Activision VP says COD4 is One of the Greatest Games Ever Created

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Gooeykat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

User Lists: 0

#1 Gooeykat
Member since 2006 • 3412 Posts

Discussion

Officials from Activision have claimed that Call Of Duty 4: Modern Warfare was the number one selling title of 2007. Combined global sales for the multiformat title is put at 7 million units, using a combination of NPD Group, Chart-Track and The GfK Group data...

"We're very excited about this achievement especially given so many competitive titles this year," said Will Kassoy, senior vice president of global brand management at Activision.

"Consumer and critics agree that Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare is one of the best games ever created and further establishes Call of Duty as one of the premier brands in the industry. This ground-breaking game and franchise continue to establish new standards by which all other action games will be judged," he added.

johnny27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 johnny27
Member since 2006 • 4400 Posts
it is a very good game but at the rate there pumping out sequels we may have already moved on and forgotten it.
ineedanap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 ineedanap
Member since 2007 • 734 Posts
And good for them.
Cdscottie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 Cdscottie
Member since 2004 • 1872 Posts
In all honesty, I enjoy the game but I would not consider it one of the best games every created.
mo0ksi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 mo0ksi
Member since 2007 • 12337 Posts
It's not one of the best. In fact, it's nowhere nare being one of the best. It's a good game, but it's just CoD2 with a new coat of paint.
aliblabla2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 aliblabla2007
Member since 2007 • 16756 Posts
Well, Activision VP is wrong.
SnipeyMcSnipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 SnipeyMcSnipe
Member since 2006 • 2010 Posts
I would consider it in probably the top 5 shooters, but not games ever.
04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts
Single player is good, but multiplayer is lacking. Give me CoD:UO MP any day :)
_iMMuNiTy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9 _iMMuNiTy_
Member since 2005 • 2067 Posts
Am I the only one who finds it funny that Activision brags about a game they didn't lay a finger on as if it was theirs? They were 'only' the publishers. Heh.
dayaccus007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#10 dayaccus007
Member since 2007 • 4349 Posts

It's not one of the best. In fact, it's nowhere nare being one of the best. It's a good game, but it's just CoD2 with a new coat of paint.mo0ksi

Cod4 and Cod2 are very different: modern combat vs. WW2; better gameplay for COD4 and better online support(the multiplayer is more fun for COD4)

D9-THC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 D9-THC
Member since 2007 • 3081 Posts

Meh...

It's decent but easily forgotten.

mfsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 mfsa
Member since 2007 • 3328 Posts

I got about half way into CoD4 and then just... stopped playing it. It's not that I don't like it - I do like it. It's not that I don't have the time, or that I don't want to play...

...I just stopped.

Compared with CoD2, which I played through entirely the weekend I got it... CoD4 is just... well, Call of Duty. Four.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#13 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

Am I the only one who finds it funny that Activision brags about a game they didn't lay a finger on as if it was theirs? They were 'only' the publishers. Heh._iMMuNiTy_

It is theirs. They own the franchise and they own Infinity Ward.

Anyway, what do you expect them to say? It sold like a bajillion copies. For them it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. In the real world, Call of Duty 4 is a great game, but another complete rehash. They changed the setting (kudos on that) and heightened the intensity, but the game still plays exactly like it did in 2003.

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 JP_Russell
Member since 2005 • 12893 Posts

An Activision higher-up considers a game they published to be one of the best ever? You don't say.

dayaccus007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 dayaccus007
Member since 2007 • 4349 Posts
Is the greatest game Activision published but is not the greatest ever created.
naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 naval
Member since 2003 • 11108 Posts
naah its not even better than cod : uo
_iMMuNiTy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#17 _iMMuNiTy_
Member since 2005 • 2067 Posts

[QUOTE="_iMMuNiTy_"]Am I the only one who finds it funny that Activision brags about a game they didn't lay a finger on as if it was theirs? They were 'only' the publishers. Heh.UpInFlames

It is theirs. They own the franchise and they own Infinity Ward.

But did they touch the game?

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
Its a shame the singleplayer in my opinion sucks.. This game has to be the most over-rated game this year.. The multiplayer is good but it is not head and shoulders above all the other ones that were just released or have been out for years.... The singleplayer in my eyes was something I would expect seeing 7 to 10 years ago..
AngelB1ack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 AngelB1ack
Member since 2005 • 7936 Posts
CoD4 is going to be the mold for FPS games to come. Sure they could improve some things but if they were to release an expansion right now with more levels and perks etc...people would eat it up and they could make tons more money. Sure the maps could be larger and they could have stats like BF2, but when your playing you can actually see a enemies shadow around the corner if the lighting is right and also the game just feels alive explosions and things rolling around on the ground etc.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-59d151f079814

CoD4 is going to be the mold for FPS games to come. Sure they could improve some things but if they were to release an expansion right now with more levels and perks etc...people would eat it up and they could make tons more money. Sure the maps could be larger and they could have stats like BF2, but when your playing you can actually see a enemies shadow around the corner if the lighting is right and also the game just feels alive explosions and things rolling around on the ground etc.AngelB1ack

I hope not! Extremely linear gameplay where picket fences block my path... The inability to open doors.. Broken AI that focuses on you the majority of the time instead of Team mates even when you are behind cover and they are not.. Barrels that must be bolted to the floor with 4 foot rods to make them unmovable while being made by adamnaitum or some unbreakable metal meaning its the ultimate cover.. Throwing of unrealistic amounts of guys at you.. Yeah sorry the sniper mission in the abadoned city in the end is rediculous.. Freaking throwing look like 100+ guys at you.. Give me a break.. I thought this game went for realism..

EndersAres

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 EndersAres
Member since 2005 • 5711 Posts

I was playing CoD4 the other day I realised that the stat system is a ripoff of novalogics system. I didn't notice at first because I havn't played on in a while but when I did I laughed. Novas is 50 levels per game type plus ranks and achievement pins. Too be honest CoD4 online is just bf2 without vehicles.

It may have been said before but it's so true. Everyone in the world acted like we havn't seen a modern shooter before CoD4. It's just funny to me because compared to other online mp modern shooter CoD4 lacks. It's already infested with cheaters.

Noldorin2646

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Noldorin2646
Member since 2007 • 641 Posts

Is the greatest game Activision published but is not the greatest ever created.dayaccus007

Nah, that title belongs to Rome: Total War.

Gnr_Helsing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Gnr_Helsing
Member since 2004 • 1602 Posts
I could agree, it is one of the best games ever created. I've never put so many hours into one game before.
Avatar image for smokeydabear076
smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 smokeydabear076
Member since 2004 • 22109 Posts
I don't agree with him. The game isn't even close to being one of the greatest games ever created.
AngelB1ack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 AngelB1ack
Member since 2005 • 7936 Posts
throwing look like 100+ guys at you.. Give me a break.. I thought this game went for realism..sSubZerOo
If you want realism join the armed forces...these are games.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-59d151f079814

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]throwing look like 100+ guys at you.. Give me a break.. I thought this game went for realism..AngelB1ack

There in lies the problem, the game was suppose to be psuedo realistic.. This is odvious that their broken AI and linear play they woul dhave to throw you something that large to make it seem challenging..

DJGOON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 DJGOON
Member since 2005 • 603 Posts

[QUOTE="AngelB1ack"][QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]throwing look like 100+ guys at you.. Give me a break.. I thought this game went for realism..sSubZerOo

There in lies the problem, the game was suppose to be psuedo realistic.. This is odvious that their broken AI and linear play they woul dhave to throw you something that large to make it seem challenging..

Your missing the point of COD 4. Its not about realism like Ghost Recon, Americas Army or Swat 4 etc. Its about placing you in a blockbuster war movie. They are going to restrict your path otherwise the tempo of the game would slow down - its supposed to be fast paced, thats why unless you keep moving the enemy keeps respawning.

I would say COD4 is def one of the greatest games ever. Apart from Deus Ex and Half life name a better FPS?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-59d151f079814
[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

[QUOTE="AngelB1ack"][QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]throwing look like 100+ guys at you.. Give me a break.. I thought this game went for realism..DJGOON

Your missing the point of COD 4. Its not about realism like Ghost Recon, Americas Army or Swat 4 etc. Its about placing you in a blockbuster war movie. They are going to restrict your path otherwise the tempo of the game would slow down - its supposed to be fast paced, thats why unless you keep moving the enemy keeps respawning.

I would say COD4 is def one of the greatest games ever. Apart from Deus Ex and Half life name a better FPS?

Tempo of the game? You have to wait for people to open the door for you.. I honestly thought Crysis, Half-Life 2, Fears (not the expansion), Dark Forces 2, Aliens Vs Predator 2, even bioshock etc etc were superior single player fps's.. Though some of those are most definitely linear they do have some realistic barriers in most spots to them, instead of having a picket fence blocking your path..

I am sorry Crysis's singleplayer alone shows how inferior CoD4's is in all honesty.. Note I am not talking about multiplayer, its multiplayer is alright its nothign spectacular. To me CoD4 is just a extremely over-rated game.

DJGOON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 DJGOON
Member since 2005 • 603 Posts
[QUOTE="DJGOON"][QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

[QUOTE="AngelB1ack"][QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]throwing look like 100+ guys at you.. Give me a break.. I thought this game went for realism..sSubZerOo

Tempo of the game? You have to wait for people to open the door for you.. I honestly thought Crysis, Half-Life 2, Fears (not the expansion), Dark Forces 2, Aliens Vs Predator 2, even bioshock etc etc were superior single player fps's.. Though some of those are most definitely linear they do have some realistic barriers in most spots to them, instead of having a picket fence blocking your path..

I am sorry Crysis's singleplayer alone shows how inferior CoD4's is in all honesty.. Note I am not talking about multiplayer, its multiplayer is alright its nothign spectacular. To me CoD4 is just a extremely over-rated game.

Opening the door is cuz awesome Cpt Price is gonna go all Chuck Norris and clears the room ;). There are not that many doors you have to wait for.

I am sure most would agree that its a fast paced game and you do get overwhelmed at times which is a feeling other FPS don't give me. For that reason you don't really go exploring the terrain, thats not to say there is only one path for everything. Games like Half-Life 2, Bioshock were not exactly the open world type either.

Personally I played COD 4 before Crysis but I wish it was the other way around since I felt dissapointed with Crysis' effort compared to COD 4.

Cdscottie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30 Cdscottie
Member since 2004 • 1872 Posts

I could agree, it is one of the best games ever created. I've never put so many hours into one game before.Gnr_Helsing

Guess you never played Doom, Half-Life, Counter-Strike, Starcraft, Warcraft, Homeworld, Wolfenstein, Duke Nukem, Diablo 2, Baldurs Gate, KOTOR? Because all of those games that have become classic are what I like to define as great games. Each one of them brought something new to the table and did it well. Call of duty 4 was just another "I'll play it when I feel like it again" game to me. Sure, you invested the most time into that one game but people invest thousands of hours into WoW but you don't see them considering it is one of the best games ever.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-59d151f079814
[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"][QUOTE="DJGOON"][QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

[QUOTE="AngelB1ack"][QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]throwing look like 100+ guys at you.. Give me a break.. I thought this game went for realism..DJGOON

Opening the door is cuz awesome Cpt Price is gonna go all Chuck Norris and clears the room ;). There are not that many doors you have to wait for.

I am sure most would agree that its a fast paced game and you do get overwhelmed at times which is a feeling other FPS don't give me.

There is a problem with that though. For one the game isn't that fast paced.. And secondly the game using simplistic code meaning if you do the logical thing and sit back and fight tons of soldiers will spawn.. If you rush in the infinite spawn is gone and no one fights you..

For that reason you don't really go exploring the terrain, thats not to say there is only one path for everything. Games like Half-Life 2, Bioshock were not exactly the open world type either.

I never argued that Half-Life 2 and Bioshock were open ended.. But they had REALISTIC barriers.. HEre you get caught behind a picket fence where you CAN'T get by.. Surely the designers would understand this..

Personally I played COD 4 before Crysis but I wish it was the other way around since I felt dissapointed with Crysis' effort compared to COD 4.

agree to disagree, I couldn't even finish the entirety of CoD4 it was just so damn simplistic in my eyes.. With poor AI, spawning enemies, barrels that don't move and act like tank armor, rediculous amounts of guys thrown at you, sickeningly linear.. To me in some of those missions I felt like I was the guy in that one Mike Vick commerical where the guy takes a amusement ride as the quaterback.

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 JP_Russell
Member since 2005 • 12893 Posts

Games like Half-Life 2, Bioshock were not exactly the open world type either.DJGOON

As he said, they didn't use the lame methods of blocking your paths off, as in, putting obstructions that you can't get past that would never block your way in real life (picket fences, small rock piles, stuff like that). IW should have designed the levels so that there was none of that. Absolutely none, because it can break immersion on an acceptable level, and it just wreaks of laziness and unwillingness to think up a more feasible barrier. Not trying to bash IW as a whole, but they've had a tendency to do this from day one with CoD1, and linear level design that constantly isn't covered up well simply cannot be overlooked as at least a somewhat negative point.