Am I able to reuse PC game activation codes?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Stunneronureyez
Stunneronureyez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Stunneronureyez
Member since 2010 • 506 Posts

Ok I am completely new to PC gaming. Am I able to reuse the 25 alphanumeric game activation code that comes with every PC game (usually located either on the back of the game's manual or on a label inside the case) which you input during the installation? As in, use it on an entirely different PC?

nilzg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 nilzg
Member since 2008 • 753 Posts

Ok I am completely new to PC gaming. Am I able to reuse the 25 alphanumeric game activation code that comes with every PC game (usually located either on the back of the game's manual or on a label inside the case) which you input during the installation? As in, use it on an entirely different PC?

Stunneronureyez

short: YES long: you can but sometimes (mostly) you need to remove the games from that other computer (the first one) since some connect to the interwebz and if you then start the same game on the other computer it will also connect to the internet thus seeing 2 the same codes/keys which could indicate piracy which then would cause that none of the computers (any computer) can use that key again. So uninstall the game(s) first then install them on the other computer

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

Stunneronureyez

most of the time no.. its 1 shot dealio

certain titles have installation limits like red alert 3 for example had a 3 pc activation limit.

James161324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 James161324
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

Sometimes yes, but more than not no

Avatar image for Stunneronureyez
Stunneronureyez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Stunneronureyez
Member since 2010 • 506 Posts

So what are they tied down to exactly? The HDD? If I change the HDD will reinstalling the game and reusing the same activation code not work?

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
For any game that doesn't involve tying that serial key to an account, you can install that game multiple times, and on multiple computers if you wish. The only restriction is that you can't play online if the CD key is currently being used to be played online elsewhere. You wouldn't get banned or in any sort of trouble though. Other games have DRM and will give you an 'install' limit notification when you install the game, and it would be hard to miss. A lot of games have this type of DRM removed through patches.