Alan Wake worth buying?

• 57 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Pomn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Pomn
Member since 2008 • 59 Posts

I'm just wondering for all those who got it on PC is it worth purchasing? Steam have it for £26.99 I think.

Is it worth that much? I got so excited about it years ago when it was first announced but I'm not sure if it's worth my time or not considering how linear it is. Don't get me wrong linear doesn't bother me too much but my expectations were so high from the initial announcements.

So basically, YAY/NAY and reasons please! Thanks

turaaggeli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 turaaggeli
Member since 2007 • 785 Posts

Go for it. I bought it for the 360 back when it was still "exclusive"...:roll: Anyway, I definitely recommend getting it. It may be linear but it makes up for it by presenting an excellent story that has some nice twists and turns to it and a great cast of voice-actors that really push the emotion behind the story and it's set-pieces. It's a nerve-racking adventure that has some genuinely scary and terrifying moments and will leave a lasting impression on you. It did on me atleast :P

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#3 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts

I would wait for a sale or skip it all together. I've played 8 hrs so far and the game is a disappointment. It feels several years too late and its horribly overwritten. The game play is ridiculously simple, padded only by frequent cutscenes, featuring a weak cast of uninteresting characters and caricatures. I get caught up very easily in the atmosphere and mood of games and films but AW is one of the least scariest horror titles I can remember. They don't even try to spook you.

Pomn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Pomn

Well that's a huge difference in opinions. Damn.

PcGamingRig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 PcGamingRig
Member since 2009 • 7386 Posts

I need to know the answer to this topic too.

more views from other people would be helpful. :D

tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 tjricardo089
Member since 2010 • 7429 Posts

Totally.

Avatar image for IxX3xil3d0n3XxI
IxX3xil3d0n3XxI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#8 IxX3xil3d0n3XxI
Member since 2006 • 1508 Posts
I am happy with it. While at some times the plot choices are questionable the game is gorgeous maxed and the story is written good enough to make me finish it. I probably would of bought it at full price, $29 was a steal for me on Steam.
robertlie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 robertlie
Member since 2003 • 866 Posts

Yeah absolutely. I loved it from beginning to end. Love the atmosphere, the scenery, the cheesy film noirish story. Sure, the game has its flaws but all in all a great game. And you get it at a nice price to boot.

Pomn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Pomn

Well it seems like most people enjoy it, reckon I'll give it a try and take the punt!

Even if it's just to see the beautiful graphics.

Thanks for all the comments everyone.

geitenvla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#11 geitenvla
Member since 2006 • 960 Posts

I think I'll wait a little longer for the bargain bin. I've got enough to tie me over and some ohter upcoming titles which got my interest. I'm waiting for Max Payne 3 now, looks really promising; I hope it gives me as much fun as the first two did. Really loved the noire story telling.

Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Cwagmire21
Member since 2007 • 5896 Posts

I think I'll wait a little longer for the bargain bin. I've got enough to tie me over and some ohter upcoming titles which got my interest. I'm waiting for Max Payne 3 now, looks really promising; I hope it gives me as much fun as the first two did. Really loved the noire story telling.

geitenvla

Good (for gamers) and bad (developers) things about PC gaming: you rarely have to pay full price for a game unless you just have to have it day 1. My backlog is too big right now to pay full price for anything at the moment.

However, Alan Wake is definitely on my wishlist, looks really fun! :)

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#13 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11793 Posts

I enjoyed it on the 360, was a fun game with a lot of atmosphere.

I highly doubt I will get it again on pc, my GF might during a sale on steam if it's cheap.

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14 Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

I'm playing through it now, and I love the atmoshphere! Eve though the graphics do feel a bit dated, the artistic flare of the game shines through on PC in a way that can't really beseen on consoles.

The story does feel a bit "overwritten", but it's not half-bad. It's interesting in a "reading a horror/thriller paper back book" way, and it manages to keep the gameplay moving.

Try playing with the GUI and the lights off for ultimate imemrsion.

If you're the kind of person who enjoys survival horror games, and specially linear action games, pick it up now. Otherwise, I'd say maybe wait for a sale.

klusps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#15 klusps
Member since 2005 • 10386 Posts

I say wait for it to go on sale. Although it isn't really a bad game it isn't really an AAA game either. The atmosphere and graphics are amazing but the cheesy dialogue kind of took me out of it. There were some cool set-pieces but overall I thought the game play was a little average. I would give this an 8/10 but I really shouldn't be complaining that much since I snagged it for around $20 on GMG.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

The game has alot of good ideas, and have a really good setting, but sadly they managed to muck it up with the gameplay, It would have been more effective with far less combat. More tension and a story that would be less "Stephen king".

It is a good game, what carries it the most, are the characters, dialogue, and story, there is very little in exploration, pretty much a straight line.

But I quite liked it. Despite the flaws, it looks pretty good, plays pretty well, and can put a smile on my face pretty often. It aint no horror game, and there is some jarring between the backdrop, and the gameplay as mentioned above.

They could have made one hell of an impressive horror game if they had taken the "less is more" approach, and had it be more free roaming. Because the game is most unsetteling when you are halfway lost in the fog of the forrest, with wierd noises and sights.

It falls fast to a pretty straight farwards 3rd person shooter when enemies comes about. And they do so pretty fast, and in fairly huge number. Thus ruining the mood completely.

But man the writers at Remedy sure can write some good/funny dialogue ^^

I would say it is worth a buy, it has next to 0 replay value tho, so the worth is up to the player, I do not regret buying it for the 28 bucks or so it was at launch, but I can see how people who are more guarded with thier spending would like to wait for a sale.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22416 Posts
I'm currently playing through it, and I'm definitely enjoying it. Great atmosphere. Whether I'd pay full price for it again, probably not.
Jabby250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Jabby250
Member since 2011 • 524 Posts

I would wait for a sale or skip it all together. I've played 8 hrs so far and the game is a disappointment. It feels several years too late and its horribly overwritten. The game play is ridiculously simple, padded only by frequent cutscenes, featuring a weak cast of uninteresting characters and caricatures. I get caught up very easily in the atmosphere and mood of games and films but AW is one of the least scariest horror titles I can remember. They don't even try to spook you.

biggest_loser

I'm not sure if the point was to scare or shock you. It's more like the developers were trying to set a mood.

dangamit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 dangamit
Member since 2010 • 664 Posts
I'm an atmosphere junkie so I'm liking it so far (just finished Episode 3).
rhazzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 rhazzy
Member since 2009 • 1516 Posts

It is a very good game...from the atmosphere to the story the game is very good...I was actually surprised about how good the game is.

The graphics are dated...but in a good way :D...come to think of it the graphics are also good...and there are brilliant horror moments in the game also :D

So there you have it:

Story - Very Good

Atmosphere - Very Good

Graphics - from Good to Very Good :D

Movment mechanics and controls - Poor

And as a "+" u can add genuine scary moments.

P.S. If you liked Dead Space you will love Alan Wake...

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#21 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

If you like a good story, good atmosphere or interesting characters then pick it up!

Its also a very good port, runs very well.

If you want more shooting then story/atmosphere then you might not like it.

Must buy for anyone who can appreciate a great story and awesome atmosphere.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

It is a very good game...from the atmosphere to the story the game is very good...I was actually surprised about how good the game is.

The graphics are dated...but in a good way :D...come to think of it the graphics are also good...and there are brilliant horror moments in the game also :D

rhazzy

How can you say that?

It looks better than games that have come out this year.

Are you playing it on Full Graphics?

I sometimes can't believe how awesome it looks.

agpickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 agpickle
Member since 2006 • 3293 Posts

Just finished it. I liked it more than I thought I would and i think $30 is a fair price. I was getting a little bored of the combat near the end though.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 FelipeInside

Just finished it. I liked it more than I thought I would and i think $30 is a fair price. I was getting a little bored of the combat near the end though.

agpickle
Play the DLCs, brings combat to a new level imo. "The Writer" DLC is pretty awesome.
agpickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 agpickle
Member since 2006 • 3293 Posts

[QUOTE="agpickle"]

FelipeInside

Play the DLCs, brings combat to a new level imo. "The Writer" DLC is pretty awesome.

I was planning to play though those soon, good to know.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="agpickle"]

agpickle

I was planning to play though those soon, good to know.

There's also a Real Live Action Show when ur finished: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=bright+falls
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

biggest_loser
I gotta agree with most of BL's points, but there aren't that many games in this genre that are worth playing. My verdict: Yes, it's worth it.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="biggest_loser"]

Elann2008
I gotta agree with most of BL's points, but there aren't that many games in this genre that are worth playing. My verdict: Yes, it's worth it.

I have to disagree. Games like these don't come along that often. It's one of the few games where story, atmosphere, characters and visual art is put forward instead of gameplay and shooting mechanics. It was like reading a Stephen King novel (which I think he was involved with AW somehow cause they mention him like 5 times). If you didn't get scared during this game, you were playing it wrong.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Elann2008
[QUOTE="Elann2008"][QUOTE="biggest_loser"]

FelipeInside

I have to disagree. Games like these don't come along that often. It's one of the few games where story, atmosphere, characters and visual art is put forward instead of gameplay and shooting mechanics. It was like reading a Stephen King novel (which I think he was involved with AW somehow cause they mention him like 5 times). If you didn't get scared during this game, you were playing it wrong.

I respect your opinion but Alan Wake was far from scary. It was mysterious, twisted, and at times, I felt almost insane because of the character and how he was entrapped in this horrifying experience. Scary? No. Disturbed? Yes.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="Elann2008"] I gotta agree with most of BL's points, but there aren't that many games in this genre that are worth playing. My verdict: Yes, it's worth it.Elann2008

I respect your opinion but Alan Wake was far from scary. It was mysterious, twisted, and at times, I felt almost insane because of the character and how he was entrapped in this horrifying experience. Scary? No. Disturbed? Yes.

Did u play it with the lights off, at night and headphones or loud speakers?

Cause it scared the living s*** out of me.... or maybe I'm just a pansy :)

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Elann2008

[QUOTE="Elann2008"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"] I have to disagree. Games like these don't come along that often. It's one of the few games where story, atmosphere, characters and visual art is put forward instead of gameplay and shooting mechanics. It was like reading a Stephen King novel (which I think he was involved with AW somehow cause they mention him like 5 times). If you didn't get scared during this game, you were playing it wrong.FelipeInside

Did u play it with the lights off, at night and headphones or loud speakers?

Cause it scared the living s*** out of me.... or maybe I'm just a pansy :)

Naw, I don't think you're pansy. We have our own thresholds of fear. I couldn't watch "A Tale of Two Sisters" once it got to the "scary" part, I turned it off right away (I was watching it with the lights off, headphones, and I live alone lol). I admit I am a pansy to the horror genre, movies and video games but Alan Wake didn't do it for me. Although, I felt really disturbed and emotionally frustrated when I pictured myself in the character's shoes. Maybe I gotta buy it and play it again (I played it on the Xbox 360, purchased it day one).
survivor9712

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32 survivor9712
Member since 2010 • 366 Posts
Readinf through this thread... Different strokes for different folks I guess. The game is beautiful though graphically from what I've seen from other posts.
Pomn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Pomn

Well the story, atmosphere and setting have sold me. It's downloading on steam at the moment and when I get home from work it will get played.

Thanks for all the comments! Definitely helped me and will hopefully help others.

BTW I love games with suspense and a good story, linear doesn't bother me so much when the story is good enough to power it through, look at Max Payne, very linear but my word those two are some of my favourite ever games.

gravitygamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 gravitygamer
Member since 2010 • 948 Posts
it scared me..lights OFF,5.1 surround...need to walk around with a torch from today.lol..
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 FelipeInside
it scared me..lights OFF,5.1 surround...need to walk around with a torch from today.lol..gravitygamer
Every time I hear birds outside I get scared.....lol
dav2693

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 dav2693
Member since 2010 • 423 Posts

Hell yes it's worth it, One of the best games i have played, the story is amazing, i'm at "the signal dlc" and i don't want it to end :P

flipin_jackass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 flipin_jackass
Member since 2004 • 9772 Posts
[QUOTE="gravitygamer"]it scared me..lights OFF,5.1 surround...need to walk around with a torch from today.lol..FelipeInside

And they wonder why they limit mature games in Australia. :P j/k
SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#38 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

Its gotten some amazing reviews, and it looks amazing, though I haven't played it myself.

I actually plan on picking it up myself for PC, maybe during the next Steam sale, but I'm not sure about now since there are other games holding my interest and my wallet's interest.

CoS_Ethan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 CoS_Ethan
Member since 2011 • 381 Posts

Go for it, although I only played the game for an hour, I do think that it's worht buying. It is a well-done triller game.

robertlie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 robertlie
Member since 2003 • 866 Posts

[QUOTE="gravitygamer"]it scared me..lights OFF,5.1 surround...need to walk around with a torch from today.lol..FelipeInside

This game actually scared the crap outta me too for some reason. Strange, cuz movies never scare me. But when it comes to games i'm really easily scared. I had friggin goosebumps most of the time. Man i love this game. :D

Braomius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Braomius
Member since 2008 • 29 Posts

its horribly overwritten.

biggest_loser

lmao...I don't even..

Anyways yes its worth the buy if you're looking for a great story with great voice acting. It has that thriller feel without all the over the top "boo scares" horror games love to do these days. I personally don't buy games without multiplayer unless their is plenty of story and content. This one will keep you busy for 14 hours or so, whatever your price is on 14 hours of great content.

Side note: If you have a 360 you can pick it up for 60-70% cheaper.

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#42 ShadowsDemon
Member since 2012 • 10059 Posts
It's a great game, but I'm waiting for a price drop.
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#43 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

it's pretty boring

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 FelipeInside

it's pretty boring

JigglyWiggly_
??? I guess these kind of games are just not ur thing.
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]

it's pretty boring

FelipeInside
??? I guess these kind of games are just not ur thing.

i guess lol
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#47 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts

[QUOTE="biggest_loser"]

its horribly overwritten.

Braomius

lmao...I don't even..

Anyways yes its worth the buy if you're looking for a great story with great voice acting. It has that thriller feel without all the over the top "boo scares" horror games love to do these days. I personally don't buy games without multiplayer unless their is plenty of story and content. This one will keep you busy for 14 hours or so, whatever your price is on 14 hours of great content.

Side note: If you have a 360 you can pick it up for 60-70% cheaper.

Because we all love voiceovers explaining every second detail of the action and plot right?

lol, seriously there's a bit where there's a locked garage door and he says 'i had to do something to the lock...'

"Alan Wake: Intended for people who have never played a game before or come down in the last shower"

Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

I liked the exploration and the combat. The combat is all about outmaneuvering the enemy and timing. I wasn't expecting that, it was actually refreshing compared to other 3rd person games.

The Max Payne games and Alan Wake are f*cking hilarious. I hope nobody takes these games seriously, because Sam Lake sure as hell didn't. They're filled with cliches, references and crap writing. The fact that everything bad is done so on purpose is what makes them so funny. Alan Wake himself is supposed to be some Dan Brown character. By the way, he's sort of a dick, isn't it? I loved it.

How people can listen to that FBI agent or to the Taken (OMEGA 3 FATTY ACIDS LOLOLO) and still think Alan Wake is SERIOUS BUSINESS is a mystery to me.

I'm looking forward to American Nightmare because that one turns the camp up to 11.

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#49 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
I think it's a great game, very much worth buying at $30
csftar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 csftar
Member since 2009 • 937 Posts

Well, i don't have it for PC, since i don't need it, i played it when it first came out on 360, so i can't comment about changes for PC(not that there are any, since, from what i understand, the only change are the Graphics).

i'll say it up front, the game is good, but not without problems, and i don't know if it's worth the full price

The atmosphere is fantastic, The Writing is.... strange, but strong(for the most part), Alan Wake is a Great Protagonist, it has some really intense moments, and(as a complete Stephen King and Twin Peaks Fanboy) the Hole Stephen King inspiration made me giddy like a School girl.

In the Bad, the Faces creep me the sh*t out, the Shooting is somewhat problematic(though not unplayable) and the combat is Too easy(i died about 3 times, and 1 was because i fell off a cliff like a moron,lol), at times the writing is stupid( to quote Yahtzee "But it's a shame Alan never uses his foreknowledge to prevent any of the phenomenally bad decisions he's destined to make. For example, accepting the hospitality of a character who despite her previously cheerful demeanor is now speaking in a strange, emotionless monotone, with cold dead eyes and wearing a t-shirt reading "I Am Possessed", without even entertaining the notion of her being possessed until after having some of her homemade lemon-and-sleeping pill tea"), and it's too short and without enough extras to justify a full prize.

So i'd say if you can overlook the slightly problematic combat and instead enjoy the atmosphere, then go for it.

if none of the good things make you sprout a big ,fat Hard-on for the game, then i can only recommend renting it cause it's too short.

if you can't get over the Combat(which is pretty silly, since it isn't that bad, imo), then walk away and don't look back.