Andrew1242

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Andrew1242
Member since 2018 • 3 Posts

@arcadia07: you have to get a 144hz monitor if you have that kind of money to spend.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 GTR12

@andrew1242 said:

@arcadia07: you have to get a 144hz monitor if you have that kind of money to spend.

144Hz? LOL

There's 200Hz.

bucksfan70

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 bucksfan70
Member since 2018 • 6 Posts

@arcadia07: you will get input lag from the 4k tv and get destroyed.

arcadia07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By arcadia07

Like i said i'm not a PC gamer guy originally so i'm totally not clued up on the refresh rate and 144Hz and 200 Hz monitors can anyone fill me in on them?

The 4K TV that i want to use and have bought is this one:

Samsung QE65Q6F 65

I believe the refresh rate is 120Hz

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By GTR12

@arcadia07 said:

Like i said i'm not a PC gamer guy originally so i'm totally not clued up on the refresh rate and 144Hz and 200 Hz monitors can anyone fill me in on them?

The 4K TV that i want to use and have bought is this one:

Samsung QE65Q6F 65

PC's can output more than 60fps (which yours can) and the Hz correlates to the fps capable, 144hz - 144fps possible, 200Hz - 200fps possible.

The higher the fps, the smoother the image and you generally play better (maybe 0.1% of people don't).

TV's typically are 60Hz, so 60fps, the truemotion 600Hz and others are lies.

But don't worry about it, a first PC is ok without it, when you want to experience it, you need to go to monitors for now, and forget 4k, at best, it will be 1440p.