This topic is locked from further discussion.

Z_scorpio_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Z_scorpio_Z
Member since 2004 • 227 Posts

Hi, I have a question about the ageia PhysiX card. I'm currently building a gaming rig, and I have a 9800gtx card, and I was wondering if I should go ahead and buy this physix card. Now I know that nvidia has bought aegia, but I'm not sure if the physix engine has been already implemented in the 9800 series cards. anyone have any info? thx.

Xtraflo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Xtraflo
Member since 2007 • 700 Posts

Not sure how many people on this and many other forums has commented that the Ageia PhysX card is just Rubbish. It really only works with specified games. AND, today's VG cards can download drivers that use AGEIA software to support these games. I also say The AGEIA PhysX is rubbish. :)

HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 HuusAsking
Member since 2006 • 15270 Posts

Hi, I have a question about the ageia PhysiX card. I'm currently building a gaming rig, and I have a 9800gtx card, and I was wondering if I should go ahead and buy this physix card. Now I know that nvidia has bought aegia, but I'm not sure if the physix engine has been already implemented in the 9800 series cards. anyone have any info? thx.

Z_scorpio_Z
PhysX hardware has not been integrated into nVidia hardware yet. We'll probably see it in future, but not as of now. As for the PhysX card, I wouldn't recommend getting it. It support is relatively limited, and with nVidia having bought out Aegia, you won't see any support for current games such as Crysis.
cravinmild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 cravinmild
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
Ageia Physix card i think is no longer being sold(mabey no longer made) although bfg had the exclusive and did have them (150$ from the original 275$+ I know cause i was also looking in to them about a year ago NCIX was at one time listing them also) They run off pci slot (was said that had enuff bandwidth with pci and were not looking at releasing for agp or pci-e). They had their own processer and drivers to run on games that supported it (was to be 200 or so titles they were in talks with) but i think there was really only a handful of titles that utilized it at that time(1 year ago). Heres the bad, They killed frame rates even on a phat system it killed fps dropping to an almost unplayabe level(from what i read-and i did alot of reading). I also watched alot of videos playing games using the card and they looked very very cool. I would say the difference is like the differance of an older 1650 pro ati GC to a newer G92 nvidia gc if u can see that basicaly it was a big change. Clothes would blow in the wind and ripple. Stuff would move like u think it should-far more motion pic like. The ability to blast out parts of buildings(beams and such) and have the building crumble realistacaly. Here is the good (as i understand it----this is not a new topic and is being discussed quite abit through various forums). On the Nvidia G80 and G90 GC's have physixs onboard and use it in the games u play right now somewhat. On the ATI side they (from what i understand) also are using some kind of physics on their new cards but based on a different company's software (the two companys are pushing their own physics to be used---think beta vs vhs or hd dvd vs blueray). There is lots of info with basic search words ie. Game physics or ATI physics or Nvidia Physics--U get the idea. Myself i would let the card die, i think everyone has. Ps it looked very very coooool had lights all over it that glowed. GL
HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 HuusAsking
Member since 2006 • 15270 Posts

Ageia Physix card i think is no longer being sold(mabey no longer made) although bfg had the exclusive and did have them (150$ from the original 275$+ I know cause i was also looking in to them about a year ago NCIX was at one time listing them also) They run off pci slot (was said that had enuff bandwidth with pci and were not looking at releasing for agp or pci-e). They had their own processer and drivers to run on games that supported it (was to be 200 or so titles they were in talks with) but i think there was really only a handful of titles that utilized it at that time(1 year ago). Heres the bad, They killed frame rates even on a phat system it killed fps dropping to an almost unplayabe level(from what i read-and i did alot of reading). I also watched alot of videos playing games using the card and they looked very very cool. I would say the difference is like the differance of an older 1650 pro ati GC to a newer G92 nvidia gc if u can see that basicaly it was a big change. Clothes would blow in the wind and ripple. Stuff would move like u think it should-far more motion pic like. The ability to blast out parts of buildings(beams and such) and have the building crumble realistacaly. Here is the good (as i understand it----this is not a new topic and is being discussed quite abit through various forums). On the Nvidia G80 and G90 GC's have physixs onboard and use it in the games u play right now somewhat. On the ATI side they (from what i understand) also are using some kind of physics on their new cards but based on a different company's software (the two companys are pushing their own physics to be used---think beta vs vhs or hd dvd vs blueray). There is lots of info with basic search words ie. Game physics or ATI physics or Nvidia Physics--U get the idea. Myself i would let the card die, i think everyone has. Ps it looked very very coooool had lights all over it that glowed. GL cravinmild
ATI seems to be using its own physics engine (nVidia's will be PhysX-based, and Havok is now owned by Intel). As for nVidia's physics support, they're not in current cards. Don't expect them until at least the G200 series.

PS. I stand at least partially corrected. nVidia does plan to add some degree of PhysX functionality into CUDA-capable (read: GeForce 8 & up) graphics cards via a driver update (CUDA is how PhysX will be added to the card). Has this download been made available as yet?

codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#6 codezer0
Member since 2004 • 15898 Posts
Great idea in principle, sadly bad execution. NVIDIA has currently bought out Ageia with the intent of implementing GPU-accelerated PhysX API support for those games that would still use it (e.g. all UE3 based games since UT3). However, there has yet to be a driver or software package yet released to make this possible. hardware-accelerated physics is the future, but seems in the case of the PhysX, the market was simply not ready, and Ubi forced them to release a product too soon.
GuitarFreak2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 GuitarFreak2
Member since 2006 • 670 Posts
[QUOTE="Z_scorpio_Z"]

HuusAsking

PhysX hardware has not been integrated into nVidia hardware yet. We'll probably see it in future, but not as of now. As for the PhysX card, I wouldn't recommend getting it. It support is relatively limited, and with nVidia having bought out Aegia, you won't see any support for current games such as Crysis.

It's integrated in the GTX 280/260 from what I've heard.

I wouldn't get it. Not many games use it, and I'm sure you can find somewhere else to spend the $150. Better cpu perhaps?

aveman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 aveman1
Member since 2004 • 3383 Posts
No, no, and no. The Physics card is a waste. Do not touch it.
Z_scorpio_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Z_scorpio_Z
Member since 2004 • 227 Posts
Hmmm, thx a lot guys, lots of usefull information from everyone. So I guess I'll follow everyone's advice and I'll save my money for something else.